Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Filthy Dirty Rogue...

2»

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by abyss610

Originally posted by VoIgore

Entertaining video  :)

I played a loner pvp-rogue in WoW for a looong time (back when there was actual pvp), so i'm always in for some rogue pvp.But then, watching your clip i find the Rift-assa is so much WoW that i wonder if this game has a serious identitiy crisis.

Guess i need something a tad more different these days.

Anyway, have fun and keep on stabbin' :)

the assassin is just ONE of the NINE rogue classes,and the rogue classes (souls) have probably the most differing play styles. Riftstalker is even a tanking rogue,Sabateour uses bombs and traps,Bard is a support class that i have like 6-8 buffs running on the RAID,Nightblade is somewhat like n Assassin but uses more magic attacks(fire and death i think) can also add combo points at range,Ranger is also considered a Rogue.MOST of the Rogue classes doesn't even have stealth,and seeing that you can choose 3 different classes to meld together makes for some pretty unique play styles. and if i remember right you can't stay stealthed it only lasted like 30 sec intervals so made for mor tactical play.

so instead of being the typical mmorpg.com sheep try a game out for yourself before your troll and talk out your ass :)

Thanks for explaining all the rogue souls to me, but i don't see how this relates to my posting. If you re-read it, you'll find me referring to the Rift-Assassin as being quite WoW-alike, I wasn't talking about rogues as a calling in general.

The trolling and talking out of the ass is on you, which also makes you look like the typical mmorpg.com sheep.

*Edit: I played beta 2,3 and 4 btw.

• BeethovianaBeethoviana Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Entropy14

I agree Jaded, like you my biggest problem is I've grown tired of this combat system, I am very much looking forward to Tera and hoping it is done well, and that it succeeds so that hopefully more MMO's will take chances.

With MMORPG's people want depth and polish and combat gimmicks don't stand a chance. There have been many MMORPG's released with gimmick combat but they didn't do very well.

People that want gimmick combat will play twitch bases games or console games, no need to try and find that in a MMORPG.

MMORPG's is about the community, depth, polish and that trumps uber gimmick combat anyday.

Best Regards

• ed515ed515 Member Posts: 67

Nice vid, what kind of fps were you experiancing during gameplay?

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Beethoviana

I agree Jaded, like you my biggest problem is I've grown tired of this combat system, I am very much looking forward to Tera and hoping it is done well, and that it succeeds so that hopefully more MMO's will take chances.

With MMORPG's people want depth and polish and combat gimmicks don't stand a chance. There have been many MMORPG's released with gimmick combat but they didn't do very well.

People that want gimmick combat will play twitch bases games or console games, no need to try and find that in a MMORPG.

MMORPG's is about the community, depth, polish and that trumps uber gimmick combat anyday.

Best Regards

I agree. I see so many now trying to push for the action MMO over the MMORPG. Truth is they are two completely different things, and I for one wish the community as a whole would start to name them accordingly. An MMOG is not an MMORPG. If you want a game that has absolutely no need of story and no need of roleplaying, then you should just call what you want an MMOG. An MMORPG is about the community, depth, and polish. What it isn't about is twitch based action adventure gaming. Thats called an MMOG.

But I do like one thing though, notice how the dude in the quote of the quote here never mentions MMORPG, just MMO , there is NO RPG in there for the record.

Oh yeah almost forgot, nice vid. Reminds me of my days on the stealther squad out in the frontier. Man I miss those times. You make this on a PvP server or just a regular PvE one in BETA?? Just curious how much fun a stealther will be in both environments.

Originally posted by ed515

Thats not me in the video i just posted for people that might be interested in Rift's PvP. I get 45-55fps in Warfronts and 30-35fps in Raid Events with 250+ players, but i only have a 250gts and a dual core 3gig cpu.

• ed515ed515 Member Posts: 67

Oh, still tho, those are good numbers. I was just wondering because I heard people saying it's a graphics intensive game.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by ed515
    Thats not me in the video i just posted for people that might be interested in Rift's PvP. I get 45-55fps in Warfronts and 30-35fps in Raid Events with 250+ players, but i only have a 250gts and a dual core 3gig cpu.

Some system configs handle the game better than others, I only got 16-20fps with a similar set up - gtx260 and dual core 3ghz, in towns and during rifts I only get 8fps.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Yup, I can see now why Rift gets compared to WOW so much. Looks like a carbon copy of rogue gameplay which I've been enjoying for years.

• gamubigamubi Member Posts: 20

PVP looks pretty fun. I hope theres no auto aim in pvp that always takes the fun out of it. If you have to be at least facing your opponent then thats fun. Or being able to hide behind objects ect.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by gamubi

PVP looks pretty fun. I hope theres no auto aim in pvp that always takes the fun out of it. If you have to be at least facing your opponent then thats fun. Or being able to hide behind objects ect.

