Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sales results so far

Comments

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by pawmaul

Originally posted by Everith

People keep forgetting though that lvl 30 is not the cap... It's the end of POWER points... you still have 60+ skill points to earn which add to your weapon powers and innates which are vital to completing some of the endgame content.

NO they dont forget... they choose to ignore it because it makes it easier to bash the game. Id be willing to bet half the people complaining about lack of content rushed to the end and havent even scratched the surface of whats out there.

I don't intend to bash the game but scouring the city for hundreds of 'glowies', particularly on alts, does not appeal to me as end game content. I certainly can't imagine anyone wanting to do it more than once.  

• crosscountrycrosscountry Member UncommonPosts: 33

I have not bought the game but I did beta test it.  I am not sure how you can say the animation and graphics are dated.  At least not on the PC.  It looks good. 

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

PC stats are flawed, it's a one week count, no pre-orders, no Steam or D2D, maybe no digital period. SOE has yet to release it's digital sales figures so I doubt those are included. Flawed chart .

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by Irishoak

PC stats are flawed, it's a one week count, no pre-orders, no Steam or D2D, maybe no digital period. SOE has yet to release it's digital sales figures so I doubt those are included. Flawed chart .

this

that and does this cover world wide sales?

still gonna keep with the 3 month wait to see how it fully unfolds

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Considering how many servers there are I suspect the original posters numbers are pretty close. 

Player activity is peaked during a games release or new expansions.  Almost every account is being actively being players those first few weeks (not at the same exact time, but still a ton will overlap), so I don't see how the number could be much higher.  That would start to approach 20-30k total accounts per servers and I don't think DCU has the physical gamespace between both cities to support anywhere near that amount of players without being totally congested with players.  Even considering the instances.

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

Originally posted by erictlewis

Well 250K  for a niche game is nice,  it sure beat the number they have in aoc, and war hammer. 

The question is how many of those 250K will be playing after a month.

To ME it is still a niche game and that is all it ever will be,  and that is not the mark that SOE wanted it to make.

Oh well it must be fun for some , 

At launch, AoC sold 750k units in 5 weeks. The fact that the game is still around is probably largely thanks to the launch month retail sales. That's a huge influx of income in a short time and acted as a buffer to the complete lack of subscription retention Funcom managed.

What's clear is that it's very doubtful SOE will have that luxury, so they better make good on their promise of regular (and substantial) content updates to retain the pool of players they bring in, in the first month to six week period. It is the only time throughout an MMO's lifespan that there is a significant bulk buy of the game client.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Wow!  Just Dance (Wii) sold 44,000 copies the same week (its 61st week) and Michael Jackson: The Experience (Wii) sold 43,000. Those numbers shock me as much as DCUOs.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

lol sales numbers mean nothing. And no it KINDA doesnt. Remember Warhammer? LOL Conan? .. 

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Zeblade

lol sales numbers mean EVERYTHING .. 

Fixed.

Like it or not, this is a business. Sales matter.

• JLVDBJLVDB Member Posts: 281

Interesting data: 150 K PS3 and 50 K PC = 200 K total and this matches also the 16 servers.

~ 10 - 12 K non concurrent users per server is still the industry's standard.

-

What is interesting to me is that PS3 outsold the PC by a 3 to 1 margin in retail.

That would mean that the "next big thing" in MMORPG land will come from a multi platform launch.

Add the more popular XBox and you'll see the PC market is only around 10% (or less if even counting Wii) of the game's market.

The only WOW killer in numbers will come no doubt from a Call of Duty franchize. A cross platform MMO launched with the famous COD franchize would get as high as 10.000.000 - 15.000.000 users in the west alone. Even if they would only get a 30% retention rate, it would mean WOW like western figures (probably more).

Fact remains: consoles still have very limited coms and UI problems for RTS and MMO gaming.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Velera

No real endgame? are we playing the same game? 

Please do tell me which other MMO launched with:

4 DUO's

6 Hard Instances

2 Raids

Pvp arena's

Tier 1 and Tier 2 gear system for both pve and pvp.

