Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: This Is Serious

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Talk about a load of crap. No really, that's what Adam Janovyak's The Rant is about this week: Crapping and MMOs. Believe it when we say we can't make this stuff up. So, with little else to be said, check out this steaming pile from Adam Janovyak and then, er, drop a bit of your own in the comments below.

That being said, even the rocks getting off part, I have some ideas of what would make everyone’s experience in a sandbox style world more immersive and in my opinion way more fun! I’m going to pitch it out to you, then, give you a little time to absorb it. Going to the bathroom. That’s right, I said it. Think about how awesome that would be. It would add an incredible amount of depth to whatever game it was in. Sure, in the past games have had toilets you could use. Most of them were there just so you could flush them. Sometimes when you used them they did make a peeing sound, but you never got any kind of benefit from it.

Read more of Adam Janovyak's The Rant: This Is Serious.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I remember a massive thread on the SWG forums about our chars going to the bathroom,  admitedly it included other stuff like eating/sleeping also but for the most part it pureley became about our chars shatting themselves if they didnt actually go to the toilet.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Rofl, performing mundane everyday tasks that require no thought in the realworld do not make games more fun for me.

By the sounds of it they are thinking of using bowel movements as a system/feature to benefit the player, how though? By "lightening our load" and enabling us to caring more, move faster, would we have a pooh meter that fills up, or would the whole thing just be an excuse to say "look we tried something new"?

I honestly have no interest in a "ultra-realistic" game on that sort of scale, mmo or sp, it would just be like being forced into playing the 'brushing your teeth' type parts of Heavy Rain over and over again, and ultimately would end up being very time consuming, especially for a casual player with only an hour or two a day to play.

Which kind of brings to question of weither something like this would work in a P2P or F2P game.

Personally I don't think such time consuming mundane tasks would belong in a P2P game, where time equals money, it would come acrossed as somewhat of a scam system designed to regularily waste your paid time and slowly prevent your progress overtime, slowly but surely, the time wasted on taking a dump and other things would add up.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

If the article is serious, it's stupid.
    If the article is supposed to be funny, it isn't - it's stupid.

I guess it is a matter of taste...

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184

OMG you just ruined Mortal Online next expansion!

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I just had to run to the washroom and thought of something funny.. Would people be holding themselves in real life so that their mmo character could finish doing their business first? My guess is yes "ARGH I got to peeeee! but my toon needs to finish up before I can go afk!" lol.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

There's a saying in some PvP communities where elite PvP'ers like to tell the people they kill to "Get Shit On" (GSO).   Adding this feature to a game, especially one with PvP, would give the phrase new meaning.  I think theres some lines we are better off if we don't cross.  

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184

Originally posted by Paragus1

There's a saying in some PvP communities where elite PvP'ers like to tell the people they kill to "Get Shit On" (GSO).   Adding this feature to a game, especially one with PvP, would give the phrase new meaning.  I think theres some lines we are better off if we don't cross.  

Hahaha, no more "tea bagging". It would be a whole new level!

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by just2duh

I just had to run to the washroom and thought of something funny.. Would people be holding themselves in real life so that their mmo character could finish doing their business first? My guess is yes "ARGH I got to peeeee! but my toon needs to finish up before I can go afk!" lol.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

amazing.. lol im actualy glad a read that. and probably could be remembered as one of the longest thought out poop jokes ive ever heard/read.

Reminds me of about 5 or so years ago.. or maybe more i dunno anyway its when the feeding people the 'hole' was going around.. which is when you made a sorta OK sign with your hand but upsideown, and you did it below your belt. If somone looked at the 'hole', the person who made the whole would punch the person who looked in the arm.

Now for the memory of the ablove paragraph A bunch of friends and myself were all hanging out at a friends apartment.. and i think there was about 10 of us. And after about 3 months of the pain of constantly getting punched in the arm by each other, every one of was was wiseing up and it was getting realy hard to get anyone to look. Then it happend. My friend paul decided to use his immagination and lead everyone on a 10 minute talk about how the 'hole' was created.... took almost everyone in the room the whole time, with the exeption of myself and pauls brother, to realize the entire time that he was actualy feeding everyone the 'hole'... he was a dick.. and thats 10 minues of my life i will never forget.. or ever get back.. just like the time reading this damn post lol

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Lawdy, lawdy, this made me laugh.  It was a nice (bio) break from the usual 'serious' fare.

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Originally posted by Gdemami

Hmm, citizen Gdemami has a point.

The King is not amused either.

Also, shouldn't photo credits be included?

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Ok i admit i was a bit amused but then i think do i really want my character to shatt themselves during a very serious PvE or PvP fight (nnnnnnnooooooooooo).

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

I  usually feel that we should cut those writing articles here some slack.... but I'm Really with you on this one..

Taste.. Yeah... I guess... Maybe I just get enough poop-jokes from the children I work with? *shrug*

• KilorTheMeekKilorTheMeek Member Posts: 260

Best poopy joke I've read in ages! 

Gotta say I'm not so sure I'd enjoy this sort of dynamic in a real game, but the way it was presented gave me a good laugh

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
  • HyperfishHyperfish Member Posts: 101

..I can just imagine the sheer awesomess in a PVP orientated game of hitting an opposing player so hard their avatar crapped he's pants.

Champion idea, someone give this guy a developers job! :P

• SputtRosaSputtRosa Member Posts: 18

"You have to admit, poop joke or not, you know you would try a game JUST because it had a realistic doody engine."

No, certainly not. First, it's not particularly amusing. Second, it's adding another level of tedious to a game, and everything tedious quickly adds up and makes the game less fun. Unless you're the kind who thinks realistim equals fun.

If that's fun, how about some other necessities as well? Brush your teeth or you'll get a toothache, preventing you from eating. Bathe or shower to stay healthy. If you haven't logged in and played for a while, you will be weaker; long enough and you won't be able to stand up or lift your backpack. How about having to go to a day job every day because it's the only source of income and you *need* to pay for where you live or you gain severe debuffs?

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

Who gives a shit? :P

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

LOL @ Mimzel!

Photo credits added.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

I think someone takes things a little to seriously.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• ServcrowServcrow Member Posts: 1

Using the bathroom in a Sandbox game.  Wouldn't that make it a "Litterbox" game? :)

• divmaxdivmax Member Posts: 106

No. Toilet-humour is never funny. Ever. This is one of the worst articles I have ever read. 

"MMORPG.com's newest contributor, Adam Janovyak" - indeed. 

• ChickGeekChickGeek Member Posts: 60

What a crap.

Online Games in Girl's Eyes
    http://chickgeekgames.blogspot.com

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

A snipe at Sandbox gamers weakly disguised as humor?

Once upon a time....

• OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55

My only thought is..

What happens if you don't log into said game for a couple of weeks, or even months...

What would you return to!?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Needless to say, don't quit your day job.