Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codemasters sues Netdevil

DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

That right shenaigins have been called by Codemasters because net devil failed on their obligation of JGE.

Codemasters sues

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

WHile I believe codemasters is in the right on this, here is a perfect example of why games are released far too early, and probably always will be...

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by Robsolf

WHile I believe codemasters is in the right on this, here is a perfect example of why games are released far too early, and probably always will be...

I understand what you are saying but even for delay there should be a reasonable limit.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• cdhamescdhames Member Posts: 26

That does sound ominous.  I don't buy into the Vaporware rants normally.  But I wonder if the paranoia crowd may actually have something here for once.  According to that legal filing, they want Netdevil to fully ante up (in escrow), or fully rescind the contract (after paying back everything + costs incurred).  Assuming Codemasters is in the business of making money, you have to wonder why they would opt for a contract rescission.  It smacks of "get out while we can" lingo.  I get the feeling that if they thought Netdevil could deliver sometime soon, then they wouldn't have included the alternate rescission claim.  They may still have sued for breach of contract, but why add the option to cancel the entire contract if they knew the money was around the corner?

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Yeah the real worry is that net devil cant pay its fee and has to cut costs by selling off assets to cover the court bill, and no I dont think owning company Gazillion will bail them out, they would only do that if it was going to mean the closure of net devil which I dont think it does.

It does mean that nothing will be said or done for jumpgate until the suit is settled, and we all know how fast the courts are and how much backlog they tend to have, so I dont think were going to see anything on this project for at least another year, possibly two.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Dvalon

Yeah the real worry is that net devil cant pay its fee and has to cut costs by selling off assets to cover the court bill, and no I dont think owning company Gazillion will bail them out, they would only do that if it was going to mean the closure of net devil which I dont think it does.

It does mean that nothing will be said or done for jumpgate until the suit is settled, and we all know how fast the courts are and how much backlog they tend to have, so I dont think were going to see anything on this project for at least another year, possibly two.

Yeah here's the problem that compounds NetDevil's problems. While it sits , the devs won't touch it while it's in litigation . The code ages and tech marches forward , while one year may not seem an issue , anything more becomes a problem.  It really comes down to continuity of work. You'd like to see continuity in the Dev porcess. It bcomes difficult to retain the people once a project is shut down for any time. This is exhibited by the people that jumped ship before the  litigation was filed. I believe as far a legal issues go , two years is highly optimistic . NetDevil, if it felt it was close or had a good porduct would settle up and move on . It hasn't . This means one thing. It's trying to buy time. It's trying to accumulate the necessary funds for a settlement , imposed or agreed upon.  A second option would be to declare bankruptcy , but then Codemaster may be entitled to the assest that constitue NetDevil. This may actually be Codemaster Strategy ?

Nah Net Devil is owned by Gazillion , and their massive and can easily handle a 1.3 million payoff, but I dont think they will step in unless it did actually mean to save the company(net devil), if net devil can pay for it on their own by selling stuff off or stalling or domthing else then Gazillion will simply let them get on with it.

Bottom line is the fans who expected this any time soon are left without , and those who expected it in the next 6 months to a year are looking for something else, the only people left in their community now are the ones who really , really dont have anything else to do.

• TikigodTikigod Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by Dvalon

Nah Net Devil is owned by Gazillion , and their massive and can easily handle a 1.3 million payoff, but I dont think they will step in unless it did actually mean to save the company(net devil), if net devil can pay for it on their own by selling stuff off or stalling or domthing else then Gazillion will simply let them get on with it.

Bottom line is the fans who expected this any time soon are left without , and those who expected it in the next 6 months to a year are looking for something else, the only people left in their community now are the ones who really , really dont have anything else to do.

Sorry Dvalon, but given that Jumpgate is now Gazillions owned IP (Hence the changes in legals for all fansites and other assets after the change), I don't really think they have much of a choice in if they step in and foot the payoff themselves or not when it comes to Codemasters insistence on being covered for previous expenses toward the IP and failure to be given the source code for their own use.

As for your claims about the community leaving and only "Those who really really don't have anything else to do"... speak for yourself and your own recent disinterest and perhaps avoid assuming your feelings apply to everyone else.

The forums still have new faces arriving and asking questions (Albeit ones there are not clear answers to), there is discussion on the forum from various people both old and new about what little there is out there (Such as the recent threads discussing the station screenshots and the viability of a sci-fi shooter as a MMO), and so forth.

No it's not the most active forum for a MMO in development out there, but there is activity and there is interest even with the quiet information situation that the lawsuit has likely helped prolong ... so spreading misrepresentation out of being fed up yourself is just bad play. :p

You don't think there's anything amiss? I'm sat here wearing a red and white gingham dress, and army boots, you think that's un-amiss?

Well according to the law suit, Gazillion aka Net Devil are trying to NOT PAY, and are currently seeking avenue's open to them to default or avoid the payment, if Gazillion was going to cover their ass, they would have simply settled.

Another key thing is that Net Devil made the deal with code masters BEFORE gazillion took them over, so in gazillions eyes its net devils problem .

As for me thinking all jumpgate fans on the forums are die hard fan boy's I for a very long time counted myself in that group, along with you, lets face it any fan that can go as long as we have while still sticking around has to be a bit of a fan boy you cant deny it.

And there will always be new people coming along, slow steady stream of sign ups they have a website and google indexed, so anyone typing in space shooter is going to stumble over jumpgate at some point, we know there is a demand for the game, or a game like it so having a flow of new members to the forums is not actually a major plus point, its just a fact of the web.

Let me be clear, I think Jumpgate if they ever get it off the space dock will be amazing, if I didnt think that I would not have stuck around in the official community for as long as I have, its more Gazillion and now Lance Robertson and Net Devil direct that I have major concerns and issues with.

And since I cant voice those issues, without being labeled a troll or I cant voice my concerns over their handling of the community without being banned on their forums, its simply better for me to leave their official community.

• RenkoRenko Member UncommonPosts: 97

A very sad end, it all looked so good at one stage.

The official forum now looks uncannily like the Stargate World forum as it wound down. You have just got to admire some peoples stubborn refusal to face the facts and unwavering belief that it will somehow end well despite all the indicators to the contrary.

• icaticat Member Posts: 6

Yeah, at points even in the very stable and steady eve online camp people were worried about jumpgates presence, it had the ability to rival companies like CCP and games like eve online

A large proportion of space set mmo's have stopped worrying, I still like many others have hope for the game though, would be an incredible waste of a large amount of code if it just dissapeared