Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG gets voted into the top 5 for MMO of the year

ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Incase you didn't see it on MMORPG.com's News section, SWG has been voted as the 5th best MMO to play last year :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4896/page/1

This isn't as decided by MMORPG.com, it's a result of members here voting for it.

Comments

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

4% of the vote and less than half the votes of Wizard101 (whatever the hell that is?!)

Success!

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Rofl SWG got 4% of the vote, and that shows how pathetic gaming was in 2010. 

I'm sorry op yea top 5 mmo, with 4% of the vote is nothing to gloat over.  That is still pretty much epic fail.

• Mr_DittersMr_Ditters Member Posts: 1

How is good old Chilastra doing these days Obraik?  Its been years since I played.

-Amil / Copronymus

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

And the members of mmorpg.com count for like barely 1% of the all the people out there who actualy play the games rather then troll on the forums all day. This has about as much value as toilet paper. Wait, toilet paper is worth more actualy.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

lol...haters are gonna hate ;)

Argure the % all you want, the other games on the list had equal chance to be voted for, yet they're below SWG.  SWG might have 4% of the votes but it's still 5th place, ahead of the majority of MMO's that have been release since SWG launched and went through the CU and NGE.  That's pretty good for a game that people here like to say no one likes, no one plays and is dying.  Apparaently, they're wrong ;)

Originally posted by Mr_Ditters

How is good old Chilastra doing these days Obraik?  Its been years since I played.

-Amil / Copronymus

Your name looks familliar :)

Chilastra is going well.  Due to our style of PvP and the reduction in transfer costs, Chilastra has become the 3rd most populate US server now.  Had around 5 hours of non-stop PvP yesterday, which was conveniant since I was oncall for work and couldn't leave the house...

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

No one plays.  They are too busy posting, pleading with the dev's to change their once beloved game back... years after it was turned into the mess that it is now.

I logged into the game 2-3 days a year for the last 2-3 years.  I saw all that I needed to see.  I realized that none of my friends played SWG any more.  And without them, the game hadn't evolved into anything solid enough to interest me into sticking around. 

I once had 5 SWG accounts... they will never be brought back again.

Over 100+ names in my friends list... and none of them play any more either.

We all stay in touch via various gaming communities.

We all still post about the good times we used to have while playing the game.  But none of us play it anymore... not since the NGE genocide.

I guess all of those Florida votes were finally calculated.  They didn't go for Bush.  They didn't go for Gore.  Invalid/partial punches = votes for sWG?

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I don't play it anymore, have not for some time. I think it's cool that people are still having fun on it. Really can't see why that should be a problem for anybody else.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

It's been awhile since I played this one, but I remember having a good time with it.  Grats to the people at SWG for the votes they recieved. 

Originally posted by BlackWatch

No one plays.  They are too busy posting, pleading with the dev's to change their once beloved game back... years after it was turned into the mess that it is now.

I logged into the game 2-3 days a year for the last 2-3 years.  I saw all that I needed to see.  I realized that none of my friends played SWG any more.  And without them, the game hadn't evolved into anything solid enough to interest me into sticking around. 

We all still post about the good times we used to have while playing the game.  But none of us play it anymore... not since the NGE genocide.

I guess all of those Florida votes were finally calculated.  They didn't go for Bush.  They didn't go for Gore.  Invalid/partial punches = votes for sWG?

Just because your "friends" aren't playing it doesn't mean no one is.  For all you know they could have moved servers or renamed their characters.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by Obraik

Argure the % all you want, the other games on the list had equal chance to be voted for, yet they're below SWG.  SWG might have 4% of the votes but it's still 5th place, ahead of the majority of MMO's that have been release since SWG launched and went through the CU and NGE.  That's pretty good for a game that people here like to say no one likes, no one plays and is dying.  Apparaently, they're wrong ;)

Way to look on the bright side Obraik!!

Sincerely I mean that. Who else could turn 4% into a home run!

Kudos ;)

Originally posted by Suvroc

Way to look on the bright side Obraik!!

Sincerely I mean that. Who else could turn 4% into a home run!

Kudos ;)

Still more than the majority of the MMO's ;)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

SWG is still a great game. The only thing that prevents me from playing it again is the fact that I know absolutely no one that plays it anymore. But, all of my friends said they would go back in a split second if it goes F2P with a model similar to Lotro.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

SWG is still a great game. The only thing that prevents me from playing it again is the fact that I know absolutely no one that plays it anymore. But, all of my friends said they would go back in a split second if it goes F2P with a model similar to Lotro.

The SWG community is pretty friendly; you'd make new friends :)

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

More awards, eh?  Go SWG.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Just because your "friends" aren't playing it doesn't mean no one is.  For all you know they could have moved servers or renamed their characters.

Blackwatch specifically said that he keeps in touch with his gaming friends, and they do not play SWG. As far as acquaintances go, maybe a few have moved or reneamed their characters, but the odds are the majority has moved on. He never said no-one played SWG, but the closed and dead/dying servers (Starsider being the exception) may easily give gamers that impression.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

What the heck is wizard101???

This isn't very impressive at all. Just look at the number of votes and the top games. I think other games on that list deserved it more than some of them.   I would have voted for one, but I didn't realize that this poll was taking place.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Originally posted by Kazara

Blackwatch specifically said that he keeps in touch with his gaming friends, and they do not play SWG. As far as acquaintances go, maybe a few have moved or reneamed their characters, but the odds are the majority has moved on. He never said no-one played SWG, but the closed and dead/dying servers (Starsider being the exception) may easily give gamers that impression.

Then, if his friends are an important factor for playing a game, I'm curious as to why he'd bother going back to the game if he already knew none of them were playing it. 

Starsider is overpopulated.  It's not the only server with a population, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac-N-beEYrg&feature=&p=09568D990C297B64&index=0&playnext=1

This game got double the votes SWG got.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Good for those that still play SWG. Personally i found it a personal insult that SoE decided to mule the game i loved and redo it into a shitty game that it is now. 

Well, last year was rather on the dry spot when it comes to mmo's i'd say. 

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Say what you want about SWG:NGE vs the original, it's still significantly better than most of the stuff that comes out these days, as far as openess and epic scope.. They just don't make MMO's like they did in those days anymore, do they? Now it's all effing single-player like themeparks and cooperatives that you finish within a week. Zzzz.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Incase you didn't see it on MMORPG.com's News section, SWG has been voted as the 5th best MMO to play last year :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/4896/page/1

This isn't as decided by MMORPG.com, it's a result of members here voting for it.

I may be wrong but something tells me that has as much to do with Star Wars as it does to do with CU,NGE,SWG,SOE.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I guess there's something to be said that it got twice the percentage of AoC and about 3 times the percentage of CoX, both of which had expansions, last year.

But I don't think that's so much a positive for SWG as it is a negative for them.  You'd think those games would still be on peoples' minds at this point.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Originally posted by Troneas

mod edit

I bet TOR is going to make SWG look good, despite it's semi-sandboxy NGE nature, in comparison lol

(semi-sandboxy, as in its sandbox with classes patched in, but still clearly retained many sandboxy features as well as epic size)

This poll was pushed on the SWG official forums:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=1171286

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=1160539

And still only managed 4% of the vote?

The first page of Obraik's plea on the Chilastra forums is a fun read, worth remembering those are the opinions of people currently playing the game :|

This discussion has been closed.