Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first impression playing TERA Open Beta

Comments

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

i doubt Goggy's even played the game. He hates the quests yet somehow likes them when they're in WoW?  Doesn't make sense. Also it seems he's giving us a review of some very low level mobs that no one cares about..

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

As someone already pointed out grinding per se is not an issue it is only if it is poorly disguised and what is more the goal is unattractive that it becomes a chore. I give you several instances of grinding which I have done gladly and felt nary the wiser.

A) In Everquest 2 you could get these super cool weapons that you can display in your house but to do so you have to compile lore that you gathered from a book. Some of these books were hard to get to as there were in some dungeon or another and I diligently joined groups to get them,in fact and I sheepishly admit this that I only  joined the group to get them . After that I spent sometimes three days grinding the mobs killing them in areas over and over until the limbs dropped. Yes I knew I was grinding but the goal was so worthwhile to me at least that the grind was insignificant and I often levelled off these.

B) In Vanguard I needed to get my level up in crafting to enable me to make some fabulous boats and build my own home. I spend literally days on end gathering and raising my craft and this was a type of grind that went by while I chatted on the craft channel which was heaven sent since it composed of interesting and well mannered folk all talking about everything and anything. One of my best times in chat were in this game. Again the grinding was painless and I never even noticed it.

C) I enjoyed the battlegrounds in WoW especially Arathi Basin and Warsong Gulch yes the lower level ones and I would spend hours in there collecting tokens and I raised my title .They had a decaying system then when I played vanilla WoW and you had to grind to keep it up but because I loved those games and enjoyed my class so much my shaman and druid especially I never even gave it a thought let alone felt the grind.

I could give a few more examples but they boil down to one common fact you must not be bothered about the grind because you are either having fun or the goal is worth it. That is the trick at the end of the day.

Chamber of Chains
  • drew_afxdrew_afx Member Posts: 4

Hi guys

I'm a Korean TERA player who just happened to come across this thread while searching for

US TERA open beta. As I was reading the review and several others' replies

I thought that the language barrier seemed to do more than I have imagined.

The initial combat experience is just as the reviewer described, but you guys are missing out

a lot on other stuffs like items, enhancement crystals, party systems, how mobs are different

in their AI pattern matching their appearances, skill enhancements(not your ordinary passive

skill), customizable keys, pandora's box(gamble), condition system and buff notes, different

character animation for each race, blacksmithing, open field cave(no boss though),

swimming to get to the secret enemy base, Mayan like temple with maze,

town center teleport to discovered fields and dungeons, extration system, and many more.

I have to say, about the quests, many people argue over "grinding" but let me tell you this.

You don't have to do all quests. There will be two different types: mission and field quests

The red one, mission quest, is the one you must do in order to go on to the next one.

The yellow one, field quest, is given from base camp npcs, which is totally up to you.

Fortunately, I've seen people leveling up with no problem just doing the mission quests

and ignoring others.

I mean the top ranker just made lv.38(max lv in OB right now) in three days.

This means even casual players playing 1 hr/weekday and 3 hrs/weekend will have no problem

reaching major content in one month. Considering most pc-dvd titles are beaten within 10 hrs,

this is a lot of content with almost no grinding(I'm talking spending 30 minutes or more for one

yellow quest). I've been so captivated by the combat that I simply didn't care about what items

I wore or wonder when I would level up until I hit lv31. The exp bar was barely noticeable and

the shiny level up effect hid the bar clearing up, but I never bothered to press P and look for the

exp points. The yellow quests just guide you which mob you should play with at your level

because reward is mostly exp and few golds. I don't need them when I can level up with mission

quests alone, so I would say no need to stress about getting bored easily. The mission quests

are filled with surprises. The plot is actually interesting and cut scenes do give you a sense of

accomplishment as well as hero storyline in case you didn't read the plot while talking to npcs.

Although you can't make your own plot by choosing different path, the goal is simple, so

make your character a hero, not a peasant. What I mean by this is you have to learn how to

control the character to make it good. No good items nor money will give you immunity from

death when the party depends on you.

