Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online MMORTSRPG

GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

To be pedantic and to help with the misconception's people have about EVE Online when it comes to space ship simulation games, the title i think summarises what kind of game EVE Online really is. Hopefully this will clarify some thing's for people who are looking into the game and give a little summary on the huge scope of the game.

So many people think spaceship games should be twitch based and immediately dismiss EVE Online or regard it as just a bunch of spreadsheets. EVE Online actually behave's more like an RTS, the skill involved comes with knowing what to do and when to do it just like any RTS game. Just like in an RTS there are times where you have to act fast to counter or get one over on your opponent. When doing PVP (Which is one of the main aspects of EVE Online) there is more emphasis about knowing the strategy that goes with your own playstyle and ship setup, being able to pull off the strategy to win by using good judgement of what your strategy and ship setup is compared to your opponent, knowledge of the game and timing rather than more emphasis on being able to dodge quickly by the game having twitch based game mechanics.

When you get to the stage where you are starting to understand how warfare and industry works when concerning corporations, alliances and region and market control, you start to realise how much like an RTS the game really is. In essence the leaders of the corporation's, alliance's and their lakeys are trying to manage their own region's of space and market on a huge scale. Ofcourse they are also trying to work out the best ways to dominate their enemies regions of space and create problems for their industrial activities.

The strategies must be established by these leader's, prepared and initiated through hundreds of real players working together, mining and building ships by the industry corporations for example and PVP warfare to gain control of space by the more warfare specialized corporations for example. Ultimately for the overall goal's of these corporations and alliances.

In essence Eve Online is a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE (MMO), REAL TIME STRATEGY (RTS), ROLE PLAYING GAME (RPG).

MMORTSRPG.

Thank you and good night! :)

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...

Comments

• FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

Unfortunately, as a 6yr long player. I think this is what has drawn me away from the game in the last few months. It's pretty much always been what you described, however, recently it started taking a toll on me. 

I enjoyed the days, where small gangs of 1-5 people could cause alot of trouble. However, today they still can, but it's just not nearly like it used to be. 

Today, you play a pawn or you play the chessmaster. There is really no in between, when dealing with PVP. There are a few other roles of course, but none of them have really ever been my play style. Skill and ship design, really plays no part in the game anymore, so long that the numbers are there.

Perhaps, it's just that me an EVE have grown apart like old high school friends.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547

Originally posted by FarReach

Unfortunately, as a 6yr long player. I think this is what has drawn me away from the game in the last few months. It's pretty much always been what you described, however, recently it started taking a toll on me. 

I enjoyed the days, where small gangs of 1-5 people could cause alot of trouble. However, today they still can, but it's just not nearly like it used to be. 

Today, you play a pawn or you play the chessmaster. There is really no in between, when dealing with PVP. There are a few other roles of course, but none of them have really ever been my play style. Skill and ship design, really plays no part in the game anymore, so long that the numbers are there.

Perhaps, it's just that me an EVE have grown apart like old high school friends.

Sounds to me like you have grown apart with the game and im not surprised anyway considering you have been playing for 6 years. The thing is even corporations which would be labeled as quite a large corporation can have no effect on another in a different part of the universe so does that mean because you are not effecting them that any doings are worthless?

On a small scale all the way up to large scale it completely depends on what you want out of the game to make it enjoyable for yourself. Small activities that have no meaning to basically ever other player can have meaning to yourself. Gaining a region of space with your corporation can have no real meaning if you dont really care or get enjoyment out of it anymore... its all perception friend.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by RDBeast

Sounds to me like you have grown apart with the game and im not surprised anyway considering you have been playing for 6 years. The thing is even corporations which would be labeled as quite a large corporation can have no effect on another in a different part of the universe so does that mean because you are not effecting them that any doings are worthless?

On a small scale all the way up to large scale it completely depends on what you want out of the game to make it enjoyable for yourself. Small activities that have no meaning to basically ever other player can have meaning to yourself. Gaining a region of space with your corporation can have no real meaning if you dont really care or get enjoyment out of it anymore... its all perception friend.

It's not so much that I've been with the game for so long, it's that I've always like to a hunter killer or the reverse as a protector. The cat an mouse game was the thing I've always enjoyed, where you try to out maneuver your opponent and catch him on a mistake. Then, you need the proper setup to be able to effectively eliminate them. 

Every year I have been with EVE, I have seen this grow less and less out of popularity. Back when it first began, that was pretty much all you had. Yes, you had the large fleets back then, but they weren't as popular as today. Today, if you see groups of 1 to 5 in a system, they are cloaky scouts or cyno alts for a much bigger fleet somewhere else. 

What I enjoyed, is still very much in use today. HOWEVER, the sizes have changed drastically, which changes the rules of the game quite a bit. It's gone from small groups of 1 to 5 pilots, to groups of 20-50 pilots. The foundations of it are still there, but it's extremely different because the roles that 1 person was able to play in the smaller groups, must be split between 2 or 3 people to be humanly manageable.

It's what I enjoy about PVP. I play the same role in every PVP game I ever play, even in games like Call of Duty. My taste for the gaming has not changed, it's more that the game has grown past it and I have stayed the same. 

I even spent about 2yrs, until quite recently actually, as a solo pilot and roamed most of low sec, and what null I could break into. But, it got to the point where it was almost impossible to get kills anymore, due to the size of groups that you run into. The only real place to find the targets I would have found years ago, is to somehow get deep into heavily protected null sec, to hit target who believed themselves to be relatively safe.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

In my opinion EVE is a Rendezvous of Homeworld and Elite, in a modern and Massive Multiplayer Style. A great mix.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Ultima Online and Elite, actually.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by RDBeast

It's not so much that I've been with the game for so long, it's that I've always like to a hunter killer or the reverse as a protector. The cat an mouse game was the thing I've always enjoyed, where you try to out maneuver your opponent and catch him on a mistake. Then, you need the proper setup to be able to effectively eliminate them. 

Every year I have been with EVE, I have seen this grow less and less out of popularity. Back when it first began, that was pretty much all you had. Yes, you had the large fleets back then, but they weren't as popular as today. Today, if you see groups of 1 to 5 in a system, they are cloaky scouts or cyno alts for a much bigger fleet somewhere else. 

What I enjoyed, is still very much in use today. HOWEVER, the sizes have changed drastically, which changes the rules of the game quite a bit. It's gone from small groups of 1 to 5 pilots, to groups of 20-50 pilots. The foundations of it are still there, but it's extremely different because the roles that 1 person was able to play in the smaller groups, must be split between 2 or 3 people to be humanly manageable.

It's what I enjoy about PVP. I play the same role in every PVP game I ever play, even in games like Call of Duty. My taste for the gaming has not changed, it's more that the game has grown past it and I have stayed the same. 

I even spent about 2yrs, until quite recently actually, as a solo pilot and roamed most of low sec, and what null I could break into. But, it got to the point where it was almost impossible to get kills anymore, due to the size of groups that you run into. The only real place to find the targets I would have found years ago, is to somehow get deep into heavily protected null sec, to hit target who believed themselves to be relatively safe.

You need to try scanning down some wormholes... Small scale pvp is alive and well there, trust me. Not to mention, the rules with local make it much, much easier to sneak up on careless pilots.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

RTS where you control only one unit (plus a few drones). Yeah I would say that is a fitting description for the game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Every MMO really needs a chart like this one:

What to do in EVE Online

A lot fo times there's a good chunk of gameplay that people simply don't know exists. Discovering that can open new avenues of gameplay to start on or increase the depth of the content they already take part in.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre