Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next, What would you like to see?

124»

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Arawnite

Design it with PVP in mind from the start.

Not every game needs to be pvp centric.

<3

• ArawniteArawnite Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by dreamscaper

I didn't say PVP centric, I said design it with PVP in mind. You know, as in having the structure in place to support a solid PVP ruleset, for those that enjoy it - unlike Everquest and Everquest II.

• DaxPierceDaxPierce Member Posts: 172

Things I would like to see.

*Combat - Should be interesting. I like the idea of classes that can kite, nuke, in your face etc. I dont want them to get all whacky like FFXIV but the spell/ability queing system is a plus. Im actually pretty open to how combat and UI are as long as its not clunky and its functional like WOW/EQ2 and so on.

*Travel - Wizards and Druids selling portals again. LOVE IT. Druids selling Spirit of the Wolf/Eagle. Mega bard speed. Potions to increase run speed. Items of power that teleport you to certain locations but are also hard to obtain.

*Economy - Set your vendor up in any part of the city, whether it be an empty stall, wherever. Make a market broker so that you can just browse through a frame to find what you are looking for and when you have found it, just hit locate PC. BAM sparkle trail leads you right to the vendor stall of the item you're looking for. (Just like the Bazaar in EQ1)

*Item progression - I have to admit that EQ2s item system is perfect for this. Mastercrafted gear can last you 20 levels, otherwise its quest gear every 10 levels. Raids every tier with items that are substantial. Not sure i dig the idea of UNFRESH items being held onto forever and changing as you level but w/e.

*Corpse runs should never be nightmarish, but there should DEFINATELY be a death penalty whether it be high cost to repair or whatever. I like how WOW has it to be honest. Your a ghost, you run back to your corpse, you repair.

And since Sony is developing this i'll say this again. MAKE TONS OF CLASSES and make them unique. EQ2 classes are so homogenized its rediculous. EQ1 was right on target.

• banecrowbanecrow Member UncommonPosts: 93

Beastlords!!!

For the love of god give us back our beastlords. None of this EQ2 crap where they are no longer in the game.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Originally posted by banecrow

Beastlords!!!

For the love of god give us back our beastlords. None of this EQ2 crap where they are no longer in the game.

Beastlords are great but they lacked ONE MAJOR THING in EQ1 that would have improved them tremendously....

They needed a spell that merged the beastlord with their pet.

Pets are pretty worthless at best and dangerous at worst in raids. 

Having a spell/talent that merged the two would not only give a real opportunity to show off the graphics in the game -- it would allow beastlords to have a non-pet class role in dungeons and raids.  It also solves some balancing issues.  It would also be "cool."

When merged the beastlord would acquire claws, speed, and agility -- attacking faster and for more damage than they do when not merged.  They could also have tracking/scent.  At any rate it would take the character from a pet class to a dps class.

• banecrowbanecrow Member UncommonPosts: 93

Originally posted by centkin

Originally posted by banecrow

Beastlords!!!

Beastlords are great but they lacked ONE MAJOR THING in EQ1 that would have improved them tremendously....

They needed a spell that merged the beastlord with their pet.

Pets are pretty worthless at best and dangerous at worst in raids. 

Having a spell/talent that merged the two would not only give a real opportunity to show off the graphics in the game -- it would allow beastlords to have a non-pet class role in dungeons and raids.  It also solves some balancing issues.  It would also be "cool."

When merged the beastlord would acquire claws, speed, and agility -- attacking faster and for more damage than they do when not merged.  They could also have tracking/scent.  At any rate it would take the character from a pet class to a dps class.

Beastlords worthless in raids? Man do not know what you are talking about. With the right aa to make it so the pet does not agro on everything except what you want it too they are great.

It also depends on the player, if you have a player who has not bought the correct aa and does not understand the concept of pet push then yeah they can be tough.

