Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shouldn't this one go F2P?

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I recently read that they were planning a traditional P2P launch.  This seemed odd to me.   With all of the competition coming (Cataclysm, SW:TOR, RIFT etc) I don't know that these guys can compete.  It just seemed to me that this was a game that was TAILOR made for F2P since it's focused around minions which should convert well to a F2P environment...

Anyhow... I love the setting so I hope these guys do well.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    I recently read that they were planning a traditional P2P launch.  This seemed odd to me.   With all of the competition coming (Cataclysm, SW:TOR, RIFT etc) I don't know that these guys can compete.  It just seemed to me that this was a game that was TAILOR made for F2P since it's focused around minions which should convert well to a F2P environment...

All the more reason to ask for P2P intially, then LATER drop down to F2P if you have to.

That way, you can make some money up front to defray costs immediately, while slowly intergrating changes and then becoming more competitive when those 'other' mmos come out that by then, will be charging premiums. People will usually chose a F2P over P2P all things considered so at that time, they may have someone who can't afford a monthly 'other' MMO fee (or box).

Sounds like a pretty good business strategy to me.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

It should be F2P already the original Beta killed the game lord only knows what the new one will do

just hope this company doesn't implode like the original did.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by GamerAeon
    the original Beta killed the game

Ohhhhhhh the original BETA killed the game.

I thought the original company ran out of funding. So did everyone else. You must know something everyone else doesn't. So how did the original beta "kill" the game? Please explain.

By making it P2P initially will help this company NOT run out of funding by getting money upfront.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by popinjay

I thought the original company ran out of funding. 

Later on they did, but Perp picked up Star Trek while GnH was in Beta and could only do 1 at a time so they went with the bigger title. 

Boy did that turn out well for them :)

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

rumor had it that the dev's on GnH abandoned the game to work on Star Trek Online, which caused a series of lawsuits, delayed STO's release (which now sucks ass) and cancelled GnH all together.  THat was what was being said during SOE's Fan Faire 2008...may be BS though...

As for F2P, i would subscribe to this game...absolutely.  Attending FF allowed me to get into Beta 1 and it was way exciting...hence my disbelief when the whole thing came crashing down.  I am thankful someone pulled it out of the trash can and saved it and will show my appreciation by subscribing...

I got a second beta invite, but am too busy with work to play though i fully intend to be done with work when they release the final product.

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

If you look at how the account setup is. Then it should be self explanatory. So even threads that ask questions like this shouldn't even exist.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

P2P is the way to go, especially on any type of launch for any mmorpg.

Let history dictate whether it keeps the P2P system or not as time progresses.

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

P2P is the way to go, especially on any type of launch for any mmorpg.

Let history dictate whether it keeps the P2P system or not as time progresses.

P2P may be the way to go for small companies just starting out, but it's not always the way to go. As far as history dictating anything, there really aren't to many good models out there to use to base that off of. I've reviewed and beta tested many games in the past. I can tell you this, the stark difference between P2P and F2P ends up being in the overall quality of the game released, and just how communicative the developers are with their player base. So in the long run, the choice for the developers choseing wether their product will be P2P or F2P is up to them.

By the way, I've seen some games fold and either not make it to launch, or not surive between the first couple of days or not last a full year. While some struggle and still do, and others live long and happy lives. This, of course, is between both types of payment types.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Nah, no game has to for F2P if its good, and G&H looks good.

The hype might be on some bigger names, but this will find a home amongst those that don't need to follow the hype zerg.

Not every game needs millions of subs to make a living :)

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I think it would be worth paying for if i wasnt bored of the gamestyle at this point you know?

Gods and Heroes is absolutely beautiful.

I just got done watching their newest video and it makes me want to play more. I was in love with the story and graphics its just the gameplay is the same old you know so i was like eh.

After that newest video im planning on checking it out more and maybe hopefully ill be able to post more bug stuff. I'd done as much as i could a couple months ago.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

I think RIFT, G&H, and a few others like them could benefit from going F2P really. The LotRO model does wonders for these types of games, and it seems pointlessly foolish to expect to charge the same amount as the established competitors you're trying to stand out from.

Oh well, 18 months down the road will prove your foresight wise.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I don't believe it should be F2P. However, if they expect to charge over $25 for a digital download or $9.99 a month for a subscription they'll have a hard time getting anyone to stay long.