Feat system to expand on your character by gaining skill points.

And I am likely forgetting stuff. Not many MMO's offer this at launch, the only real complaint to make here, would be getting to it too fast.

Sounds like enough to me. People just like to bitch. Unless they join a hardcore "let's play ten hours a day" no life guild/clan or whatever that should last them for Atleast 6 months at the very least.

Try 5-8 days if that....my playtime diped after hitting 30.....While i dont have the PvE sets of gear i have ran thru all that content atleast once and attained my t1 pvp set....Im sure you may think people are just being dramatic but i assure you lol.....the game is a short and brief ride b4 it turns into this repetitious grind fest for end game currency.

Personally im more interested in seeing there sub numbers post the trial month.

Edit: Correction...Wiped out in arkham assylum....

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

I am guessing that is boxed and not digital download.  Probably why PC is so lone.  Even with that being the case those are not great sales numbers.  Wonder how much this game cost to produce.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by gotha

I am guessing that is boxed and not digital download.  Probably why PC is so lone.  Even with that being the case those are not great sales numbers.  Wonder how much this game cost to produce.

Biggest IP on an mmo to date, All quest are voice acted by hollywood talent, Cross platform development cost, Add that to the huge price tag of making an mmo....

Gonna go ahead and assume that they may have went a little over budget on this bad boy and rushed the launch...

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by gotha

I'm not sure what the numbers are for digital downloads, so I "guess-timated" and doubled the pc sales to get a total of 100k.  I think thats being more than generous.  I realize that the chart isn't complete and they've probbaly sold more since then, so it will be interesting to keep on eye it over the next few weeks.   As I'm sure most people here are aware, MMO's tend to get the VAST majority of their "box" sales (including digital downloads) in the first few weeks.  I can see DCU selling around 500k across all platforms the first month, which is not the kind of numbers soe was banking on. 

DCU was to be their new flagship game that re-established themselves in the mmo genre after a less than impressive last few years.  They needed to sell much more than 500k to get to that point.  Also consider that the retention rate of MMO's after the first month, for any MMO, is far less than 50%.  So after the first "free" month you can probably expect to see a populaion of, at most, 250K.  DCU will probably see less than that given the very mixed reviews from both critics and players, which means this might be the second time soe has failed to garner the big numbers from an MMO based on a major IP (Star Wars and swg being the other).  Also, who knows how many of the PS3 players will be willing to pay a monthly fee to keep playing.  Will there be more or less of them after the first month than is the normal for MMO's?  We'll see.  If DCU doesn't live up to expectations, I can't see them getting another shot with any other well known IP.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Based on a poll that asks where people got their copy of DCUO at the official forums, by FAR most people got theirs by digital download.

I personally got mine frrom digital download.  There really is little point anymore in going to a store and picking up a box you're just going to throw out.

Here's the thread with the poll:

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?topic_id=5204

64% of over a thousand people polled got there's from digital download for the PC.

If sales figures don't include digital downloads, which vgchartz apparently does not, they should be ignored. 

It can be accurate for ps3 sales, and it was clearly the top selling ps3 game of the week.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Based on a poll that asks where people got their copy of DCUO at the official forums, by FAR most people got theirs by digital download.

I personally got mine frrom digital download.  There really is little point anymore in going to a store and picking up a box you're just going to throw out.

64% of over a thousand people polled got there's from digital download for the PC.

If sales figures don't include digital downloads, which vgchartz apparently does not, they should be ignored. 

It can be accurate for ps3 sales, and it was clearly the top selling ps3 game of the week.

Like I mentioned earlier, I more than doubled the pc sales in my estimate from what was in the chart, from 45k to 100k.  So maybe its 110k or 120k.  It still means they more than likely they have sold, at most, 300k so far.  I'll be more interested to see the results at the end of 1 month and at the end of 3 months.  By then, mostly everyone who was interested in playing will already have done so or will no longer have any interest.  The first few weeks sales are crucial to video games, esp. MMOs.  Time will tell, but as of now, its not looking good for soe.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

http://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/29217637649096704
    Seems to be more of a success than you want it to be.

