Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is Grind?

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

For me grind would be, go kill 40 of x.

Go get 10 of x, but you end up killing 10+

DCUO, I think end game is all grind. I like the PVP but it's starting to wear off.

I think same can be said about the alrets, duos raids, etc. I feel DC has good setup for re-playabilty, but I'm not the person who goes after every nook of the game.

In WoW, I don't remember well, maybe at lvl 60 there were quests that were go kill 20 and the likes, they started to feel too much.

I never got around to playing Aion. I see lots of people say Korea = grind. Is the above it for you guys as well?

/discuss :)

Comments

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

Baby don't hurt me...don't hurt me...no more.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Grind is a feeling, a state of mind.

For me, the idea of running the same dungeon night after night after night is a grind.

• MimiEZMimiEZ Member Posts: 225

Grind is doing something you don't want to do over and over again, so you can get something or get to do something you want to do.

I don't consider doing the same dungeons over and over again is grind, because I like doing dungeons, but I do consider killing 50 creatures for one item grind.

-I want a Platformer MMO

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Yup, grind is doing something you don't enjoy repeatedly. Be it quests, killing mobs, running dungeons, farming rep, etc.

It's also one hell of a song Grind

It's also a kinky song Violet the Organ Grinder

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by mmogawd

Grind is a feeling, a state of mind.

For me, the idea of running the same dungeon night after night after night is a grind.

In DC I think I can relate to the Duos and alrerts we have to do. So there I feel it's grind too.

I played FFXI for years, and I did lots of SKY and this never felt grind. Most of the time I was having fun, same for the dynamis.

So I guess it's going to vary person to person as to what each considers "grind".

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Doing the same thing over and over. I don't think you have to hate it, as some admit to love to grind.

Without any context, it means to me killing the same mob, killing mobs in a single area or farming nodes for an extended period of time.

Quest grind means doing many quests for an extended period of time. It doesn't have to be kill or collection quests.

A Korean Grinder is an expression used in flamebaits due to few Korean MMORPG games without much content, or with a long leveling process forcing players to 'grind' to level up.

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

The MMO term 'grind' is taken from context of the real life phrase 'daily grind', which describes typical repeats that a person faces every day. (Wake up, shower, get dressed, go to work, come home, eat multiple times, sleep, and start over.)

Most people blatantly mistake grind for mob grinding, which isn't the only kind of grind that the standard MMO features. There are craft grinds, rep grinds, mob grinds, quest grinds, raid grinds, loot grinds, PvP grinds, et cetera and so forth. As much as you may resent believing so; every MMO I can think of features a grind in some manner of speaking, as no MMO I can think of is dynamic enough to progress your character ultimately to endgame by doing various 'non-repeated at any point' things.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

Grind for me is knowing I spent 2000 - 4000 hours (and a timer tells me) building one or several characters in an MMORPG just so I can kill some big bad guy who hides himself in some dungeon on the remote corner of the world, where I can do the very same thing in a singleplayer RPG in 50 hours and have more story showing per minute of that game on average than per hour of an MMORPG.

Of course rather than hide in hours, lets translate into minutes.... 3000 minutes in a game with a cool story vs spending 2000 - 4000 hours grinding and "getting strong" just to kill one big bad guy and say "yes I can, so there!"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Grind is in all MMORPG games.. always will be.. as in all MMORPGs you have character development and to develop your character you need to do things... Some MMOs have you go out and kill mobs, some do quests, some let you do quests, mobs and pvp to lvl... Its all a grind at the end of the day but you just got to find one you like.. and if you dont like any type of grind then go play an fps where you have everythign from the start the only grind then is playing the game..

To me having somthing to get to in game is a great thing and the more things to develop my character the better... Thats what makes an MMORPG fun for me.. cahracter development..

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Grind is a lifestyle or a playstyle!

How you choose to play a game defines if you are grinding or not. Was Everquest a grind? for many yes, for me no! I chose to play that game as a RPG. I didn't think about or watch my exp bar, i just simply explored places with friends and challeged ourselves to clear dungeons etc. Every now and again we would hear the infamous "DING" and find we had just levelled. I never sought out the best exp spots or tried to maximise my levelling...i just simply played a game that i enjoyed.

Do i go to work miserable every day and just want to get through the next 8 hours? no i have friends and although we work hard, we have fun too. is this grinding? no it's just another step in life.

When you play a game and endlessly stay in the same spot to get those faction hits or because the exp is good, but you would rather move on! then you are grinding. But if a game gets like that then maybe it's time to move on. Friends we should just pick up a game that we like playing and that we have fun with and see where it takes us. forget about this race to end game or this elite thinking that we can level better than everyone else....that to me is grinding!

I wouldnt care if i played a game that would take me 5 years to reach max level as long as there are things to do and ways to further my character, whether it be with loot, housing, crafting, factioning, pvp....or even just customizing my look. as long as i'm having fun then the rest just falls into place.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Although it makes me feel like a shallow sheep, i believe i have grinded in every game and only in my current MMO - Fallen Earth - have i not grinded yet. This is due to 8 years of the numbing MMO grind experience and refusing to be a part of it anymore. In this MMO, i decided at the start to play it as intended, to do just the content, just the missions, follow the towns in order, skip nothing. So far, it is kind of working; levelling is slow, but i am not burnt out. However, it doesn't cover up the games lack of goals or social integreation.

Planetside- i led endless platoons into battle to get Command XP
    Star Wars Galaxies- i grinded for skillpoints to master different professions to access the best stuff.
    WoW- I grinded to get my class gear (back in 2006)
    EQ2- I grinded to get levels to access other parts of the game world that were locked to me.
    EvE- I grinded for ISK, doing actual work i wouldnt dream of irl and actually paying for the privilege.
    Warhammer Online- Grinded to get high enough level to play in decent PvP.
    Darkfall- Grind required to just play.
    Vanguard- Whole process seemed so slow, was desperate to progess to do something new.

..and several others inbetween. Now, at the tender age of 26, i feel i have been 'working' all my life and now if a game doesn't let me do what i want, without doing a second job, it's not for me.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

Originally posted by Telil
    Grind is a lifestyle or a playstyle!
    How you choose to play a game defines if you are grinding or not. Was Everquest a grind? for many yes, for me no! I chose to play that game as a RPG. I didn't think about or watch my exp bar, i just simply explored places with friends and challeged ourselves to clear dungeons etc. Every now and again we would hear the infamous "DING" and find we had just levelled. I never sought out the best exp spots or tried to maximise my levelling...i just simply played a game that i enjoyed.
    Do i go to work miserable every day and just want to get through the next 8 hours? no i have friends and although we work hard, we have fun too. is this grinding? no it's just another step in life.
    When you play a game and endlessly stay in the same spot to get those faction hits or because the exp is good, but you would rather move on! then you are grinding. But if a game gets like that then maybe it's time to move on. Friends we should just pick up a game that we like playing and that we have fun with and see where it takes us. forget about this race to end game or this elite thinking that we can level better than everyone else....that to me is grinding!
    I wouldnt care if i played a game that would take me 5 years to reach max level as long as there are things to do and ways to further my character, whether it be with loot, housing, crafting, factioning, pvp....or even just customizing my look. as long as i'm having fun then the rest just falls into place.

This^^

I got asked by a clanmate last ngiht what the fastest way to level is. I asked why? What will you do then? He said "Make another character".

When a game lacks the social coherence and the goals enoguh to make you just want to level, then it's not good enough. Star Wars Galaxies to date is the only game i played where, although the was a bit of a grind to master a profession, it was acceptable. This was because i didn't have to do it alone and once it was done after a couple of weeks, you could concentrate on actually being part oft he game world.

So unfortunately for me, i only look at sandbox games now, all others i know would not offer the depth i need.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by nomss

For me grind would be, go kill 40 of x.