Have to be facing yes, some spells no, but most yes. And no Auto sticky.

• OrrionkaOrrionka Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by ScribZ

Originally posted by gamubi

Have to be facing yes, some spells no, but most yes. And no Auto sticky.

....and terrain DOES break line of sight

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Best Regards

I agree. I see so many now trying to push for the action MMO over the MMORPG. Truth is they are two completely different things, and I for one wish the community as a whole would start to name them accordingly. An MMOG is not an MMORPG. If you want a game that has absolutely no need of story and no need of roleplaying, then you should just call what you want an MMOG. An MMORPG is about the community, depth, and polish. What it isn't about is twitch based action adventure gaming. Thats called an MMOG.

But I do like one thing though, notice how the dude in the quote of the quote here never mentions MMORPG, just MMO , there is NO RPG in there for the record.

Oh yeah almost forgot, nice vid. Reminds me of my days on the stealther squad out in the frontier. Man I miss those times. You make this on a PvP server or just a regular PvE one in BETA?? Just curious how much fun a stealther will be in both environments.

I don't believe either of these excuses tbh. First off... "gimmick combat"? I don't think thats the word your looking for, as these traditional combat systems are very dated at this point and having a new combat system that is more fun and involving is what will take mmo's to a "next gen" not polish or depth( is eve next gen?). A gimmick would be somthing that is introduced just for the sake of introducing it and getting attention and is otherwise irrelevant. A new combat system would be something that overhauls the dated feel of alot of these mmo's, so i dont think thats a gimmick.

Nothing says that an mmo has to have these types of combat systems, or an mmorpg for that matter. Nothing is RPG about tab targeting 123 systems, and some of the best rpg games don't have this type of combat. And i don't see how a twitch based system that requires aim for example some how negates any chance of story or roleplaying. You can have actual involved aimed combat and still have a community ,story, depth, and polish, go on steam , there are hundreds.

Like i said, enjoy the game, it looks like a great traditional mmo, but i just don't buy either of these excuses to stick with the same thing we've had for years when quite frankly, the technology has moved passed it and it shouldn't be the expected anymore. mmo's are the only genre of games i've seen were it hasn't moved along with the times, and i was simply pointing out that i want the next generation to come already.

Originally posted by jadedlevir

Best Regards

I don't believe either of these excuses tbh. First off... "gimmick combat"? I don't think thats the word your looking for, as these traditional combat systems are very dated at this point and having a new combat system that is more fun and involving is what will take mmo's to a "next gen" not polish or depth( is eve next gen?). A gimmick would be somthing that is introduced just for the sake of introducing it and getting attention and is otherwise irrelevant. A new combat system would be something that overhauls the dated feel of alot of these mmo's, so i dont think thats a gimmick.

Nothing says that an mmo has to have these types of combat systems, or an mmorpg for that matter. Nothing is RPG about tab targeting 123 systems, and some of the best rpg games don't have this type of combat. And i don't see how a twitch based system that requires aim for example some how negates any chance of story or roleplaying. You can have actual involved aimed combat and still have a community ,story, depth, and polish, go on steam , there are hundreds.

Like i said, enjoy the game, it looks like a great traditional mmo, but i just don't buy either of these excuses to stick with the same thing we've had for years when quite frankly, the technology has moved passed it and it shouldn't be the expected anymore. mmo's are the only genre of games i've seen were it hasn't moved along with the times, and i was simply pointing out that i want the next generation to come already.

Maybe some day we will get a wonderful twitch based MMORPG that does it well and is fun, polished, innovative and has depth. But as of now and in the imediate future there isn't and won't be one for awhile.. So far they just don't work or are a total niche game.

I like my MMO twitch based games like BF1942 mods, and still like playing Unreal Tournament, but when it comes to my MMORPG's ill like the traditional style. No need to blend the two unless it's actualy done well, and that just hasn't happened yet and i don't see it happening any time soon.

Seems like games that focus on the twitch based combat lack the depth and polish of the traditional MMORPG's, there must be a reason why Developers of MMORPG's can't get this right.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

That was cool, thanks for posting the video.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by jadedlevir

Best Regards

Maybe some day we will get a wonderful twitch based MMORPG that does it well and is fun, polished, innovative and has depth. But as of now and in the imediate future there isn't and won't be one for awhile.. So far they just don't work or are a total niche game.

I like my MMO twitch based games like BF1942 mods, and still like playing Unreal Tournament, but when it comes to my MMORPG's ill like the traditional style. No need to blend the two unless it's actualy done well, and that just hasn't happened yet and i don't see it happening any time soon.

