Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really great experience so far. More people should know about this game.

shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

Unique experience system, great market, tons of options for things to do.  GMs sit right in the help channel, friendly players.  Small active developers.  Stable and small client.  No upfront game cost(retail), smaller monthly fee than others.

Having an mmo where I didn't feel like it was a huge race to get to the end.. where just paying the monthly fee, I will slowly accumulate experience.  Quite nice!

What do you think?  Why has this not gotten out there more?

Comments

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

I just started myself. First of all, I'm thrilled to support an indie game developer by throwing a few bucks their way.  I agree the game is stable, the graphics decent, and the concept is pretty intriguing.

However I'm sort of on the fence regarding the game play overall. I love surveying for minerals, and finding the sweet mining spots...but the mining itself is tedious. Wish it were more like SWG and less like EVE.

Combat seemed rather slow too, though I haven't done much more than fight drones.  I guess I was expecting something more along the lines of the great Battletech computer games of the past. 

Finally, I think the client needs a bit of optimization. I've had to set graphics to lowest setting on a machine that runs DDO and LOTRO fine, and it is still sluggish. To their credit, the game still looks okay on this setting.

• GnatBugGnatBug Member Posts: 75

Hmmm I did the same.. gave the indie guys a chance and subbed for 3 months ...but i will not re-subbing. It fine the first few days then it just gets... well ... Boring. Its not for me be cause its just way to void of diversity.

Its just a EVE clone ...with alot less to offer... I would rather play EvE for a Great Sandbox experiance.

• eveisbettereveisbetter Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by GnatBug

Hmmm I did the same.. gave the indie guys a chance and subbed for 3 months ...but i will not re-subbing. It fine the first few days then it just gets... well ... Boring. Its not for me be cause its just way to void of diversity.

Its just a EVE clone ...with alot less to offer... I would rather play EvE for a Great Sandbox experiance.

This is pretty much the feeling I got after playing in the perpetuum beta.    

There's some good stuff in perpetuum which deserves note, but not too much that's truely original.  Most, if not all of the ideas and mechanics of the game were thought of and implimented first by CCP and still hold strong in EVE today. 

Graphically, Perpetuum isn't bad.   Decent effects, and nice maps I suppose.   Destructive environments i.e. trees and rocks blow up.     The sound is a little bland imo, and the scale is just terrible.      It feels like you're playing with micro-machines or battlebots.  Not Mechs.    Perhaps that desire for a good Mech based MMO is what kept me from appreciating Perpetuum.  /shrug.      I just know that giant robots shouldn't move around like bugs.  Their legs move too fast and their motions and animations are so speedy, its almost like watching cockroaches run around your kitchen floor, armed with tiny machine guns.

Plus, the skill system is time based just like EVE, so, I'd be starting over in a game that I practically already play and have years invested in.     This is one of the reasons it's hard for wow/eq-like games to pull the millions of players they want/need off of wow.   They don't offer enough differences to justify sacrificing time and effort already spent in a similar and/or superior game that's already released.

I'm happy to see something different on the market (yes, it's a direct rip-off of EVE in terms of mechanics and gameplay, but considering it's the only one to do that, I'll let it slide.   No one else is even trying to copy stuff from EVE.   So, if that's what the nextgen of games are, (clones of games before them), i'd rather see clones of  all sorts of games coming out, instead of clones of EQ and WAR/WOW all the time... if that's how it's gotta be.

"edit": I forgot to mention combat.     It's exactly like EVE, only it's on the ground instead of in space, and it's slightly faster as you have direct W,A,S,D control of your tiny robot, however it's still based on Range management, repair, and skills trained to determine outcome of battle.       If you play Eve already, I would suggest you just stick with it.   If you don't play Eve, it couldn't hurt to give Perpetuum a try.    It's just completely pointless to play them both.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

I liked the idea of Eve, but I hated how empty it felt and the controls.  I much prefer the direct control scheme of Perpetuum.  I tried Eve years ago, but just didn't like the controls.

• eveisbettereveisbetter Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by shadow9d9

I liked the idea of Eve, but I hated how empty it felt and the controls.  I much prefer the direct control scheme of Perpetuum.  I tried Eve years ago, but just didn't like the controls.

hehe, or LACK of controls for that matter, eh? 

It's no secret that EVE's ship controls need a good facelift and probably a total rework.      But, to be fair, I find the full WASD control scheme of Perpetuum serves little to no purpose considering the modules are autocycling just like EVE anyways.   The only movement I found myself really doing was moving forward and backward to get in and out of range.    I don't need WASD for that.  A simple throttle control would be just as effective AND more Mech-like.

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

Picked this up just yesterday, only thing I could moan about is starting and deleting toons, Im totaly unsure what skills to pick and it all comes from one pool of skill points, deleting a toon cost (im told) 2 days worth of skill points. Wish I could just wipe out yesterday and start again.

Still just a few hours into the game I finished the last tutorial had my 3 (crappy) bots and found myself knowing roughly what I was doing and in an even fight with some npc bots, had to run away at one point :)

I like it so far, yeah its amazingly like Eve but I dunno, still different. Bots look great, los, terrain make it a nice game for me

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by trozyxxx
    Picked this up just yesterday, only thing I could moan about is starting and deleting toons, Im totaly unsure what skills to pick and it all comes from one pool of skill points, deleting a toon cost (im told) 2 days worth of skill points. Wish I could just wipe out yesterday and start again.
    Still just a few hours into the game I finished the last tutorial had my 3 (crappy) bots and found myself knowing roughly what I was doing and in an even fight with some npc bots, had to run away at one point :)
    I like it so far, yeah its amazingly like Eve but I dunno, still different. Bots look great, los, terrain make it a nice game for me

Generally speaking, wait on spending your points until your sure about what you want. The game doesn't work like many where if you don't gear up/skill up right away you'll be toast tomorrow.

Also, your skills get progressively more expensive, so when you have 5 points in a combat skill, you could be better off putting points into another combat skill because they'd be cheaper.

Definitely read the online knowledge base on the skills too. It's one of the few games I've played where the online help was informative. It will tell you what all the skills do, and give you some information the combat mechanics in the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by trozyxxx

Well there is an account reset, you get back all EP this way, you can only do it once within like 40 days rom acct creation.

Everyone was in your boat, everyone messed up, thats why they did it. however its a pain to go though.  You need to delete all your characters, and if you dont have the EP to do so you must wait.  Also its a very good idea to take all of your belongings and store them with a friend or corporation, but a new player wont lose much.

Like they say in EvE, get yourself a good corporation to join.  THey can help you out and give you some sandbox type activities.

Corporation runs to beta island (pvp area) are a lot of fun.  Most corps that do this are either completely pvp combat focused or, well like a corporation.  We mine resources (best resources and at a higher density are on beta) while people transport the mined good to a safe zone, with protection from combat robots.

However if your only a day in, and you havent spent more than a couple hundred EP, no need to delete and reset. Unless your attributes are messed up (well balanced attributes are nerf, as are say combat focused and industry focused combined ect) or you spend all your starting EP on things that have no effect on what you want to do, or you simply ant to change which megacorporation (faction) you belong to theres no point to really go though the account reset.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I thought the same thing as you OP when i first got into the game, but after a month i was bored out of my mind and left.....and I have played EVE for years now so it takes a lot for me to get bored.

And yes I was in a big corp that was very active in pvp, mining, manufacturing and pve. So I experienced it all and quickly got bored. 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.