Go get 10 of x, but you end up killing 10+

/discuss :)

For me the limit is killing 38 of x - or go get 10 and you end up killing 20+ -- it's not quantifiable in absolutes.

Grind (in a MMO context) is working at boring repetative tasks. Everyone has there own threshold of bordeom. Most will tolerate a certain amount of grind if the 'fun' bits make up for it.

Some actually enjoy repeating tasks (of varying complexity) over and over. Knitting is a grind, yet some enjoy it and find it relaxing. Others prefer something like golf, again swinging a club is quite simple however minute changes in stance, swing grip etc. has a profound effect on outcome. It's all pretty subjective and has been discussed ad nauseum here before. Nothing new (or good) will come of it.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Unreal024

Grind is doing anything in repetition, whether you enjoy doing it or not. Even daily life is a grind.

This. A grind doesn't have to be a bad thing as all games have some kind of grind. It's when the grind becomes monotonous that it gets bad. This is the problem with a lot of MMOs. The line between a fun grind and monotony is very thin at times.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Grind depends on the context:

Grind - in gaming - doing things repeatedly. Usually the term is coupled with a negative stance on the particular grind, recognizing that some grind produced delayed gratification, e.g. as being 'too' grindy, or 'excessive,' or a 'boring' grind.

Grind - between consenting adults - an erotic rotation of the pelvis.

Grind - in cooking to crush or pulverize into smaller pieces, e.g. with whole pepper corns.

Grind - archaic - to diminish or oppress as in ""Laws grind the poor, and rich men rule the law" (Oliver Goldsmith).

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• bigbadcronkbigbadcronk Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by terroni

Yup, grind is doing something you don't enjoy repeatedly. Be it quests, killing mobs, running dungeons, farming rep, etc.

It's also one hell of a song Grind

It's also a kinky song Violet the Organ Grinder

Wow, Terroni! you somehow managed to reply to a question with a prince video... Thats just... AWESOME!!!!

Kudos mate

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Grinding is doing something that you don't want to do, but have to do for the sake of the in-game reward you want or to get access to content that you do want to do.  It's not intrinsically about the difference between kill 10 rats and kill 40 rats, though there are a lot of people willing to kill 10 rats who will get sick of it before they get to 40, and not so many who would like to kill 40 but not 10.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Grinding to me is killing mobs without purpose, other than gaining a small ammount of exp with each kill of course.

There are games out there that do not even have the kill/gather X ammount quests in certain spots and force you to aimlessly kill the same thing for hours on end in order to level up to even get a quest.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Grind - Any game function that the gamer feels is tedious and beyond reasonable for their continued enjoyment of part or all of the game. Subjective

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

If you listen to the majority now a days, a grind is anything that is in your way of being at level cap with top tier gears... (thats until there's no more level & we all have to play fantasy CoD online).

To me, "THE" grind is being hand held through a constant stream of kill x collect y soulesss quests.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Originally posted by Goristro

Baby don't hurt me...don't hurt me...no more.

It may be sad, but I came to the thread to say the same thing.  image

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

The Grind is just doing anything that you consider a repetitive chore.

To some is questing, to others raiding, to others killing mobs for xp, and so on.

• RocksPodcastRocksPodcast Member Posts: 10

When I think of grinding.... well I'd better keep my mouth shut. 

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

I confess, the only grind I love is Crafting.

I like seeing what pops up, but I see it as another thing altogether. We all have limited inventory space and if you can just make an item from crafting, it means you don't have to keep a basic weapon or armor. All you would need to keep in inventory or storage are the crafting materials (like in Runes of Magic) and so its nice too because although the grind can be annoying, it feels more like a character is roleplaying a "crafting profession" and it feels nice when I can just make equipment and items for new players and older players who need them not for their main characters, but for their alternate characters. ^_^

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

grind = new everquest player knowing you are 85 levels and 8000 AA's behind everyone else on the server:D