Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone else think that when Earthrise comes out this game will close??

GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

I heard about this game Earhrise and it seems to be a sandbox game. The only reason people seem to be sticking with MO is because it's the only new sandbox on the market except for DF. I looked up the gameplay for ER and it looks kinda bad. But even if it's bad it will still be better then MO imo. So maybe since there will be another sandbox everyone who is sick of MO not following through on promises etc. (basically the very few people still hanging on) will finally leave for ER and the game will shut down.?(And then may go through the exact same process over again with ER lol.)

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I don't think the audiences are necessarily the same.  So I don't think there will be a direct correlation.  However, if what I hear in the forums is accurate, the game may fold anyway for a host of reasons.  Either way, I don't think Earthrise will be the cause.

I self identify as a monkey.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

I think MOs demise will have nothing to do with Earthrise.

I win!!! LOL@U

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

Originally posted by terroni

I'd say they don't have the same audience.

It does beg the question as to why sandboxes seem so poorly made...

They tend be made by inexperienced teams with great ideals but lacking the skill and money to implement it. The companies who do have the resources and skill to pull it off usually aren't interested in diverting their focus into a niche market with limited appeal.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

I doubt Earthrise will affect MO in any way, to different audience. MO will die by it self with time:)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Neoptolemus

They tend be made by inexperienced teams with great ideals but lacking the skill and money to implement it. The companies who do have the resources and skill to pull it off usually aren't interested in diverting their focus into a niche market with limited appeal.

All it is gonna take is one well made and accessable sandbox game (which won't have FFA PvP) to be made and this 'niche' will go mainstream in a big way. The desire to create and control a world has a massive appeal for the masses (look at farmville etc), it just hasnt been realised properly.

Arche Age may well be the game to do this.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

There is truth in what you say .Number one reason I don't try these sandbox games is the FFA thing. When they make one without it I will try it. All these companies always make it FFA though so I doubt it will ever happen.

Chamber of Chains
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

God himself couldn't sink that game!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by cheyane

There is truth in what you say .Number one reason I don't try these sandbox games is the FFA thing. When they make one without it I will try it. All these companies always make it FFA though so I doubt it will ever happen.

Chey, look into Arche Age...

It is a extremely sandbox game that has consentual PvP restricted to a third continent. Entirely optional :)

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

It won't shut down to Earthrise, but I think every game that actually has developers who have the ability to you know -- actually code, will affect MO by siphoning off a player at a time. MO's days are sadly numbered, and while the concept may be great on paper, having a brilliant idea and no talent to implement it doesn't make a game last.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

the only thing that will make MO close is....well, MO. that's right they are their worst enemy right now, mainly their lack of funds, talent and inability to properly fix buggs and exploits.

people play MO because it's completely different from pretty much all other mmos out there, not because it's a sadbox. wile DF is the only game that sort of comes close to MO it still ends up feeling a lot different as a game. DF feels like a hybrid, something between WoW and MO. MO has a very distinctive feel all in it's own (and i'm not talking about all the buggs and glitches :P) that sets it apart from anything i'v ever played.   

there is symply nothing like it out there right now.

earthrise is a completely different type of game with a very different fan base, "sandbox" being the only descriptive attribute it would share with MO.

if anything SWTOR will be a much bigger threat to MO since i'd be willing to bet that at least 80% of the mmo comunity will end up at least trying that game once it comes out. i even know people that like to make fun of mmo players saying they most likely will end up trying just because it's Star Wars.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Reading through the Earthrise pages it does seem to strive for the same sandbox feel as MO and could pull some people, especially those with no particular attachment to a fantasy setting.  

That being said, I don't think that Earthrise is currently getting enough attention that it's launch will have much impact on MO.  Earthrise forums are nowhere near where MO forums were a couple weeks before launch ( Earthrise: Most Online Today: 90. Most Online Ever: 165 (July 08, 2009, 10:21:44 AM)    Mortal Online: Most users ever online was 1,654, 14th July 2009 at 02:00) 

If Earthrise ends up having a major impact on Mortal Online it will be because of a smooth launch and superior gameplay.  Unfortunately, at the moment there is not a lot to inspire confidence that either will be the case. It looks too much like Xsyon did in February 2010.  Currently they only have one video of in-game footage, but even that hand picked sample shows some stuttering / yo-yoing when watching multiple people run  (around 2:03, especially)  They have no plans for an open beta, and the first stress test on the server will be at launch.

