Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game list: if it is not free, like Guild Wars, don't say that it is free

In the game list I see lots of games with the msg at the end that the game is for free. But I have picked several websites of these games, and they say that you have to buy, only have a free trial with special key etc. So can we please get a game list where it only says that the game is for free, if it is really On Line, without the need to download, and you can play really for FREE (like Fallen Sword for example).

Thanks!

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The problem is that "free" can mean a lot of different things.  There are games with an extended free trial that want you to pay for the full game.  There's "buy to play" like Guild Wars, where you have to pay up front, but don't have to subsequently pay more.  There's "free to lose" item mall games where you can play forever for free, but will be seriously crippled as compared to people who do pay.  There are simple games (Solitaire type of stuff) that really are free, but tend not to be online games and don't advertise anywhere because they basically don't have a budget.  Free versus not free is too simple of a dichotomy to capture the various business models out there.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

< needs to learn to read posts >

< wtb "Delete Post" option, PST! >

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Guild Wars is as guilty of milking via a cash shop type model as any other F2P game.

• WertheWerthe Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Kabaal

Guild Wars is as guilty of milking via a cash shop type model as any other F2P game.

And so are EQ2, WoW, WAR...

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

I've wondered when someone was going to point that out but i didn't want to be the one getting called troll because they have no other answer for it.

The cash in GW2 will probably demand a need for use.

• WertheWerthe Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by travamars

I've wondered when someone was going to point that out but i didn't want to be the one getting called troll because they have no other answer for it.

The cash in GW2 will probably demand a need for use.

Like in GW1 ?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Guild Wars is not designed with cash shop in mind. Progress isnt made extra slow so they can sell xp potions for example. No gear with stats is sold. I dont see how its 'milking' via a cash shop.

Its very different from the asian F2P model.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Nah, I don't agree. There is nothing in their cash shop that improves your characters in any way, extra storage being the only thing remotely close but its hardly required. The skill sets for PvP you can buy are not the only way to get them (you can get them with PvE or PvP characters ingame) and the rest is just costumes and stuff people may have missed from collectors editions. Thats a good thing if you ask me; at least giving people the option to get previous exclusive items (all of which are useless at endgame).

You can play GW for years without needing or wanting to look at the cash shop. NOTHING in the game pushes you towards needing the micro transactions, WANTING a costume is a different thing altogether.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

GW1 is not GW2. Cant believe i actually had to say that but there it is.

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

Originally posted by Werthe

yup. But I see all the trolls completely avoided this one.

Don't forget Fallen Earth cash shop, and selling game cards in EVE! :)

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I agree that games such as Atlantica, Runes of Magic etc should be formally separated from games like Guild Wars. They represent very different payment strategies. At the moment the community goes with F2P and B2P and it works for the moment.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Explorium

His post was an answer to the topic of this thread.  if the topic would have said EQ instead of GW the same response would have been said. The troll card is getting old. When someones says something you dont like hear the real trolls pop up and yell "TROLL"

Try reading all of the posts then you can better understand what someone is saying. Or you can just yell troll if nothing better comes to mind.

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

After completing every single campaign and playing for years the only thing I've purchased from the cash shop was 2 character slots which I really didn't need to do.

I don't really play F2P games but it was my understanding that those games offered things in their cash shop like:  further progression content, xp potions, items, etc. that have gameplay benefits.

His post was an answer to the topic of this thread.  if the topic would have said EQ instead of GW the same response would have been said. The troll card is getting old. When someones says something you dont like hear the real trolls pop up and yell "TROLL"

Try reading all of the posts then you can better understand what someone is saying. Or you can just yell troll if nothing better comes to mind.

Yup. And you didn't read what I quoted. Not Werthe, but the other guy said "Guild Wars is as guilty of milking via a cash shop type model as any other F2P game."

Correct. But many pay to play MMOs (including like I mentioned, EVE) have a cash shop that milks players too. So, what point is there to say GW is as bad as other free to play MMOs, but forget to mention pay to play ones as well? Except to troll on GW and GW2 because GW2 is most hyped MMO coming out.

Yup. And you didn't read what I quoted. Not Werthe, but the other guy said "Guild Wars is as guilty of milking via a cash shop type model as any other F2P game."

Correct. But many pay to play MMOs (including like I mentioned, EVE) have a cash shop that milks players too. So, what point is there to say GW is as bad as other free to play MMOs, but forget to mention pay to play ones as well? Except to troll on GW and GW2 because GW2 is most hyped MMO coming out.

Uhh..the point is that the topic says GW. And they have a cash shop. So do many others but the topic says....GW. Dont be so quick to defend something that you get completly off topic.

Uhh..the point is that the topic says GW. And they have a cash shop. So do many others but the topic says....GW. Dont be so quick to defend something that you get completly off topic.

yes...GW has a cash shop. Most MMOs do...your (or the thread's) point? 

GW is free to play, buy it once and never buy anything again. None of the items affect (or is it effect?) gameplay like free to play MMOs (Allods). Its more free to play than EQ2 and LOTRO, and most other free to play MMOs

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

If every cash shop was as innocuous as Guild War's cash shop then I would in no way oppose cash shops, even in pay-to-play games.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Guild Wars isn't free. You have to acquire an account and that involves someone spending money on it.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions