Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good game but...

Been playing for a few days now, most fun in an online mmo in a long time. Enjoying more then POBTS. The game definitely gives a feeling of adventure and achievement that I never felt with POBTS.

BUT

--Some of the English translation is poorly done.

--Never been fond of the Oriental anime graphics the asian companies are so fond of.  POTBS had superb graphics and sound. Would love to see POBTS graphics merged into the UWO gameplay.

--User interface decisions are not main stream and down right just lacking in thinking through the "user experience". (Most important button choices menus pop up in small window in lower right hand corner, most of these popup menus should be front, center and larger fonts in the middle of the screen.

--Netmarble "portal" is troublesome because of browser plugins. Impression I get is net Marble is a Steam wannabe and a poorly implemented portal. Forcing browser dependancies and plugins is poor decision making.

-More importanatly, I decided to go ahead and sink some money into this experience but the site keeps failing to proceed with payment processing with no indications why.

In concolusion, the poor experience with NetMarble, and the lack of having super rock solid payment processing system makes me want to keep this game as an "ok diversion", but not worthy of dedicated MMO time playing. 

Comments

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Your comments are valid but we must first & foremost give Netmarble credit for bringing us the global English version for what is after all a 5 year old game with lots of content albeit with a few translation errors..

Netmarble (CJ Internet) are a Korean publicly listed company so if you compare to Potbs where FLS are the developers they play the role of marketing & distribution in the same way the SOE did which was appalling for FLS so they have no real control over how the game is developed by Koei in Japan who originally & still do produce UWO as a consul PS2 game.

You may have noticed that Netmarble are doing constant advertising for UWO something that SOE/FLS never did & that this is slowly paying off with a constant stream of new players joining, they are also working hard to improve the areas of payment which you have commented on.

UWO is a big mmorpg by any standard with lots of content so with time I can for-see a healthy growing population, it's still early days for the global server & Netmarble are gaining experience into western markets that will take some time to develop.

• FragtzackFragtzack Member Posts: 10

Very poor service from this company. This game is doomed to fail if they don't give payment processing #1 priority.

I even opened a "support ticket" with them, a ticket they promptly closed without even trying to resolve the issue.

Notice in the ticket problem statement, I specify the exact error message that is occuring...yet customer service replies with a generic answer and does not even acknowledge the problem statement.  I don't know if the problem "question" could be any more exact or specific then what I state.

VERY VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

SUPPORT TICKET:

Your Question

Trying to pay by VISA credit card. After entering in card number and expiration, the follow pop-up window text appears:

[9930] Authentication Failed [impermissible ECI]

Answer >>

Thank you for contacting Netmarble Customer Support!

We would be more than happy to help you with your concern; however, you failed to specify the exact error/problem that you encountered. May we suggest that you create a new ticket by clicking the “ASK US BUTTON” under the support tab and kindly attach screenshots of the exact error you are encountering.

We are looking forward to your immediate response so that we can resolve this matter as soon as possible.

For more information, please feel free to visit our official website http://global.netmarble.com

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support!

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Fragtzack

Very poor service from this company. This game is doomed to fail if they don't give payment processing #1 priority.

I even opened a "support ticket" with them, a ticket they promptly closed without even trying to resolve the issue.

Notice in the ticket problem statement, I specify the exact error message that is occuring...yet customer service replies with a generic answer and does not even acknowledge the problem statement.  I don't know if the problem "question" could be any more exact or specific then what I state.

VERY VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

SUPPORT TICKET:

Your Question

Trying to pay by VISA credit card. After entering in card number and expiration, the follow pop-up window text appears:

[9930] Authentication Failed [impermissible ECI]

Answer >>

Thank you for contacting Netmarble Customer Support!

We would be more than happy to help you with your concern; however, you failed to specify the exact error/problem that you encountered. May we suggest that you create a new ticket by clicking the “ASK US BUTTON” under the support tab and kindly attach screenshots of the exact error you are encountering.

We are looking forward to your immediate response so that we can resolve this matter as soon as possible.

For more information, please feel free to visit our official website http://global.netmarble.com

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support!

Hi Fraglzack,

I'm a UWO GA (game assistant) it looks like your credit card company refused payment.

There are some companies that do this automatically for many on-line games in foreign countries as away of protecting themselves from fraud.

You could try paypal although i'm not sure if that has been re-enabled yet due to it having to be shut down for some reason.

Umm, Visa is widely used in America and Visa is advertised on the Netmarble site as accepted.

Paypal is "Advertised" also, but there is no link on Netmarble to actually use PayPal.

So according to you, both Visa and PayPal will not work with Netmarble..

Curious why Netmarble is advertising Visa + Paypal?

IMO, the real reason the Visa card is not working is because Netmarble website does not ask for the special 3 digit code that is associated with the credit card # for authentication. This special 3 digit code is on the back of the credit card and the special 3 digit code needs to be asked for and provided to Visa. I make many online purchases, and all sites in the last 5 years or so always ask for this 3 digit code....except NetMarble.

Note, this credit card account is provided by  national bank (BOFA) for over 10 years...I also have almost perfect credit and a 12,000 limit on that Visa card. Yes, bad customer for using Visa!

Bottom line is exactly as my original post, Netmarble is not a world class company with good customer service  that is 100% ready to do business in America.

So, I guess this is the customers fault that Netmarble will not accept a standard, normal Visa credit card ?

Are you going to ask me to pay in Korean or Japanese currency next?

Netmarble can read about credit card security codes here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_Security_Code

Netmarble can learn to inter-operate online with Visa correctly starting here:

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/new_acceptance/index.html

Stop false advertising Visa and Paypal.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

haha

Funny you get better customer service from the company here then on their own website.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Fragtzack

Been playing for a few days now, most fun in an online mmo in a long time. Enjoying more then POBTS. The game definitely gives a feeling of adventure and achievement that I never felt with POBTS.

BUT

Fully agree with the original poster.

From the core gameplay this is a good game, in many aspects better than PotBS, if one can get past the horrible chat and user interface.

But the game is overrun with cheaters, multi-boxers, dupers and gold spammers and the company operating the servers for the western markets seems unable (and to a certain extent unwilling) to do anything against it.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Even if Visa approves a transaction, your credit card company can still block it.  My credit card company does that when I try to buy something for Skype, on the basis that it's a foreign transaction and therefore might be fraudulent.  I have to call them and tell them it's okay, and then they let it through.

• stormridersstormriders Member Posts: 35

This is a great game, and I do give netmarble credit for bringing it to the US. Where they fail is customer support and ingame support. GM's are not involved in the communit and leave major customer issues to GA's who really have no power at all, which set the stage for players flamming each other in forums because of unclear authority and polices.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Well, have been playing this game now for the past 4 months and still today, I can;t wait to play some more. Honnestly I have not had this feeling of looking forward to play a game so much meet my friends in it and just go have fun, since Ultima Online.

Really good game, that I think should be used as a source of inspiration and a lesson of Design for many Occidental MMORPG Devellopers.

I can see myself playing this for many years to come, for the past 9 years nothing anyone made post-UO has been able to provide fun, and I am not sure this will change in the near future ...

And the Cherry Toping is that UWO is F2P.... which brings me to a comment about people here complaining about the Payement methods...

First of all, you do not need to buy anything in this game to enjoy it (it is trully 100% F2P from start to end), however if you wish to enhance your experience try with IE, it seems their site is not optimized for Firefox or other browsers.

And finally, I do not judge games for stuff that happens outside of them, I am having imuch fun inside UWO, if their NetMarble Website has issues, that does not affect my experience in game, two different things.

Albeit I know they have made quite some improvements, removed the Browser Addons etc too.

Game is really solid, really fun, greta depth, great variety, it is sandbox, graphics are great and lower poly (not less than WoW's polycount actually), runs smooth, and is very scalable, no need for anyone to feel like they need to go out there and upgrade their PC in order to be able to join their friends.

And if you are also a Perriod Setting Afictionado (Pirates, Age of Sail Exploration, Renaissance ... etc), then you are in for an experience of your life!

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard