Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

woah woah woah... WHAT?

2»

Comments

• CultOfDagonCultOfDagon Member UncommonPosts: 3

Yea like I said in my previous post, from what I've played so far the game isn't what I would call a sandbox, it does have some sandbox elements though (seamless travel between zones,crafting,the supposed political system). The game was pretty linear until I hit the first major city and from there i kinda felt thrust into the game's world. I don't speak Korean so i was pretty much lost after the Introductory Crafting quests and i've been traveling to the surrounding zones trying to find quests appropriate to my current level. I'm really liking the combat and art design the games beautiful, i'll have to wait for the english version to fully appreciate the game tho, unless i find someone that speaks both Korean and English to help me out   image.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The sandbox word is somewhat misused here, but there is no really official sandbox term for games.

It is not what we will call a sandbox here. But I am not sure how Koreans look on sandboxes anyways, most of their games tends to be either themeparks or grinders (few quests, just grind mobs).

Just consider it a regular marketting lie like Rifts "nextgen".

There are lies, damn lies and marketting.

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

I was interested in terra until I saw that it was made by a korean developer.  This mean it's a 99.9% of another horrible grinding game, only disguised as a "quest" game.   I saw someone describe having to kill 40 mobs to get the 15 items for the quest.

To that I say no thanks...

Originally posted by sadeyx

Lol

Sandbox games dont have levels, this does, so therfore not a sandbox.

Minecraft is more of a sandbox than Tera is xD

Levels are just a way to handle experience. Classes are just a way to handle specializations.

Sandbox means that most of the content is user created, nothing more.

And level does not really have to restrict people, some P&P games have levels that just add a few skillpoints.

Yes, "Minecraft" is a sandbox, you build all the stuff there yourself. "Sim city" is another sandbox while "The Sims" isn't one.

You can easily make a sandbox with levels and classes, but no one really have yet, closest is Vanguard that have some sandbox elements but is a themepark at the core. 

I mean do anyone thing a game with classes and levels that only have user created content is a themepark? It isn't. And it goes the other way too, you can easily make a themepark game without classes an levels as well.

Originally posted by lordpenquin

I was interested in terra until I saw that it was made by a korean developer.  This mean it's a 99.9% of another horrible grinding game, only disguised as a "quest" game.   I saw someone describe having to kill 40 mobs to get the 15 items for the quest.

I am sorry that I have to tell you this but most MMOs are horribly grinding game but with the grind hidden behind quests and gear.

What would you else call doing the same raid 100 times to get certain gear?

As for killing 40 mobs to get 15 things, that is common in western MMOs, not a long time ago that would have been considered good drop rate. I killed a lot more mobs in EQ2 to get 15 drops.

MMOs are very grindy, like it or not. But if they hide it well it is still fun. Killing 2 1/2 mobs to get a quest item is really not that bad, but maybe it is because I been playing MMOs since 96 I think that. 

I actually want more level grind than many games have today, reach max level in a week and then grind gear for 2 years until the next expansion is overrated in my book. There must be a middle thing between L2 (where leveling is a full time work) and Wow (where leveling is a tutorial).

I like improving my character while I play and not just with new gear. Endgame have gone from a place 5% of the population is in to 90% of the population.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Loke666

I am sorry that I have to tell you this but most MMOs are horribly grinding game but with the grind hidden behind quests and gear.

As for killing 40 mobs to get 15 things, that is common in western MMOs, not a long time ago that would have been considered good drop rate. I killed a lot more mobs in EQ2 to get 15 drops.

MMOs are very grindy, like it or not. But if they hide it well it is still fun. Killing 2 1/2 mobs to get a quest item is really not that bad, but maybe it is because I been playing MMOs since 96 I think that. 

I actually want more level grind than many games have today, reach max level in a week and then grind gear for 2 years until the next expansion is overrated in my book. There must be a middle thing between L2 (where leveling is a full time work) and Wow (where leveling is a tutorial).

I like improving my character while I play and not just with new gear. Endgame have gone from a place 5% of the population is in to 90% of the population.

Loke, the diffrence is, grinding mobs is optional.  You dont have to quest, you dont have to read the quest text, you can do what you want.  The problem is with korean grinders, is that a lot of times you have the option to do one or two quests later on, that wont bring you up to the next level, where you can take out a few more quests.

I like the option to read a good story and quest, and a lot of times, western mmo quests are interesting to read, apply humor, and usually tie into the next guy down the road who also will have quests for you.  Not only that, but if i want to change the scenery i can go elsewhere, quest there, im not locked into a situation where i have 3 pain in the ass quests only, quests that actually make standing there and farming mobs looks like the better option.

So yes all mmorpgs have grind, the question is do i HAVE to do it...

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Originally posted by Loke666

Loke, the diffrence is, grinding mobs is optional.  You dont have to quest, you dont have to read the quest text, you can do what you want.  The problem is with korean grinders, is that a lot of times you have the option to do one or two quests later on, that wont bring you up to the next level, where you can take out a few more quests.

I like the option to read a good story and quest, and a lot of times, western mmo quests are interesting to read, apply humor, and usually tie into the next guy down the road who also will have quests for you.  Not only that, but if i want to change the scenery i can go elsewhere, quest there, im not locked into a situation where i have 3 pain in the ass quests only, quests that actually make standing there and farming mobs looks like the better option.

So yes all mmorpgs have grind, the question is do i HAVE to do it...

Of course you have to do it....what will you do if you don't grind mobs, quests, gear?

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

when i said do i have to do it, i meant stand in a field full of mobs and grind for 8 hours to get to the next level. you know....grind

*edit*

fine i have the option to quest grind, dungeon grind, pvp grind, in order to advance, 3 options vs "im out of quests and i need 60% of a level to get more, guess ill go do these repeatables..."

• nimbuszero2nimbuszero2 Member Posts: 43

It seems like a lot of you have sand in your box, you whining, jaded turds.

• Originally posted by crunchyblack
    when i said do i have to do it, i meant stand in a field full of mobs and grind for 8 hours to get to the next level. you know....grind

*edit*
    fine i have the option to quest grind, dungeon grind, pvp grind, in order to advance, 3 options vs "im out of quests and i need 60% of a level to get more, guess ill go do these repeatables..."

Of course you have many option to leveling, is up to you. But even if you choose to leveling up through quests you will never kill the same mob for hours over hours, quests aren't so long and vary a lot. You have 2 kind of quest: normal and campaign. normal quest you can avoid and are more generic, campaign are the main storyline and are mandatory if you want a lot of exp, unluck more quest and want see the cutscenes.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Here is the thing about Sandboxes in real life and in games. You are always going to find a little poo in them. The question is, are you going to not play in that sandbox because of a little poo? Of course the best thing to do is to remove the poo, but then there always seems to be a little more.

I guess the relative thing is that poo can be made a big deal of, or you can play around it, just try not to touch any :)

Work hard Play Harder