Skilled players vs non skilled players make world of difference in boss raiding.

Not only TERA use non target system, it makes you to focus on what your move will be depending

on your character's skill cool time status, mp remaining, hp monitoring, distance apart from

the target, other players' status, and the mob movement. Unlike TPS or shooting games,

point and shoot will never cut it.

A party usually consists of a tanker, a healer, and dealers(Korean people use these terms).

Each class has a specific role, such as tanker keeping aggro to himself, dealers minimize

taking damage while still dealing enough attack skills, healer

moving around making sure not to aggro other surrounding mobs while healing only when

necessary. This sounds all too familiar of typical boss raiding, but what my experience tells

me is that good party always work in one unit and TERA is the one that brings the difference

because the classes are very specialized for their own purposes.

For example, there are two tankers, two healers, and four dealer types in TERA. But there 

are only max 5 people allowed in a party.

This gives a handful of combinations.

A party made up of elite skilled players: tanker(preferably warrior), 4 dealers(which dealer type

depends on the boss)

A party made up of skilled players: tanker, 3 dealers, one assist healer

A party made up of average players: tanker, healer, and maybe another assist tanker and

healer and one dealer

A party made up of newbies: non-existent (I mean real newbies who are almost falling

asleep while playing to ones that don't bother to dodge any attack)

A party either works, or doesn't work. Efficiency depend on each player's skill in TERA.

As you all know, no potion is used in TERA unless you are desperate since potions(not

even the gradually restoring HP over time) are only earned through very few yellow quests

and my experience through lv.34 gave me only about 14 HP instant potion and 20 MP instant

potion. Mobs sometimes drop hp balls which heal about 30% of your HP when picked up,

but not applicable in long boss fights. Players soon learn that getting hit once is very serious

and want to avoid that as much as possible whether it's 1:1 in open field or in instant

dungeon where boss can kill weak armored classes in couple hits.

Now I'm writing these to let you guys understand the difference. When you know you can

die from one or two mistakes, everyone is focusing to disable the boss and protect the party.

Even Lancer, which is an extreme case of specialized tanker, can take serious damage

if failed to guard the boss's fury attack. I've seen a lot cases where a Lancer tried to attack

boss at a time when he should've blocked, the boss downs tanker, underlings attack,

healer trying to heal, takes aggro, one hit, healer dies, tanker dies, dealer runs but dies,

and party is over. If you've seen these in other games, you might freak out 

"OMG that is ****ing hard It's impossible!" In TERA, once Lancer blocks an attack, any attack,

as long as the single damage is lower than the specified number in the weapon/shield

specs, he takes zero damage. To avoid abuse, the block skill has one second cool time,

which means the tanker can cancel what he's doing instantly and block, but can't reblock 

quickly once the shield is down. There is another type of tanker, the warrior. Unlike the name

suggests, it wields dual sword, fastest attack speed, but has an agro skill, along with typical

assassin poison and various attack skills and dodge skill instead of block.

One worthy note for warrior is at sufficient level(around 20s), warrior can make its shadow

clone which has 2.5 multiple of total HP by wasting half from total HP and let it take all the

aggro he had for a minute. Greatly useful when healer needs time.

Visually very satisfying combat like hack n slash, but not enough to make it into dealer's club.

The point is this type of tanker requires much more personal skill than Lancer because of

weak armor with fast movement speed and dodge skill. While Lancer can block, it can't do

any damage. Warrior is for tanker type who enjoys the boss's attention as well as keeping

his fingers busy. I'm not saying that Lancer is easy. Since there is no dodging, if you fail to

measure the right distance, boss can just reap through your invincible shield and take

most of your hp at any moment.

On to the healers section. Priest has the most if not all healing skills for a party. Its job

is simple: keep the party alive.

