Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs with destructible or interactive environments?

As title says...MMOs with a destructible environment?

First MMO I saw that did, was Auto Assault...destroying buildings, road posts, signs...everything pretty much was destructible. Tons of fun.

The next MMO I saw that took advantage of this was LEGO Universe...but to a lesser degree, but quite a bit of the lego structures can be destroyed. Lots of fun going around breaking stuff apart.

Both by the same company, funny enough.

Red Faction has destructible environments like AA had...but that isn't an MMO.

Any MMOs coming out that have destructible environments? Or is it all static stuff where you can't do anything with what you see around you? 

Oblivion (and Skyrim later on, and Morrowind before it) lets you interact with the environment...can't destroy things from what I can recall, but thats a major step up from most MMOs...but again, its only singleplayer. Same with Minecraft, and it has multiplayer, but again, not an MMO.

Why don't more MMOs outside the deceased Auto Assault and the current LEGO Universe not have more interactive environments?

Oh, there IS Haven and Hearth...if I recall, you can destroy villages and buildings, change the flow of rivers and clear whole forests...so I'll give some kudos to that one for interactive environments.

Not sure about Wurm, if there is something similar to that.

Any others? A lot of MMOs I've found just have stagnant environments where you can only interact with resources/npcs or other players...but not the landscape or even other buildings or signposts or anything. And you can't move objects like you can in Oblivion...see a book on a table? Can't move it or interact with it at all, unless its a quest item, but then it just becomes an icon in your inventory.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

Comments

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

City of Heroes implements destructible environments in a very limited scope. I have a blast playing my villains in mayhem missions - smashing cars and mailboxes and pretty much everything but the buildings themselves.

Sadly, that's the only place in the game where you'll find it.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Tried Vindictus?

Some people will argue that it isn't an mmo, but that's just because of the stage/instance based quests. It does however have some pretty nice options for defeating enemies, nearly everything can be broken or used to bash mobs with (even another mobs weapon lol), can even collapse some structures ontop or below things to kill or hurt them.

There are also traps in most levels, to either avoid or use to your advantage, some of which can be activated by using a lever but for the most part they are ussually always active obstacles.

Might be something worth checking out if you're just looking for something short term, it doesn't work well for a 24/7 mmo infact it's designed to prevent that, but as for a jump in jump out game it's great.

• GGordon27GGordon27 Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by just2duh

Tried Vindictus?

Some people will argue that it isn't an mmo, but that's just because of the stage/instance based quests. It does however have some pretty nice options for defeating enemies, nearly everything can be broken or used to bash mobs with (even another mobs weapon lol), can even collapse some structures ontop or below things to kill or hurt them.

There are also traps in most levels, to either avoid or use to your advantage, some of which can be activated by using a lever but for the most part they are ussually always active obstacles.

Might be something worth checking out if you're just looking for something short term, it doesn't work well for a 24/7 mmo infact it's designed to prevent that, but as for a jump in jump out game it's great.

I agree with this. Vindictus is probably what your looking for, as just2duh stated it is instance based, and you can either go the quests alone or join an existing boat party for a quest, in which most are up to 4 people, but there are raids, that will allow you to go up to 6, for some of the more powerful and dangerous bosses. Also it uses the Valve engine which most people know that its great for its physics. Oh and did I mention that your armor or clothing literally shows its wear and tear, what I mean by that is whatever your wearing will either have rips, and shredding if its cloth armor, and heavier armor will be broken into pieces and be hanging off of your character. So if  your in a dungeon and you begin taking a beating from the boss and your armor reaches a certain durability it "breaks", in return causes your defense to drop, so it wont protect you as much from those blows and hits. Just give it a try, I think you will like it, I'm on the East server by the name Eriph, if you have any questions please hit me up.

• KingGrowlKingGrowl Member UncommonPosts: 237

DCUO Has tons of stuff you can pick up, throw, destroy! It's a lot of fun, too.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by KingGrowl

DCUO Has tons of stuff you can pick up, throw, destroy! It's a lot of fun, too.

Pretty much this,  but you can even take it a step further,  pick up a truck and  use it as a weapon, then drop it and use it as a shield.  Turn your enemy into a block of ice and pick him up and use HIM as a weapon.   Street lights, stop signs, benches, cars, all destructible, and tons more.

• Samkin772Samkin772 Member Posts: 104

Horizons (Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted) was supposed to have this back in the day.  Of course, it promised just about every refinement possible and was going to be the "it" game to replace EQ.  What we got was a slightly updated EQ-clone with a very complex (and fairly well done) class system.  I know the devs really wanted players to be able to alter the landscape in as many ways possible (I vaguely remember the website promising that every tree could be chopped down, every rock could be moved, etc.). 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is fairly hard to make happen from a software standpoint, is it not?  I know Horizons had a rushed release, and was lucky to even hit the shelves at all, and this is one of the many features that had to get 86'd to get the game out (along with several of the race/factions, open world PvP, full loot, and much more).  And software aside, I wonder how it would really work in an MMO.  On the one hand, in an open world PvP, it could bring in a whole new element to the game - economic warfare (if you can't take out a rival guild's fort, you could still bring down the guild by wiping out their resources - burn down their forests, cave in mines, etc.).  But I could also see most MMO communities abusing it to the point where it becomes a hinderance to the game. /shrug - would still be cool to see it implemented full bore in a major MMO

• AbisbowaAbisbowa Member UncommonPosts: 91

Not that it makes much difference now, but if I remember correctly Auto Assault had destructible terrain and buildings.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

ArcheAge does but I'm not sure if it's a true mmo or not (could be a co-op type of game).  Tera has a limited amount in it's instance dungeons.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

It would be cool to have a fully destructable  game world including the environments/objects/mobs/players but there would have to be a system in place to prevent it from becoming a wasteland.