Seems like games that focus on the twitch based combat lack the depth and polish of the traditional MMORPG's, there must be a reason why Developers of MMORPG's can't get this right.

Think that's why many are starting to catch on to Tera. I chalked it up to another action hub game but it's supposed to be an open world and it looks like it's going to be a blast.

I saw 2 tank videos 1 where the tank was a shield/lance tank and he had to actively block special attacks with his shield to mitigate damage. I saw another tank video where the tank is an 'evasion' tank. Only instead of just having a high roll % chance to dodge an auto-attack, he was actually dodging around using tumbling and diving out of the way of attacks to mitigate damage.

Action doesn't have to be twitch-based/bunny hopping.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

WEll for me , I must admit this is a bit sad to see, I really dislike stealth meaning invisible, not sure if thats the case in Rift, but a  class that can sneak up on you in an open feild and not be noticed is a bit sick, ive played the rogue in vanilla wow , and quit cause it was a dumb idea.

Sad to see this game has copied this class again.

I'd be pissed if it didn't allow stealth.. I myself am not a fan of classes that use pets but i know others like it so i wont bash rift for includeing it.. Damn pets can tank in this game tho lol

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

This video more then anything else i've seen about Rift so far as made me realize i'm NEVER touching this game.

For 10 seconds i actually thought i was seeign low level arathi basin, then i saw the invisibility, the "kidney shots" and so on.

Well at least all the wannabe gankers will have a pet game for a while.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

WEll for me , I must admit this is a bit sad to see, I really dislike stealth meaning invisible, not sure if thats the case in Rift, but a  class that can sneak up on you in an open feild and not be noticed is a bit sick, ive played the rogue in vanilla wow , and quit cause it was a dumb idea.

I'd be pissed if it didn't allow stealth.. I myself am not a fan of classes that use pets but i know others like it so i wont bash rift for includeing it.. Damn pets can tank in this game tho lol

Stealth is not invisibility though.

Somehow everyone dismisses this point.

Invisibility is just a really bad excuse for a mechanic.

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

Was an entertaining video but I'm still not sold on the game and yes I have been in the Betas. For me, it doesn't offer anything new apart from a novelty value that will soon wear off.

Besides I see just two factions again for PvP (and not three like DAoC) and we all know how that works out. Losing side will stop showing up and then the action goes stale as people bandwagon to the more successful side. 

I think the most startling thing I noticed from watching was what was going on in the chat channels. What a bunch of horrible people! Some of the stuff being said was just dreadful.  I hope those responsible all end up as subscribers here so I don't have the meet them in any MMO I play. 

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

Originally posted by Arnuphis

Was an entertaining video but I'm still not sold on the game and yes I have been in the Betas. For me, it doesn't offer anything new apart from a novelty value that will soon wear off.

Besides I see just two factions again for PvP (and not three like DAoC) and we all know how that works out. Losing side will stop showing up and then the action goes stale as people bandwagon to the more successful side. 

I think the most startling thing I noticed from watching was what was going on in the chat channels. What a bunch of horrible people! Some of the stuff being said was just dreadful.  I hope those responsible all end up as subscribers here so I don't have the meet them in any MMO I play. 

*shrug*

Try not to judge the bushel by a few bad eggs.  I actually found a lot of mature and friendly people when I was playing. 

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

If they set stealth up to work the way it does IRL it would eat up most of a server's resources. The amount of light, the attentiveness of who you're sneaking up on, the terrain you're working in, the weather, the clothing you're wearing, all of these things and more contribute to stealth. Invisibility is a quick way to set up as realistic a scenario as can be achieved in a game.

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Rivalen

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

Stealth is not invisibility though.

Somehow everyone dismisses this point.

Invisibility is just a really bad excuse for a mechanic.

It's not that we miss the point, it's that we understand there is no realistic way to replicate it in a game.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by Arnuphis

As to Rift not offering anything new, welcome to MMO's. Be prepared to be underwhelmed for the rest of your life. The only thing new in MMO's is a new game with new lore, new worlds, new twists on classes and new shit to kill. Rift has all of that.

Three faction pvp (daoc) was the best thing ever invented, I have no idea why developers ignore how awesome a three faction game is. 

Who cares what ppl say in chat channels in mmo's? Anybody who get's offended by something like that needs to get some perspective.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

You are a minority amongst minorityes...

Catch a rogue out of steath and he is as good as dead against a mage, each class has its goods and bads..thats why there are different classes with different playstyles to choose from.

• SaiyajinSaiyajin Member Posts: 16

Pff what a nub rogue ganker.It is unskilled ,best rogues use bows and they heal themsels ,this nub only atack from hide.The video should be named filthy little shit :D

IM hell