Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it time for player-created quests?

ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I'm tired of running errands for static NPCs. 

What I want is to be able to create a kind of COD contract that another player can pick up and go get the stuff I need.  It could be materials, the head of the orc king, whatever.  Just stuff I don't feel like doing but would pay another player to do.

What if EXP were a tradeable commodity?  What if you could take a bar of your own exp and put it into a quest reward?

Obviously you'd have to put time limits on the quests to make sure players actually finished them and it would have to be a first-come first-serve type of arrangement. 

Instead of a bunch of questgivers you'd have a stack of contracts you could search and sort through just like an auction house.  There would be competition between players to create the right balance between reward vs. time invested for the mercenaries.

It'd also be a great way for guild leaders to get their guildies working together too.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Comments

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I like the sounds of it, something like this would give us something else to do at end game atleast (i'm not much for pvp so end game pretty much means the game end for me :P).

Maybe give us some sort of an exp overflow bar once we're maxed out and allow us to put requests (see what I did there, lol...) up on a board or something for others to complete and earn exp.

It'd be like commanding minions to do your bidding muahaha, or just another form of a market/auction but by requesting items and paying for them with exp, or both lol. But why stop there, might as well allow item/gold attachments like all other quests too.

There would need to be some sort of limit to how exp could be awarded though, either by how much, how often, or how many times the same person can complete them, otherwise people would ignore it's purpose and just use it for leveling their own alts.

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Time for Sandbox revolution!

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

So far only two MMO's i know of give you the tools to make your own quests; CoH and STO but have not played them to know the tools extent.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by just2duh

I like the sounds of it, something like this would give us something else to do at end game atleast (i'm not much for pvp so end game pretty much means the game end for me :P).

Maybe give us some sort of an exp overflow bar once we're maxed out and allow us to put requests (see what I did there, lol...) up on a board or something for others to complete and earn exp.

It'd be like commanding minions to do your bidding muahaha, or just another form of a market/auction but by requesting items and paying for them with exp, or both lol. But why stop there, might as well allow item/gold attachments like all other quests too.

There would need to be some sort of limit to how exp could be awarded though, either by how much, how often, or how many times the same person can complete them, otherwise people would ignore it's purpose and just use it for leveling their own alts.

They'd have to scale the exp for different levels.  A bar of level 50 exp would be worth alot more than a bar at level 1. 

And yeah, your Player Quest exp intake would have be regulated or you could be gaining 20 levels per quest or something crazy like that.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• TrokarnTrokarn Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Chieftan

Originally posted by just2duh

They'd have to scale the exp for different levels.  A bar of level 50 exp would be worth alot more than a bar at level 1. 

And yeah, your Player Quest exp intake would have be regulated or you could be gaining 20 levels per quest or something crazy like that.

Although it is worth a lot more than a bar at level 1, I think a system like this could work:

The maker of the quest puts in a reward, which could be say 2 bars of Exp, and then have it so whoever does it gets two bars of Exp. You would have to make it so that you can only do quests that are made by a person who has a higher level than you, (though maybe one or 2 levels below you is fine too) otherwise you could just get bars of xp on a level 1 character and level another character very fast.  This also prevents the issue of players at cap leveling an alt through it because I doubt many  would want to turn hundreds of thousands of xp into one thousand xp for an alt.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Trokarn

Although it is worth a lot more than a bar at level 1, I think a system like this could work:

The maker of the quest puts in a reward, which could be say 2 bars of Exp, and then have it so whoever does it gets two bars of Exp. You would have to make it so that you can only do quests that are made by a person who has a higher level than you, (though maybe one or 2 levels below you is fine too) otherwise you could just get bars of xp on a level 1 character and level another character very fast.  This also prevents the issue of players at cap leveling an alt through it because I doubt many  would want to turn hundreds of thousands of xp into one thousand xp for an alt.

Why would you not level alts this way?  At level cap any xp gain is pretty much wasted so a 100-1 conversion woudl be definetly worth it.  Plus it might be easier to generate hundred  thousand XP on a max level character than it would be to generate a thousand XP on a low level alt.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Yes, it is.

It's interactive, fun and easy to program.

Bounty quests, tournaments for pvp, challenges for pve, with player driven rewards...

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

Originally posted by Chieftan

I'm tired of running errands for static NPCs. 

What I want is to be able to create a kind of COD contract that another player can pick up and go get the stuff I need.  It could be materials, the head of the orc king, whatever.  Just stuff I don't feel like doing but would pay another player to do.

What if EXP were a tradeable commodity?  What if you could take a bar of your own exp and put it into a quest reward?

