Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Game of the Year

Comments

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I'd have to agree that EvE deserves this game of the year title and imho is the best MMORPG out there right now, peroid.. I usually only play EvE 2-3months at a time until i take a break, but its the one MMO i've always been able to depend on for a good time.. Not to mention how complex it is, how unique it is, the community, CCP, ect.. It just has so much going for it..

Jan 18th is the patch for the new character creator and the incursions.. Sometime next year i'am assumeing we'll see incarna.. I think no matter what happens in 2011 if all titles end up failing as they did this year (SWTOR, Rift, Tera, GW2, Earthrise, ect) i'll always know ill have EvE to play.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• AernisimmAernisimm Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by wow.pwns111

EVE is the most boring MMO on the market.

Why is it popular? Because every site on the interenet is spammed with "Play eve for 14 days FREE!!" Banners and in theory it's an awesome game. "Go where you want, do what you want. Level up while offline!!" Sounds awesome right? Well much like communism the difference between being awesome in theory and being awesome in practic are 2 completely different things.

This site is a haven for EVE fanbois so it should be no surprise that it won.. again. If this were any other gaming site WOW would have won, you know it, I know it.

The fact that EVE won again should show the credibility of the reviews and 'top games' features of this site.

That is your opinion and you are definitely entitled to it.

To me, EVE is the most enjoyable MMO on the market by far.  WoW is one of the most boring.

The reality of EVE is that it is a very enjoyable game where the player creates the fun the way they want to.  If you only have an hour here and there to play - you can play EVE and maximize your enjoyment.  If you have hours upon hours to play then you can become embroiled in the politics, the fights, and the battles over control.  Some of these fleet battles have over a thousand participants.

I can't think of any other MMO that can have over 1000 people fighting in the same region / screen.  Now, there is some lag at that population of player, but the fights are playable... albiet slowly.  Smaller fights of around 500 have recently been without noticeable lag. 

As an aside, I don't think communism as a theory is awesome.  And the reality of it was much worse.

EVE, in theory, can be extremely boring or extremely interesting.  In reality, it plays out the same way.  If you want the game to be really fun then you can go about doing just that.  If you need to be guided through everything and be hand held all the itme then EVE probably will leave you wanting - it doesn't provide a series of quests.  But, if you don't care about any of that and just want to have fun with internet spaceships then EVE is pure win.

Log in, kill stuff (or players) and log out.  Don't worry about anything else if you don't want to.  It's great and deserves to have won.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

Well done EVE. WoW fanboys ragetears are delicious.

• testmylucktestmyluck Member Posts: 91

Guild Wars being the only thing in this list that might have remotely deserved this award, and it's technically not even an MMO.

• ZeroBoogieZeroBoogie Member Posts: 17

Great works to you all and congratulations again for the honors 2 years in a row CCP, you deserve it more then any other MMO and more then WoW :P

I'm glad and honor to be one of your player and fan, i can't wait to see what you got for us in the years to come.

Sackboy23

It's My Way Or The Highway...

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56

Originally posted by InvaderGUI

Oh Boy! The game that takes the least amount of effort to play won.  People complain how MMOs are being dumbed down  and yet the game that most playing happens offline takes first. Lol very sad indeed.

Now that is a sign you either never played Eve Online or are just trolling if you think Eve doesn't take any effort. I've played most of the entries in the top 10 there and the things that keep me working hard in Eve are that my competitors are people not crappy ai's. They adapt, react unpredictably and are always pushing themselves to improve or win. Whether its in a 1v1 interceptor fight or a fleet battle or even a market manipulation. It always comes down to trying to out predictand beat your opponent. If you want easy pick any of the games where your primary opponents are NPC's and that may be one factor why eve seems to always be evolving and won again this year.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Don't think it is GotY, but then people just voted for what they play, kudos to the EvE players.