From Korean TERA official website, priest is the class that requires most player skill

with 5 stars difficulty. I believe this is true since healing requires accurate tracking

(lock on) of players all over the place. Also TERA has ridiculous

aggro assigned to healers once they cast few healing skills. Powerful healing twice

is enough to turn boss away from tanker and if it was bad timing, healer won't be able

to dodge and may be left with little HP in one blow. There is one skill that clears

that aggro with casting time of insane 2 seconds with cool time of 5 minutes at lv.36,

which I doubt will be very useful in real danger. Anyhow, priest is the only one who

can use multiple healing skills over large area, so this is extreme case of healer.

The assistant healer, Mystic, is an interesting one. It can summon pets, but they

are bothersome and never useful in a party. What's more important is Mystic can

make HP and MP restoring "balls" one at a time upto 30. It can be placed on

ground anywhere Mystic can go. When used effectively, the balls can act as a potion

during boss fight with no cool time in between although HP ball is not instant. Also,

Mystic has powerful dodge skill, teleport. It literally teleports through any mobs or

obstacles and towards the pointed direction at a certain distance. As a healer who

takes a lot of aggro, this kind of dodging is very safe since boss's attack covers

fairly large area and neither slayer's nor warrior's dodging skill roll over far enough to

surely avoid the attack. Although Mystic can't heal group at a time, I've had good

experience with party including Mystic since in a boss fight, everyone taking damage

at the same time is uncommon since long range dealers are far away from tanker

and dodging skill gives 100% immunity when rolling(although pretty short time)

Now the hot topic of the Korean forums, four dealers: Slayer, Berserker, Archer, and Sorcerer.

As a lv.34 Slayer, I might be biased a bit towards Slayer, but honestly, it is more fun than

Warrior when compared with other ppl's opinions about Warrior. After lv.25, Slayer deals

serious damage in style and beautiful combos (with one decent long range skill!)

If you are used to slow attacks like one normal blow per sec, I'm sure you'll like it. If you're

used to Warrior's dual sword dancing, it'll take some time getting used to because Slayer

and Warrior have opposite roles in other games.

fast dual sword with critical damage = damage dealer right? not in TERA

you will be utterly disappointed by the fact that one blow of Slayer is about the same as 5

of Warrior and if you count the skills and damage per second, Slayer finishes much quicker

although it only strikes about once in every second. And Slayer is considered the lowest

damage dealer of all four dealers, so.....you get the idea

What's good for Slayer is that the damage per skill may be lower, but the skill succession

time is actually just like the normal attack succession time = 1sec per attack.

no charging time needed, 50% chance cool-time reset on the finish skill really brings Slayer to

the next level. The real benefit of close range dealer is the ability to down or stun the boss

alongside Lancer's shield stun skill. There are times when boss goes crazy at the end

when things get unorganized and a bit shaky. Two close range dealers stunning along

with Lancer's shield stun, you get more than 5 seconds of uninterrupted focus fire timing.

Of course this needs to be executed perfectly with barely overlapping in between,

but the party co-op brings the excitement and fun in TERA's boss raiding.

Slayer also has dodge skill which has cool time of 4 seconds, 1 second decreased from Warrior.

It is absoutely critical to time that dodge in order to not take damage from any mob because

once you dodge, you get a little standing up motion delay afterwards rolling and if the mob

was not attacking at the moment, it will now attack. You can think of a bullfighter

when you encounter directly with a mob 1:1. Sure, you can attack the mob while getting hit,

but it will cost a lot since Slayers don't wear heavy armor. Just like Warrior, the point is to attack

without getting single damage. It is very possible, too, once you get the hang of it by knowing

when to dodge and saving up mp for skill firing time. Unlike Warrior's sandwiched attacks,

Slayer has long reach so that each blow can point towards side of a mob and hit the target.

Since each blow takes one step front, pointing at one side and moving across is possible

with mobs that have slow attacks. Another benefit of close range dealer is the down ability.

Slayer and Berserker is the only classes that fully take advantage of "shock" specs.

