Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Engineering Report Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Trek Online executive producer Daniel Stahl has published the first Engineering Report for 2011. With STO approaching its first anniversary, Stahl has lots to say about what the team has been working on. Included in future updates will be the continuation of the Romulan story line, a week-long birthday bash, improvements to the Foundry system and the future implementation of the Duty Officer system.

You may have also seen some of the early postings I've made about the new Duty Officer system we have planned for the release of Season 4. Duty Officers will represent the various departments that make your ship crew compliment different than other player's ships. Every player will have a set number of slots in thier officer roster that they can fill with Duty Officers. These officers will have different specialties and training that they've received at the Academy. Depending on how you comprise your Duty Officer Roster, new abilities, new craftables, and even new game options could open up to you. Locating and recruiting specific duty officers will allow players another form of customization that has become a Cryptic trademark.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Looks good, by the end of this year STO may actually get out of beta.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Oy-jordOy-jord Member UncommonPosts: 44

Gee, I thought this game had gone belly up and died a while ago, lol.

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

nah alot trekkies are keeping hope and allowing updates to improve the game. slowly this game is getting better much like city of heroes one of cryptics best work.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Yeah i ragequit in the closed beta and my friend got a life sub (what a fool).

We decided to come back about a week ago and we are enjoying it quite a bit.  It's still very much a casual game but the space combat is fun and (after turning up the difficulty) the ground combat is challenging (still a bit bland but meh).

Easily the best part about this is the bridge officers and how your never alone when on the ground.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Ive said it before, but I'll say it again: the simple fact of the matter is the game launched too early, and still has its problems. That said, a ton of improvement has been made since launch, and I'm having alot of fun. The current Dev team is doing a great job of listening to the community.

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

Dangit! Every time I read about STO getting improvements and that the devs really are listening to the player base I want to try it out again. And then I do and remember why I still do not really enjoy it as much as I really really want to. I will keep trying though, and maybe it will be what I was hoping it would be! I am pulling for you Cryptic!!

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Just waiting for them to fix up ground combat in Season 4.

returning recently i was shocked and impressed with the ability to explore my ship. i had ready room,sick bay everything was pretty cool. leveling seems slower to. really i agree was just launched to early and now it is starting to show what decent game it really is.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Talonsin

Looks good, by the end of this year STO may actually get out of beta.

hehe, thanks for my morning chuckle.

• WioombeenWioombeen Member Posts: 1
    This game has come a long way since launch.
    Sure, it's not everyones cup of tea, but then again
    Nothing is. For me, I am having a Blast playing this
    Game. I'd recommend it for sure. The game at this
    Point will be complete when they fix the exploration
    System.
  • donquackdonquack Member Posts: 6

Great game has lots O potential. Perhaps we get cake later?

• FormlessOneFormlessOne Member UncommonPosts: 35

Most games have "lots O potential." Cryptic humped a bunk on the release of this one, and still can't seem to get basic elements nailed down. It's nice to see they're still trying to put lipstick on this pig, but at the end of the day it's still a tarted-up sow.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

I can't believe that i wasted $25 on this piece of crap. How do you go from City of Heroes to this travesty? Not to mention, Champions Online. This game's an insult to Gene Roddenberry's legacy.

they should rename this site to mmorpgcomplaints.com people spend more time complaining then talk about actual gameplay i swear. i think STO is becoming good mmo slowly. and subscribers are coming back slowly. you dont like STO then sol because its the way it is and will be around years to come.  this game just won bunch rewards do you think IP owner will pull the plug ?? no not after that.

• ioryadragonioryadragon Member Posts: 91

At the moment even with the heavly instanced server arthitecture and poor ground combat, its probably the best mmo to try untill the new ones start to launch, after that i dont know.

Why? Because of the missions, space combat, customization and even that limited instanced PVP.

Most important from report are long term features:

Long Term

Designs and features being considered for updates further in the future

• Converting First Officer to Playable Captain

• Fleet Starbases

• Fleet Action Updates

• More Fleet Actions

• More PVP Maps

• Updated Game Tutorial and ability to skip it

• More iconic locations such as Starfleet Academy, Rura Penthe etc...

• Explorable Sol System

• Improved Social Planets with social gameplay

• More Minigames

• More Borg parts for AlienGen

• Ability to construct new ships at Starbases

• Territory Control War

• Deepspace Exploration Concept

• Additional Playable Factions (Romulan, Cardassian...)

• Android species

• Aenar species

• Talaxian species

• Hologram species

• Improved Hair Tech

Unfortunatly by the time they add these, if ever, a lot of players will be in Tera, GW2, SWTOR and so on. I still play it now, since its really nothing to play outhere, that i didnt played to death and i am sick of the generic quest and combat of theme park fantasy mmorpgs.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Yeah , just don't mention the lack of Klingon content , less you provoke a tirade from the Dev. lol.