Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW is bloated and old. Rift is young and Hot!!

Comments

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by Macamus

And theres absoloutely nothing to do once you play a few weeks and hit the level cap..... Basicly the game is going from 0-85 and you done.....

Unfortunately that's what happens in most gear/level based games. The same thing will happen once you hit lvl 50 in Rift. You can farm the expert dungeons just like you farm heroics in WoW. Once you are geared up for raiding you can start farming them. Once you are raid geared you can...level 1-50 again and start the whole process over.

The interesting part will be seeing how many people stick with Rift once the new wears off and people start seeing that Rift isn't as different as they wanted it to be.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Young & hot but not much up-stairs.  Quest are bland, gameplay is bland, All in all rift is a one trick pony.  Wait and see what happens when they have to nerf the rifts because of all the complaints that will come rolling in. 

Sorry if I offended at few peeps with my words, it's only my opinion.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

If I had a dollar for every time this type of thread came out for a new upcoming mmo launch. Well... i'd have about 10 bucks. 

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

Originally posted by bigd525

Originally posted by Agoden

Theres no way in hell Rift will beat WoW.

As a wise man once said, WoW will slowly be chipped away at by all the new MMO's, there will never be one WoW killer.

I have no clue who that man was, i just remember what he said :p

No one said it will beat wow or kill it doesnt mean that RIFTS not a better game.

Well when 12 million people says wow is better compared to the maybe 500k that says rift is better ... guess we can say Wow is better... then again Pac Man is a Wow killer...

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

I plan to play this game when it comes out, but i highly doubt it will even dent the wow subs for more then 1 month.

Those people that play wow now will be playing it after testing rift, those that liked wow but are tired of it might move to rift.

If you enjoy wow there is few games that can come close to its content so your better of there if you stil enjoy it.

• jbgunzjbgunz Member UncommonPosts: 27

Playing WOW still love it, was in the first rift beta felts like EQ2 all over again with better graphics. Your character feels clunky and like shit in Rift. Major turn off for me. Not to mention it plays like shit on my comp. My comp is built for gaming(Rampage Extreme111 mobo, i7-950, GTX470 SLI, 6gig Corsair Dom. I'd expect more then 30 FPS on max settings and yes I know its beta. But sorry to burst everyones bubble release will not be much better  they can only optomize that shitty gawd awful engine their using so much. Rift will not kill the King of the hill. Rift will fall in with MMO's such as Aion, AOC and warhammer. lol welcome to the back of the line rift...

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

Ye, to a game that will be free in six months..

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Originally posted by jbgunz

Playing WOW still love it, was in the first rift beta felts like EQ2 all over again with better graphics. Your character feels clunky and like shit in Rift. Major turn off for me. Not to mention it plays like shit on my comp. My comp is built for gaming(Rampage Extreme111 mobo, i7-950, GTX470 SLI, 6gig Corsair Dom. I'd expect more then 30 FPS on max settings and yes I know its beta. But sorry to burst everyones bubble release will not be much better  they can only optomize that shitty gawd awful engine their using so much. Rift will not kill the King of the hill. Rift will fall in with MMO's such as Aion, AOC and warhammer. lol welcome to the back of the line rift...

You are clearly speaking from an old perspective. Rift has morphed and changed from Beta 1, 2, and 3 alot. They listened to beta player input each stage and worked hardto make the changes that now have people cheering Trion as a company that cares. The frames per second issue with a rig of your specs has been fixxed. You will likely see average 50 fps with your rig.

You can give up on Rift early and play the re-skinned WoW or wait till .....a long while to play GW2 or that star wars game, but you will likely be missing the boat.

This is Not your daddies MMO. It has enuff new flavor to be totally immersive. It carries enuff of a torch from the good parts of past games that it has an oldschool feel. It really is like a mix tape of some of your favorite classic tunes combined with some great mixes of today.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

I'm willing to bet 90% of WoWites will never even hear about Rift. Rift will end up like WAR, a ghost town.

IMO the only game that might truly challenge WoW is GW2.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Originally posted by busdriver

I'm willing to bet 90% of WoWites will never even hear about Rift. Rift will end up like WAR, a ghost town.

IMO the only game that might truly challenge WoW is GW2.

Guildwars 2 is not a subsciption based game. Guildwars two doesn't have player faction based lore that we know of to PvP about. Guildwars 2 doesn't have a questing system built on previous MMOs, but rather from multi player RPGs. Basically WoW and almost all other pay to play games have nothing to worry about when Guildwars 2 comes out since Guildwars 2 is a one time purchase. There is no real comparison between WoW and Guildwars 2 accept they are both games with fantasy elements.

Rift on the other hand. It's GUI is an improved version of WoW's GUI.

Rift open world PvP will actually mean something compared to WoW. You can LEVEL off of PvPing in Rift. Try that is WoW....not going to happen.

The calling and soul system in Rift is far deeper than WoW could dream up.

Rift won't be a monstrosity of a game that half the zones aren't used.

I will say this today since it should be noted somewhere. Rift will be the next big thing.

UO held the torch for several years, Then Everquest held the torch, WoW grabbed it from EQ and kept running with it.

UO tried to catch up but they scrapped the plans for a quality fully realized 3D Birttania. Everquest almost made a come back with Serpent Isle expansion, but WoW came out with an expansion that pushed people back into Azeroth. There is no shame in how MMO history has been written. The question is....are we really going to let WoW continue as king of the hill? My fellow gamers, I stand before you this day to say NO! I say NO MORE to WoW. Rift has captured my imagination in a way that only a handfull of MMO's have.

I have played alot...to many in fact. Several games I played were shovel-ware I had been sold a bill of goods about by the PR videos. Stuff like "you can play as a Dragon and fly high overhead" and others.

Another fact about WoW that turned many off....If you never played the expansions but you wanted to get the new expansion you couldn't just buy the new one. You litterally would have no way to level from 60 onwards to take part in Cataclysm without purchasing the expansions. That is a clear sign that Blizz really didn't have fans at heart at all when making Cataclysm. They just had $$$ on the mind.

At least Everquest came out with Serpent Isle allowing people to level all the way to the top just in the new expansion if they wanted to. It's just a sad thing when gaming companies see you and me (fans) as $$$ only.

Rift Devs have already proven to us the level of dedication they have to us with the quality and speed of patching in the last few betas. Where is WoW on any of these scales I have put before you. Down down down......I give WoW a 4/10 and Rift is not even out yet and getting more of a 8/10....and that's only because we haven't seen the higher level content yet which will push the rating for Rift even higher.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Karble

Guildwars 2 is not a subsciption based game. Guildwars two doesn't have player faction based lore that we know of to PvP about. Guildwars 2 doesn't have a questing system built on previous MMOs, but rather from multi player RPGs. Basically WoW and almost all other pay to play games have nothing to worry about when Guildwars 2 comes out since Guildwars 2 is a one time purchase. There is no real comparison between WoW and Guildwars 2 accept they are both games with fantasy elements.

Wow is just half sub based as well. The Chinese pay by the hour and exactly how the count sub numbers there is a bit fishy.

But the thing that GW2 is sub less does not mean other MMOs can't get hurt by it. Lets face it, 95% of all MMO players easily afford to pay the subscription fees for 2 or even 3 games. Yet it is not that common. The reason for that is that playing MMOs actually takes time and everybody have a limited amount of it.

It doesn't really matter if you can compare GW2 and Wow, what matters if it players will leave one for the other and the fact that they are different might actually be an advantage there.

Rifts strength is that it will be the first game in 2011 and that it is in rather good shape (unless they have made a Aoc and only polished the content to level 20 but that is unlikely, at least Rifts engine works fine unlike AoC). It is the first good and well  coded MMO in a long time and it will get some burned out Wow players.

But TOR and GW2 will be larger, both those companies and IPs have many fans while Rift is something new. Rift needs to be a lot better than those 2 to be the next large one and I don't think it is that. It is a good game but good isn't enogh.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by jbgunz

I agree that the FPS performance is rather sad. I have a 480 GTX, 8GB ram and a 3,2Ghz hexa core and I still got around 25 FPS maxed out, the game does not look so good. And lowering the settings didn't help that much.

It seems to be a problem with the engine and high end GFX cards (both Nvidia and ATI), people with old 8800 cards actually get a lot better performance. If they can fix that for the release however I think Rift will sell pretty fine. Not Wow fine but 400-500K players is not unlikely.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

OP Like most "young and hot", worth a quick shag after a couple of beers but you wouldn't have a long tem relationship with it.

• SignRiftSignRift Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Gorilla

OP Like most "young and hot", worth a quick shag after a couple of beers but you wouldn't have a long tem relationship with it.

Rift is the young and hot that you shag and have a baby with and spend many happy years together.

WoW is the Ex-Wife you pay back alimony to and child support even though she cheated on you to cause your marriage to fail.

WoW may have changed it's clothes several times but it's still the same old dinosaur we know as Azeroth.

Rift has the shiny glitter from the fantastic club still on it's chest as you head to the afterparty knowing the night will only get better with this one.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Lets see if everyone is singing the same tune three months down the line, shall we?

Foot on mouth tastes bad from what I've been told.

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

Do you even realize over these years... on EVERY game... before it release... its gonna own, its gonna be awesome... then after it releases... what happen?   Its just full of crap..

Kain_Dale

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991

She’s next gen, she’s hot, its like having a sexy new girlfriend as a MMO! Dump your old gal, divorce is painful but at least you never have to see the kids again.

Alternativily we could give readers some substance to make an informed decision on, not meaningless hype. :)

• DelmaiDelmai Member Posts: 15

WoW is bloated and old. Rift is young and Hot!!
    But Rift is the same easy mode like WoW and have bad and lame quests.
    WoW quests have more variety. But yes, Rift ist cool for casuals, only for them.
  • tzattzat Member Posts: 26

how do people have such strong and diehard opinions about  a game that hasn't even been released?

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

Topic + 1 :D

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by tzat

how do people have such strong and diehard opinions about  a game that hasn't even been released?

A lot of people have been in the beta. Then there's those fanboys/haters who claims they knows the game, even though they've only seen a few screenshots and videos - these are usually the ones with the strongest opinions, even though they usually are completely clueless.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Guys... I think rift is good but don't you think your jumping the gun a bit? We've only played the game to the mid 20s. We have no idea what this game has in store for us in endgame and how deep soul specs will be balanced. There's a lot we don't know. Rift could turn out to be like WAR & AoC, games that rocked until about mid level then fell flat on their asses. Before you ruffle the wow bots feathers let's Atleast play a released version of the game.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

and much like young and hot you use them once or twice and you dump them becuase of how shallow and boring they become.

Lets see rifts are repetitive.

Little reason for alts as almost one class can be everything.

Due to the number of souls people will roll on every weapon because one combination of there soul will be able to use it.

Tiny zones and small world.

While the soul Idea is kinda of cool it will defiantly detract from grouping and make soloing easier, which an mmorpg should not really be about.

Same starting zones so if you do do an alt, you can to follow the same linear path.

But as you said it is pretty.

A fat bloated mmo to me means its stuffed with tons of options and things to do.

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

if WoW is old and rift in new then i pray all the immature kids leave WoW so i can play WoW without ealking in stormwind and hearing "lord of the murloc or chuck norris joke".

• CruncherSixCruncherSix Member Posts: 93

Rift is made by Warhammer Online devs and it looks like they are just redoing their old mistakes WoW has absolutely nothing to fear from Rift.