As there are attack point and defend point, in TERA, shock and balance affect the downability

and downresistablity. Normal mobs get downed very easily with Slayer and even more

frequently with Berserker. It helps a lot since mobs in general don't have rise attack and

down time is more than 3 seconds. This gives you more flexible attack combos than stunning

because stun skills usually take long delay to recover.

Slayer is more focused for single target like boss or 1:1 while Berserker is more focused in

close range "nuker" where charge attacks allow the highest damage per skill over large area.

One note for Berserker to be fair is that instead of dodging, it can block like a Lancer, but with

its giagantic long axe. Also wearing heavy armor like Lancer, Berserker has the slowest attack

speed of all classes, but not by far from Slayer. It has a shorter reach than Slayer, but each

blow is stronger and there is no need to move around to dodge every attack. I would say this

the class for casual players who like to play at the same spot without moving around

and pointing different directions. Just block when mob unleashes its fury skill and it's all yours.

Archer is more focused for 1:1 than any other dealers since only few skills actually do damage to

multiple mobs. It has traps so it can deal with underlings in solo, chargable piercing shot for

straight lined up mobs, and lock-on-up-to-5-and-shoot skill with low damage. Normal attacks

are pretty fast like Warrior, 2 shots per second at a range of 19meters. There is a benefit of

being archer in a party. You get to be the one who fakes dead and save the day after mobs

are gone when the whole party is dead. I'm serious and this skill is real at lv.38

In a boss party, archer is the only dealer who can attack very fast with significant damage

per shot. Last and best dealer is the Sorcerer. It is unfortunate to have another rpg where 

long range spell caster have the highest dealing, but someone's gotta do the debuffs and

help the party with pure fire power. Sorcerer is probably the most mundane class in TERA

since it resembles the traditional target system where you just press hot keys

and be done with it. Except in this case you do get to lock on multiple mobs for splash skills.

Several de-buffs like movement speed decrease by 70%, mana burn, fall asleep, and shackle

are available, but not seen much used. Tankers and healers prefer long range type dealers

in the party because of their safe position. IMO, boring. old.

Not safe once tanker goes down by mistake and healers and dealers

running away don't help assistant tanker in chaotic situation, which will happen.

Sorry for the sidetrack on classes and this long post if it wasn't helpful in the review

but at least I hope it was informational

I have left out explanations of other components of TERA that I mentioned in the beginning.

I think it's better to be asked to answer than loading with bunch of uninteresting infos which

only make it hard to read through the post. I'll be watching this thread from now on and see

what we can agree on TERA.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Thank you for taking the time to write that drew. That was a super interesting read! The boss fights sound like a lot of fun. I love games that actually require player skill and attention. Getting very excited for TERA and it's not even close to coming out in NA :(
  • omniskillzomniskillz Member Posts: 48

Drew i posted your thoughts on the official tera site forums

http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showthread.php?p=289301#post289301

make an account there as well and answer questions if you can.  I am currently playing the OBT and we seem to be on the same page.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

There are a few nice streams over at JustinTv:  http://www.justin.tv/sallas89#/w/767057120/2

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I wish i could play this game. :p

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• CrazedBeaverCrazedBeaver Member Posts: 73

The viral marketing force in this thread is strong.  You gotta love the new accounts that cared enough to sign up and tell us how great it is.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Originally posted by CrazedBeaver

The viral marketing force in this thread is strong.  You gotta love the new accounts that cared enough to sign up and tell us how great it is.

lot of people playing the game currently, it's expected.

Tera - the ultimate game you'll ever play. ever.

• imlazyxdimlazyxd Member UncommonPosts: 81

So far the only thing I'm disappointed is the lack of weapons and equipments...

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

@drew_afx

Thanks for all the info drew :)

That was quite some work you put into that post.  Makes me curious about all the aspects you mentioned.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Can't wait to play this. Thinking about buying an account but I heard it's only open for like 7 more days? The 22gb dl would set me back a day or two so that doesn't make it worth while anymore, especially since I wouldn't know wtf I was reading lol.

