Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange query regarding storyline quests

Namely, can I avoid them and still progress?

I suppose I owe something in the way of an explanation. I've downloaded LOTRO twice, rolled a hobbit twice, uninstalled twice. Nothing to do with the look and feel of hobbits--I think Turbine did a decent job here. But as someone who grew up looking at LOTR as a bible, meeting Frodo, Pippin, Sam and Strider in the tutorial irks me badly. Very, very badly.

I don't blame Turbine for this; I understand why they handled it this way. No, this is strictly a me problem.

So, again, can I skip the major storyline quests and make headway? I'm not worried about endgame; all I want to do is do some crafting and see a good portion of the world. Because I dig the look and feel. I just don't want to talk to too many major characters while I do so.

As an addendum, would rolling another race be part of the answer here? I sorta doubt the dwarven starting area can be as closely tied with the books, but what do I know.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

It's a shame that you don't like meeting them on their way "out'. It's perfectly feasible that if you are a hobbit then you will know them/meet them.

As it stands "yes" rolling another race means you won't meet them "there". If you do any of the main quest you will come across them again. You will also see them elsewhere in the world as you level but you dont' need to interact with them if you don't want.

You don't need to do the main quest at all with the exception of the first part from the tutorial that sets you on your way.

As a point of note I haven't gotten too far in the main quest and I've been playing since launch.

(edit: well since closed beta but that means nothing except I can tell you how the game has played "since")

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'll give it another shot, though as a dwarf this time.

Still wish they had made this a sandbox set in or around the time of The Hobbit. But I'm looking forward to trying it out again.

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

They pop up and ask for your help etc. . . but you don't become their right hand man or anything.  The tutorial is likely the most saturated part of the game as far as this goes.  I would give it some more time and I think you will enjoy it.  It is more like passing by them.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Dalano

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'll give it another shot, though as a dwarf this time.

Still wish they had made this a sandbox set in or around the time of The Hobbit. But I'm looking forward to trying it out again.

Keep in mind you don't even have to do "most" quests. I only do the quests I want to do or the few I have to do such as class quests.

Also, know that the hobbit quests tend to be more "homey" such as pie delivery and I think there was somethign about keeping something away from nosey neighbors. Not to day that there aren't battle quests but the hobbit quests tend to be steeped a bit in things that make sense for hobbits.

Having said that, you don't have to be a hobbit to do them nor do you have to stick with the starter area for any race other than the tutorial.

Not sure if a player must do the tutororial once or not though I do know you can skip it at some point if you make other characters.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

re: dwarf starter area: I haven't done it since the latest revamp, and I hear it's changed again, but the tutorial used to (and may still) take place in TA 2941, around the time of "The Hobbit", and you would meet Thorin Oakenshield, Gandalf, a young Gimli and a few other familiar dwarves in Ered Luin just prior to Thorin & Company's departure for the Lonely Mountain. After the tutorial the timeline advances to the "present". It showcases the fact dwarves are longer-lived than Men or Hobbits. The Elf tutorial starts around 500 years before the "present" for similar reasons.

If you are trying to avoid the main characters, the Men tutorial is not good either - Strider appears in that one too.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239

It should be noted that you'll have to do the Moria main questline, as it grants you one of your legendary legacies. However, it doesn't feature any of the characters from the fellowship, so it should be okay.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Too my knowledge there is 2 epic quest lines you must complete and one other that you must if you quest in angamar.

The first is your intro quest to leave the lvl 1-5 instance area.

The second Sort of is in Angamar to allow you to pass the watcher stones(you do not need to complete any before that book, no it doesn't require you to meet any of the Fellowship IIRC)

The third is the vol. 2 prologe which must be completed to allow you entry into moria. (no fellowship member encounters there)

For the most part you won't directly interact with the fellowship of the ring cast for any length of time. You sort of parrallel thier course so you will see them occasionally but don't expect to see them constantly.

• arrgyarrgy Member UncommonPosts: 87

My question is why wouldnt you want to meet  the main characters? That kinda doesn't make any sense to me.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Dalano

So, again, can I skip the major storyline quests and make headway? I'm not worried about endgame; all I want to do is do some crafting and see a good portion of the world. Because I dig the look and feel. I just don't want to talk to too many major characters while I do so.

the short answer is yes. My latest alt is mid 20's and has done only a few on the storyline quests. I am leveling it mostly with solo and group skimishes and with deeds which I combine with the "bulleten board" tasks.

I miss DAoC

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by arrgy

My question is why wouldnt you want to meet  the main characters? That kinda doesn't make any sense to me.

Doesn't need to make sense to you and he actually answered this in his OP.

OP, I'm fairly certain you can skip all of the the Epic quest line - some may open up travel routes, but I believe every portion of the gameplay world is still accessible.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Nearly all the story line is able to be skipped. After the first slew of quests pre level 20, you really never encounter the main characters again for quite some time. As time progresses you really begin to move in your own direction with the story line and I dont think it is until Rivendell that you see the main characters again. Once in Moria you basically never see them as they are supposed to have moved on by the time you enter. You dont see them again until Lothlorien and then they go off again when you move to Mirkwood. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Sovrath

It's a shame that you don't like meeting them on their way "out'. It's perfectly feasible that if you are a hobbit then you will know them/meet them.

As it stands "yes" rolling another race means you won't meet them "there". If you do any of the main quest you will come across them again. You will also see them elsewhere in the world as you level but you dont' need to interact with them if you don't want.

You don't need to do the main quest at all with the exception of the first part from the tutorial that sets you on your way.

As a point of note I haven't gotten too far in the main quest and I've been playing since launch.

(edit: well since closed beta but that means nothing except I can tell you how the game has played "since")

You do have to do one particular book to get into Moria, but it doesn't involve any of the main LotR characters.