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

people play MO because it's completely different from pretty much all other mmos out there, not because it's a sadbox.  This statement could sure use a little more explanation. I'm pretty sure it's not just cause some of the place names are in Tibetan (Amarak Nuur, Morin Knur)

wile DF is the only game that sort of comes close to MO it still ends up feeling a lot different as a game. DF feels like a hybrid, something between WoW and MO. MO has a very distinctive feel all in it's own (and i'm not talking about all the buggs and glitches :P) that sets it apart from anything i'v ever played.   

there is symply nothing like it out there right now.

earthrise is a completely different type of game with a very different fan base, "sandbox" being the only descriptive attribute it would share with MO.

if anything SWTOR will be a much bigger threat to MO since i'd be willing to bet that at least 80% of the mmo comunity will end up at least trying that game once it comes out. i even know people that like to make fun of mmo players saying they most likely will end up trying just because it's Star Wars.  

Somehow I doubt that it will sell more than 4 million copies and doubt that something that some have described as likely to be "cut scene driven" will appeal to MO players.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by Neoptolemus

All it is gonna take is one well made and accessable sandbox game (which won't have FFA PvP) to be made and this 'niche' will go mainstream in a big way. The desire to create and control a world has a massive appeal for the masses (look at farmville etc), it just hasnt been realised properly.

In Farmville, you create and manage your own private corner, insulated from the rest of the world. If you want that in an MMO, Garden Party World already exisits.  'The desire to create and control a world' doesn't necessarily work for most MMO gamers outside of that because in order for that to happen, people have to be able to affect the game world which, in turn, means they will affect other people's experience... something which has extremely low appeal for the masses.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Originally posted by osmunda

That being said, I don't think that Earthrise is currently getting enough attention that it's launch will have much impact on MO.  Earthrise forums are nowhere near where MO forums were a couple weeks before launch ( Earthrise: Most Online Today: 90. Most Online Ever: 165 (July 08, 2009, 10:21:44 AM)    Mortal Online: Most users ever online was 1,654, 14th July 2009 at 02:00) 

I just need to point out to you that the figure you are giving for Mortal Online is from the night that the pre-orders went on sale.  When it was delayed over and over again and everyone had 5,10, etc instances of the website open while spamming F5.  Most of those folks are ones that came from Darkfall and had experienced their initial sales selling out in minutes after becoming available at which point AV turned off sales of the game for a few weeks if memory serves.   SV fed on those fears with statements that said the only way to insure launch day access was to pre-order the game.    Then remember all the billing problems?  http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/16381-mortal-online-shop-information.html#post376646 THAT is why the forums were full...  I don't know if Earthrise has had any similar issues as I haven't followed it.

This has all been covered in the past.  I simply bring it up because using the forum count without explaining that the cause of the spike in users was the pushback of sales... is misleading.   Also, since when is July 14th 2009 "a couple weeks before launch"?  Didn't they launch in June 2010? 

Even using your numbers, wouldn't it just prove that LESS people were interested in the game (MO) when it launched than were interested in it 1 year prior?  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I just need to point out to you that the figure you are giving for Mortal Online is from the night that the pre-orders went on sale.  When it was delayed over and over again and everyone had 5,10, etc instances of the website open while spamming F5. Multiple instances still count as one user online, unless that user is IP spoofing.

This has all been covered in the past.  I simply bring it up because using the forum count without explaining that the cause of the spike in users was the pushback of sales... is misleading.   Also, since when is July 14th 2009 "a couple weeks before launch"?  Didn't they launch in June 2010?   Good point. Sorry I was paying too close attention to where things stood for Earthrise and got sloppy on the MO side. 1,654 was the number online trying during the preorder.