This game looks like it's going to be next gen. I've seen some tanking videos and it actually makes tanking look fun.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

I am watching Luciferia in action and damn... It makes me so I want to instantly grab keyboard and experience it all myself:D Especially boss fights.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by alterfenix

I am watching Luciferia in action and damn... It makes me so I want to instantly grab keyboard and experience it all myself:D Especially boss fights.

I have been following Luciferia also, here is his/her collection of screenshots:  http://luciferia.imgur.com/tera_kobt

Been also following Salles and his guild over at JustinTv.  ;)

can't wait for this game, I just hope the pvp is as good as the pve.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by stayontarget

I have been following Luciferia also, here is his/her collection of screenshots:  http://luciferia.imgur.com/tera_kobt

Woah, thanks for that link. There is some really stunning ones in there and the world keeps looking better and better. Nice tropical beaches for instance :) Didn't see those before.  My guess is mmorpg.com will be flooded with Tera screens once it's released here.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by DarkPony

Woah, thanks for that link. There is some really stunning ones in there and the world keep slooking better and better. Nice tropical beaches for instance :) Didn't see those before.  My guess is mmorpg.com will be flooded with Tera screens once it's released here.

Yea the visuals are amazing I hope the gameplay holds players for years to come.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Originally posted by helthros

Can't wait to play this. Thinking about buying an account but I heard it's only open for like 7 more days? The 22gb dl would set me back a day or two so that doesn't make it worth while anymore, especially since I wouldn't know wtf I was reading lol.

This game looks like it's going to be next gen. I've seen some tanking videos and it actually makes tanking look fun.

Dont buy it, the open beta it will close the 23 as far i know.

And yes, in the combat part of the game it will be next gen., one of the problem i have with the current MMO's is that is hard for me to find a class that i enjoy playing, for example in Rift i cant find any class fun to play, Sentiel is the less unfun of them, in Tera the problem i have is that i find them all fun to play, from Warrior to Mystic, all are hella fun to play and i have trouble picking one to play on the west release.

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by judex99
    And yes, in the combat part of the game it will be next gen., one of the problem i have with the current MMO's is that is hard for me to find a class that i enjoy playing, for example in Rift i cant find any class fun to play, Sentiel is the less unfun of them, in Tera the problem i have is that i find them all fun to play, from Warrior to Mystic, all are hella fun to play and i have trouble picking one to play on the west release.

That is most serious problem TERA has - it's so hard to decide on the class - all are so fun to play!

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

Originally posted by DarkPony

Woah, thanks for that link. There is some really stunning ones in there and the world keeps looking better and better. Nice tropical beaches for instance :) Didn't see those before.  My guess is mmorpg.com will be flooded with Tera screens once it's released here.

Honestly as I mentioned a few posts above I prefer to watch her livestream than pics made by her:) Not that those are bad. It's simply that combat together with visual part of the game seems to really kick.

Hopefully rest of gameplay won't be behind.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by biplex

That is most serious problem TERA has - it's so hard to decide on the class - all are so fun to play!

So whats so next gen and fun about TERA's classes and combat?  Details please.  Why are TERA's classes more entertaining than other games classes?

If you can't play it yourself then go to livestream, type tera in channel search box and just watch. Don't give up first time as even a few hours may not give you proper answer. But then if you are lucky you may see some boss fights or mobs doing some funny things from time to time.

• SomnicideSomnicide Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Originally posted by biplex

So whats so next gen and fun about TERA's classes and combat?  Details please.  Why are TERA's classes more entertaining than other games classes?

This is obviously just my opinion, but probably due to the fact that they can seem so similar (ex: Slayer=two handed greatsword, Berserker=two handed axe) yet play and feel so amazingly differently. The animations matter. They arent just fluff like in other MMOs. Some move you forward or backward based on momentum or recoil and since there is collision that small distance can make the difference between being hit or not. 

