Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The TRUTH about Guild Wars

13»

Comments

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

What? The trial was not enough for you? Feel sad for you :(...

If you want to play it - BUY IT!

• halogambhalogamb Member Posts: 1

There's a reason why it's B2P....

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by halogamb

There's a reason why it's B2P....

What's the reason?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I bought GW and had loads of fun.  GW2 is also my most anticipated Buy-2-Play game coming out this year.

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by Zetsumetsu

I was new to GW and had decided to try out the "Trial" version. Granted it's a trial and I shouldn't expect much.... However when I start playing it automatically gave me an expiration date which was around December 26th of 2010. Instead of enjoying my trial version I was given total of 9 hours of play time. After the 9 hours is up... It was game over in spite of it not being on the expired date. The last hour of gaming time was NOT fun because I was forcfully in a rush to do the quests and etc.

NCSoft should give us a FREE unlimited version of this game. Even know it's $19.95 it still should be free.

I know, right.

I mean really...not only that, but I test drove a Toyota Tundra the other day...and they had me bring it back after about an hour or so.  Toyota should give me a free unlimited test drive.  Why should I have to pay for it?

Seriously dude.  If, after 9 hours, you haven't figured out if you like it enough to buy it...quit.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

People are ignorant.

In all these "persistant" world mmos, they just grind isntances for gear. Why they want persistant world then?

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by BizkitNL

I find GW being F2P a misconception. 50 bucks is hardly free.

"sub-free" would be more appropriate.

Guild wars is free 2 play. the meaning is fitting of the word. Free to "play" not free to "own". you can easily pay the $50ish dollars to buy the game and let it sit on your shelf. sure you own it but dont play it. But to play it there is no cost. If i want to play aion i have to pay $15 first.

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by MMO_REVIEWER

Originally posted by BizkitNL
    I find GW being F2P a misconception. 50 bucks is hardly free.
    "sub-free" would be more appropriate.
    Guild wars is free 2 play. the meaning is fitting of the word. Free to "play" not free to "own". you can easily pay the $50ish dollars to buy the game and let it sit on your shelf. sure you own it but dont play it. But to play it there is no cost. If i want to play aion i have to pay $15 first.

ummmm, you have to pay x amount of dollars to even create a guild wars account to log onto the servers. Unless you can tell me where I can download the client and create a new account without paying a single cent. Then the game is B2P not F2P

BOOYAKA!

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

For me guild wars never matched up to p2p games or even f2p games because it focused to much on sinks. Cash sinks in getting your armor. It never dropped you had to build it. Time sinks in working faction to buy said armor or do some quests. Sure some p2p games do that but it makes more sense there. Why because I'm just questing in a normal world, the whole freakin planet isn't about to end if I don't do this quest like in GW. More over in F2P and p2p games I can usually buy bags and such to tuck into the bank for more space, or more bank space with in game money. You can do that to a point in GW but after that point your pulling out your wallet. GW in the end felt more like a time sink I was having to pay for extra stuff in. It's an okay mmo but it's not the mesiah.

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by Ragnaven

For me guild wars never matched up to p2p games or even f2p games because it focused to much on sinks. Cash sinks in getting your armor. It never dropped you had to build it. Time sinks in working faction to buy said armor or do some quests. Sure some p2p games do that but it makes more sense there. Why because I'm just questing in a normal world, the whole freakin planet isn't about to end if I don't do this quest like in GW. More over in F2P and p2p games I can usually buy bags and such to tuck into the bank for more space, or more bank space with in game money. You can do that to a point in GW but after that point your pulling out your wallet. GW in the end felt more like a time sink I was having to pay for extra stuff in. It's an okay mmo but it's not the mesiah.

WTF are you talking about? Armor is cheap and easy to obtain, max level armor can be easily obtained with the money you get from quests and selling junk drops, and the vendor is always there in town (meaning you don't have to grind a crafting skill or a certain mob/dungeon hoping for a rare armor drop). The ONLY time you have to work to earn the favor of a faction to buy armor is if you want Kurzick or Luxon armor, which is exactly the same as any other armor out there, and you don't even need to grind to any particular level of faction either. The only requirement is that you have more kurzick faction than luxon faction when you try to talk to a kurzick vendor....so, spend all your luxon faction, then earn 5 kurzick points, and boom, you can buy the armor. Oh, sure, you can faction farm if you want, it makes getting the materials for those armor easier...or you could just buy the materials from the trader, or from other players. 

Storage space is a legitimate issue for a lot of people...but then again, you don't have to haul around crap for your gathering/crafting/smithing/fishing/whateverthehell professions, like you do in most other MMOs. If you're running out of space, you're holding on to too much crap. Storage space is also the only thing you can point to in the in-game store that enhances your game (compared to, say, costumes, which are completely optional aesthetic upgrades). Oh, and F2P games make you buy storage space too, and you get a lot less for free than you do with GW.