Even using your numbers, wouldn't it just prove that LESS people were interested in the game (MO) when it launched than were interested in it 1 year prior?  Interest levels usually peak around big events (preorders, release, expansions, etc.)  There was certainly a greater sense of urgency at preorder time than at launch, Of course thee odd thing is that Earthrise also peakes around the time of the MO preorder, not now, when they are giving away beta keys (depending on the number of keys, maybe they are doing some stress testing)

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I just need to point out to you that the figure you are giving for Mortal Online is from the night that the pre-orders went on sale.  When it was delayed over and over again and everyone had 5,10, etc instances of the website open while spamming F5. Multiple instances still count as one user online, unless that user is IP spoofing. Yes, I was describing why there were 1600 people online at once.  It was a mad attempt to buy the game "before they ran out" which as we now know was never going to happen.

This has all been covered in the past.  I simply bring it up because using the forum count without explaining that the cause of the spike in users was the pushback of sales... is misleading.   Also, since when is July 14th 2009 "a couple weeks before launch"?  Didn't they launch in June 2010?   Good point. Sorry I was paying too close attention to where things stood for Earthrise and got sloppy on the MO side. 1,654 was the number online trying during the preorder.  Yes and it was the troubled start of the pre-order which caused everyone to spam the fprums that night. If there had been no pushback etc people wouldn't have been spamming looking for an update. 

Even using your numbers, wouldn't it just prove that LESS people were interested in the game (MO) when it launched than were interested in it 1 year prior?  Interest levels usually peak around big events (preorders, release, expansions, etc.)  There was certainly a greater sense of urgency at preorder time than at launch, Of course thee odd thing is that Earthrise also peakes around the time of the MO preorder, not now, when they are giving away beta keys (depending on the number of keys, maybe they are doing some stress testing)  Earthrise is going to be a small launch and to be honest I think the Starvault experience turned many people off from dealing with small indie companies with no track record.  I have always said that they did a lot of damage to the genre and turned off many potential customers who will never give the genre another shot.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Yes, I was describing why there were 1600 people online at once.  It was a mad attempt to buy the game "before they ran out" which as we now know was never going to 

Sorry, from the way you were emphasizing multiple instances of the mortal online forums, it seemed you were trying to claim that a smaller number of people with multiple instances artificially inflating the number.  Either way, in the midst of beta keys being given away, interest in Earthrise should be peaking, and seems only to be reaching the numbers that the MO forums have on ordinary days.

Earthrise is going to be a small launch and to be honest I think the Starvault experience turned many people off from dealing with small indie companies with no track record.  I have always said that they did a lot of damage to the genre and turned off many potential customers who will never give the genre another shot.

No need to lay everything at the fault of Starvault. Certainly it has bugs and the admins spent too much time squashing bugs that made it to the live server. However, there are plenty of other games that have left people with as bad (or worse) taste.  MO didn't keep rlmccoy from preordering Xsyon.

http://forums.play-earthrise.com/index.php?topic=7468.msg107005#msg107005 There's certainly also criticism of MO on their forums (clusterf***, and "tur* in a box" are box are the phrases used), but it's other games are used as cautionary tales also.

All of which is beside the point of this thread, I am merely saying that the territory control and semi-FFA PVP that is in Earthrise would appeal to MO players.  However, the interest level seems to be low enough that a relatively small number of the people currently playing MO will purchase it at launch. Because of this, the impact on MO will depend heavily on how smoothly the launch goes and how well the game plays in the first month.  Both of those may be excellent, but to date Masthead has only provided 1 video of in game footage and have not dropped the NDA. This puts them exactly 1 video ahead of where Xsyon when they changed their release date from April 15, 2010 to May 15, 2010. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/274325/New-GUI-screenshots-and-controls-released-Launch-delayed-until-May-15th.html  While Earthrise may be an excellent game, this is not a very reassuring situation and makes it unlikely that it will draw many people away from MO.

Just for those who've never heard of Xsyon :  Announced  Feb 25th with release date April 15, 2010, postponed the launch a month in early April, postponed a couple more times and is now slated for release March 1st 2011.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Just for those who've never heard of Xsyon :  Announced  Feb 25th with release date April 15, 2010, postponed the launch a month in early April, postponed a couple more times and is now slated for release March 1st 2011.

