Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can they deliver?

neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

so rift is running commercials that clearly smack talk wow with lines like "we aint in azeroth anymore".

but can they deliver?

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by neorandom

so rift is running commercials that clearly smack talk wow with lines like "we aint in azeroth anymore".

but can they deliver?

The way Trion has been handling their betas, how polished their game is. I have no doubt that Rift will live up to expections. Let's just see if wow players can rip themselves away from 6 years of time invested and start over. Today while in gamestop I got into a conversation with five mmo gamers and while rift interested them most said they invested too much to just leave wow. Rift may be one of those mmo tragedies. So time will tell if it could pull the players it's targeting.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

but can they deliver?

Can they deliver what? A decent game? A WoW killer? A baby Jesus? Rift will not kill WoW, if that's what you're asking, that's pretty much a fact. On the other hand, Trion does have a decent game on their hands.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by Rockgod99

The way Trion has been handling their betas, how polished their game is. I have no doubt that Rift will live up to expections. Let's just see if wow players can rip themselves away from 6 years of time invested and start over. Today while in gamestop I got into a conversation with five mmo gamers and while rift interested them most said they invested too much to just leave wow. Rift may be one of those mmo tragedies. So time will tell if it could pull the players it's targeting.

I call bullshit on that statement. No way you met 5 (PC) MMO players in a Gamestop store, can you even find PC games in there anymore?

Just kidding of course. :)

I think what you said has some truth to it. Rift will be successful, but not be as successful as its potential is. For the reasons that you stated.

But I have this feeling that Rift will end up a steady grower in subscriptions (like EVE). A lot of WoW players are getting tired of WoW. A few will try Rift, some will stay, most will leave but some will return. But I'm sure that Rift wil eat away at WoW's player base. Up to the point I think WoW will have to start trying to win them back, not with new WoW expansions, but with their new MMO.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

Originally posted by Hokie

I call bullshit on that statement. No way you met 5 (PC) MMO players in a Gamestop store, can you even find PC games in there anymore?

Just kidding of course. :)

I think what you said has some truth to it. Rift will be successful, but not be as successful as its potential is. For the reasons that you stated.

But I have this feeling that Rift will end up a steady grower in subscriptions (like EVE). A lot of WoW players are getting tired of WoW. A few will try Rift, some will stay, most will leave but some will return. But I'm sure that Rift wil eat away at WoW's player base. Up to the point I think WoW will have to start trying to win them back, not with new WoW expansions, but with their new MMO.

Lol!!! The gamestop we have in my area is basically a re-enactment of the tv series Cheers but taking place in a videogame outlet instead of a bar. We have the same 10 dudes that just chill most of the day talking about games. It kinda has that old comic book store vibe. I think most of the wow gamers I talk to go to gamestop to buy time cards. When I goto that place I'm stuck there most of the day just bullshiting. Anyway, let's hope Trion figures out a way to pull the players they want. It would suck if a game as good as this falls into that 200k sub fee rut every other mmo has fallen into.

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

WoW took a little over 4 years to hit 4 million subscribers.

About a year later it hit 10 million.

While it may sell very well it's not going to be a crazy commercial success unless it starts well and continues to trend upward. Any game could trump WoW but it would take a minimum of 5 years to do so. A Call of Duty console MMO in maybe 4 years. image

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by heartless

but can they deliver?

Can they deliver what? A decent game? A WoW killer? A baby Jesus? Rift will not kill WoW, if that's what you're asking, that's pretty much a fact. On the other hand, Trion does have a decent game on their hands.

This- does anyone even want a WoW killer aside from publishers and stockholders? A true WoW-killer would only unleash those mouth-breathing masses into games that have a chance of having a decent community without them. Let Lego Universe Online or Free Realms be the WoW killer if there ever must be one- it's more their speed.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

They shouldn't and probably won't touch the current WoW subscribers. What they should be aiming for are the ex-wow people who got bored and are on the lookout for alternatives. These people are by far more than the current subscribers, given the retention rates of all MMOs.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

but can they deliver?

