Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide: Smedley on Release

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has given a general release date for PlanetSide Next, the sequel to PlanetSide. According to an interview at Eurogamer, Smedley is figuring on a late Q1 - early Q2 release for PlanetSide Next, the working title for the sequel.

The latter we know least about. "We've announced publicly that the game is in development," SOE president John Smeldey tells Eurogamer, "it's a game that's codenamed PlanetSide Next.

"And we haven't announced a release date for it but you can expect it... We're looking at late first-quarter, early second-quarter [2011]."

Source: Eurogamer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

So no screenshots? Is it going to be using the original engine? whole new game? or and expansion thats touted as a sequal? (Neocron 2 anyone?)

I loved planetside when it 1st came out but im not so sure about this one.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

will this be on the ps3?

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

Yes!!!!! Loved planetside, sadly it died a while ago i'm really thrilled to hear it's coming back as a new and improved version even!

The battles there were hugeeeeeeee and flying a bomber was just ownage while hacking other ppl's bases!

Can't wait! (This deserves frontpage news tbh)

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

I have serious doubts for many reasons...

Even loving the first Planetside to death, I'm very Very unsure about this so called sequel... After all we know absolutely nothing of it... Or it's development progress... And to be honest, with Smedley at the wheel I'm not sure I want to. :(

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

Smedley told The Escapist, "We have a very big launch coming in the month of March. It's a big first person shooter franchise that we're really happy with."

• tazmanyaktazmanyak Member UncommonPosts: 77

Agree @Shadin ... but i wait for PS:next so much ....

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

OMG, Smedley and SOE, what a deadly combo. No way I am getting anywhere near this game. I don't need to know anything else.

• I just want to know if BFR's are in the game or not?  If they are, im not. 

• MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178

Smed will be smart and have a 2 week open beta the same weeks as Rifts free 30 days run out.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Belaz
    I just want to know if BFR's are in the game or not?  If they are, im not. 

Depends on how balanced the vehicles would be.. the BFR equivelant in BF2142 for instance was fun to play, but wasn't overpowered and could be taken out by foot soldiers or other vehicles fairly easily..

The more vehicles and thus variety there is, the better, I think.. bring on the robots, the drop ships, the hover-tanks and choppers and bikes and the mobile spawn units and.. oh...

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Im not sure why its being called a "sequal" on this site.  From what I've read about this, it isnt a sequal but an overhaul of the existing game. 

• archer75archer75 Member UncommonPosts: 157

This isn't news, they've been saying that date for months now.

Tribes 2 is back!!!! http://www.tribesnext.com/
    And from the makers of tribes: Fallen Empire: Legions http://www.instantaction.com/

• WepsyWepsy Member Posts: 59

It will die a similar fate PlanetSide did.

PlanetSide & SWG. My first two loves in life and SOE came between us. Never again.

SW:TOR FTW image

"He's no good to me dead."

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

If it is this close to release, all they have done is spiff up the old game so don't look for a new graphics engine.  Considing Smedley is touting it, I would not expect much.

• nathanebhtnathanebht Member Posts: 34

No idea what to expect. I'm hoping its good but the release date is awful close.

• SarkadoSarkado Member UncommonPosts: 7

-The game gods have taken my soul, and I cant get it back.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I don't care what the new game is, as long as it isnt too far from PS1 I know I will love it.  If they just increased the draw distance in PS1, got rid of the hackers, and somehow got more people to play it I would be in heaven again.  I still think its graphics are pretty awesome despite its age, in fact.  Its the low pop, low draw distance, and hackers that bother me.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• SarkadoSarkado Member UncommonPosts: 7

Woops meant to type but misclicked ahaha. Smedly already said NO BFRS!

-The game gods have taken my soul, and I cant get it back.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Isn't the original planetside filled with hackers now? What are they doing to prevent the same thing from happening to this one?

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Originally posted by jusomdude

Isn't the original planetside filled with hackers now? What are they doing to prevent the same thing from happening to this one?

not letting smed's kids play. :P

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by jusomdude

Hopfuly having more than 1 part time GM. and an appeal system ingame along with (random) sanity checks....since sanity checking each packet would be an impossible task.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Apparently all the hacker's have 'stopped' since they cancelled the free trial, according to the official forum banter.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Im surprised by this..

I assumed the game was in early developement with a release in a year or two.

I guess they kept it under wraps for much longer than I realized.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by D_TOX
    Apparently all the hacker's have 'stopped' since they cancelled the free trial, according to the official forum banter.

saw no hackers yesterday.

also I expect planetside 2 to have no pve content, this would mean developing the game in 2 years is highly possible..really they dont have to do much...hopfuly afew code changes...some animations, map design...BAM! Planetside 2.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Never saw the big deal with BFR's..

I enjoyed blowing em up with my phoenix rocket launcher and getting huge xp for it.