Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR out in September, so says leading industry website

According to trade industry website – MCVUK, Star Wars: The Old Republic will arrive later than expected, in September 2011.  Here is the low down -

BioWare’s MMO will arrive later than some had expected, sources tell MCV

Long-awaited MMO Star Wars: Old Republic will be released worldwide this September, development sources have told MCV. The date is later than many had predicted, with EA CEO John Riccitiello himself suggesting a year ago that a spring 2011 release was likely. The game has been in development for over two years and is, by the admission of developer BioWare, its biggest title to date with “more content than Mass Effect one and two, Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur’s Gate put together”.

More through the link

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

Comments

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

some sites will publish ANYTHING just to get some hits to show for sponsors...

its a second GOSSIP "news" in like 3 days...

btw i checked Your site, and unfortunately You cant even quote everything that Your "sources" (copy/paste) publish

i visit Your site and see some quotes from EAlouse, who we all know its a guy worth a LOT of credit...yeah... and even he says:

"Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA."

on Your site its just :

“Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs " period

i think thats called "creative journalism" currently, GL with getting stabile number of "hits" on site with news like this, no wonder U have to "repost" that on other forums just to lure new visitors.

anyway not further than day or two ago Whilan already posted that we propably will soon have real date at least a month, thx to EA "gathering" lets wait till than with hopes and griefs  ;)

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I've been thinking late Sept-early Nov for a few weeks now.  I don't think it's a coincidence that we've been seeing stories recently about Spring 2011 not happening.  I think they're trying to prepare people for the bad news and lessen the e-rage on the forums.  I expect a formal announcement before PAX in March.

TBH I am looking forward to a "told ya so" or two aimed at a few people on the forums.  image

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If they were going to release this Spring, I would have expected some sort of announcement before now on the release date. I'm not saying the September date is correct, but a Summer or later release seems much more likely right now.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Meh if it gets pushed back, then it does.  I no longer worry about push backs.  Now if its gets cancelled then i'll be bummed, but i don't see that happen at all.

I'll wait till EA themselves say it in the feb 1 conf call they are suppose to have. If they say sep then it's sep.  Least then we will have a release date.  Thats still good news.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Smart move by Bioware. TOR drops just as Rifts 6 moths founders sub runs out. They also get a nice lead with Tera and GW2 releasing later.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• NebirothNebiroth Member UncommonPosts: 21

Good:) Good:)

We still have eight months of fun in SWG and then we'll see what Bioware has prepared for us:)

• KickphatKickphat Member Posts: 189

I don't think those guys know what they are talking about because they said it's only been in development for 2 years. that is when they came out and said they have been working on the game.

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Originally posted by whilan

Meh if it gets pushed back, then it does.  I no longer worry about push backs.  Now if its gets cancelled then i'll be bummed, but i don't see that happen at all.

I'll wait till EA themselves say it in the feb 1 conf call they are suppose to have. If they say sep then it's sep.  Least then we will have a release date.  Thats still good news.

what he said ^ ^

only thing that makes me irritated about this game is all the people spreading gossip and calling them "news"

when we will have some valid announcements we will talk about it, till than its just gossip and "baiting"   ;P

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

This article sounds really fishy. I was surprised when the article said SWTOR been only in development for 2 years. Don't MMO normally take 4 years?

Just my guess on these:

FFXIV 3 years, w/ 5 months of beta

DCUO: 4 years w/ 4 months of beta

GW2: 4 years?

I have three problems with this article.

1. While the statement development for over two years is correct.  This could be misleading when development is closer to 5 years, not just over two as i'm sure most would first think.

2. That anonymous Bioware dev.  Thats a flat out lie. That was EALouse which was a fired Mythic employee that never even worked with BW.  So how hes a BW dev i don't even understand.

3. Development sources have told MCV...which development sources? no link to the source there.  It's  probably just me but i don't like when some person doesn't give a source, how do i know they aren't guessing or at worse iying to us to get hits.

I'm not saying that it can't be pushed back, it's entirely possible it could be,  just a few things make me scratch my head. Some of these were brought up by hekke before me, but i thought i go over them again and give my opinion and thoughts on it. 

I do want to thank the OP for giving out the link.  If this turns out to be true, then okay, september it is, if it proves to be false then no harm done, another person posting.  In no way am i going to shoot the messenger :P

Heres is the entire article (i highlighted in red where my first two points come from for easy reference, sorry for the grey text it's how it copied, finally the third is on where their source as it's anon to)

BioWare's MMO will arrive later than some had expected, sources tell MCV

Long-awaited MMO Star Wars: Old Republic will be released worldwide this September, development sources have told MCV.

The date is later than many had predicted, with EA CEO John Riccitiello himself suggesting a year ago that a spring 2011 release was likely.

The game has been in development for over two years and is, by the admission of developer BioWare, its biggest title to date with "more content than Mass Effect one and two, Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic and Baldur's Gate put together".

Sadly, the game has also been embroiled by plenty of negative press.

An anonymous BioWare dev claimed in October that over $300m had been spent on developing the title and that the game "will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs".

In November, Bigpoint CEO Heiko Hubertz told attendees at the London Games Conference 2010 that he finds it hard to picture EA or BioWare ever making a profit on the title, which for the time being remains planned as a subscription MMO.

