Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it still possible for them to merge PS3 and PC servers?

Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Because it sucks they are not :(

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Not being a big technical guy myself, I would sat that it is likely a possibility; however, I would bet big against it ever happening. The devs have mentioned several of their reasons for segregation and I think they'll stick with the current setup.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Can and will are 2 different things.

To pit someone with a mouse against someone with a PS3 constroller isn't really fair, that is why they have different servers.

• ClanRSClanRS Member UncommonPosts: 64

If they can get ps3 and pc folks on the same server for Portal 2 by allowing the cloud on their PSN.

Then they can definitly do this, if they will. I doubt it...

In a competitive environment, they might not want to mix the console and the keyboard/mouse players. Even though the pc has a gamepad. A lot of people don't use this.

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

It seems like patches are the same and games are almost the same aslo. So I think its possible, but I would be happier if they make separate patches and finally fix UI and implement PC pheriperials support.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by Loke666

Can and will are 2 different things.

To pit someone with a mouse against someone with a PS3 constroller isn't really fair, that is why they have different servers.

yeeeAA your right. I personally have been using my 360 controller, I forget you can use keyboard. When I get to raiding and stuff thow, I will prolly use the keyboard.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Yes they can.  In internal testing they mentioned all PC users and PS3 users were playing on the same servers. They said the problem spawned from the PSN IDs and station access for PC users.   Apparently they require two different login types and that was a major reason for segregation,  not technical capabilities.

Its doubtful they'd merge them anytime soon.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I don't follow DCUO but of there's any kind of competitive PvP that requires quickness and precision, mouse/keyboard will mop the floor with controllers any day.  It's hardly fair.  Unless of course they use assisted aiming for console players.  But again, hardly fair.  Though I'm sure mixing the PC and console on the same server would be fine for something like, say, Super Mario Brothers XXXtreme Online...

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Originally posted by Unlight

I don't follow DCUO but of there's any kind of competitive PvP that requires quickness and precision, mouse/keyboard will mop the floor with controllers any day.  It's hardly fair.  Unless of course they use assisted aiming for console players.  But again, hardly fair.  Though I'm sure mixing the PC and console on the same server would be fine for something like, say, Super Mario Brothers XXXtreme Online...

Not true with DCUO,  I play with a 360 control, and anyone who's faced me could tell you I'm a rather formidable player.  Some people in my league use M&K and swear by it,  but I'm happier with my controller, its more comfortable, and I can move faster and more fluid with it.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Queues not long enough? 15 mins to get on sometimes, just not seeing the need personally.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

My personal - need, was because I have a friend that purchased it for PS3 and another that might as well :( I asked becaue to my understanding, FF11 was on 360, PS3 and PC with shared servers.  But the loggin issue sounds like a stupid reason, IMO. 

• FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Unlight

For FPSs this is true, for Action games like DCUO this is not true. 

Personally, I bought my 360 Controller, so that I could play Action games. It fit right in with DCUO and I couldn't imagine playing it with a mouse a keyboard. I've tried to play Action games on PC in the past, and they just don't work well with WASD controls and mouse clicks. 

Try to play an XMen game or Batman Arkham Asylum, it's terrible with a mouse and keyboard. DCUO plays almost identical to any single player Action Game. 

However, when quick First Person movement, quick & precise aiming is concerned, a PC would destroy anyone using a controller. 

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Truthfully, I think this would be awesome of them to be able to do.

But long term, would it make sense? MMOs can last a decade. Consoles last a few years. When EQ was released, we had XBOX's (not 360's). Would cross development hurt the games lifespan?

Originally posted by TUX426

But long term, would it make sense? MMOs can last a decade. Consoles last a few years. When EQ was released, we had XBOX's (not 360's). Would cross development hurt the games lifespan?

Well, going off that theory. Nowdays, consoles are more hard pressed to last longer witch higher prices. and DO a lot more, such as browsers and networking etc.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Joshua69

Originally posted by TUX426

Well, going off that theory. Nowdays, consoles are more hard pressed to last longer witch higher prices. and DO a lot more, such as browsers and networking etc.

Very true! It'll be an interesting next few years with gaming, consoles and the explosion of online everything! I really wonder what the next gen consoles will be capable of doing.

To keep this on-topic, perhaps that's one of the reasons Sony wanted this game to be cross platform so bad?!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

You'd have to move the PC people onto Sony's PS3 network. It would depend on Sony allowing it and having it actually work. I would be willing to bet money that this will not happen. Increasing the world populations would be a good thing though. I don't think the game needs it right now, but it's almost always good to see more people playing the same game you are playing.

From what I've heard with the game play, the keyboard/mouse advantage for FPS wouldn't necessarily apply here...people with controllers might actually have a slight advantage.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.