Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: World of Starcraft: Blizzard Speaks Out

2»

Comments

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

It's completely obvious that Titan is a Starcraft MMO. Companies lie until they are ready to go public with something. Why would they, in their position, create a brand new unproven IP as a MMO first? That doesn't make any sense. That's an insane risk where there doesn't need to be one. If it was a brand new IP they'd start with a single player game to establish a player base and lore/history for it. While there is some crossover I think those that play Diablo for example are mainly separate player base from Warcraft and Starcraft. There might be even some separation there as well. So there is no guarantee that those player bases would simply embrace a brand now MMO IP. Also to openly say it's a Starcraft MMO now would possibly give away how Starcraft 2 and it's expansions might end.

• ChirugaiChirugai Member UncommonPosts: 304

A friendly reminder to stay on topic. If you're interested in offering commentary on MMORPG.com's website features, please visit the Site Suggestions forums. Thanks!

Fortune favours the bold.

• atharielathariel Member Posts: 91

I don't understand the hype around it. It's not a MMO, it's just a map. As far as I know, SC2 doesn't allow you to join games in progress, as such it isn't an MMO, not even close to it. Warcraft 3 also has a load of World of Warcraft maps...

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I feel kind of bad for this Ryan guy now, seems like he's being put into an awkward position between two companies battling over the publicity of this whole thing.

Not that he won't end up getting something out of it in the end, but it more or less seems like a publicity thing to me at this point.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop though :)

• elsurionelsurion Member Posts: 24

Cool that blizzard invited him to go to the campus and meet the dev team. I still hold that they should hire him :)

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

The mod is pretty damned cool, tbh.

I hope Blizz doesn't do anything 'soul-crushing' to this creative kid's mind. 

I'm sure they want 'absolute' control over their IP.  Great.  But at some point, they need to realize that their game artwork does 'suck'... it's ugly, cartoonish, and long in need of an overhaul.  Any type of change or facelift is welcome... even if it's not official.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by daydreamerxx

What im seeing is blizzard geting defensie over the name which means titan their hiden mmo project is prolly starcraft related

Um... That's probably reading more into their statement than is justified. 

What we can conclude is that Blizzard is Defensive regarding their IP, in this case Starcraft.  Plus we know that the software industry frequently uses code names for unreleased projects.  And we know that Blizzard has a future project they have named "Titan".  Now you are free to "Jump to a conclusion" here.  Just as long as its clear that you are going on a "hunch", not on some fact.

• SargentRockSargentRock Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by T_D_MMORPG

Good luck to the guy and his mod - I can understand Blizzards automatic reaction and I’m sure that they don't really want something (anything) that would suck revenue out of their pockets; they are a business after all.  But as it's a mod not a game I can’t see a problem and it sounds like Blizzard can’t either. Once they staked their claim loudly and clearly :)

It's nice to see he got an invite to meet with them - he's obviously very talented and deserves an opportunity to get ahead in life and realise the rewards of making something that the community loves to play.  But the only way will realise any financial rewards (not that he was trying to) is if they offer him a job - which would be good to see happen... In My Opinion even the greatest Intellectual Property can always evolve a little by adding new Ideas…

Got to agree--you can't jump all over a company for wanting to protect their property.  Once they saw it and saw it wasn't crossing any lines or affecting their product in a negative light they said "cool."  ...which is a lot better than most companies these days ::cough::SYSTEM SHOCK::cough::

• RymosRymos Member CommonPosts: 58

Titan is NOT a starcraft or any of their other IP MMOs, your all idiots.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by itbewilly

Originally posted by daydreamerxx

What im seeing is blizzard geting defensie over the name which means titan their hiden mmo project is prolly starcraft related

“We have nothing to advertise for the new MMO because it's a shell of a game thus far,” said Zarhym. “We've already stated it'll be a brand new franchise, which means the lore, art, and game play are being developed entirely from scratch. It's an overwhelming process, but a process through which we excel. Our track record supports this.”

"“brand new franchise”

aka 

Not WoW related.

Not Diablo related

Not Starcraft related

link to the story on Gamepro

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/210220/blizzards-unannounced-mmo-to-be-based-on-new-franchise/

If the name Titan is anything to go by, it invokes the images of a Mech based sci-fi game in my mind.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by Solestran

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/210220/blizzards-unannounced-mmo-to-be-based-on-new-franchise/

If the name Titan is anything to go by, it invokes the images of a Mech based sci-fi game in my mind.

