Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vindictus: The Official Review

Comments

• StaalkerStaalker Member Posts: 1

DC Universe Online uses the same combat system as tis game...

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

The entire time I played this game I used the dodge a grand sum of eight-ish times, never against normal mobs, and I found my health went down slower than the bosses even when on higher difficulties if I just charged and spammed them. Be it with the occasional stun.

In other words my tactics for all three; combo, combo, combo, combo, combo, next mission, combo combo, combo ad infinitum...

I 'can' do other things. I 'can' have more fun and variety if I wanna mix things up. Bt I got every time trial easily that way, and had found no quicker method. If there was something else to the missions I could perceive slowing down, but all I had to do was kill, so I did so in as efficient a way as possible, and that got amazingly boring.

It's a broken mechanic when spamming is the best option to me, and you have to play worse in  order to extend any variety into the game.

That to me is why I wouldn't give Vindictus an 8. I do however think they did a good job making the game.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by Deivos

The entire time I played this game I used the dodge a grand sum of eight-ish times, never against normal mobs, and I found my health went down slower than the bosses even when on higher difficulties if I just charged and spammed them. Be it with the occasional stun.

What bosses have you fought until now? It only starts to get a little hard once you reach Gnoll Chieftain (Perilous Ruin's main boss) or higher level bosses, as they will eat through your HP bars in 2 hits if you're not carefull.

Either way, the goal is not to get hit, so if the bosses HP goes down faster than yours, you're doing it right :P

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Originally posted by Deivos

What bosses have you fought until now? It only starts to get a little hard once you reach Gnoll Chieftain (Perilous Ruin's main boss) or higher level bosses, as they will eat through your HP bars in 2 hits if you're not carefull.

Either way, the goal is not to get hit, so if the bosses HP goes down faster than yours, you're doing it right :P

That was my thought as well. Some of the later bosses have nasty stuns and follow up attacks. Trying to stand toe to toe with some of them is asking to get two shotted, even with blue gear and good skills.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • madnessman13madnessman13 Member UncommonPosts: 91

I havent played it but i think it would be a good game to try   it will probly lose my attention in the long run. But for those people on get to play once or twice a week it will be great.

madnessman

• chubbysumochubbysumo Member Posts: 1

ur an idiot they're still adding new contents and characters u know, r u jus bagging on things without even knowing wats going on

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by chubbysumo

ur an idiot they're still adding new contents and characters u know, r u jus bagging on things without even knowing wats going on

Wow, get some sources before you make yourself look like the idiot.

The Korean client only has one character we don't have right now, and we sure as hell aren't going to get anything before they do. All we've gotten from Nexon, besides the generic "we are reading the forums" replies, is that they hope to catch us up as soon as possible, which could be anywhere from several months to a year.

And protip: Make better uses of "Yo"s, "h"s, "a-e"s, and proper placement of "s"s, and it might make your statement look like it took more effort than a rock would use to type.

• radwan666radwan666 Member Posts: 31

Will this game be only playable for US and Canada? or have they planned to allow other countries others than EU ones?

Carpe Diem

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by radwan666

Will this game be only playable for US and Canada? or have they planned to allow other countries others than EU ones?

There's an EU version on it's way, although no clue when it will enter CBT. My guess would be early 2011 (by the end of January probably)

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Whats concerning me is how far the gaming media is allowing companies to push the line on what is an actual MMO.  Its really getting frightening.

What defines an MMO is primarily one thing: a large persistent non instanced world.  That doesnt mean the game can't have instances in the forms of dungeons, raid zones, etc, but at the very least the regular basic world has to be non instanced and able to support anywhere from 20-100+ people running around in the same zone or area at once.  That does not mean a little bar/social hub where everyone can see each other counts, it has to be an actual world.

This is why Star Trek Online is not an mmo, and why games like Vindictus are not MMO's.  What they are is online server based RPG's with a robust multiplayer system.  Its no different than playing Diablo II on battle.net, they just chose to have a place where your avatar can run around while you look for players to group with.  Battle.net gives you a text based chat room, STO gives you a graphical chat room.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• briskojrbriskojr Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Whats concerning me is how far the gaming media is allowing companies to push the line on what is an actual MMO.  Its really getting frightening.

What defines an MMO is primarily one thing: a large persistent non instanced world.  That doesnt mean the game can't have instances in the forms of dungeons, raid zones, etc, but at the very least the regular basic world has to be non instanced and able to support anywhere from 20-100+ people running around in the same zone or area at once.  That does not mean a little bar/social hub where everyone can see each other counts, it has to be an actual world.

This is why Star Trek Online is not an mmo, and why games like Vindictus are not MMO's.  What they are is online server based RPG's with a robust multiplayer system.  Its no different than playing Diablo II on battle.net, they just chose to have a place where your avatar can run around while you look for players to group with.  Battle.net gives you a text based chat room, STO gives you a graphical chat room.

I wouldn't worry too much about the definitions of an MMO. It's an extremely worthless topic to discuss. Rather you personally label is an MMO or not, changes nothing of what is offered. 

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

This game is an MMO?

lol.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • briskojrbriskojr Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by Hyanmen

This game is an MMO?

lol.

Is lol MMO this game?

An. 

Originally posted by Hrimnir

"Frightening"?? In what regard?  The media(especially mass) has always been a branch of MiniTrue.  Be it govenmental or corporate.  The definition of MMO is so vague that its hardly surprising that it gets so widely applied. 

Besides, if it drives page views and thus ad sales its all good. image

• KingPhazonKingPhazon Member Posts: 9

I'm going to hold off on Vindictus until your next re-review, give the game time to improve before I try it. The only reason I come to this site is because your the only site that does re-reviews on MMOs.

• thorosuchthorosuch Member UncommonPosts: 127

I found the game to be fairly enjoyable for what it is, in the beginning, don't play much any more as it's very repetitive and  the lag in groups make it just about unbearable to play.

Getting old is mandatory...growing up is optional.

• possession69possession69 Member Posts: 5

Hm im waiting for the game to be available in South America, though i doubt this is happening soon :(. Anyways, game is good (tried it out when i went to the staes), great graphics, great tutorial, and i dont get bored of it, contrast to what other people say. 

Maybe music isnt dead. Maybe we just forgot what it fvcking sounds like.

Yes, its been enjoyable so far. Its not my main game, so I've only managed to get to level 31 so far. But over all its been fun.

• axci1234fireaxci1234fire Member Posts: 1

As of 6/13/2011, Vindictus has updated with 4 boats, a character revamp, PvP, a new town, and a new character.  I say this as a statement of fact because I believe that MMORPG.com needs to re-review the game.  Vindictus has changed to a point where the launch release would be incomparable to what I see now.

As a player who has seen everything in Vindictus, I'll give my 2 cents:

Vindictus is NOT a persistent MMO.  It should not be approached that way nor should it be criticized for it.  The game plays more like a RPG with Co-op.

The lag that people complain about is due to the fact that this game was developed in Korea, where their internet is much faster and better.  The game is, and will always be tried and tested in Korea first before coming to NA.

Player vs. Player combat is an insignificant part of the game with very little support for it at all.

The four characters are NOT classes and shouldn't be defined as such.  Rather, the characters have only two defining elements: Offense and Defense.

The characters are gender locked for a reason: They all have significant stories behind them.  There are rumors of the Vindictus team elaborating on the backgrounds of these characters but there is nothing confirmed as of yet. 

Now that's out of the way, here's my rant:

For the love of god people, THIS GAME IS FREE.  I have not and will not spend any money on this game, even if I put another 200 hours.  Why would you compare a game that's FREE to a game where you would pay $15 a month?  There's also the fact that you can pick this game up anytime you want and drop it, only to pick it up another time.  Vindictus is more akin to an RPG or FPS where achievements matter, rather than territories and guild status.  Also why would you complain about the lack of persistence if there was none?

Does anyone play with friends? I sure as hell do and I have to say that this game is 5x as fun.  Everyone criticizes this game because no one would play it with a buddy.  This game REWARDS people with friends.  Players aren't burdens, they're force multipliers; and I emphasize the term mutliplier.  The more people you have, the greater the chances of success unlike MMOs with restricted classes.  There's no useless tank and there's no person who needs constant attention to be useful.  Each character does significant amounts of damage and has their methods of taking damage. 

This is NOT a game for everyone, and I wholeheartedly agree.  If this was, the community would de-evolve to a standard MMO.  Vindictus' community is actually quite pleasant and nice because of what the aforementioned statement about players being burdens.  Players don't swear and curse at each other,  there's no griefing or trolling, and everyone is quite helpful to one another. 

All in all, I would definitely give this game an 8/10.  I agree with what Bill has to say about this game and I would definitely recommend this game to people who haven't tried it yet.  This game is not for everyone but it's still a lot of fun. 

ZZZZZZ "sleeping" ZZZZZZ

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Good joke Axci, but it isn't because Korean internet is superior to ours, or at least that isn't the main factor.

What is the main factor? The game uses peer-to-peer connections. You get just one person on AOL dialup playing in your party, and next thing you know everyone is warping about and dead in the blink of an eye. It's less about better internet, and more about more centralized areas of play in Korea, which facilitate peer-to-peer networks much better than some idiot from East Coast USA connecting to West Coast servers on his crap internet connection.

THAT, is the major difference. Which is also why Nexon has made it clear that their next game Dragon Nest, will NOT be using peer-2-peer connections and instead will have the players connecting to a server, which is how it should of been done in the first place here.

Originally posted by Cursedsei

Good joke Axci, but it isn't because Korean internet is superior to ours, or at least that isn't the main factor.

What is the main factor? The game uses peer-to-peer connections. You get just one person on AOL dialup playing in your party, and next thing you know everyone is warping about and dead in the blink of an eye. It's less about better internet, and more about more centralized areas of play in Korea, which facilitate peer-to-peer networks much better than some idiot from East Coast USA connecting to West Coast servers on his crap internet connection.

THAT, is the major difference. Which is also why Nexon has made it clear that their next game Dragon Nest, will NOT be using peer-2-peer connections and instead will have the players connecting to a server, which is how it should of been done in the first place here.

Good points. Korea does have one of the best telcom infrastructures in the world, but its also a MUCH smaller country than NA is. They can get away with peer to peer over there, but its not a good idea to use it in NA.  I'm glad to hear that Dragon Nest is using a traditional server/client application.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

What I find slightly disturbing about all these "Official reviews" from these "gaming news sources", is that not a single a reviewer has mentioned anything about the OST for this game.  This game at least deserves best soundtrack of 2011.

http://youtu.be/OP-niZrsXLs?hd=1

http://youtu.be/LsDa7BU48Bg?hd=1

http://youtu.be/4qtwaxSc6lo?hd=1

So much quality for a purely micro transaction ( face it free2play sounds a little naive in this day and age) based game.

I'd go so far as to say this game has a better sound track than skyrim. Definitely better than the massive budget soundtrack of Warhammer Online. A that actually received praise for its orchestrated soundtrack.

OFFTOPIC:

There is concept art for a total of 8 characters, and it's rumored that Kai the Archer is to be announced in two weeks for Korea, at end of their "Infinite Festival".

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Quick warning to anyone planning on playing this game long term, this game is peer 2 peerready yoursefl for extreme lag during anything that requires a group.   Unles your group leader had a god like internet connection or the group is very small(and the leader has a good connection) you will lag all day during raids.  This game is barely playable in most groups,  any time your in a big group you get serious delays. Unitl the same is change and has dedicated servers dont play it once you get to high levels you will be forced to raid. The raids will be filled with delay lag none stop, peer 2 peer works in korea because  it's so freaking small amercia is about 82 times bigger.

tl;dr this game could be a lot better but peer 2 peer ruined it (that and hackers doing dungeons in 2mins)

• chaos576chaos576 Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think people are not understanding this game and rating on what they want as opposed to what it is.

first of all, not having "jumping" is not a disadvantage. One can "roll" out of the way which serves the player as a way to avoid a swing or attack. it works perfectly fine and in my opinion is far better than the whole jumping spam that we see in some of these games.

But still, one can move out of the way.

As far as gender locked classes being lazy, again, one must realized that apparently each of these "classes" is actually a character from some story. So it's more about connecting with this story over creating "you" in the game. Though one can customize some aesthetics.

It's the same as playing a game where one is Lara Croft  or Duke Nukem. Or heck even the new Dragon Age 2 which one has to play as male. It is what it is.

As far as being heavily instanced, well, it's a game that is not creating a world but is more of a lobby type game. It is what it is.

One might not want to play an instanced game but it's similiar to Guild Wars in that there really isn't a world but you gather your party at a staging area and head out.

The fighting can be quite fun if you like fast paced mouse clicking fights. the game is very repetitive so one can easily burn themselves out if they aren't careful.

There is a lot of attention to detail within the confines of what this game is trying to be. Whether this details is lost on people or not is antoher thing entirely.

If one is looking for quick fast pace combat fun then the game works. If one is looking to groom a character over the levels in a large dynamic world then the game won't satisfy.

Yes, this game is based off of other characters, I well give everyone a hint, the original version is called Mabinogi heroes, all of the characters are based off mabinogi npc's.  And this may not be a traditional mmo but it is still epic.  Plus with the new secondary weapons and the ability to use spells, the game turns from a hack n slash, to a hack n slash + shooter.  If you review it as its intended genre then it is atleast an 8/10.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by gilgamesh42

Quick warning to anyone planning on playing this game long term, this game is peer 2 peerready yoursefl for extreme lag during anything that requires a group.  

it was actually brilliant...the games population is massive and most MMOs would be lagging like mad anyway. With peer to peer all you need to do is join a guild with a bunch of members in your part of the world and play with...like minded internet connections.

Then you will never get any lag at all. Games like this make me glad I have been in the same guild for many years and never have to worry about playing a game with people I dont know.