Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arche Age Sandbox Information // Ultima Online Influenced

Comments

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by Tylon

I think many sandbox games uses their "sandboxness" as an excuse for lack of quests. Just because a game is open world and non linear does not mean there can't be just as many quests as a non-sandbox game.

You can have a number of smaller quest chains and even larger story quests put around the world, even if people do not necessarily have to follow them.

I think procedurally generated quests would also work well in sandbox games. They don't need to tie in to a strict storyline, but still allow people to have guided 'goals' with rewards on completion.

What you specifically want there is essentially a Themepark.  You have a million of those already in the MMORPG genre.

A true Sanbdbox will not have a series of things to string you along, holding your hand.

This is not true ..A world is filled with lore and stories , and if it is done correct it can be filled with quests, as a player you will have to search for those things, explore..There is nothing that sais you have to get guided from NPC to NPC etc

.Sure you can also have a world occupied with only players , and as you say no quests , and let the players make their own quests..But that doesnt mean the above can't be a sandbox aswell..But a world occupied with only players has to be super well made, so it wont feel empty etc.

.Also since there usually is a diffrent skillsystem (skillbased) along a sandbox world the world is often mixed with all sorts of dangers or no dangers at all, ea you could find a very very dangerous foe next to some critters you fought when you just started the game..

A themepark is a game that is setup in diffrent zones ea lvl 5-10 zone and from there you go forth to 11-20 zone etc, and as you level you will get guided (just as you mention) to NPC in these new zones, and these zones are only as dangerous as the highest level of the zone

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by jayarte

I'm very excited about this game; it looks like it will (hopefully) fill the gaps left by so many mmo's these days.

Thanks to vesavius who mentioned Arche Age on the thread about why s/he won't be playing Rift.  I hadn't heard of this game before that, not sure at all why we aren't seeing more about it.

Hey, happy to bring folks into the fold:)

Now, pull up a chair and lets sit and chat while we wait lol :D

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Attention please...I am so fucking happy because I just saw that we gonna have an OpenBeta this Novemember! 

XL Games plan to run beta test in November. It's not a rumor, cause one of the XL Games employees already confirmed this information. So it's great news!

Source:an ArcheAge fansite!!!

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Aaaah..And a new Q&A interview with XLgames!

...It is really an interesting read! I also feel so great that they are going to implement an instanced PvE content ,I think I almost feel completed...

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • lilmark_utsalilmark_utsa Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Corthagath

unfortunately i dont think this game is going to be seen for western people for few years from now, if its not even close release in asia right ? so being able to play this game even in 2012 is way off the charts... it would definetely take more time unless the devs are planning to open the game for both audience, asia and west simultaneously, am i mistaken ?

From what I read in an interview they're hoping to release it in Korea in 2011.  If that works out I would think we'd see it in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2012.  Of course you know how it goes with MMO's.  Unless they say it's "official" it's always subject to change.

http://aaportal.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=83?=en

- When will American and/or European players get a chance to beta test?

From the start of this project, the US and Europe have been key target markets for ArcheAge. We want to make sure that we do everything necessary to ensure the success of ArcheAge in these markets. We do not want to prematurely invite American or European players to the beta test. At the same time, we know how important it is not to delay it too long. So maybe after we have tested it somewhat in the Korean market and the development team has taken a breath.

- Do you have a targeted release window?

We do not have fixed dates for any market, but would like to commercialize in Korea during next year and expand into other overseas markets as early as possible.

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412

Is there an english version of this game yet, or it is all in Korean?

• lilmark_utsalilmark_utsa Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Is there an english version of this game yet, or it is all in Korean?

Just Korean.

But this English speaking person managed to get into one of the Korean Closed Betas and wrote a review on it here.

http://aaportal.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=72?=en

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    I'm cautiously optimisitic about this game. All the features I've read almost seem to good to be true. But if it is, if they can pull this game off...omfg. Sign me up.
  • -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Lineage?

This game will be another Korean grind fest, like Aion, another game he likes.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• LumanilLumanil Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Didnt read the articles.. I have followed the game a bit. Would definitely be a purchase if there is a PvE server.

The word SANDBOX excludes that there will be a mere pve server.

SANDBOX means, that you let the players decide to play a robber/killer or a good guy.

What would be the meaning of playing a pirate, if you can't attack another ship owned by a player ?

If you really don't want pvp, then you should go on and play themepark-games. 

Sandbox-games without pvp would be a box only half filled with sand.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

This game needs to be listed on this --->MMO <--- website.  Its not vaporware and its backed by reputable people. List this game so we can communictae and share informtaiont in a shared location.  This website still has listtings for failed and shutdown games, why not Arch Age??!!??

