Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Notice Board

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

One of the MO players, Flintwick, has been working on a notice board for the game, which can be found here:

http://mortalnoticeboard.dyndns.org/index.php

Here is the thread that explains it on the official forum:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/57007-mortal-notice-board.html#post1077580

It's still pretty new, and he's still developing it, but it really is shaping up to be a great resource for the game's community.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Sorry. I just have a different opinion.  All of these "resources" are only required because of the exceptionally limited forms of communication in the game.  Thus, instead of promoting immerision it encourages players to find ways to work around those limitations.  Thus the use of IRC, the IRC trade channel, the playermade political map system and now this.

Anytime a game drives you OUTSIDE of the game to accomplish basic functions like communication... well I think that points to a flaw in the game.

Kudos to the guy however for taking the effort to try and fill a hole.  Posting on the board is probably a much more productive way to selling items then standing in town /yelling ARMORSMITH LOOKING FOR WORK!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I am kind of back and forth on this. . yes it is great.  But it does just mean that players have to go outside of the game more. . the same as they do for the lore. . or the candles on the web page to figure out the PvE in the game (epic creatures etc).  This stuff has to happen in game as soon as possible.

Flint is great though and what he has done is great. 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• shogunoneshogunone Member Posts: 85

I agree with everyone on here.  Another reason I am letting my sub run out.  I hate the limited to no tools in the game and SV using the "well it is a sanbox" as an excuse.  The player made political map is one of the biggest jokes.  I mean SV can not be bothered to even have a political map updated on the website being updated by what guild owns what broken keep in what broken territory controlled land???

You also forgot the players are the ones that tell you if the game is up or down.  They do not even have that on the loader it is a forum post called "game status".  What is this 1995????  You can't even have a green or red light on the patcher to tell you the game's status????

I do agree with giving the players props on doing things for themselves, but we as customers do not pay premium MMO prices to make the game for them. 

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

I agree with the above, fan sites based around a game makes that game bad.

• shogunoneshogunone Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by funkmastaD

That is not even the point anyone is trying to make here.  Why don't you listen to the person I saw you list in another thread as a good person whom people should listen to.  Aethaeryn.  The game lacks tools of everykind so people have to go outside of the game to make them. 

I was like you once funk but the hope and dreams only go so far one day you have to wake up. 

Originally posted by shogunone

That is not even the point anyone is trying to make here.  Why don't you listen to the person I saw you list in another thread as a good person whom people should listen to.  Aethaeryn.  The game lacks tools of everykind so people have to go outside of the game to make them. 

I was like you once funk but the hope and dreams only go so far one day you have to wake up. 

Not 100% sure I know what you're talking about with aethaeryn.  I know the poster, I don't remember personally vouching for him.

I'm not new to the game, I've been playing off and on since the first days of open beta.  I think the problem is,  you pin hopes and dreams on a video game.  I knew what I was getting into, and I know what a game is.  It's a game.  The emotional investment required to be either delusional or furious is better spent on something that isn't a friggin' video game.

Though if I were OP I'd regret posting the link here, god knows what kind of rage is gonna find it's way to that  fan site now.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I don't think anyone said that.

The point people were making is that community sites are great. . but they should not fill a hole that the game creates.  Having both is wonderful.  The only way for someone to find out some key things about MO is to go to the forum or a wiki site etc.  No one was saying the site was bad or that the site made the game bad (which I understand was sarcasm)

The game badly needs to have the lore represented somehow in game.  I know SV are working on this and have added a few things but the pace is killing me.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I don't think anyone said that.

The point people were making is that community sites are great. . but they should not fill a hole that the game creates.  Having both is wonderful.  The only way for someone to find out some key things about MO is to go to the forum or a wiki site etc.  No one was saying the site was bad or that the site made the game bad (which I understand was sarcasm)

The game badly needs to have the lore represented somehow in game.  I know SV are working on this and have added a few things but the pace is killing me.  

All I'm saying is,  most games have fan sites with features that the game itself doesn't have.  My mind jumps to EVE-Central, though I'm sure every game has dozens.   I'm only worried when any given game doesn't have sites like this.

Of course I'd like to see more stuff like this in-game, just like I'd like to see more of EVE-Central's features in EVE, but that doesn't make either game lacking, it just means someone added something cool to the community.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

The functionality that EVE-Central offers (trading/selling/market prices etc) are all available within the game world of EVE. There is no need to do any of it outside of the game world and the games tools. EVE-Central even states all it's information is auto-gathered from the ingame market displays. It is simply a sorting/search engine.

MO has zero tools for trading (trading was actually my main interest ingame) beyond standing in a town shouting for customers. I could use the incredibly buggy house vendor system with all it's problems and limitations, but how do people know where my shop is ingame? Back to standing around shouting in town.

Comparing the optional EVE-Central to the REQUIREMENT of using out of game tools in MO is comparing apples and unicycles.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Originally posted by Betel

Comparing the optional EVE-Central to the REQUIREMENT of using out of game tools in MO is comparing apples and unicycles.

Everytime someone tries to compare MO to EvE it makes me chuckle.   Here we are comparing a game that has ZERO economy.  You literally have to stand on a street corner and shout out at passersby "Want to buy a sword?".   Then comparing that to a game with one of (if not THE) greatest economies in an MMO...

Yes.. this guy did a good thing by giving basic trading functionality to the players of MO via his Notice Board.  The problem of course is that it's not actually part of the game...

EDIT: Just read that EvE online won the "Game of the Year" award... while MO was nominated for "Biggest Disappointment"  so PLEASE can we stop trying to compare the two in any way shape or form?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018