Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many people read the novel that made them want to play the game?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Just wondering if there are many people out there that read the novel - EVE - Empeyian Age (I think thats whats its called) before having actually played the game and by reading the novel CAUSED them to want to play the game?

I have attempted the trial a couple of times and just could not get into the game - but here I sit, REALLY wanting to play and get into it (I love Sci-fi and have great character concepts) but would just purchasing the full game outright be worth it? Also, I am thinking of reading the novel first, so I will have some background going into the game (there is just something off putting about the FONT on their website - sounds crazy I know - change the FONT get a subscriber!?!)

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Comments

• eveisbettereveisbetter Member Posts: 71

There are two novels and I have read them both.

The Empyrean Age and The Burning Life.   I personally enjoyed The Burning Life more than the first novel but they are both very good at getting the reader in tune with the world of EVE.

As for buying the game 'because' of the novels, I don't know anyone who has.   I have played EVE since 2004 and I only just found out about the novels last year (and bought them immediately once I heard of them).    If you enjoy Sci-fi, and you don't mind reading, I strongly suggest reading them both AND buying Eve Online.     The books don't help you learn the game imo, but they do give a clearer understanding of the atmosphere and time frame.    

If you do end up purchasing the full version of the game, you may want to read up on the website too.   Every bit of information helps.  There is a lot to learn, even just for the UI and the controls.  

Eve plays like a Windows operating system.   Everything is movable and scaleable, and anything you're unsure of, or would like to know more about, you can right-click on it to open a menu and select "show info" just like the "Properties" option in Windows.

The long time players (people who aren't just on Trial accounts) are very helpful if you ask questions.     Feel free to send me a message if you would like help in game.

• burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

Thankyou for the quick and informative reply, I will read the books, and will definitley look you up in game, I dont suppose your Corp is recruiting at the moment? <Hopeful grin>

Thanks again.

My in-game name is different than my forum name on this site. 

Send me a private message if you would like that info.  

Now, about my corp, we aren't necessarily recruiting nor are we not recruiting.  We are a smaller corp of IRL friends, and we aren't as active as the larger corps.  We play hardcore for maybe a couple days a week (if that) and then the rest of the time is very casual, so it may not be the best corporation for you to join to learn the ropes.  EVE University is a great corp to start with, or the Red vs Blue Alliance if you're interested in delving into the PVP side of things.

Either way, you just have to understand that Eve is a time investment.   The longer you play, the more you'll learn, and the better you'll be.  There's no levels to 'catch up' to, but there are skills to learn to open up the doors and give you options on how/where/what to play.    Anyone who says different never truely played the game, and if so, played it wrong.

I've got a buddy who started playing last May and is already as efficient at doing many things in the game as I am after playing for many years, simply because he "gets it".  Like all mmo's, you start at a low point and then progress, so expect to put in the time/work before you start feeling "epic" --   Many people who try Eve don't seem to understand that you don't just start out in a mothership, able to go out and blow everything up.       

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

lol its funny i just recently resubbed back to EvE and now i find myself re-reading some old sci-fi literature inbetween jumps also.. I honestly had no clue that EvE had novels, i might have to check that out.. I've just been reading Star Wars: New Jedi Order hah.. Good book :)

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

If you think the novels are great, try reading the short stories produced every month, very well written articales.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I can't say I read the books before playing, but they (Empyrean Age and Burning Life) made the game more interesting to play. When you are being attacked by different factions, getting missions, or a new ship, some of the memories of the novels can be plugged in. 

They are very good, I think I even did a little book review on here for one somewhere. I even had a non-gamer friend that likes Sci-fi read one and she liked it (forget which one).

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Aye, the short stories are pretty damn good too.

@Hellfyre -   I also read some of the Star Wars novels and I enjoyed them.   Unfortunately, I don't think the SWTOR game will come remotely close to the epic happenings in the books.    The stories had some brutality and some dark content and I just know Bioware doesn't plan on making the game that hardcore, because they'd have to market to a mature audience only and that just isn't going to get them the "gazillion" subs they 'think' they are going to get.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by eveisbetter

Aye, the short stories are pretty damn good too.

@Hellfyre -   I also read some of the Star Wars novels and I enjoyed them.   Unfortunately, I don't think the SWTOR game will come remotely close to the epic happenings in the books.    The stories had some brutality and some dark content and I just know Bioware doesn't plan on making the game that hardcore, because they'd have to market to a mature audience only and that just isn't going to get them the "gazillion" subs they 'think' they are going to get.

IDK KOTOR1 (the one made by bio ware) had some dark themes woven into it.. I ended up palying as a sith and towards the end i murdered my whole crew that i spent 40+ hours with in game and then even forced a wookie to kill its owner.. I ended up eventually becomeing The Dark Sith Lord; it was awsome.. KOTOR2 was made by Obsidian and the darkish theme was toned down a lot..

I have faith in Bio Ware.. Mass Effect was brilliant and i'd rate its plot over most novels i've read or movies seen.. Then again, after reading The New Jedi Order i can tell that not even the movies/games can touch on some of the stuff the novels can.. Puts a whole  new prespective on the Star Wars universe for me and i love it.. Thats what i hope i'll get once i read the EvE novels; or possibley the Mass Effect ones next.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta