Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carebear game

They just announced this game will be non-pvp.
It was gonna suck anyways, this is just something else to complain about.
There wont be any pvp in it.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Comments

• crosscountrycrosscountry Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Yup pretty stupid not to have pvp.  They could have done so much with good vs evil .....
  • gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

The thing is, Lord of the Rings was about a full scale war with magic. 10,000 orcs attack Helms Deep and yet... no PVP? Doesnt make since. It'd be like World of Warcraft being carebear.
    The hardcore fanbois mod the forums at warcry... they deleted my posts for saying that I thought it sort of infringed on a world Tolkien created with his mind... it pissed them off royally.
    If the creator of the idea is dead, unless he says otherwise, drop it and dont pick it up.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • RubycatRubycat Member Posts: 223

Well they werent going to have Orcs playable anyways.
    --
    i think pvp between guilds would of been nice, but no no option at all

in the end pvp or not, it wouldnt be full scale MEO i think is more on the side of goods tale (humans/elves/dwarves/hobbits and the like)

• crosscountrycrosscountry Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Well if you read on MEO forums it appears most of the people there are happy with no pvp. I think its a shame that turbine did that tho.  Could have had people fighting for Mordor and such.  Turbine just took the easy path.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

It may succeed as a niche game, if it ever releases. I have been following the game off and on since Sierra was going to develop it back in 99 or 2000. Considering that the game was scheduled to be on the streets by now and Turbine just delayed it another year to year and a half I would not count on it ever seeing a store shelf. 4 races no magic no ranged healing no PvP = a Middle Earth theme park as far as I am concerned.

edit - I have to agree with others speculations that it seems as if Vivendi smelled the coffee and dumped this one into Turbines lap. I might have some sympathy here for Turbine except I still have some bitterness concerning the mess they made of AC2.

I miss DAoC

• EmbersEmbers Member UncommonPosts: 66

I'm going to have to agree, a lot of people are still bitter about AC2.  At the moment we know more about what MEO will not contain (pvp, most of the middle earth map) than we do about what it will contain.

I'm guessing unless DDO hits over 200,000 subscribers that MEO will never be released by Turbine.  They might end up selling the rights to SOE or NCSoft to try and keep themselves afloat and pay off loans.

• Kud-DukanKud-Dukan Member Posts: 34

What were they supposed to do with PvP?  Does anyone else have any ideas about how they could have incorporated it without the ability to play evil races?  Middle Earth isn't just about big battles.  The story behind Middle Earth is what makes it amazing.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but MEO will do just fine.  Middle Earth has a larger fanbase than any other fantasy world ever created.  Look at how many members their forums have right now...just about 90,000, and go count how many of them are angry with the loss of pvp.  You won't find many.

And I am a big fan of PvP in MMORPGs, but I am glad to see it go.  It doesn't fit the lore, so it shouldn't be there.  I'm going to get flamed, but I really don't mind :)

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Kud-Dukan

What were they supposed to do with PvP?  Does anyone else have any ideas about how they could have incorporated it without the ability to play evil races?  Middle Earth isn't just about big battles.  The story behind Middle Earth is what makes it amazing.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but MEO will do just fine.  Middle Earth has a larger fanbase than any other fantasy world ever created.  Look at how many members their forums have right now...just about 90,000, and go count how many of them are angry with the loss of pvp.  You won't find many.
    And I am a big fan of PvP in MMORPGs, but I am glad to see it go.  It doesn't fit the lore, so it shouldn't be there.  I'm going to get flamed, but I really don't mind :)

The point is they should have made orcs and trolls playable. Also the ability to go rogue with the other races which would have caused them to be labled as kill on site in any of the civilized areas by NPC's.

Their forums may have 90k registered but how many active posters, a dozen or two. Check out any post over there and you find 100 replies made by the same half a dozen or two posters. Those same dozen or so posters seem to manage to run anyone and everyone else off.

I am not going to flame you although I have to disagree on the fact that PvP would not have fit the lore. Open free for all like in Lineage, absolutly not. A well planned realm vs realm with the ability to go outlaw if you wanted to suffer the consequnces would have fit in fine.

PvP done right wiould have fir in fine in MEO, however it would have been totaly out of place in DDO , just my opinion there.

Does not matter anyway, they have made their decision, I will just spend my gaming dollars elsewhere.

I miss DAoC

• holycannoliholycannoli Member Posts: 236

They're dooming this game. They probably paid a fortune and a half for the license, and they're not gonna get the playerbase.

Orcs and trolls and evil races can't be played? No more pvp?

Hmm, Horizons did this. They thought it would be a good move for the game. The devs are gonna realize this crucial mistake you know. If they were smart, they'd take back all they said, announce and develop the evil races as playable, and reinstate pvp. Or the game will flop.

