Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Development Update 1/12/11

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

Long term wounds looks very interesting.  I tried Mortal Online but didn't have the patience for all the bugs/glitches I encountered, and the general feel of  incompleteness in the game.  However, given time, I am hoping the game improves to the point where I will play again.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Nothing interesting there.

Bug fixes? server stability improvement? combat stability improvement? all of this is dejavu. They keep saying this stuff but in the end, its still glitchy and broken.

Some nice stuff would have been :

Many new monsters, including humanoid monsters

New loot system with real loot allowing you to get coin, armor, weapon and unique items on certain mobs

Many new lore based quests to discover all over Nave

New areas of the world

New dungeons

new armor and weapon sets

New racial attributes

New spells

New foliage system

etc etc

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by raff01
    Nothing interesting there.
    Bug fixes? server stability improvement? combat stability improvement? all of this is dejavu. They keep saying this stuff but in the end, its still glitchy and broken.
    Some nice stuff would have been :
    Many new monsters, including humanoid monsters
    New loot system with real loot allowing you to get coin, armor, weapon and unique items on certain mobs
    Many new lore based quests to discover all over Nave
    New areas of the world
    New dungeons
    new armor and weapon sets
    New racial attributes
    New spells
    New foliage system
    etc etc

I would think actually being able to hit other players and not getting hit by players you can't see would be a little more important that that stuff.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

I would think that the inability to see, or to accurately hit players on a consistent basis would be so fundamental a serious game wouldn't get released until it was fixed, and players certainly wouldn't be paying for it.

• shogunoneshogunone Member Posts: 85

I know the "desync" "interpolation" whatever you want to call it this week needs to be fixed.  Everyone is tired of getting killed by invisible people, or people hitting you from 20 fett away.   But yet again SV promised us last update they were going to work on PVE and actual content for the game.  All we got was a chess board and butchery and now it is going back to pvp. 

I also agree with syndic the pvp problems have been happening since beta.  We have no working dungeons yet or real loot to be had off of huminoid mobs.  NO ONE plays a fantasy MMO to get meat and skins.  More people would actually play the game and stay if there was to be something had from dungeon diving or a real econ. 

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

I am honestly amazed that people still are sticking with this game.

That said, it's kind of ironic they mispelled "Upcoming" too. But that's about the same error rate as their bug fixes, it seems.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Tymora

Long term wounds looks very interesting.  I tried Mortal Online but didn't have the patience for all the bugs/glitches I encountered, and the general feel of  incompleteness in the game.  However, given time, I am hoping the game improves to the point where I will play again.

I like the long term wounds concept, in that it really ties into a lot of other potential systems and professions.

I think the item system bullet was interesting as well, about which they had this to say:

"Item system" is the way we handle all our items, weapons and armor in the game in a proper way. Which means we have much better control of all items and can add a ton of new armor/weapon parts in a very fast and efficient way. It also means you will be able to identify items in a new way depending on what skills you char have.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/57641-under-development-updated.html#post1086183

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• MOstyleMOstyle Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

I am honestly amazed that people still are sticking with this game.

me too, but welcome back to MO.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

[quote]Originally posted by HerculesSAS
    [b][quote]
    pathetic.
    [/b][/quote]

hey ur posting @Mo have something in common whit the game :D

BestSigEver :P

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

For kicks I went back a few months and found this posting about Mortal Online Development Update 10/19 : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/295358/Mortal-Online-Development-Update-19-Oct.html

Upcomming:

· Fledgling flag

· New creatures & more spawns in Myrland

· GUI overhaul (flash)

· New "pickables"

· New player first experience "tasks"

· Final fishing system

· New dungeons

· Option to aim up, down and move siege weapons

· Increased storage space for keeps including a vault chest to keep tax money in

· Basic Alliance option

· Craftable Mount gear

· Mount weapons

· New weapon group: crossbows

· Texture optimization for players

· New armor sets

· Magic overhaul and new magic school

· Alchemy

It's funny to see how many of these items (the majority) are still not in the game, and better yet they aren't even listed on the new "under-development" section on the website anymore...

Or how about this one from Sep3 13th?

Week 3: September 13th

· Mount weapons

· New armor sets

· Basic Alchemy

· Epic Creature

· High resolution textures support

· New creatures

· New dungeon

· Fledgling flag

· Increased storage space for keeps including a vault chest to keep tax money in

Look familiar?

I guess my point is.. promises are great but actions speak louder than words.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

For kicks I went back a few months and found this posting about Mortal Online Development Update 10/19 : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/295358/Mortal-Online-Development-Update-19-Oct.html

Upcomming:

· Fledgling flag

· New creatures & more spawns in Myrland

· GUI overhaul (flash)

· New "pickables"

· New player first experience "tasks"

· Final fishing system

· New dungeons

· Option to aim up, down and move siege weapons

· Basic Alliance option

· Craftable Mount gear

· Mount weapons

· Texture optimization for players

· New armor sets

· Magic overhaul and new magic school

· Alchemy

It's funny to see how many of these items (the majority) are still not in the game, and better yet they aren't even listed on the new "under-development" section on the website anymore...

Or how about this one from Sep3 13th?

Week 3: September 13th

· Mount weapons

· New armor sets

· Basic Alchemy

· Epic Creature

· High resolution textures support

· New creatures

· New dungeon

· Fledgling flag

Look familiar?

I guess my point is.. promises are great but actions speak louder than words.

Hows that 64bit support coming along? The feature they lied about being implemented back in Oct?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aktietorget.se%2FNewsItem.aspx%3FID_News%3D56270%26Language%3D2

It should be obvious by now how SV really operates.

I win!!! LOL@U

• RuellisRuellis Member Posts: 48

Hows that 64bit support coming along? The feature they lied about being implemented back in Oct?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aktietorget.se%2FNewsItem.aspx%3FID_News%3D56270%26Language%3D2

They had inplementing the 64bit support but was unabled to patch it. It was made clear. MO made mistakes to overestimate its ability to deliver. But the game is progressing well, although slower than one would expect.

There were rumors that MO will be discontinued at the end of 2010. The rumor is still yet to be confirmed. Or maybe it is the end of 2011 or 2012? I am absolutely sure that Mortal Online will shut down some day in the future.

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by Ruellis

They had inplementing the 64bit support but was unabled to patch it. It was made clear. MO made mistakes to overestimate its ability to deliver. But the game is progressing well, although slower than one would expect.

There were rumors that MO will be discontinued at the end of 2010. The rumor is still yet to be confirmed. Or maybe it is the end of 2011 or 2012? I am absolutely sure that Mortal Online will shut down some day in the future.

I've heard that MO was shutting down so many times it actually feels like MO has been around longer than it has.  The same people here prophecied that MO would shut down before launch, a month after launch, after their first quarterly financial state, after their second quarterly financial statement, before the end of 2010...  To be fair, if they keep it up they will get lucky eventually... and you'd better believe they'll stick around until it does image

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by parrotpholk

At some point daddy will accept baby boy is not a businessman or a game developer and pull the plug on funding.

You're not even gonna commit to a timeline?  Come on, your missing the point of the game

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

If SV operated without a wealthy benefactor, it would be on it's last legs now. The next license payment to Epic would not be affordable (using their own figures for the number of subs needed to break even) and the business would fold.

However, since this is a vanity project funded by his family, it will end when Henrik's father decides to pull the plug. It could last for 100 years if his father wanted to continue to lose money, but somehow I think his patience will end when the bill from Epic comes in. The only person who really knows is not Henrik or SV, it's Henrik's father. But to say SV is doing ok financially from it's own returns is a misrepresentation of a company that does not generate enough revenue to continue it's existence without gifts of cash.

Originally posted by parrotpholk

At some point daddy will accept baby boy is not a businessman or a game developer and pull the plug on funding.

I agree the bady boy Henrik is not a game developer. But he is a damn good businessman. 

By the way, the game will be shut down after Coca Cola Company ceased to produce Coca Cola, which is scheduled May 2011. Without their favorite drink, developers will go mad and cannot do anything.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Yeah there is a lot of rumor mongering around it closing for sure.  it was "someone" who spoke with a "Dev" that said it was shutting down this last December :)

As far as the patch notes.  I had forgotten all of the things they had promised.  Normally someone would have defended it as being from IRC so not official but these were actual "upcoming" segments of the site.   They really need to pick something and do it.

Back to the OP.  The item system sounds great.  The only problem with adding more armour items etc at a "faster" rate is that Henrik had blamed some of the desych / lag in the past on all of the items having to be loaded when large groups are in the same area. . ie. you go to fight another guild and it has to send all the data for the hilt, shaft, materials, armour pieces, materials for the armour pieces etc. for each person near you.

I am still waiting for the "content" patch to try the game out again.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Betel

If SV operated without a wealthy benefactor, it would be on it's last legs now. The next license payment to Epic would not be affordable (using their own figures for the number of subs needed to break even) and the business would fold.

However, since this is a vanity project funded by his family, it will end when Henrik's father decides to pull the plug. It could last for 100 years if his father wanted to continue to lose money, but somehow I think his patience will end when the bill from Epic comes in. The only person who really knows is not Henrik or SV, it's Henrik's father. But to say SV is doing ok financially from it's own returns is a misrepresentation of a company that does not generate enough revenue to continue it's existence without gifts of cash.

It is not true. Henriks father had actually limited importance in financing the whole project. Most of the funding is through the stock market. The license payment to Epic is not as big as you believe. I think SVs largest expenditures are, in order of significance, sallaries, hosting, office, interests, license.

Investors judge a company not in the financial returns  today, but the future returns. There are many companies that lose hundred times more than SV and attract plenty of investors, like Spotfy or Skype. So as long as the players hang arround the investors hang arround. 

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Henrik owns the shares in name (before release no other person had more than 10%), are you suggesting he self financed the startup?

The other major shareholder listed is Fredrik Reimers, or to give him his full name - Fredrik Nystrom Reimers. He bought 200k shares and is the last major share transaction. The reaction from the stock market at large is disinterested and on a downward trend. That is the markets opinion on potential returns for SV stock.

I mention the Epic license cost as I am sure a rich businessman doesn't mind paying his son to keep him busy, but might object to having to pay Epic for the right to do so while the game is failing financially.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

Fredrik is Henrik's brother obviously, and the "financial" guy in the scheme. Though I'm not sure which particular university teaches their students about contacting people on Facebook about investing in SV.

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Originally posted by Betel

It is not true. Henriks father had actually limited importance in financing the whole project. Most of the funding is through the stock market. The license payment to Epic is not as big as you believe. I think SVs largest expenditures are, in order of significance, sallaries, hosting, office, interests, license.

Investors judge a company not in the financial returns  today, but the future returns. There are many companies that lose hundred times more than SV and attract plenty of investors, like Spotfy or Skype. So as long as the players hang arround the investors hang arround. 

Sorry, but if investors followed your guidelines then everybody would be broke today if they invested at all.

There is no way to judge a firm on "future" returns. It's current returns to date. In fact, in the US and EU, the standard to bring a company public is three consecutive quarters of positive earnings with a reasonable percentage, taking away debt and tax. Look up EBITDA. When you have firms that don't bother to care about earnings, you have what happened in the dot com bubble, where companies were taken public with no earnings to date, or a hugely negative cashflow problem. Those were the WebVans.com and Pets.com of the world.

Spotify and Skype have had many quarters of positive growth, and they early on relied on angel investors to get off the ground. StarVault's angel investor is Henrik's dad, and his pockets will go only so deep. And it shows, if Henrik's brother is out on Facebook trying to get investments into the company, it shows how dire the situation actually is for SV.

Most of the funding is through the stock market, but 32% of the outstanding shares were given to company insiders, mainly Henrik himself, and a few other key folks like Henrik's brother and Mats. We don't know who else got shares as part of an early deal, but it could be a high number.

All in all, smart investors don't care about the number of players. This is advertising. They care about raw numbers of profitability, and how sustainable that profit is over time. At the current point in time, I think we all know that SV isn't going to get any amazing returns on its investment, most of the non-insider trades for SV have been "sell" (albiet in small volume, likely the players who thought it was a good investment), and its future looks bleak. I can't say I blame Henrik and Co for reaching out on Facebook for investors, but given the state of the game, the quality problems, the lack of knowledge and experience of the staff as a whole, not to mention no cohesive strategy around player governance or managerial roadmaps, this game is running on borrowed time.

When Epic charges SV for a maintenence fee for the Unreal Engine is when you can say the game will have to stick a fork in it. Those fees are huge, and given SV's general attitude towards Epic, I don't think they are going to buy any discounts.

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

{Mod Edit}

It took henrik more then 2 years to get the opportunity to get the partners and fundings.

Other than that henrik run 10 other positions in the company, from leading ppl, human resource, payments, partner communication, server communication, head of the public listed company speaks person. and tons of more.

Current:

· Improved Server Stability

· Bug Fixing

· Node traversing improvement

· Pet control points

· Mini games additions

· More precise combat traces

· Added damage variation factor

· Improved player/mount hitboxes

· Improved player movement/prediction

· Risar invasion of Myrland

Upcomming:

· Trade tools

· Guild functions

· House/keep functions

· Long term wounds

· Item system

this is the current developement section and the reasoning behind  it is that sv have been changing their focus on stuff by the current trend of the majority of people playing the game.

way back it was pvp, reason why you see siege engine/alliance options etc so far back, they already worked on the systems but moved them back to work on stability and content and tools for the current content.

so they got long term wounds to counter zerging and they got the item system which will allow them to add more armours and stuff without putting a strain on the server and thus creating lag in battles etc.

as you can see trade tools are coming and then the guild fuctions aka guild alliance and also better system for siege engines is coming in, and of course they will be improving the minigame system and adding in more game peices because tarvans are coming in and also wagons that will work with sieges and help promote trading and butchery ingame with the help of trade tools that will allow people to find what they want and where it is located.

riser invasion is a unique major pve event to come for the pve lovers.

{Mod Edit}

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Originally posted by ange10

way back it was pvp, reason why you see siege engine/alliance options etc so far back, they already worked on the systems but moved them back to work on stability and content and tools for the current content.

so they got long term wounds to counter zerging and they got the item system which will allow them to add more armours and stuff without putting a strain on the server and thus creating lag in battles etc.

as you can see trade tools are coming and then the guild fuctions aka guild alliance and also better system for siege engines is coming in, and of course they will be improving the minigame system and adding in more game peices because tarvans are coming in and also wagons that will work with sieges and help promote trading and butchery ingame with the help of trade tools that will allow people to find what they want and where it is located.

riser invasion is a unique major pve event to come for the pve lovers.

Thank you for making my point for me.  Many of their previous promises have not been delivered on (almost all of them).  Those promises are carried over from one "Development Update" to the next and then eventually dropped off in place of new promises.   Everything you listed are simply more promises (with no implementation dates).  In light of the recent "dupe" scandal and the associated server rollback and "investigation" (which can be found in another thread) I think SV has an awful lot to do...

• CrucialCrucial Member UncommonPosts: 29

If you are creating a game or commercial application using UDK for sale or distribution to an end-user or client, or if you are providing services in connection with a game or application, the per-seat option does not apply. Instead the license terms for this arrangement are US $99 (Ninety Nine US Dollars) up-front, and a 0% royalty on you or your company's first   $5,000 (US) in UDK related revenue, and a 25% royalty on UDK related revenue above $5,000 (US).  UDK related revenue includes, but is not limited to, monies earned from: sales, services, training, advertisements, sponsorships, endorsements, memberships, subscription fees, rentals and pay-to-play.

http://udk.com/licensing.html

Not SO expensive as same people are saying.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Crucial

If you are creating a game or commercial application using UDK for sale or distribution to an end-user or client, or if you are providing services in connection with a game or application, the per-seat option does not apply. Instead the license terms for this arrangement are US $99 (Ninety Nine US Dollars) up-front, and a 0% royalty on you or your company's first   $5,000 (US) in UDK related revenue, and a 25% royalty on UDK related revenue above $5,000 (US).  UDK related revenue includes, but is not limited to, monies earned from: sales, services, training, advertisements, sponsorships, endorsements, memberships, subscription fees, rentals and pay-to-play.

http://udk.com/licensing.html

Not SO expensive as same people are saying.

That's for the UDK, not the engine.  The engine and royalties are far more expensive:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/Licensing.html

Royalty-Bearing License - For retail console & PC products

A non-refundable, non-recoupable license fee is due on execution of the agreement. The cost is US $350,000 for one of the available Unreal Engine 2 platforms, plus US $50,000 for each additional platform. A royalty of 3% is due on all revenue from the game, calculated on the wholesale price of the product minus (for console SKUs) console manufacturer fees. In the case of massive-multiplayer online games, the royalty is also due on the additional forms of revenue including subscriptions and advertisements.

Please note, this pricing is for the Unreal 2 Engine. Unreal 3 may be substantially higher. I would assume so, since it hasn't been publicly announced. The site also doesn't make any reference to annual maintenance fees, which can be expensive.

~Ripper