All their project names are forms of mythic entities, they bear no relevance to the final product.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by Rymos

Here's a guy who when he looks into a crystal ball, he can see the future.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• lavisanlavisan Member Posts: 15

I like that Blizz invited Winzen to meet the development team. It's a good way for them to mend the fence for the people that were mad at them for this whole situation.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Palebane

Either that or Mike Morhaime has finally heard enough from us schmucks, and had to let us all know how he really feels.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• LickitungLickitung Member Posts: 35

It's good to hear the official word from Blizzard, tho last night on Winzen's forum for the SC2 mod, the full story was already given.  Blizzard invoked teh copyright hammer mainly cause, apparently, they own the rights to "World of Starcraft" as a name and they were concerned that Winzen was producing parts of this OUTSIDE of the SC2 mod tools.  After he assured them it was being produced entirely in SC2, they backed down to simply requesting he change the name and were willing to work with him on this.  Without double checking, I believe he stated that he was working with another person to join his project with thier "Starcraft Universe" Project, also already in the works.

• DwarvishDwarvish Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by syntax42

What I'm getting from all of this:

If you violate someone's copyright with enough skill, you get a job instead of getting sued.

Hmm... which video game can I go mod and get a job from?

To true.  It also works for many hackers. Steal peoples life savings and get a job....with the Govt.

Originally posted by Effect

It's completely obvious that Titan is a Starcraft MMO. Companies lie until they are ready to go public with something. Why would they, in their position, create a brand new unproven IP as a MMO first? That doesn't make any sense. That's an insane risk where there doesn't need to be one. If it was a brand new IP they'd start with a single player game to establish a player base and lore/history for it. While there is some crossover I think those that play Diablo for example are mainly separate player base from Warcraft and Starcraft. There might be even some separation there as well. So there is no guarantee that those player bases would simply embrace a brand now MMO IP. Also to openly say it's a Starcraft MMO now would possibly give away how Starcraft 2 and it's expansions might end.

Well, based on the last sentence you typed, are you saying they're planning to tandem release a SC based MMO and the final chapter for SC2?  Cause current release listed for the Zerg SC2 isn't till next year.  Give the same window for the 3rd installment and that maps out at least five years time for them to work this project, more than standard for MMO's nowadays.

Originally posted by Dwarvish

Originally posted by syntax42

What I'm getting from all of this:

If you violate someone's copyright with enough skill, you get a job instead of getting sued.

Hmm... which video game can I go mod and get a job from?

To true.  It also works for many hackers. Steal peoples life savings and get a job....with the Govt.

He didn't violate a copyright outside of using the name "World of Starcraft".  He's doing this using a toolset that shipped with SC2.  He isn't hacking.  So if you're wanting to emulate him, do something uber with a game that ships WITH the game and not try to mod just any game on the market.  I'm sure the only reason he was even targeted in the first place was because of the intense success of his videos.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I wonder if Blizzard will react the same to BoneCraft?  http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/21/the-mmo-report-good-to-the-last-drop-edition/

• zodwraithzodwraith Member Posts: 3

Mostly what I read here is:  Person pours soul into making something cool. Activision sees someone on their turf and attacks. Blizzard sees and feels stupid cause they're real gamers and know every gamer sees this as a total d-bag move that you'd expect from SOE, not Blizzard.

When is Blizzard going to see Activision is a cutthroat, greedy pimp that they never needed? WoW is already on the corner in lipstick, starcraft is sizing up stilletto heels, and he's eyeing your little sister Titan hoping she'll fill out nicely. I'm just anxious to see what they've done with Diablo 3 cause I haven't seen anything new on it for a while since the merger. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision is pushing to split it into seperate games ala Starcraft to soak the consumer for every penny they can. Just look at Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, etc. Not originated under Activision but whored for every penny once Activision had the reins.

• divmaxdivmax Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Palebane

He also can't spell "you're". Pot/Kettle?

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

haha , but too late Blizz you showed the true face already. This is only a try to lessen the damages:)

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I wonder if Blizzard will react the same to BoneCraft?  http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/21/the-mmo-report-good-to-the-last-drop-edition/

LoL @ That. I doubt they will even care(Blizzard) Besides if parodying something was illegal we would have no Weird Al and some of the stupidest funny movies ever made.I doubt Blizzard would care.Most people wont even bother looking at "Bonecraft" and causing a big stir over it would only make more people wanna buy it. Then again who knows.