Obviously you'd have to put time limits on the quests to make sure players actually finished them and it would have to be a first-come first-serve type of arrangement. 

Instead of a bunch of questgivers you'd have a stack of contracts you could search and sort through just like an auction house.  There would be competition between players to create the right balance between reward vs. time invested for the mercenaries.

It'd also be a great way for guild leaders to get their guildies working together too.

Sounds repettitive grind 1 way or another.

Kain_Dale

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Star Wars Galaxies has a system that allows people to make their own quests, package them up and pass them on to people to complete.  The quests can include practically any NPC type in the game and because SWG is a sandbox, can take place anywhere in the game. 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

The Ryzom Ring allows you to make scenarios/quests that you publish in the game. Players then play it while you host it. Great fun!

However, the opportunities for exploits are great, so you cannot use regular game rewards. The creator has to provide any mats or money.

One player made a "Yubo Ball", where you used repel powers on the Yubos (little cute furry animals) to make them go through the opponents goal. :)

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

I actually like the idea of donating your EXP to someone else to say...go harvest 100 units or ore, since i need it to craft.

However i can see something like this heavily abused.  Need to figure out a way to prevent people from power leveling their buddies and/or keep high level players from abusing the work of noobs for next to no EXP sacraficed.  Or abused by, say, giving someone a player task, that happens to be the same as an NPC quest, bam double rewards for doing one quest.

That or you could join an RP guild, have the leader invet some sort of RP event requiring the work of his guildies...you can do that in any game however, unless its task reward EXP your only looking for.

• TrokarnTrokarn Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Torik

Why would you not level alts this way?  At level cap any xp gain is pretty much wasted so a 100-1 conversion woudl be definetly worth it.  Plus it might be easier to generate hundred  thousand XP on a max level character than it would be to generate a thousand XP on a low level alt.

I added that because the poster before me, mentioned that someone could powerlevel this way and the system I described would fix that problem. Also, if characters at cap were just powerleveling their friends by pretty much just giving them xp, it could possibly make the community at lower levels close to nonexistent, which could deter more poeple from joining the game.

If you made exp bars a tradable commodity, (to lower players) this system could also be good for when your playing with friends. If one of you gets on and wants to play, they can without feeling like they're leaving their friend behind. I.e. one friend levels to 42. Then the other friend logs on and is level 40, so the 42 gives him bars of xp, and now they are both the same level.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

One of the devs on WoDO online mentioned player created quests in one of his blogs, it is very likely that CCP & White wolf are working on a system for this.

Transferable XP is actually a very smart idea BTW, good thinking. :)

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by olepi
    The Ryzom Ring allows you to make scenarios/quests that you publish in the game. Players then play it while you host it. Great fun!
    However, the opportunities for exploits are great, so you cannot use regular game rewards. The creator has to provide any mats or money.
    One player made a "Yubo Ball", where you used repel powers on the Yubos (little cute furry animals) to make them go through the opponents goal. :)

this is exactly why player-made content is good. Because all it takes is a 'one player did this..' and it can create a whole new gameplay angle. Like the 1 player who started off Dota.(Eul)
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Torik

I added that because the poster before me, mentioned that someone could powerlevel this way and the system I described would fix that problem. Also, if characters at cap were just powerleveling their friends by pretty much just giving them xp, it could possibly make the community at lower levels close to nonexistent, which could deter more poeple from joining the game.

If you made exp bars a tradable commodity, (to lower players) this system could also be good for when your playing with friends. If one of you gets on and wants to play, they can without feeling like they're leaving their friend behind. I.e. one friend levels to 42. Then the other friend logs on and is level 40, so the 42 gives him bars of xp, and now they are both the same level.

You'd have to find some way to monitor or limit how much xp is given out between players. Being able to just give another player XP would enable power leveling services to give out XP for real world money. This would side step the issue where the power leveling services actually get access to account information, but it's still the player just buying experience. If there's nothing that gives the game owners the ability to track it or differentiate between legit and non-legit XP transfers, then they aren't likely to enable it.

I don't know how you'd value the XP transfer though. X amount of materials traded in for X amount of XP, approved through the NPC. Based the amount of XP you receive on the last sale price of the goods in an Auction House. You could have a set amount for Quest Only items (like Centaur Hooves) modified by their drop rate.

I think just the idea of your XP at the level cap becoming a commodity instead of wasted time is a really cool idea. It gives you incentive to do more quests after you've reached the level cap and to help other people through quests at the level cap. I could be wrong, but I think it's a totally new concept. Bravo!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.