• RsunDownpourRsunDownpour Member Posts: 31

*KEEP THE ORIGINAL EQ STYLE*

- open world dungeons (instances are horrible and ruin the feel of MMORPG. i pay 15 a month to interact with others not play a single player game in an instance)

- ORIGINAL classes, eq2 had wayyyy too many classes with a mixture of skills and functions.

- * * * * CORPSE RUNS / EXP LOSS * * * * the biggest issue i have with modern mmos is there is NO PENALTY for death! wow 10% item decay, theres absolutely ZERO detterant for dieing, eq1 made me SH!T my pants. you would have to run along the edge of the zone, dodge red KOS mobs and take extreme care when entering a dungeon. this is what made the game FUN and made you rely on grouping to some extent.... with no corpse runs or extreme penalty the sense of danger evaporates and the game becomes much easier and much less fun

- keep eq1 pre luclin, keep the danger, the exploration (no maps was awesome!), update the game to have a GOOD UI that is modern, and make questing yeild higher exp rewards... grinding with groups was slightly redundant but i believe this can be balanced out in the new game.

- GM events, nothing was more fun then logging into eq and seeing a gigantic snake in Nro slaughtering level 12s, or having the sky turn red and undead armies rising out of the ground in qeynos hills, or a swamp witch controlled by a gm in innothule swamp... these spiced the game up and made it feel alive. not like WoW where the same thing occurs every day almost

- FACTIONS, this was just awesome, make your choices, your quests and your kills tie into factions once again, make your choices matter... nothing was cooler then killing 3000000 gnolls with a necromancer and finally being able to enter qeynos gates.

www.RisingSunGaming.com
    #RisingSunGaming

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

lol you lot are gonna be so dissapointed when they launch EQ Next as a cash shop supported Freerealms with a fantasy skin :P

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by vesavius

lol you lot are gonna be so dissapointed when they launch EQ Next as a cash shop supported Freerealms with a fantasy skin :P

Noooooooooo!

Actually, if it looks like it is turning out that way, I just won't play. I mean, it would be nice to go back to a cool game set in Norrath, but it's not like there aren't other options around these days. Still, that's a pretty nightmarish scenario.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

If there is going to be a harsh death penalty .. Then mobs needs to be able to loot player corpses if no other combatant is around.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by LadyAlibi

Noooooooooo! Actually, if it looks like it is turning out that way, I just won't play. I mean, it would be nice to go back to a cool game set in Norrath, but it's not like there aren't other options around these days. Still, that's a pretty nightmarish scenario.

Yeah, I agree, but you have to remember SOE don't care about us anymore as oldschool fans of EQ, not when there is a huge potentiol market to be exploited of IMVU style super casual users that dont want to play for their in game rewards.

The players themselves are to blame thugh.... if they hadnt, as fans of what EQ once was, used the cash shop and shown SOE that so much money could be made from it with minimal effort then they wouldnt have gone down that route. Not only have the existing player base shown them they will tolerate it, they have shown them they will participate in it. This is a case of reaping what they have sown tbh :(

Why does SOE care of it loses you or me when it's overall revenue is way up?

I fully expect EQnext to embrace the cash shop mentallity 100%... think closer to EQ2X then classic EQ.

Ultra casual virtual knitting simulators with attached chat rooms and virtual market places are exactly where SOE want to be.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I'm cautiously optimistic.  Personally, the cash shop / LoN thing don't bother me as much as how good the content, the actual gameplay is.  I'm fine with having a cash shop on the side if they provide enough FUN content for me to dig through, and allow me to get enough goodies without having to fork over extra money.  I really don't care if people want to buy some special mounts and pets online, as long as there are plenty of mounts & pets ingame for me to get.

If you look at how WoW does it, Blizzard lets you get majority of the pets and mounts ingame, while selling limited exclusive items online.  Most of the playerbase can handle that, because they don't have to buy these new mounts and pets if they don't want to, there are plenty to get ingame.  This is also why players have embraced it and purchased a lot of it, made Blizzard rich pretty much.  Blizzard knows how to please gamers, and they know where the boundaries are so they strike an acceptable balance.

SOE on the other hand, creates majority of the mounts and pets in cash shops like the marketplace or LoN, while giving little ingame for people to obtain.  This in my opinion is why the cash shops in SOE games are frowned upon.  SOE doesn't understand how to please gamers, they know how to addict people to a gambling style of card games like LoN to suck money out of people.  And yes, cash shops / LoN are getting bigger in SOE games because they do make tons of money off it.  But the difference between Blizzard's playerbase and SOE's playerbase I think, is that SOE's playerbase have a love/hate relationship with SOE.  The hate is often on the cash shop part, and how SOE does not implement enough of these items ingame for people to obtain.

I think if EQ Next have fun, polished content for people to play.  And that they give you plenty you can collect ingame before loading them all up on the cash shops.  I think it'll be OK and people will be happy.  I know I'll be ok with cash shops if they learn how to follow Blizzard's steps.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

Originally posted by LadyAlibi

Noooooooooo! Actually, if it looks like it is turning out that way, I just won't play. I mean, it would be nice to go back to a cool game set in Norrath, but it's not like there aren't other options around these days. Still, that's a pretty nightmarish scenario.

Yeah, I agree, but you have to remember SOE don't care about us anymore as oldschool fans of EQ, not when there is a huge potentiol market to be exploited of IMVU style super casual users that dont want to play for their in game rewards.

The players themselves are to blame thugh.... if they hadnt, as fans of what EQ once was, used the cash shop and shown SOE that so much money could be made from it with minimal effort then they wouldnt have gone down that route. Not only have the existing player base shown them they will tolerate it, they have shown them they will participate in it. This is a case of reaping what they have sown tbh :(

Why does SOE care of it loses you or me when it's overall revenue is way up?

I fully expect EQnext to embrace the cash shop mentallity 100%... think closer to EQ2X then classic EQ.

Ultra casual virtual knitting simulators with attached chat rooms and virtual market places are exactly where SOE want to be.

Someone didn't pay any attention to fanfaire.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Originally posted by Loke666

I would like to see a mix of the best old features of EQ 1 & 2 (and VG for that matter) mixed with a new and more fun combat system.

EQ1 together with Meridian pioneered MMO combat and now almost everyone is using it. Time to pioneer again, give us a combat system that feels modern instead of 13 years old.

I like the guildhouses and playerhouses of EQ2 but EQ3 should renew itself. Kill the instances and let the players build houses and shopes in certain districts of the city (you can still instance the whole city as long as it is large enough).

And kill of the broker, have something to find who sells the ware you are after and then let the player go and shop it in a store or at a market place. The towns needs to feel more alive.

Also add gambling and stuff to do at inns so they not just be places were you get quests. Let us play dice or dart to a beer at the local tavern, it is easy to do and fun.

Add more non combat options and revamp the crafting system. Crafted items should be customized in all ways (like in APB).

I want this game to feel fresh and fun while you still recognize Norrath.

Oh, and I want guildhouses to be a lot more customized and I want rival guild to be able to siege each others houses if they want to.

I want a new game, not just EQ or EQ2 with better graphics.

Good post and great ideas.   I also agree with everything in the OP's post.  Most definitely want to see Derv Camp #3 (xRO? tunnel side of Oasis)  again -- met my RL wife there around 9 years ago.  We would love to spend some time there once again (besides those were some great camp sites for the level range) .

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

I just want to see the return to the varied combat tactics of the original EQ before the all of the moves to enforce the single method, tank and spank.

EQ was fun, you could typically make a group out of any combination of characters. Of course, tank and spank tactic could not always be applied but there was so much more that just this method to kill things.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Beastlords!!!!

• InkpuppetInkpuppet Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by dreamscaper

I didn't say PVP centric, I said design it with PVP in mind. You know, as in having the structure in place to support a solid PVP ruleset, for those that enjoy it - unlike Everquest and Everquest II.

As long as it is kept in the corner in the dark I'll be happy.  Duels are plenty enough for my tastes and for most the current EQ folks that I know that still play.