Tolkien games where you're a "good" character have been done. Been done to death. People want to play out the conflicts and battles now as BOTH good and evil characters. That's why right now I play a NWN online world based on Tolkien with full pvp and good/neutral/evil as the three teams (with corresponding races).

It's simply more fun that way. I'm upset at this news. And sad for the developers who spent a lot of money and won't get the full potential of what they could have earned.

EDIT: Hey give the license to the develoers of Dark and Light. They seem to know how to build a pvp-based mmorpg from what I see so far. Honestly, I just think what the MEO devs said is a well worded excuse. Just like I think the Horizons devs did. They're both just not that good IMO.

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292
    I don't know why they even had to set the game during the WoTR(War of the Ring). IMO they should have set the game in the elder days, like the First or Second Age. They could have had a lot more playing room with the content and PvP in that respect since there is more on the WoTR then any other time in history.

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

Setting it in the First Age would have been cool...but sadly, Christopher Tolkien still has the rights to the Silmaillion, and he isn't gonna give the rights to his fathers masterpiece to anyone anytime soon.
  • TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    While I agree PvP would have been something cool to experience in the game I do understand their motives for not having it.  In fact I admire the motives because they must realize that there will be some people that are turned away simply by the game not having PvP.  That to me says they're willing to lose some subscribers to make the game as they see fit and not cater to everyone out there to try and garner the most subscribers possible.  In today's MMO market is almost revolutionary.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by TookyG
    While I agree PvP would have been something cool to experience in the game I do understand their motives for not having it.  In fact I admire the motives because they must realize that there will be some people that are turned away simply by the game not having PvP.  That to me says they're willing to lose some subscribers to make the game as they see fit and not cater to everyone out there to try and garner the most subscribers possible.  In today's MMO market is almost revolutionary.

On the contrary, PvE is well-established as the premier revenue model for a mmorpg. MEO is simply following that very old road.

PvP is extremely hard to implement properly and would really require a radical rethink of some of the old-fashioned boring aspects of current mmorpgs (like levels). Simply, MEO can't be bothered or won't take the risk to innovate.

Atm this is looking like a level-grind game trying to milk a license.

• GreenstarGreenstar Member Posts: 5

I applaud the "no pvp" concept. will cut down on the "uber l33t" gamers and powergamers and maybe, just maybe, allow us to really roleplay in Middle Earth.

On the other hand, I've yet to see a game that wasn't ruined by pvp, unless there was a way to make it completely consensual (e.g. the way CoH is doing it with the Arena fights). Not to mention that balancing for both pvp and pve is a total nightmare.

There are tons of pvp games out there - must MEO be another one?

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Lunar_Knight
    I don't know why they even had to set the game during the WoTR(War of the Ring). IMO they should have set the game in the elder days, like the First or Second Age. They could have had a lot more playing room with the content and PvP in that respect since there is more on the WoTR then any other time in history.

Because then they can't attract the movie kiddies. I wouldn't expect the books fromt his game, I would expect to feel the movies from this game, even though the movies did try hard to stay with the books, there is still a difference. For one, the fanbase, everyone knows the movies, not everyone knows the books, and Turbine needs all the customers they can get at the moment.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Two words...cash whores.

And I say this for a reason, they'll do anything for a buck, even if it means desecrating the masterpiece of one, J.R.R. Tolkien.

No PvP...a weakass solution to the age old problem of how to implement death in middle-earth without perma-death. Well...Sierra had the right solution. Perma-death...with the ability to just be knocked out.

PvP...hell...PvP would be awesome with orcs, and trolls, and eastern men. Even hobbits, and elves, humans, and dwarves could fight amongst their own. There are all instances in the stories where that does happen, (death, war, etc.) except maybe for dwarves...that i'm not sure of.

Anyhow...yes...Cash whores. And it's a sad thing. I was following this game on the VN boards before it got handed over to Turbine. And lost complete interest in it when they started butchering this game and were shown to just be producing it for a quick buck. Seems many do that now a-days.

Which having a game like this, with a storyline so deep, and alive, ruined; it's a travesty.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

Originally posted by Aldaron
    Two words...cash whores.
    And I say this for a reason, they'll do anything for a buck, even if it means desecrating the masterpiece of one, J.R.R. Tolkien.

You know, people throw this kinda slang around at companies all the time now. I really don't get it. Your gonna complain because someone is taking a legendary book set and trying to make it live and breath in 3d? That makes no sense at all, just because it doesn't meet your MMO expectations does NOT constitute a company as a "cash whore" or anything else. There is no grounds to what you had to say, have you ever really thought what a game would be like that was made without vision and just made for capital gain by a marketting depertment? Do you REALLY think the game would ever even make it to concept?

Get over capitalism, thats all I have to say. Your griping about the thing that has brought you every conveiniance INCLUDING MMO's into your recreational and non-recreational life. We HAVE a choice of what game we want to play and game sit and go through shelves of them and find the ones we like. No company has to make a product hat suites every single person out there. And trying to be successful and MAKE money does not make them whores.

I completely feel Turbine has and will completely fail on this project, I will not however sit and critisize them for trying to succeed as a company, only on HOW they tried.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

First we must remember that a company wants to make money, bottom line, but if they really wanted to just make money from this game it would of been released long ago and not delayed, I am a member of meosource and i have heard all kinds of arguments and not everyone is happy with no PVP, I personally am not distraught over no pvp. But that is me.

As for the time setting of the game, Turbine has license to the LOTR and hobbit books to make this game off of. So it has to be set in those times. I have said in other forums that this game is what we make of it as we play not what the name or time it is set in does. I want to experience middle earth and i will get the chance to fight orcs and trolls and other minions of evil, I personally don't want to play these caracters.

What i hear in this thread is alot of "I can't kill whoever i want so i won't play image. The story of tolkien is so rich in culture and myths that i feel this is the true essence of this game not being able to PK other players. And yes i am a roleplayer at heart, I would rather explore the mines of moria and see the last lonely home, than pvp.

We have no idea what turbine has planned for this game other than they said "that pvp won't work" "the alignment system won't work" . Come on do you expect for them to open there doors and say hey come in this what we are doing, and tell us everything. If you do then you are fooling yourself.

Also the movies are not more well known than the books, Look at it. Books been around for 50+years and read by millions over all over the world. Movies around for 4 years (grant it seen by millions) but remember abuot 80% of those who saw the movies read the books first and not just one time. The books have a world wide fan base that has been around for over 50+ years. There is no comparison. And for those who have only seen the movies i suggest reading the books if you want the full experience, Nothing will ever compare to the books, not a game or a movie, that is life.

Don't run this game into the ground just cause you don't like the way they are developing it. Don't flame others cause they voice there opinion (Though i fully expect to get flamed). Do as i and so many others are doing, save your judgement for when the game is released and there is a game to judge.

imageimage

• GambinoGambino Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Aldaron
    Two words...cash whores.
    No PvP...a weakass solution to the age old problem of how to implement death in middle-earth without perma-death. Well...Sierra had the right solution. Perma-death...with the ability to just be knocked out.
    PvP...hell...PvP would be awesome with orcs, and trolls, and eastern men. Even hobbits, and elves, humans, and dwarves could fight amongst their own. There are all instances in the stories where that does happen, (death, war, etc.) except maybe for dwarves...that i'm not sure of.
    Anyhow...yes...Cash whores. And it's a sad thing. I was following this game on the VN boards before it got handed over to Turbine. And lost complete interest in it when they started butchering this game and were shown to just be producing it for a quick buck. Seems many do that now a-days.
    Which having a game like this, with a storyline so deep, and alive, ruined; it's a travesty.

Damn you are a hard headed dunce. Get out of that piss poor state of mind you are in. You can still fight orcs, trolls, and Easterlings, so what's the whining about? Someone scared of a truely immersive MMO? It's too bad that you are so conservative and consider anything that goes against your code of applied priciples is wrong and evil.

Oh, and why would you want to see a hobbit and an elf fighting? That's just lame, and looks shallow. You lost interest when the game started turning into what it is-- a game. Alive? Yes. Deep? Yes. Ruined? Not at all.

You can go back to your box now, kid.

• Thors1982Thors1982 Member Posts: 4

no pvp.....

turbine better change this. Or I am going to be highly upset

Currently playing: AoC beta, Tabula Rasa beta
    Favorites: UO,AC,AC2,WoW,DAoC
    Disliked: EQ,EQ2,SB,AO

Originally posted by Thors1982
    no pvp.....
    turbine better change this. Or I am going to be highly upset

Avoid the wait, start getting upset now...

- Scaris

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Do you really think turbine will change no pvp just because you are upset when so many have posted on forums that they don't care if there is pvp or not?

imageimage

Originally posted by Grindalyx
    Do you really think turbine will change no pvp just because you are upset when so many have posted on forums that they don't care if there is pvp or not?

Exactly.  The majority of people in the LOTRO community support the idea of no pvp (Go check out some of the polls if you don't believe me).

Originally posted by Kud-Dukan
    Originally posted by Grindalyx Do you really think turbine will change no pvp just because you are upset when so many have posted on forums that they don't care if there is pvp or not?Exactly. The majority of people in the LOTRO community support the idea of no pvp (Go check out some of the polls if you don't believe me).

- Scaris

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

This is something I just don't get.

If I were hardcore into competing against other players in an online game (which I'm not, incidentially), I would much rather get my fix playing something like an online FPS than worrying about PvP in an MMO. It seems as though the FPS would be more exciting anyhow.

To you PvPers who demand it be in EVERY game: Why is this? Explain. Just curious.