Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying Aion

IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Hi guys,

So looking around and figuring that there's almost no trial keys, and even *if* you get one, you can only play a few levels, I thought maybe I should just buy the game, see if it holds me over until Rift/GW2/TERA come out. A few concerns I have though on the playerbase..

If I look at the server lists here:

http://uk.aiononline.com/livestatus/server/

There's only 8 servers, each one holding 10k players, but over 50% of those players are level 1-20. That gives about 40k active players in the EU. The US has even less, only 5 servers which is about 25k players. Browsing these forums I hear mixed reports. Some are claiming Aion is a huge success and second only to WoW (Probably including the asian playerbase), and others are claiming Aion was a failure and should go F2P to have any hopes of surviving. Reviews from the major sites are kind of mixed, love/hate affair.

So my question is basically.. how alive is the game still? It hasn't been out that long so it *should* be very much alive but the server lists worry me. Is it worth the $30 to give it a shot? Can I max level and have fun in dungeons / PvP for example without just sitting around with nobody else left on the server?

Comments

• salamander13salamander13 Member Posts: 100

i cant really say much about the populations on the servers as a whole, but i got the game a few weeks ago when steam had it for $10 and i thought "what the heck ill try it for at least a month for ten bucks why not" Since ive been on ive played through to at least 15 with every class, trying them out, and the every single time there are people all over the starter zones and the teen zones. Ive grouped many times, even when i didnt need too. Also the chat chanel is non stop talk (they use LFG channel as a world chat channel) and some times I even turn it off because its distracting.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

Hey i actualy just quit aion after playing for over a year. The game is  still verry much alive depending on the server your on. And honeslty its worth the 30 bucks to get. Its a bit different from alot of other games but it still holds its own, same basic stuff with alot of fluff.. mostly the graphics. either way thoe its a good game.. even thoe i quit i would suggest it to others. I quit for personal reasons and the changes from launch which as a player who likes to bust my ass in games.. the new changes didnt realy feed that. Hope this helps.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Isometrix

Hi guys,

So looking around and figuring that there's almost no trial keys, and even *if* you get one, you can only play a few levels, I thought maybe I should just buy the game, see if it holds me over until Rift/GW2/TERA come out. A few concerns I have though on the playerbase..

If I look at the server lists here:

http://uk.aiononline.com/livestatus/server/

There's only 8 servers, each one holding 10k players, but over 50% of those players are level 1-20. That gives about 40k active players in the EU. The US has even less, only 5 servers which is about 25k players. Browsing these forums I hear mixed reports. Some are claiming Aion is a huge success and second only to WoW (Probably including the asian playerbase), and others are claiming Aion was a failure and should go F2P to have any hopes of surviving. Reviews from the major sites are kind of mixed, love/hate affair.

So my question is basically.. how alive is the game still? It hasn't been out that long so it *should* be very much alive but the server lists worry me. Is it worth the $30 to give it a shot? Can I max level and have fun in dungeons / PvP for example without just sitting around with nobody else left on the server?

Well for one the humors are true that Aion is the next best p2p sub wise with 4M. I'm sure alot is overseas but so is WOW's numbers. When something fails you would know about it (APB, Tabula Rasa etc)  Aion is doing just fine and is no in any danger of going to F2P.

As far as server population I can only judge the serers I'm on. Siel and Isprahel have a really good population. No matter what time I log in something is going on. Now these are US servers so I'm not sure about the EU. I would check on the Aion website for that country and see what the ratio.

Aion may not be everyones favorite but to me its more fun than any MMO out right now.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

Well I listened to you guys and picked it up for 19 euros. First 10 levels were rather underwhelming but the world is opening up now at 10 and it's becoming more interesting. I like it. There are some annoyances and I'll likely switch to Rift next month, but this'll hold me over just fine :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit - The PIN-code for characters is the dumbest idea I've ever seen anyone implement. Pointless and plain annoying

• CyrosphereCyrosphere Member Posts: 105

People call City of Heroes "dead" and it's still running with 11 servers since 2004.

NCSoft doesn't do F2P, Aion will likely never be going that route, it's doing far too well in Asia and hell, even Lineage 1 is still subscription based.

If you want to play a "trial", go play on a pr!vate server, it's what I did before making up my mind regarding purchase.

Remember, it has to be fun to be a game. Grinding is a bedroom activity, and the point is definitely not to do my wife as fast as possible.

• underoath01underoath01 Member Posts: 34

I just recenlty came back to Aion have a 41sin and there are still plenty of people playing tons of people on all threw the day and night

Originally posted by Isometrix

Well I listened to you guys and picked it up for 19 euros. First 10 levels were rather underwhelming but the world is opening up now at 10 and it's becoming more interesting. I like it. There are some annoyances and I'll likely switch to Rift next month, but this'll hold me over just fine :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit - The PIN-code for characters is the dumbest idea I've ever seen anyone implement. Pointless and plain annoying

I know the pin code is annoying but believe me it make is extremely hard for someone to hack your character. Since they added it I have not had to block any goldsellers at all! You would sing a different toon if you were playing in the early days lol

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

I've been thinking about going back to Aion lately.  I had a lot of fun in the game, I never had an issue with the community, population on my server was good, but what ultimately drove me away was the grind... xp rate and item drop rate was just mind-numbing... I don't mind a little grind for quests and crafting, but when I have to kill 80 mobs to get one to drop the item I need... ugh!!! 

I stopped playing pre-1.9, so I know they've made dramatic changes to xp and drop rates since then.  Also the talk about 2.5 in Korea and the graphic updates have me intrigued... Aion is already stunning visually so I'm kinda excited to see what happens next graphics-wise.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Haha haters are going to hate I guess. Sorry you don't like it friend!

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

I can only speak for myself but i'm new to the game have played since the christmas holidays and i am in a very lively Dutch legion. People are online all the time and doing stuff together. We even had to create a second legion since the first one was full. 

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• Hmm, been bored of the MMOs I've been playing lately and this is one I never tried out.

Maybe I'll give it a spin.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Originally posted by Lugoves

Hmm, been bored of the MMOs I've been playing lately and this is one I never tried out.

Let me know if you are going to try it out, as I will give you a trial first! This will be a win-win situation for both of us ! As you will receive some goodies to begin with , and so do I :D

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

IceAge are you a PR rep for NCsoft? lol :P

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

No !

Why do you think I might be "one of them"?  :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

He's trying to get some in-game items...nothing wrong with that.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by IceAge

Hmm, been bored of the MMOs I've been playing lately and this is one I never tried out.

Let me know if you are going to try it out, as I will give you a trial first! This will be a win-win situation for both of us ! As you will receive some goodies to begin with , and so do I :D

Can I have a trial plz?

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by IceAge

Can I have a trial plz?

Drop me a PM with your email address and I will send you a trial key!