Rift is a far better game and you can get into that for $9.99. It also has a better coat of polish to warrant the $50 price tag.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I think it would work on a f2p, sell people minions for cash.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by terroni

I think it would work on a f2p, sell people minions for cash.

that will turn it into Pay to Win model.

• GalthonGalthon Member UncommonPosts: 50

As it stands at the moment... I'd buy it. My wife and I have found it more engaging then the last few "AAA" titles have been. It's not going to be a WoW-killer or anything, but if they can keep quashing the bugs, it's got a definite niche.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

A quest based low budget MMO without any form of crafting or PvP is not going to fly with a monthly subscription.

Would fit perfect as a B2P and then some minor microtransactions for xp boosts,  respecs and cosmetics etc.

I would buy it, but never with a monthly sub.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

I just got into beta. Played for less tahn 10 minutes and I've already removed it from my HD.

The NDA is still in effect and I have not divulged anything about the game.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Originally posted by Keogh

I just got into beta. Played for less tahn 10 minutes and I've already removed it from my HD.

^ same.....it may be beta, but I doubt highly i wolud spend money on it even with a p2w model

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i just saw the trailer for this game, and it looks like Age of Conan with EQ2 graphics... lol ... either f2p or p2p this game is not appealing to me

• GalthonGalthon Member UncommonPosts: 50

You know, I'm usually the last guy to go fanboi about anything. I'm a pretty jaded old bastard, generally speaking. But 10 minutes? So you did what, created a character, logged in and ran to the first quest giver? Truthfully, I did the same thing. I grabbed a key from the front page, and figured it'd be like 90% of the games I grab keys for lately... the most amusing part was downloading and installing.

But I guess I was just bored that day, and kept playing through the newbie zone. The first 10 minutes felt like WoW 0.5; The rest of the zone proved me wrong. It's definitely a real beta, not a sneak preview beta, but it's not total junk. Hopefully I've stayed vague enough not to get whacked with Ye Olde Banstick™. ;)

Or should that be Vetus virga relegatione?

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

Game is not bad and its not good for now.

I played it for a while.

The graphic's are really bad Right now.

If they add direct X 11 up the graphic's and make the sound effects match what you are doing.

The game maybe good.

From what I played so far it do like the world. I like the direction. The game I hope is far from launch so they can fix the graphic's and sound.

If the game launches they way it is now with only minor changes this game should be FREE 2 PLAY.

If they bring the game up to par with some of the newer MMos then I hope it will be PAY 2 PLAY.

• bubu_3kbubu_3k Member UncommonPosts: 108

No1 in the right mind would 15/month for this game when they can play AoC for that much. Ain't worth it just for the minion system

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Alphamojo

Originally posted by Keogh

^ same.....it may be beta, but I doubt highly i wolud spend money on it even with a p2w model

Well that's your problem right there! If it was your first time playing, you didn't even make it out of the "Noob" area. It's like saying "I played half the tutorial and I've already removed it from my HD." HUH??? The game isn't going be a replica of the tutorial, it's only purpose is to get you comfortable at using the controls/UI.

It urks my nerves to no end when people down a game without actually playing the game. The graphics in this game are beautiful and by the time you finish the "Noob" area, you start to see where this game is trying to go (will it get there? i have no clue) and how it's going to set itself apart from the other games already on and soon to be on the market. It's simply not fair to judge this game based on how it was under Perpetual.

• eury2eury2 Member UncommonPosts: 41

the beta keys here were all out i had to go to a external source for my key and apon making my account i noticed that this game will go pay 2 play and the interesting thing is that if you look at some of the p2p games out they are being demolished by the recession and most like DND LOTR and many other p2p games are resorting to free 2 play with cash shop option because they are going belly up this game dont have much hype behind it and they should learn from other servers fast !!!!!

i give this game 4 months be4 its F2P

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I was contemplating on weather giving the beta shot but now that i've found out its p2p i'am defiantly going too..

I'am so sick of great PvE games being wasted because their developers get greedy.. I spent a lot of time (and money) on several of these MMO's only to be left with a bad taste in my mouth afterwords.. It seems like they start out free then they nickle and dime you with each new "content" update.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta