Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's fun about this game?

fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208

I’ve been on the fence about this game for awhile, and I’m thinking of trying it out (which unfortunately means buying it).  I was hoping to hear what current players enjoy about this game, and what keeps them playing month to month.

Me

Her

Comments

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Read the Mortal Online forums.

Don't ask this question there though, just read existing conversations for a glimpse of what people are doing. Sadly, when I have skimmed in the past (and it's probably still true), people are talking more about what is potentially coming in the game than what's in the game currently. That to me, is a very, very bad sign.

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

I agree you wanna check out the Mortal Online forums, but there's no reason for you not to ask questions while you're there.   Anyway, the fun stuff:

open-ended gameplay means it's never the same experience twice (unless you decide to spend all your time doing one thing over and over... the good news is this isn't necessary. )

This isn't a 'feature' in itself, it's just made possible by some controversial design decisions SV made (local banking/local chat/local intel, full loot, and other semi-realistic, somewhat 'hardcore' decisions).  Some people argue the gold-grind forces you to do the same thing over and over, but trust me:  there's countless ways to make money in MO, some people just lack the creativity.

Community (for the most part).  There's a lot of griefers of course (like any game, open-pvp sandboxes especially), but there's also a lot of really cool people playing.  I'm not an RP'er, but I get a kick out of it when I come across a few guys telling stories around a camp fire.  Some of the merciless PK'ers are pretty cool too, once you get over the fact that they killed you.   --  I'm talking about the in-game community btw... MO has a bit of a troll problem on the forums, a few bittervets/elistists who hate anyone with a join date after 2009, etc.

Once you get used to it, the combat's suprisingly fun... you have to get used to it because it's a lot slower than what you're probably used to, and often feels clunky at first (especially with noob weapons and skill).

This probably doesn't apply to you, but the bulk of the fun I have in MO is derived from

A) successfully making a trade (buying mats cheap from players on one side of the map, selling them to players for much more on the other side...  my schemes often backfire, so it's always fun when I finally pull it off)

B) Successfully escaping from a PK ambush or chase.  (it's weird, I usually enjoy FLEEING from people more than I enjoy FIGHTING them... I'm even a wuss in games)

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I agree with FunkmastaD above - reading and asking questions on the official forum is going to give you better information overall.

Also, I agree with his reasons for liking the game.

For me, it really comes down to immersion in a virtual world.  The systems in the game, and the design choices they made, really make your character feel a part of a fantasy world.

Combat is more "realistic" - not a lot of flash, but a real visceral feel.  And, as opposed to most games, you've got something to lose.  It's meaningful.

But it's a lot more than that.  Crafting has a real purpose, and it takes actual knowledge of how to craft, and what materials to use, in order to make worthwhile items.  Since most items are player crafted, the fledgling economy (which does need more structure) is a player-based one, which builds a real community of people you'll come to know by name and reputation.

It is a bit of a throwback game, to be certain.  And, it does have its issues.  But, it does provide that atmosphere and feeling of really being thrust into a fantasy world, which is something most other modern games do not really try to do anymore.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• shogunoneshogunone Member Posts: 85

The game can be fun at times.  But when you died hundreds of times to bugs in the game, or you can not play certian charachters for long periods of times because of bugs, it gets old real quick. 

I played the game for almost a year. (beta and after release) I played even after my guild left the game wholesale.  I played on the "potential" of what could be, and what Henrik was selling me.  I then realised, would I let any other business treat me this way??  Would I let any other business give me an inferior product and keep using it hoping it would get better??  And I realized no there is not one business that I would let do that to me, coupled with the fact I was making myself log in instead of wanting to log in.  My sub runs out in a couple weeks.  Most of the people I know and played with at release are gone.  Most of the guilds that were here supporting the game at release are gone or shadows of themselves.  I logged into IRC a couple days ago, not logging in there for a couple of weeks.  And people I thought that were going to be there till the end were gone and not playing anymore. 

The game can be fun if you can fill the gas tank with hopes and dreams.  But people here talking about how good combat is???  I can literally fill a page here with links from the MO customer forum stating different.  And my passion slag hauling is constantly broken, when I say I could not play my slaggy for over a month that is not a joke.  I had skills missing for that long that did not let me refine my ore.  I had to mine it and pass it to a friend that did not have his refining skills gone, he had other ones gone.  I finally said fuck this I am not paying money to not play my charater, and now with it screwed again I just said fuck this game.  I have never played an MMO where bugs literally made your character unplayable and I am over 30 I have played MMOs since UO.  I have never played MMOs where I died hundreds of times to bugs and then I have to regear.  invisible people, invisible pets, blue pets when I am blue and hitting the pet back makes you go grey so everyone can gank you, died to getting off my horse and my horse turning grey then someone hitting my horse and then my horse attacking them turning me grey, died to crashing because I am targeting someone when they got off their horse so I crashed, died to people hitting me from 20 feet away, died to people wearing the heaviest armor in the game but moving like naked people.  I mean I seriously had to regear hundrreds of times because bugs that is not an exageration. 

I  wanted MO to be the next UO, or Shadowbane, sadly because of the Devs lack of experience I do not think it will happen.  Even reading this months HOC, Henrik is basically saying "yes there is a lot of problems we will fix it" he has been saying that since beta.  And the flash system I wanted that so bad to have that UO feel, it is coming a piece at a time, because a player is making it!!! Paratus the one who made the "launcher" is making the flash.  He made the flash that is in the game and is doing the rest.  I seriously hope they did not pay him in stock options.

Like said before if you can play on what could be, the game is fun.  I tried that for a while and in the end you realize you wasted money and what could be is not what is.  And what is, is a pile of bugs that get intored every patch and fixed and brought back again. 

• brancojetbrancojet Member UncommonPosts: 1

The game is Premitive.

During the day too many  " Server down", many bags.

No Trade at all, No auction houses or trade chanell.

A boring game.

Needs many upgrades 

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

The only thing I could find fun was being able to annoy people by shoving them constantly in cities.

Lots of laughs by the amount of rage people had.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by SHOE788

The only thing I could find fun was being able to annoy people by shoving them constantly in cities.

That was always good for a laugh, I 'd often target the fanbots.   Them rage logging made my day!  :)  But, sadly even that fun stuff is overshadowed by MOs glaring technical issues and nonexistant support.

I win!!! LOL@U

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Originally posted by SHOE788

That was always good for a laugh, I 'd often target the fanbots.   Them rage logging made my day!  :)  But, sadly even that fun stuff is overshadowed by MOs glaring technical issues and nonexistant support.

These posts aren't even a little surprising.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Are you criticizing people for their choice of game and playstyle?

If not, what did you mean?

Originally posted by Betel

Are you criticizing people for their choice of game and playstyle?

If not, what did you mean?

They both said they enjoy trying to make other people as unhappy as possible, because making people unhappy is fun for them.  All I said is that it doesn't surprise me.  

They were playing the role of rogues and ne'er do wells. You have stated numerous times that you enjoy the danger and risk of MO (from dying to losing all your items), so why are you criticising players for providing that danger and risk?

A full loot PVP game is all about making other players unhappy by taking their stuff.  It's at the core of MO's design. Do you not support full loot PVP and all it entails? There is perhaps a quote that could fit here that is thrown around the official forums all the time, but we'll leave it on the MO forums where it belongs.

They were playing the role of rogues and ne'er do wells. You have stated numerous times that you enjoy the danger and risk of MO (from dying to losing all your items), so why are you criticising players for providing that danger and risk?

A full loot PVP game is all about making other players unhappy by taking their stuff.  It's at the core of MO's design. Do you not support full loot PVP and all it entails? There is perhaps a quote that could fit here that is thrown around the official forums all the time, but we'll leave it on the MO forums where it belongs.

Griefers != PKs, thieves, etc.  Griefers just abuse mechanics to annoy, they don't get anything from it except for the fun of spoiling someone else's fun.  Shoving doesn't get you the other person's loot, ya know?  

Why are you defending them, they made it clear what they liked about it.

Grief is in the eye of the beholder, no one person is it's arbiter. 

I am not defending them per se, I am defending using the games limited tools to generate content. Stealing and shoving etc are all valid and supported actions and playstyles, it's not like training a zone entrance in EQ. Perhaps the games designers should have thought through their design choices a little more?

And shoving does get  you loot, as players will hit  you and get flagged leading to a guard kill. Loads of loot conveniently next to the banker.

I am not defending them per se

Yeah you are.  Read their posts, the joy was in the fact that their victims were "annoyed" and "raging"...  that's the definition of griefing.  