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by Lumanil

Didnt read the articles.. I have followed the game a bit. Would definitely be a purchase if there is a PvE server.

SANDBOX means, that you let the players decide to play a robber/killer or a good guy.

What would be the meaning of playing a pirate, if you can't attack another ship owned by a player ?

WRONG!

Aside from the fact that The Sims is most likely one of the best examples of sandbox and its doesnt contain pvp, simply because I want to do something and can not doesnt means its not a sandbox.

Its the whole 'I cant turn this tree into a snowblower therefore its not a sandbox' arguement.

With that said if you look up the word 'sandbox' in Wikipedia it leads you to a word called 'non-lineral' in that article as an example of what is a 'non-lineral' game is the game Grant Theft Auto which is one of the most lineral games I have ever played in my life. So with that I dont take the subject of sandbox very seriously.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

The word sandbox excludes nothing except for the narrow minded.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

your fully wrong statement comes from this this very wrong basic assumption. a sandbox has not to offer every theoretical possible role. no tool, no role. such simple.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Wrong. What about A Tale In The Desert? No PVP there. What about The Sims? No PVP there.

Perhaps you should take your gankfest to FPS games.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125

There will be Open PvP.  No player looting however.  With castle sieges and boat destruction, you can rest assured, player looting and FFA PvP will be the least of your concerns.  

Hopefully, because there is some kind of territory/political ownership system, players can enforce rules in their territories.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I can't get enough info for this game. Keep it coming!

also to add

MMORPG.com admins should REALLY take note and put ArcheAge in the game list NOW!

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Originally posted by xSh0x

There will be Open PvP.  No player looting however.  With castle sieges and boat destruction, you can rest assured, player looting and FFA PvP will be the least of your concerns.  

Hopefully, because there is some kind of territory/political ownership system, players can enforce rules in their territories.

Don't count on it. Some player just like to kill other players. It's a dominance thing. Loot makes it better, but the lack won't stop them.

Once upon a time....

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Lineage?

This game will be another Korean grind fest, like Aion, another game he likes.

This is what I'm wondering about.

I see a big problem with levels that mean a big gap between players in capabilities. For PvP, it means you almost certainly have to have artificial segmentation of the player due to this, like Battle Grounds in other games that are for level groupings. Wide open PvP in a level grind means lots of players always losing to powergamers, and getting real tired of that.

The other thing about it involves trade skills, if gear also is made for levels. Hard to have a thriving, open economy in a game with that.

Once upon a time....

• AzzthurasAzzthuras Member Posts: 122

The game looks amazing and the fact that it is being made in Korea makes it better because Ultima Online was hard and this game will be hard as well because of the fact it may be grindy. The games engine is amazing... although I do doubt youll be able to play this on a standard Walmart model pc, which is fine, but they wont make as much money which may be a good thing in the long run *Cough cough* Blizzard *Cough Cough*.

Definatly on my watch list.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Azzthuras

The game looks amazing and the fact that it is being made in Korea makes it better because Ultima Online was hard and this game will be hard as well because of the fact it may be grindy. The games engine is amazing... although I do doubt youll be able to play this on a standard Walmart model pc, which is fine, but they wont make as much money which may be a good thing in the long run *Cough cough* Blizzard *Cough Cough*.

Definatly on my watch list.

I still cant understand why so many people think grindy and "time spent" equal a challange/skill/or difficulty...

Time consuming =/= difficulty

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

This game looks amazing but like many others I am a little sceptical. The graphics look awesome and it is nice to see a sandbox with a bit of financial muscle behind it. I always thought that to do a really good sandbox you would need a lot of time and money. I guess we will just have to see.

I love the look of the housing, farming etc... I have always been a crafter or other non combat role at heart. It would be nice to see how they do this. Hopefully it will be similar to SWG, with varying types of resources and quality, so not all the items you craft are the same. They vary depending on the quality of the resource and the skill of the crafter. Like the idea of NPC vendors too and the signs on your house, I may get back to my glory days of my weaponscrafter shop.

I am probably jumping the gun a bit hear but if this game delivers everything I am hoping it will, and of course they release it in Europe, then I know where my subscription money will be going.

Fingers crossed.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Funny how people recognize the game as 'sandbox' despite there isn't any information available that could support such claims...

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

This looks awesome. Thank you so much for posting this. Something else for me to look forward to

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by Gdemami

Funny how people recognize the game as 'sandbox' despite there isn't any information available that could support such claims...

Its all here mate:

http://aaportal.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=77&lang=en

Look at the first paragraph under the sub-heading 'The developers try to include the best parts of all modern MMORPG's in Archeage:'