The stench of unwashed, greasy, Cheetos™ stained, nerd-flesh must have been appalling in such an enclosed space. image

From personal experiance with the severely Wow addicted, they might not leave Wow but that won't stop them from buying and playing a second, (or even a third in some cases), game

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Was thinking the same thing LOL..

My Game Spot used to have a pretty decent sized shelf off P/C games.. It's shrunk down to i'd say 1/8th of a shelf now with maybe 20 p/c titles in it.. WoW and its expansions being most of the games.. Oh well, as long as they get my pre order of Rift in i won't give a crap lol.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

They won't kill WoW and they shouldn't really target WoW.  Though it may be crafty marketing to associate their name with Azeroth in that it may draw more players to them.  Any publicity is good publicity but this sort of thing can backfire and cause more people to goto WoW instead of to them :P

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

but can they deliver?

In short term yes. The game is stable and pretty nice.

But the question is how it will work in the long run, WAR was fun (but less stable) for the first 3 weeks but a MMO is judged on long term playability. And we really don't know it yet.

So far so good, I am guessing that it will be one of the larger MMOs with half a mil subs unless there is some fatal flaw in the endgame but it is really hard to tell yet, Even someone who been in all betas have little knowledge of the long term fun yet.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

They won't kill WoW and they shouldn't really target WoW.  Though it may be crafty marketing to associate their name with Azeroth in that it may draw more players to them.  Any publicity is good publicity but this sort of thing can backfire and cause more people to goto WoW instead of to them :P

I dunno, I think Wow burnouts should like it. It is not like it will take the players from Eve or Guildwars.

Wow, EQ2 and LOTROs old players are the most likely ones, but we are talking mostly people who played those games a lot and want something similar but new.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

Its all rdy been Delivered. I just hope it can stay warm. o0

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

My Game Spot used to have a pretty decent sized shelf off P/C games.. It's shrunk down to i'd say 1/8th of a shelf now with maybe 20 p/c titles in it.. WoW and its expansions being most of the games.. Oh well, as long as they get my pre order of Rift in i won't give a crap lol.

I think you can blame the ever shrinking selection of PC games more on the growing Driect Download market rather than lack of interest in PC gaming.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Tardcore

I think you can blame the ever shrinking selection of PC games more on the growing Driect Download market rather than lack of interest in PC gaming.

Traditional PC gaming has been shrinking a bit over the last few years. Consoles are the home of most of the games we use to play on PC.

Originally posted by Tardcore

Very true. I honestly cant remember the last game I bought boxed...maybe Empire: Total War, maybe.

I was sort of anti Steam when it came out, but I've fallen in love with it. I find lots of games I could never find on a store shelf.

Which kind of brings up, why are game companies still teaming with SOE and EA. Direct download via Steam, Direct to Drive or from the developers themselves is the future, especially for PC games. Why should game developers sell their souls to Sony/EA just because SoE has world wide distribution and marketing.

I bet Rift's website gets way, WAY more hits than SoE (or EA) would if either of those were doing the marketing.

Tickle SoE, Tickle EA.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

I generally avoid anything that is not sold by steam. That's one of the reasons I didn't try DCUO.

Might want to edit that "F ea/soe" line dude. I just came off a one day ban for saying the same shit about mythic lol. Anyway we don't get PC gamers in our gamestop. These guys do 99% of their gaming on console. Only PC game they play is maybe a mmo here and there and starcraft 2. I don't think you could be considered a PC gamer if you only play mmorpgs heh.

Originally posted by Atlan99

Traditional PC gaming has been shrinking a bit over the last few years. Consoles are the home of most of the games we use to play on PC.

Not 100% accurate.

I game a little (or a lot) everyday and I dont own a console, and no real desire to get one either. The only gameing I prefer on a console, and I miss, is sports and racing games.