Classes in TERA are not based on what their skill effects do, like in other MMOs. They are based on how they go about doing them. In WoW, you can have a warrior skill that does 100 damage and slows. Now if you give it to an assassin, it still only does 100 damage and slows. Its exactly the same skill. In TERA, because how the classes are in the combat system that 100 damage could be vastly different in function between Slayer and Berserker based off of animation alone. One might be vertical swings or wide sweeping arcs. One might be a forward poke or a leaping smash. These animations arent just to look cool, they decide how the skill is used. It makes each one feel completely different.

In other MMO combat, a Mage spell is the same as a Warlock spell. They just have different energy types or effects. Woop. In TERA, a Mystic plays so amazing differently than a Sorcerer does that it is laughable. Every Mystic spell is and feels unique. From animation, to hitbox size, to execution speed, to distance, and finally effect. Not just a reskinned Mage with a pet.

No class in TERA feels alike at all. Its not a matter of 'oh, but a DK plays differently than a Rogue'. Its just not something you can experience fully without playing yourself. Whether you'll like it or not depends on the person. But its absolutely the best MMO combat atm.

Sup.

• ermordenermorden Member Posts: 133

Ultimately the only thing that will save an MMO these days is amazingly well thought out, open PvP.  PvP should always be the end game content, and it should always be what drives the devs.  Anyone who thinks differently is afraid.  Everquest, Asheron's Call, UO, Planetside ffs, even Darkfall; these games will always have a solid player base because player skill vs player skill (to some extent) is available.  

• JediConsularJediConsular Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by dr1ftx3

I appreciate the responses guys.  I expected there to be a few people playing devil's advocate, but I believe that everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I agree that an endless grind is gameplay made purely to strech out subscriptions but trust me, once in the environment, and once you are gripped by the gameplay, I believe you will have a different opinion.

As for someone mentioning the Rift beta, I also played Rift last week for a few days and I can tell you that TERA makes that game look like a 2005 WoW knockoff.  Not to be a naysayer, but the graphics were honestly embarassing and the gameplay was rather stale and very repetitive.  Comparing between the two is absolutely night and day IMHO.

After work today I will log and grab some screenshots for you guys as I make my way through Arborea. :)

Funny you mention that! I just recently tried TERA as my cousin is also playing the Korean version of the game. The best thing I can say about the game is that playing it for the limited time I did, had a profound effect on me, enough so that I’ve decided to hold off on purchasing Rift and have decided to wait for TERA.

However, one thing you didn't mention is how fluid the game is. That is one thing I noticed right off the bat, especially with the clunky feel of so many other games out there including Rift. In addition, I should emphasize how important skill is in this game, as you don’t lock onto your targets like in other MMOs. You CAN miss your target by not aiming correctly (no die-roll needed, thank you very much). Likewise you can avoid incoming attacks by getting the hell out the way ;)

For you tanks out there, you best be on your toes! This game requires more from a tank than any game I’ve played. Think you’re going to just hit a hotkey to grab agro? Uh uh, don’t think so! In TERA, you need to jump in harm’s way and make sure you get that shield up my friend.

My text is green because my posts are created with Willpower!
  • JediConsularJediConsular Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by nblitz

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Doesnt matter to me, Terra could be the next coming of Christ for MMO's (which I highly doubt) and I still wouldnt play because ive been burnt by every localized Asian MMO to hit this side of the Pacific.  In fact they would have to pay me to play before I even lifted a finger to even do one ounce of 'research' into their MMO.  I'll stick to Western Games designed by western companies like SWTOR or RIFT.

And I for one will keep trying anything that comes out of Asia.

To me, their artists are heads and shoulders above anything I've seen so far in the West. Regarding avatar and world/gear/overall design.

But thank you for your post. And now what?

Give Zylaxx credit, he is posting in the TERA forum afterall. Which says he's obviously still somewhat interested in the Asian MMO genre. Right? Right?

My text is green because my posts are created with Willpower!
This discussion has been closed.