Also, vgchartz is not the most accurate sales website to go by. The guy who runs the site has admitted most of the numbers are his own guess work.

• brucieeeebrucieeee Member Posts: 12

This game is the best online MMO I've ever played. It's so slick and polished, easy to get the hang of and has high fun factor! Everyone wants to create their own super hero! 

The whole Superman, Batman etc thing usually bugs me about games but this game is about you and they insert Superman etc into the game very nicely and it flows well. 

Graphics are great - only issue we have is we get disconnected every time the phone rings for some reason, which is odd as we have broadband and have changed our internet channels to try and fix it.   

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Ginaz

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Like I mentioned earlier, I more than doubled the pc sales in my estimate from what was in the chart, from 45k to 100k.  So maybe its 110k or 120k.  It still means they more than likely they have sold, at most, 300k so far.  I'll be more interested to see the results at the end of 1 month and at the end of 3 months.  By then, mostly everyone who was interested in playing will already have done so or will no longer have any interest.  The first few weeks sales are crucial to video games, esp. MMOs.  Time will tell, but as of now, its not looking good for soe.

Posted on the DCUO forms by a dev. 

Let me go ahead and add a few things:

1) These numbers aren't accurate.  They don't take into account Digital Distribution (don't underestimate how many people went D2D and Steam) and certainly not the rest of the world some of which is just launching. 

2) There is a much larger PS3 game base than PC game base. 

3) We don't share specific metrics like this but I can tell you the number of people we have playing one platform don't heavily exceed the other at this point.  I can't say it will stay that way forever but we are pleased with the sales on both platforms. 

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuopc/posts/list.m?start=135&topic_id=12970#104353

Like you said the first month is the big marker. If they can deliever on there content patchs then I see no reasion why this game cant hold 100k+ subscriptions easily.

• brucieeeebrucieeee Member Posts: 12

I agree. Whilst I first though the sub fee was too high on top of the initial cost, I am so impressed by everything I'll keep paying. 

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

PS3 version also has a 12GB direct download option as well. I think DCOU is doing just fine considering the other two superhero MMOs are both sub 50k.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

We all know that we can't really judge how good a MMO is going based on it's initial sales.

WAR sold great, Eve close to nothing at launch. Now Eve is largest.

But I am not surprised if the game sells better on PS3, for one thing is the competition not that strong there and since it is more action based it probably fits many console players.

It will be at least 6 months before we have any clue if this games goes fine or badly.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Loke666

We all know that we can't really judge how good a MMO is going based on it's initial sales.

WAR sold great, Eve close to nothing at launch. Now Eve is largest.

But I am not surprised if the game sells better on PS3, for one thing is the competition not that strong there and since it is more action based it probably fits many console players.

It will be at least 6 months before we have any clue if this games goes fine or badly.

I agree with you. :) First month sells are not a good indicator. Myself, I am enjoying the game and honestly that is all that really matters to me. I dont expect everyone or anyone else to run out and buy it and also enjoy it. Everyone likes and plays different things and to me thats just fine :)

• rykimrykim Member Posts: 76

Wait until the free month is over.  There will definitely be a dip in the activities number.  Sales figures I completely ignore, it's how active the servers are that I look at.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Sales figures means nothing, FF14 sold like 300k copies and has less than 10k players currently, best to wait to see how many actually sub, IMO it won't be many when you can hit cap in a few days even if you play casually. I've played the game and honestly.. its just boring, The combat sucks and gets old very quickly which is bad when the only thing to do in this game is kill stuff repeadly for some crapply written story quests. To add insult to injury you can't even grind mobs if you wanted too, since they give virtually 0 exp. All and all i'd stay far away from DCUO expect it to go free to play in a short amount of time due to the severe lack of subs. To this day the only superhero mmorpg that has made it has been City of Heroes/VIllians, all the ones trying to copy it (Champions online, dcuo) both have failed miserably. Yeah I know champions was by the same people as CoH but still its failed miserably.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.