Ive probably purchased 60-80 games (PC) since I last owned a console...which was the 1st gen X-Box (I think). I understand thats probably 1/2 of what a console gamer would purchase. Big difference is Im still playing better than 1/2 of those games.

Of course I realise Im the exception. But PC gaming is alive, its just not as big as console gaming. That doesnt mean its dead. Its like saying a 200k subscription MMO is failure (or dead) by compairing it to WoW.

Or to put it another way. PC gaming used to get a lot of attention/exposure before consoles broke big, its still fairly large,  but not as large as it used to be.

Might want to edit that "F ea/soe" line dude. I just came off a one day ban for saying the same shit about mythic lol. Anyway we don't get PC gamers in our gamestop. These guys do 99% of their gaming on console. Only PC game they play is maybe a mmo here and there and starcraft 2. I don't think you could be considered a PC gamer if you only play mmorpgs heh.

Really? Theyve gotten that oppressive here, used to be you could say what you wanted as long as it wasnt insulting or degrading. Was that a shadow of a jackboot I felt across the back of my neck...

Fixed it, and made it pink and fuzzy.

Thanks for the heads up...

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Not 100% accurate.

I game a little (or a lot) everyday and I dont own a console, and no real desire to get one either. The only gameing I prefer on a console, and I miss, is sports and racing games.

Ive probably purchased 60-80 games (PC) since I last owned a console...which was the 1st gen X-Box (I think). I understand thats probably 1/2 of what a console gamer would purchase. Big difference is Im still playing better than 1/2 of those games.

Of course I realise Im the exception. But PC gaming is alive, its just not as big as console gaming. That doesnt mean its dead. Its like saying a 200k subscription MMO is failure (or dead) by compairing it to WoW.

Or to put it another way. PC gaming used to get a lot of attention/exposure before consoles broke big, its still fairly large,  but not as large as it used to be.

What I mean to say is the games that we use to traditionally play have moved to console.

Other games have replaced it like Farmville and Mafiawars.  The type of games I'm not personally interested in. Lots of low-budget indie type games as well.

So while the revenue from PC sales haven't decreased, the games that I'm interested in have moved to consoles.

Really? Theyve gotten that opressive here, used to be you could say what you wanted as long as it wasnt insulting or degrading.

The mods have been a little protective of mmo devs that buy ad space on the site. If you just curse them out they will ban you for flaming.

Not 100% accurate.

What I mean to say is the games that we use to traditionally play have moved to console.

Other games have replaced it like Farmville and Mafiawars.  The type of games I'm not personally interested in. Lots of low-budget indie type games as well.

So while the revenue from PC sales haven't decreased, the games that I'm interested in have moved to consoles.

I understand what you are saying, and pretty much agree, except I would use the word hijacked rather than moved. Sony and Microsoft used their big money and power to shanghai gaming into their ballparks where they call the shots and steer trends. And sadly while I agree consoles are more afordable than a computer I see them as the lesser platform. I feel the quality, technological progress, and originality of games have suffered very badly under the console umbrella.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Xasapis

They shouldn't and probably won't touch the current WoW subscribers. What they should be aiming for are the ex-wow people who got bored and are on the lookout for alternatives. These people are by far more than the current subscribers, given the retention rates of all MMOs.

thats exactly the group players that i would not be aiming for, I belong to that group myself if you replace WoW with EQ/DAoC. This group of players will move on when the next big game is released...

You want to attract rocksteady players to the game that stick with it for years. And that will be a hard thing to pull off, with games like GW2 and SW:TOR comming up later this year.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

I think that you misread me. I was answering to somebody mentioning about Rift aiming towards WoW subscribers. People that are happy with their current MMO, no matter what that is, won't change for something else, unless there is some major offering. And at this point, while Rift is a solid MMO with a very responsive development team, I don't see the major offering.

I did put a six months subscription down though, mainly because that's the minimum time I expect anything else to launch (TERA, GW2, SW:TOR as the closest releases and World of Darkness as a far off but anticipated title).