Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgraded to 6850 now annoying lag

sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

What do I do here?  The 9800GTX+ I upgraded from did not generate this kind of lag. I think it ran better, but 6850 is supposed to be a better card.  Is there something I may need to download? I just had this thing for maybe 2 weeks now.  I know if my 9800GTX+ didnt generate lag like this the 6850 should not, since it is the equivalent of a 460 and supposed to be 2 times better than my old card.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Comments

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

was kinda hoping for a response to this....

Anyone else have the 6850 that plays ff14 and how well does it run? DId you have to download any particular update for this card if so where can I find this?

• jnserenojnsereno Member UncommonPosts: 43

Did you unistall the old NVIDIA drivers?

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Sorry, I only use nVidia GPUs, so I can't help you with AMD...

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

If you have Win7 32bit download this:
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-32.aspx

If you have Win7 64bit download this:

About this download:
    -inlcudes the latest video driver for HD6850
    -includes the latest ATI Catalyst for setting up graphic settings (I reccomend balanced!)

Note: Without this AMD graphic cards are not usable ;)

Originally posted by jnsereno

Did you unistall the old NVIDIA drivers?

yea , im pretty sure I did.

Originally posted by thedarkess

If you have Win7 32bit download this:

If you have Win7 64bit download this:

About this download:

-inlcudes the latest video driver for HD6850

-includes the latest ATI Catalyst for setting up graphic settings (I reccomend balanced!)

Note: Without this AMD graphic cards are not usable ;)

I have vista 64 bit... Haven't had the time and money to buy win 7 yet when I have an OS that is working as intended.

Have you installed what I posted? Any better performance?
    Tell me your computer specifications.

I'll give you link for Vista then! moment

edit:

here's link for windows Vista and check it every month for latest updates!

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_vista-64.aspx

Originally posted by Khrymson

I can tell you one thing that the amd does do differently than the nvidia I had .. It runs ten times cooler. No overheating. It stays at 30 something c , and maybe goes up to 50 or so at the most.

That is one good thing about this upgrade that makes me glad I went with ATI this time.

Well I know one thing that will help greatly, especially when changing GPUs, is to use Driver Sweeper on your PC, and remove all the old fragments of drivers left over and then do a clean driver install of the GPU.  {only your video drivers}

Originally posted by sungodra

I can tell you one thing that the amd does do differently than the nvidia I had .. It runs ten times cooler. No overheating. It stays at 30 something c , and maybe goes up to 50 or so at the most.

That is one good thing about this upgrade that makes me glad I went with ATI this time.

Meh, the new 500 series of GPUs have the new Vapor Chamber Cooling and fan, my 570 idles at 31-32c at 40% fan speed, and I've gotten it down to 22c at 70%

Have you installed what I posted? Any better performance?

Tell me your computer specifications.

I'll give you link for Vista then! moment

Ok...

8 gb DRR2 Ram

940 BE  3ghz quad processor

m3a78-cm mobo

1000 watt kingwin psu

6850 ati single

vista 64 bit

I haven't used any driver sweeper.

Meh, the new 500 series of GPUs have the new Vapor Chamber Cooling and fan, my 570 idles at 31-32c at 40% fan speed, and I've gotten it down to 22c at 70%

Does it have a lifetime warranty? Mine has a double lifetime warranty :P

Anyways...  this is not a competition i'm just here for some answers.

In case you haven't seen my edited post.
    Download this for windows Vista 64bit. Use express install, and everything should be great. Your computer is good enough.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_vista-64.aspx

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

ATI cards in general have less support for this game sadly. I downloaded some custom drivers that helped with the fps actually.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

I already had that ccc thing 10.12... maybe I didn't install the bin 64, so I reinstalled it. Will try the game later to check.

If it doesn't help, make sure your power supply is strong enough for your HD6850, or try optimal performance setting in CCC. Test your card in other games, if it good there, then FFXIV doesn't support HD6850.

edit: also try defragmenting your hard disk.

Does it have a lifetime warranty? Mine has a double lifetime warranty :P

Anyways...  this is not a competition i'm just here for some answers.

Of course it has a lifetime warranty, EVGA are the best GPU company, and if you look above, was it not you that instigated a competition by claiming your AMD was cooler...sheesh!  I don't care what GPU brand you like better, was just responding that I didn't know how best to help you....besides the driver sweeper.

Of course it has a lifetime warranty, EVGA are the best GPU company, and if you look above, was it not you that instigated a competition by claiming your AMD was cooler...sheesh!  I don't care what GPU brand you like better, was just responding that I didn't know how best to help you....besides the driver sweeper.

jeez I was joking around with you.  And when I said it was not a competition I was saying so because It was turning competitive.  I thought the ":P"  may have indicated it was a joke, but I guess not.

If it doesn't help, make sure your power supply is strong enough for your HD6850, or try optimal performance setting in CCC. Test your card in other games, if it good there, then FFXIV doesn't support HD6850.

edit: also try defragmenting your hard disk.

a 1000 wattt psu is def strong enough for a single 6850, probably be strong enough for 3 of them.

I'm gonna try the driver sweeper thing, I am kind of thinking maybe I did not do a good job of clearing the drivers myself.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I'd almost always say the problem is remnants of old drivers, especially when switching brands.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

Well I used driver sweeper to remove any thing nvidia and that hasn't helped, but whatever, probably a problem with this particular game, because the card plays rift just fine.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

hmm, did you reconfig FFXIVConfig?

Don't know what to tell ya, cept you aren't missing much =P

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

Originally posted by terroni

hmm, did you reconfig FFXIVConfig?

Don't know what to tell ya, cept you aren't missing much =P

Yes, I did screw up the configure somehow... I tried to resize my game to fit my screen  I have one of those wide screen

1068X1050 monitors, but for some reason it wont work like that with ff14 I have to find a lower resolution.

Not sure if this has much to do with it, but I doubt it...

The lag is not so bad that the game is unplayable, just rather annoying since I didnt have it with my previous gpu.

• kd5ywakd5ywa Member UncommonPosts: 29

Make sure you're not running WMP/Youtube type applications/web pages while you play FFXIV.  Whenever I forget to do this on my 6950 my fps goes down by 30ish (2560x1600).