EA, unsurprisingly, is publicly far more confident about the title.

In November it assumed additional publishing, distribution and marketing duties from LucasArts. And in December it predicted that the game could potentially boast a ten year life-cycle.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Also wish to add this post from Ask a Jedi, interesting stuff.

The Old Republic To Be Released This Fall?

The rumor mill is rumbling. Is the release of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ now slated for Fall?

We’ve heard no official change in stance from the Spring 2011 date that was originally revealed. However, within the last 24 hours there have been several apparently independent indicators that this news may in fact hold some truth.

First was this post on the official forums. Generally, posts like this on internet forums can be disregarded as fodder of the unstable. But something about this post stuck out as having at least a slight ring of believability.

This morning, The Galactic Struggle posted a link to MCV, a game industry site:

Long-awaited MMO Star Wars: Old Republic will be released worldwide this September, development sources have told MCV.

Although they’re not naming their “sources,” this seems to corroborate the forum post that indicated EA had released some information to certain publications ahead of next week’s investor call. One of the items this call typically yields a release schedule for upcoming titles.

There are also certain other “credibility” issues in the article, such as the statement about TOR having been in development for “over two years.”

It’s important to reiterate: At this point, NO official comment on this has come from BioWare, EA, LucasArts or other parties directly concerned with delivering the game. Keep that in mind as you read through the various media outlets who will cover this news.

We’re working to see if we can confirm (or dispel) this rumor first hand. Stay tuned for details.

Highlighted in red, more rumors it sounds like, would wait for official word from EA or BW or some source that can give a source (like themselves :P ) before putting weight on it.

Source can be found here

http://www.askajedi.com/2011/01/26/the-old-republic-to-be-released-this-fall/

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

September, October, March...who cares?!  I'd rather it be released when it's DONE.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

May the fourth, no way they'll miss that opportunity.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by mrw0lf

? significance ?

Originally posted by TUX426

? significance ?

So they can use the play on words

May the fourth be with you

aka

may the force be with you.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

It will launch whenever ea, or if they are smare, when bioware says so.  All other bs is just that bs speculation.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

September, October, March...who cares?!  I'd rather it be released when it's DONE.

An MMO never is done.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Seems BioWare disagrees with that site if this post on the swtor.com forums, from a Community Rep for BioWare can be believed.  It was just posted yesterday too, so it is THE most recent information we have to date.

http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=255000

(Thanks to Whilan for finding this post and making it it's own thread on these forums)

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by whilan

? significance ?

So they can use the play on words

May the fourth be with you

aka

may the force be with you.

/facepalm

Originally posted by Jimmy562

An MMO never is done.

True. But releasing an unfinished game (no working auction house, no crafting, lack of content, buggy chat) would do more harm than good. I think people understood what I meant by saying "done".

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by Kickphat

I don't think those guys know what they are talking about because they said it's only been in development for 2 years. that is when they came out and said they have been working on the game.

october of 08 was indeed when they announced the title officially, however knowledge that bioware was making a MMO had been officially announced and in circulation as far back as mid 2006 when bioware first gave word that they 'had been working on a MMORPG'.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172473.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B4

The date of this article is mid 07, and it says quote:  "Last year, BioWare announced its entry into the massively multiplayer role-playing game market."

This means open knowledge of biowares development of a 'MMORPG', dates back to 2006. I personally speculate they were driven to the task of making a MMORPG about the KOTOR universe as early as 2005, when the NGE hit Star Wars Galaxies.

In fact, KOTOR 2 was released February 8th, 2005. They probably started becoming tasked on initial lore, art, story ideas, and engine development around the time they released KOTOR 2, possibly even before the official launch of KOTOR 2. Because we all know developers love to start working on their next task as early in advance as they can.

• TimmeyhTimmeyh Member Posts: 166

Dear I guess.. SWtor wont hit the shelfs this year?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

While may or september both are likely (releasing a MMO in the summer isn'tn  good idea) it seems like a guess to me. 

• levin70levin70 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by denshing

Originally posted by Kickphat

october of 08 was indeed when they announced the title officially, however knowledge that bioware was making a MMO had been officially announced and in circulation as far back as mid 2006 when bioware first gave word that they 'had been working on a MMORPG'.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172473.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B4

The date of this article is mid 07, and it says quote:  "Last year, BioWare announced its entry into the massively multiplayer role-playing game market."

This means open knowledge of biowares development of a 'MMORPG', dates back to 2006. I personally speculate they were driven to the task of making a MMORPG about the KOTOR universe as early as 2005, when the NGE hit Star Wars Galaxies.

In fact, KOTOR 2 was released February 8th, 2005. They probably started becoming tasked on initial lore, art, story ideas, and engine development around the time they released KOTOR 2, possibly even before the official launch of KOTOR 2. Because we all know developers love to start working on their next task as early in advance as they can.

"they" as in BW did not work on Kotor 2 - that was obsidian.  Kotor 1 was bioware.

Regards

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

I'll go along with the September "guesstimate", just not seeing the typical activties associated with games releasing in the next 5 months.   (See Rift as an example)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

This discussion has been closed.