• kcannonkcannon Member UncommonPosts: 29

Eve has been a great game to play for the last 2 years for me. I played wow and got bored after 4 months. I have a guild wars with all games and will go back to it every now and again. And im looking forward to GW2 but I still feel eve deserves this award. Yes it got a low population count but thats just stops alot of the little kids playing it and whining over every little thing.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

This is the most accurate poll i've seen on anything ever...

kidding...

sort of

not really

well maby alittle

ok all was lies image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Bluefix

Imho Eve have had a fairly poor year and only started to get back on track during the end of the year. In particular plantary interaction is plain awful and despite coming improvements, I dont see this feature ever reaching its potential. 

None the less I agree that it is still the best game, but they need to do better than 2010 if they wish to keep that position. And with 2011 being the year that they'll likely start with microtransactions; I have my doubts.

Still, Eve is among VERY few MMOs that extended its gameplay adding totally new features. And for free as well. If you think about it, most games just add more land, dungeons, quests, and perhaps a new race/class (that works pretty much like another existing one). When did any other game at least attempt to add a whole new complex resource system (totally different from what was already there)?

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Another rush of  EVE players on MMORPG forums ? Another statistical lie, don't get me wrong I am not a fan of any of these games, that's just a note for you. 

• RAMchekRAMchek Member Posts: 1

Go on admit it sunshine, your only 12 and play WOW because you have neither the maturity nor mental faculties to play a game as cerebral as EvE.  All the posts here whining about EvE are quite frankly pathetic.  EvE is a game that requires skill and rewards patience, it's not for lightweights.  I see similar whiners in local and corp chat channels, berating the game for it's sandbox structure because they lack any real imagination.  EvE is the only game where your actions have far reaching implications within it's universe.  Credit to CCP for creating such a persistent learning experience.

Sod off all you muppet whiners...Go play with your elves and fairies.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Congrats to EVE, a good game, i am a player of both WoW and EvE, and i love both, but i'd never imagine the day EvE would win in polls against WoW, despite the Cataclysm

So What Now?

• ArrowfodderArrowfodder Member UncommonPosts: 14

i play EVE and i didn't vote for it

• RegnevanzRegnevanz Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by TweFoju

Congrats to EVE, a good game, i am a player of both WoW and EvE, and i love both, but i'd never imagine the day EvE would win in polls against WoW, despite the Cataclysm

No surprise both games use a GUI to interact with a database.. and they are essentially the same game pvp wise - if my stuff is better than your stuff and I push my buttons in the better and faster order I win at pvp.

That said - congrats to Spreadsheet Online.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by RAMchek

Go on admit it sunshine, your only 12 and play WOW because you have neither the maturity nor mental faculties to play a game as cerebral as EvE.  All the posts here whining about EvE are quite frankly pathetic.  EvE is a game that requires skill and rewards patience, it's not for lightweights.  I see similar whiners in local and corp chat channels, berating the game for it's sandbox structure because they lack any real imagination.  EvE is the only game where your actions have far reaching implications within it's universe.  Credit to CCP for creating such a persistent learning experience.

Sod off all you muppet whiners...Go play with your elves and fairies.

You would think if you are a fan of the game, you would want everyone to play it so CCP can grow and create something even better! 

If anyone posting here are afraid of the 'difficulty' of EVE, check out EVE-University.

http://www.eveuniversity.org/

A very nice (I will say they are the 'UN-official trainers') group of people that does EVE 101 lessons. :D

Forgot to add that they are free to join and free to leave at any point. All ships/equipment will be provided for all the lesson as well. (their donation network is probably the largest network in the game).

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• PunkrePunkre Member Posts: 92

Im surprised WoW players come to this site that much. I mean the only things people seem to universally state on this site is:

A.) How much if WoW died or never existed the MMO community would be better as a whole, and B.) the Dreaded NGA topic of SWG that is brought up every 4th post regardlessof it having to do with the topic they posted on.

Eve really doesn't seem like that fun of a game, ive been told it ends up playing like "Microsoft Excel the game."

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107

All it really shows is that this site's readership (unsurprisingly) voted for the least fun, least interesting and least inspiring MMO on the market. 

Which, again, doesn't surprise me, because WoW is responsible for everything bad in the MMO genre, amirite?

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Ok, it's time to back away from the PC folks. It's not like mmorpg.com (the writers) voted for EvE. It's a player voted poll, it doesn't mean anything, stop getting so upset. Get over it! The community has spoken, EVE is just better and we would know because we're the minority...wait.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by Dril

All it really shows is that this site's readership (unsurprisingly) voted for the least fun, least interesting and least inspiring MMO on the market. 

Which, again, doesn't surprise me, because WoW is responsible for everything bad in the MMO genre, amirite?

No it doesn't say that at all. When a game from 2003 is still winning this award, not only is that a commentary on how great it really is, but it speaks volumes about the quality of the rest of the competition.

WoW isn't responsible for everything bad in the genre, come on, put your head up. The issue lies with the sea of studios that are somehow still under the impression that if they make a WoW-like game, that they can steal a chunk of Blizzard's pie. 

WoW is not to blame in all of this. It's the incessant attempts at mimicry that have sullied up the genre. You'd think they'd get it after awhile, wouldn't you?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Nice to see SWG, a 7 year old MMO,  in the top 5 :)   Something SOE should take notice of, tbh...

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by KyBo

LMAO! 

It's hilarious that the game which induces the most heated debate any time it's even mentioned, and has so many sad-@$$ ex-players who can't resist crawling out from under their bridge to e-rage and spew their 5 year-old vitriol about being slighted, still made the top five.  It's even more amusing that other that four of the top five games are older than than nearly all of the 15 that they beat out. 

I find that fact somewhat comforting, because it says something about the direction the genre's gone in since then, and that those of us who still prefer the so-called "old-school" approach to MMOs aren't merely seeing through "rose-tinted glasses". There was  and still is a higher overall quality to those games.

Newer and shinier games are certainly winning over people in the short term with flashier graphics, rewards galore, "race to the finish line" progress and enough hand-holding to where they almost play themselves. But MMOs developed back before the genre became "mainstream" still out-class them, in many ways.

It's also telling that people who started with those older MMOs are still playing and enjoying them to this day, years later. Meanwhile you can measure the time many people spend with newer MMOs on one hand, in months. Newer MMOs aren't designed for long-term enjoyment like older ones were. They're now disposable entertainment that people are ready to move on from as soon as the next newer and shinier MMO comes along.

I believe Les Claypool said it best: "The flame that burns twice as bright burns only half as long".

Just my opinion of course.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

So, the first place goes to a title. I refuse to call EvE a "game" since it lacks any gamePLAY - except for counting jumps while watching your ship on endless travels.

WoW caught a lucky #2. Lucky in terms of releasing the shameless Activision-ripoff aka Copynpasteclysm late last year. By the end of this year people will think twice to vote it GOTY again.

I guess Lotro would have fought around the 2% too -guess the F2P move kept it floating.

And WTF is going on on 4th place? I don't mean that Wiz101 is a bad game (uhm..) -but where is AoC? WAR? Aion? All the supposed to be big titles of the companies who went out to save the gaming world? Shame on those, even being left behind by SWG.

Not long ago we would have predicted to see a race between titles like TR, Fallen Earth, TCOS and such for the top 5 of 2010. This poll is a grotesque spitting image of some unable big mouth companies that woke up with empty pockets (= 1.x% of 100 players left to vote for them), face down in the mud after celebrating itself too much the years before. All that waste of bandwith crawling below the 2% (!!) mark should be shut down for good already.

Oh boy, I only hope we will see a real battle of the upcoming games end of 2011.

• ArcaSpiffArcaSpiff Member UncommonPosts: 99

meh