It's a full loot, PvP, territorial control game (in theory).

Harassing your enemy and causing him frustration are part of the game, indeed a necessary part of the game. How do I destroy your keep, shut down your crafters, kill your soldiers and end your trade routes with flowers and kind words? I don't, I steal from and shove your crafters as this makes rearming yourself harder.

If the victims were "annoyed" and "raging", it just means my thief team was doing it's job. All supported by SV and implicit in the design.

It's a full loot, PvP, territorial control game (in theory).

Harassing your enemy and causing him frustration are part of the game, indeed a necessary part of the game. How do I destroy your keep, shut down your crafters, kill your soldiers and end your trade routes with flowers and kind words? I don't, I steal from and shove your crafters as this makes rearming yourself harder.

If the victims were "annoyed" and "raging", it just means my thief team was doing it's job. All supported by SV and implicit in the design.

...one of them said he mainly attacked 'fanbots'.  Was he a soldier for the "Anti-Mortal-Online Alliance" or something?  

but damn, you sure do make MO sound appealing to the hardcore sandbox fans out there... perhaps you lost focus on what your'e trying to do here...?

I said I wasn't defending them, I was defending playstyle choices. His are perfectly valid given the game enviroment. Since you present no evidence for at least one of the people for which you made your initial claim, perhaps an apology is in order?

What am I trying to do here btw? Do you know something I don't about my posts? Do tell. And as a fan of this genre of game, I can tell you that poorly implemented thievery is not appealing at all. Poorly implemented anything is not appealing, which is why I (and most of the population at launch)  no longer play. Notice I did say "in theory" in my description of it as a PVP MMO :)

ugh, I've been baited.  Sorry for the OT mods.

You are attributing to a poster motives they do not have. By saying you have been "baited", you attempt to paint me as a troll. I am just discussing the issue you raised - were those posters griefing and the wider point of what is griefing in a PVP game with stealing etc.

That is actually germane to the topic, as many people do not find those mechanics fun.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Griefers != PKs, thieves, etc.  Griefers just abuse mechanics to annoy, they don't get anything from it except for the fun of spoiling someone else's fun.  Shoving doesn't get you the other person's loot, ya know?  

Why are you defending them, they made it clear what they liked about it.

In a game where you lose everything you own when you die. I doubt a little shoving can even be considered "griefing". If I played for serious I sure would be in a lot more grief if I lost all my stuff.

• izzadizzadizzadizzad Member Posts: 33

I myself played the beta version of the game, I wanted to play a medival themed mmo and i got my eyes on MO. After beta i quitted and i resubbed 3 days ago.

I was kinda afraid of going trough a bad experience with the game because i've been reading so maney negative things about it like gamebreaking bugs etc.

The only thing i can tell you about my experience so far is that is has been great. Sure the game has some development issues but the athmosphere that your playing in is just epic, it is very hard to discribe.

When i created a character i entered a little town, talked to some people and there are alot of kind people willing to have a great chat. I met a guy who gave me some silver and gave me a bow and armour so i could go on adventure myself.

I noticed there was a day and night cycle, i think its about 4 hours daylight and 3 hours dark, Which is just awsome let me explain.

when your outside town and exploring the world your always watching out for ''Reds'', reds are people who murder other people so they are flagged red for Player killing. when its total dark outside they mostly go out on their daily hunt which makes everything very exciting because you can't really see far in the dark and you get a feeling of getting ambushed any moment.

The other great thing is traveling from town to town and make new friends, yesterday i met someone who was playing with hes wife together, hes wife could tame horses and i became friends with them eventually she gave me a horse which was awsome because i don't have to travel around walking anymore now.

you probably want to hear some bad things about the game also, well i havent had Alot of bad moments playing these 3 days but i could list some,

I found when you enter the game first time theres very poor game support of what you should be doing, You kinda relay on the community in / out of the game of helping you doing your first things. Also there are some small buggs like sometimes monsters dont attack back.

Overall im enjoying this game alot. I took the gamble and it turned out great for me, I guess its very hard to tell if you will like the game also But my tip for you is, just look around some gameplay videos of the landscape, exploring and if the theme itself seems fun then just take the gamble. You might regret it, you might don't. 

I hope this cleared out some things for you, enjoy :)