FYI, Xyson was originally announced for release on March 15, 2010.   It was later amended to April 15th, 2010.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=216204881144&topic=17328

http://forum.mmosite.com/topics/144/201001/27/4538,1.html

http://www.honestgamers.com/news/5280/article.html

Game "sounds" cool, but I'll definitely wait for release.  It's been delayed so many times AND they started taking preorders when they knew the game wasn't ready for release.  That being said, Notorious Games seems to have given out refunds to those who've asked and they've communicated pretty well with their player base. At the same time, their mantra of "it'll be done when it's done" has changed to "we can't delay it any further", which makes me wonder what state it'll be in when it launches..

~Ripper

Originally posted by rhinok

That being said, Notorious Games seems to have given out refunds to those who've asked and they've communicated pretty well with their player base.

If that is true that is great.  Sorry, but when a company unilaterally decides to delay their game for an extended period of time they really need to allow refunds as a standard practice.  Otherwise they are just converting your purchase into an open ended loan.

That said.. I learned my lesson with Mortal and haven't even considered pre-ordering Earthrise or Xsyon either for that matter.  Heck, even RIFT which has proven to be the most highly polished beta I ever experienced will not be getting my money early (and possibly never until I see how open world PvP works).

• KuvajokeriKuvajokeri Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I don't think the audiences are necessarily the same.  So I don't think there will be a direct correlation.  However, if what I hear in the forums is accurate, the game may fold anyway for a host of reasons.  Either way, I don't think Earthrise will be the cause.

I, too, have doubts about the audiences being the same. Let's not forget the importance of the theme of a game. MO is pretty basic sword and sorcery -style fantasy, while Earthrise is more scifi.
    And anyway, the games look quite different in other ways, too.

Originally posted by vesavius

I'm not totally sure it's the FFA PvP (or loot) that makes sandboxes part of a "niche" group of games. Players of these games adapt to the mindset of the game, and the mindset of a FFA PvP game is that it's just normal to sometimes get ganked (and lose some items in the process).
  • xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

As others have said, Earthrise seems like it would appeal to a different type of player because of the hi-tech/sci-fi aspect. Maybe a few MO players who are into crafting would be interested in it. It may pull some DF players as well.

But the people who are still with MO seem to be devoted to the game, for the most part. If they have stayed with MO this long, I doubt they will abandon it for a new Sci-Fi game.

Does anyone playing MO now have any idea of the current population? Is it stabilized? Falling? Growing?

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by xBludx

Does anyone playing MO now have any idea of the current population? Is it stabilized? Falling? Growing?

Id say its dropping after this last patch with <100 online.   We should have some hard numbers when SV releases their next financial report the 3 week of Feb.

I win!!! LOL@U

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Id say its dropping after this last patch with <100 online.   We should have some hard numbers when SV releases their next financial report the 3 week of Feb.

He was asking people who currently play MO; you haven't played for months at least.  Based on what I've seen in the last week or so,  I would be very surprised to hear the concurrent population was less than 4-500 during my timezone (late-ish US), extrapolating from a few towns and keep activity.  

Side note, what's up with you and  hyping financial reports?

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

both will close sooner or later or esle go F2P.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

As others have said, Earthrise seems like it would appeal to a different type of player because of the hi-tech/sci-fi aspect. Maybe a few MO players who are into crafting would be interested in it. It may pull some DF players as well.
    But the people who are still with MO seem to be devoted to the game, for the most part. If they have stayed with MO this long, I doubt they will abandon it for a new Sci-Fi game.

I don't have any good idea what MO's population is, but if Masthead doesn't get their game stable, there wouldn't be much point in the few players who have stuck with MO switching to Earthrise. They'd just be trading one set of bugs for another, slightly different set of bugs.

However, if Masthead gets the server stable when a bunch of people are in the same area, and gets the 'No Zone Servers' bug fixed, then they have a good chance of stealing the 500 or less players now playing MO.

I'm not sure if that'll close MO or not. I don't know where the money to keep the company going is coming from right now.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.