Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Estimated Release Date

Comments

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Amathe

The estimated release date for this "game" is never. I posted in 2007 that it was vaporware, and that it was being used as a marketing tool to sell a game engine.

The engine seems to be enjoying some success. But I don't play game engines. I play games.

I suspect some of the Devs never knew they were being used to make an ad instead of a real game, to be tossed aside when the ad part was done. But they can't say no one ever told them, because I did and they posted here how wrong I was.

I guess you can quote any game as vaporware and then after the event claim some form of credit. No great achievement but whatever makes you feel good.

I guess when a company is struggling with respect to cash flow they have to weigh up their options and make some money where they can, and selling the engine was just that. THe GameMasters and development approach is one Simmuronics have used before and those games released.

As to tossing people aside sounds grand , but in reality it is needs must and they did what they had to do. Making people who are providing free development resource redundant is bad it is even worse if you have to do it to paid people as well which they have had to is worse.

Making cheap I told you so jibes when people have lost jobs and all the good work and effort that went into HE being canned is a real real shame.  And I guess when you posted they didn't listen because you really aren't someone to be listened to.

• KenorvKenorv Member Posts: 112

The estimated release date for this "game" is never. I posted in 2007 that it was vaporware, and that it was being used as a marketing tool to sell a game engine.

The engine seems to be enjoying some success. But I don't play game engines. I play games.

I suspect some of the Devs never knew they were being used to make an ad instead of a real game, to be tossed aside when the ad part was done. But they can't say no one ever told them, because I did and they posted here how wrong I was.

They were never being used. In fact I'm sure that the devs knew full well that the possibility of the game never seeing the light of day existed when they signed up for their jobs. Do you really believe that they were naive to think otherwise? I really believe that Simu had every intention of releasing this game but we're in a terrible economy and Simu isn't that big of a company to begin with. They don't have the support of an EA or a Sony or Activision or some other big company to fund their projects. They have to fund their games on their own. When their income wasn't what they had hoped it to be they had to make a tough decision. Scrap development of the game and put all of their efforts into the engine. It's not like they wanted to, they had to. Why you make them out to be a bunch of lying jerks is beyond me.

I had my issues with how they handled the postponement/cancellation of the game so I don't want to sound like a hypocrite but I'm over that now. I've been over it for a while. I understand why they did what they did and I don't have a problem with it now. I'm just glad that their engine is being put to great use with TOR. From what I've read, a lot of the features that I was looking forward to in Hero's Journey will be in TOR so I'm very excited about that. I prefer the fantasy setting of Hero's Journey over the futuristic galactic setting of TOR which is why I wanted HJ to come out so badly but I can certainly live with TOR's setting. So instead of beating the same dead horse that you've beaten for 4 years now with HJ, we should be praising Simu for creating the game engine that has led to what looks like a tremendous game in TOR.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

My guild is still holding out for this game.  In fact, we have cancelled all our other MMO accounts; that's how confident we are.

• ValendrosValendros Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by pencilrick

My guild is still holding out for this game.  In fact, we have cancelled all our other MMO accounts; that's how confident we are.

Be confident all you want, but Simu hasn't had anybody working on the game since they laid them off about a year ago.

• ValendrosValendros Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 123

Success how? It's selling ya, but if it delivered on its main promise (MMO Development at LIGHTINING SPEED), we'd see a game out on it by now.

Originally posted by Valendros

Success how? It's selling ya, but if it delivered on its main promise (MMO Development at LIGHTINING SPEED), we'd see a game out on it by now.

Really and how do you work that one out ?

Hero Engine delivers what it says on the box , a little difficult to deny this. However much you try. You still need to develop a vast ammount of content and code features....... IT all takes time the engine just speeds it up.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

And what do the members of your guild do with themselves now that they have no game to play for the foreseeable future? Join other guilds?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by TheAesthete

And what do the members of your guild do with themselves now that they have no game to play for the foreseeable future? Join other guilds?

Do you just not GET sarcasm?

• ShadenShaden Member Posts: 12

A friend of mine worked for Simu and was laid off. What happened was that they were working on Hero's Journey, but realized how great the game engine was. The top management decided to start licensing the engine, and the game fell by the wayside.

I think they still have plans to release it, but not anytime soon. They just annouced HeroCloud, an indie developer version of Hero Engine. In the HeroCloud FAQ it states:

If HeroEngine is so great why haven’t you shipped Hero’s Journey?

Haven’t shipped?  What do you think HeroEngine is?  Seriously, HeroEngine started as the core of Hero’s Journey, and has taken on a life of it’s own.  We want to do Hero’s Journey right, but all our resources are currently focused on HeroEngine.  Don’t worry, we’ll get back to Hero’s Journey.  But in the meantime enjoy the fruits of our coding, design, and art labors as a start for your own awesome game!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

LMFAO this game started development in 1998 , bout 8- 10 months after UO release ....

Thinks its time to put this one to sleep dont ya think ...

Its been 12 years..

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

I still play gemstone off and on, and have since the mid 90s. However I will say that Simu doesnt have the best business sense. You think paying 50 bucks is bad for a sub? It costs $50 a ticket to get into certain "in game" events. Thats right, $50 bucks for a ticket plus the sub fee, in a MUD none the less. Apparently some people are still silly enough to pay that much, but I never have, and never will. This business model doesnt work very well, very few people actually paid the ticket price, and so they started doing less and less events. These people cant handle time tables they give for improvements their MUDs, let alone an actual MMO. We've been waiting for 10+ years for the monk class in gemstone to be released. And yet....they cant even do that in a decent time, how in the hell can you expect a bunch of volunteer workers to get HJ goin?

I used to be a Simu fan, bu t theyre hugely unprofessional on their best day.

Originally posted by Scorchien

LMFAO this game started development in 1998 , bout 8- 10 months after UO release ....

Its been 12 years..

Not at all and neither have Simu , they currently have other priorities. One of which is letting Bioware invest millions in their game which will undoubtedly improve the engine beyond what it was....

A good move all round.

Originally posted by Isane

Its been 12 years..

Not at all and neither have Simu , they currently have other priorities. One of which is letting Bioware invest millions in their game which will undoubtedly improve the engine beyond what it was....

A good move all round.

They have had other priorities for 12 years .... What does it take ...They (SImu) will NEVER release this as an in house MMO .. It will be lucky to ever see the light of day at this point ......12 years people , really what does it take tp realize it wont release..

Its been 12 years..

A good move all round.

They have had other priorities for 12 years .... What does it take ...They (SImu) will NEVER release this as an in house MMO .. It will be lucky to ever see the light of day at this point ......12 years people , really what does it take tp realize it wont release..

You are convinientley twisting this. The only real development for something tangible came with Hero Engine and the toolsets. Slight difference between a concept / development and delivery.

It doesn't matter if they or someone else involved in the Heroes Journey IP,  at a point in time when the ssituation is more suitable I think it will happen. NOt sure why you are shouting it is only a game. In a way the Hero engine is Heroes journey and the core system will be in any game using this engine. So we will get the benefit of this and at least one good fantasy MMO will come from this. And you are telling me they will re-write the whole piece I don't think so.

So realistically it will see the light of day in one form or another , if you don't like that well most people interested in HJ won't care what you think.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Over the many years I have heard every excuse in the book why this game is no closer to release.  Everything from it's so good it doesn't need a beta to the engine license money will enable them to make it now -  you name it.  Now that it's obvious the game is dead it's "oh because they are selling the engine that's kind of like getting to play Hero's Journey."  Give me a break.

My criticism of this company has never been based on any weakness in Hero's Journey as a game. I actually wanted to play the game because it looked very good, at least as a concept. And it's not because they haven't actually brought the game to market, because that can happen and does happen all the time.

It's because they lied. They knew this game wasn't going to release. They knew they couldn't go the distance and would have to use what little they had done to promote their engine product. And yet they kept marketing the game and telling everyone how well it was coming along. That was just to promote their engine.

Consider this quote from an interview with mmorpg.com in April of 2009:

"I was specifically told that Hero’s Journey is still a game in development and that they are now beginning to work as two separate teams: The engine development team and the game development team. Previously, everyone had been wearing two hats resulting in the slower development of HJ."

Just not true.

And now that their vaunted Hero Engine is making money for them, what did they do? Did they use any of that money to push forward with the game's development? No, they took their so-called game and bundled it with the software they sell as a demonstration of what the software can do.

And they're still lieing. On their website they have a FAQ where it states:

Q. When will Hero's Journey be released?

A. Hero's Journey is actively in production ....

No it isn't.  Their own former employees have said so.

So while some may rationalize, make excuses and insult the poster who points out the emperor has no clothes, the fact is this game is dead and has been for a very, very long time.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Its been 12 years..

A good move all round.

You are convinientley twisting this. The only real development for something tangible came with Hero Engine and the toolsets. Slight difference between a concept / development and delivery.

It doesn't matter if they or someone else involved in the Heroes Journey IP,  at a point in time when the ssituation is more suitable I think it will happen. NOt sure why you are shouting it is only a game. In a way the Hero engine is Heroes journey and the core system will be in any game using this engine. So we will get the benefit of this and at least one good fantasy MMO will come from this. And you are telling me they will re-write the whole piece I don't think so.

So realistically it will see the light of day in one form or another , if you don't like that well most people interested in HJ won't care what you think.

LMAO shouting.... de de deeeehhh   its not shouting friend .. its called the Truth .. entiely up to you wether you want to subscribe to it ...

Simu started development for HJ in 1998 and have never stuck to anything they have said , I once had high hopes for this game more than once for many years .... 12 years is a very long time for a "GAme"...and once again a year ago they bailed on there own project , The HJ core system is not what many wanted they wanted what Simu promised in there game .. they failed again ... History has repeated itself enough for any normal person to know when enough is enough with Simu and HJ ...

FAct is like i said HJ there in house project will never see the light of day , at least learn to comprehend what i wrote ...

• ButterflyWstButterflyWst Member Posts: 2

Hahahahahaha!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

OMG how can people be so frigging GULLIBLE!

Simu's been lying to its customers for twenty years now.  There's hardly been a deadline they've managed to keep, and hardly a deadline that hasn't been pushed back months or years.  There are large parts of its flagship game that haven't been finished for EIGHTEEN YEARS.

And so some of you chumps still think that after this game's been "in development" for over a dozen years and after all of its staff was let go over a year ago that (a) some corporate savior's going to step in out of the goodness of its heart and throw millions at this has-been bucketshop company to finish it and (b) David's not just going to pocket the change and bail?

How stupid can you get?

Tell me ... what makes any of you think this game's ever coming out?  Because they got some staff artists to whip up some concept art and called it "screen shots?"  Because you wish it will very, very badly?  Because you've been defending SImu for years and you don't want to look like gullible mooks?

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/thelysardfiles for the things SIMU DOESN'T WANT YOU TO SEE!

• khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756

Originally posted by ButterflyWst

Hahahahahaha!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

OMG how can people be so frigging GULLIBLE!

Simu's been lying to its customers for twenty years now.  There's hardly been a deadline they've managed to keep, and hardly a deadline that hasn't been pushed back months or years.  There are large parts of its flagship game that haven't been finished for EIGHTEEN YEARS.

And so some of you chumps still think that after this game's been "in development" for over a dozen years and after all of its staff was let go over a year ago that (a) some corporate savior's going to step in out of the goodness of its heart and throw millions at this has-been bucketshop company to finish it and (b) David's not just going to pocket the change and bail?

How stupid can you get?

Tell me ... what makes any of you think this game's ever coming out?  Because they got some staff artists to whip up some concept art and called it "screen shots?"  Because you wish it will very, very badly?  Because you've been defending SImu for years and you don't want to look like gullible mooks?

A fair assumption, I suppose. You may want to be careful about how liberally you throw around the insults to hopeful fans however. Things change; trust me, and you don't want to end up lookin like the "mook". ;)

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Really to bad about this. Though since we are talking about SIMU it really isnt a surprise. I think the perfectionist in David bit him in the backside and by the time they were able to really move on it time had passed them by, again. I've always considered David/Simu to be one of those guys/Companies who was/is successful in spite of themselves.

What he was trying to accomplish I think was a worthy concept, one that would have and from what we read in regards to Heroes Engine will vastly improve mp-rpgs. Giving GMs tools to work with and interact with players in real time is one of the things that made the text based mp-rpgs so much better then stand alone rpgs. Heck I like to blame Simu and Kesmai for ruining my ability to enjoy stand alone games. :) I like player interaction so stand alone games I find boring after a short while.

Anyhow I do hope that some time in the future Simu does manage to put out a good graphical based game on even their GS or DR worlds. One where there is more role-play, policy enforcement and quality game play. I find myself always missing what we had with those games as far as quality of the interaction with staff and players and a more immersive game world. I tend to laugh at the things I used to find myself getting irked about in the old days with GS or DR in regards to ooc or oog, when I compare it to what I see daily in WoW, AoC or LotRO etc. Immersion? Role-play? Lol foreign concepts for the majority of players in those games. The first time I read a guild talking about how they scheduled role-play etc in WoW some years ago I had a good chuckle. Scheduled? You mean you dont keep IC (In Character) all the time in public and try to role-play most interactions? Keeping ooc and oog stuff to private mediums like whispers/tells and mail? Or private chat channels?

That was my big wake up that these games were not being played like how we used to play multi player online role playing games or table top role playing games for that matter. Massive Multi Player Online Role Playing Games are a different beast. Sadly some of the magic is gone from them because of this though.  Which is why I held such hope for SIMU to come out with HJ, so that those of us who wanted a continuation of that type/style of gaming could do so. 

So just like my dream that some day George R.R. Martin will finish his book series or even publish the next one, I to hope that some day that I'll read a news article about Simu going open beta on a graphical mmo rpg. I just dont stress over either happening or not happening.

Jim/Celtar

• khanstructkhanstruct Member UncommonPosts: 756

"Neil Harris has completed the sale of the HeroEngine business to Idea Fabrik! Our team remains in place and we're eager to explore the future."

~Facebook

*innocent whistle* ...just sayin. Things happen.image

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

I like how this one post has been the

General Discussion

for the past few mounths. I guess why make a new post when we have so few!

• ButterflyWstButterflyWst Member Posts: 2

Yeah, well, my last post got deleted - for "excess negative comments."  Looks like some people don't want to hear the truth, when the truth hurts.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/thelysardfiles for the things SIMU DOESN'T WANT YOU TO SEE!

Yeah, well, my last post got deleted - for "excess negative comments."  Looks like some people don't want to hear the truth, when the truth hurts.

THe Engine is being used to develop one if not the biggest AAA MMO of all time. I guess that is a failure in your eyes, for me the SWTOR MMO will display may of the features HJ had so I get to see the mechanics. If someone subsequently decvides to finish the core HJ game off and release it even better.

I guess the truth does hurt and the truth is that everything that HJ stood for is being released as the core of one of the biggest AAA MMOs every delivered.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

THe Engine is being used to develop one if not the biggest AAA MMO of all time. I guess that is a failure in your eyes, for me the SWTOR MMO will display may of the features HJ had so I get to see the mechanics. If someone subsequently decvides to finish the core HJ game off and release it even better.

I guess the truth does hurt and the truth is that everything that HJ stood for is being released as the core of one of the biggest AAA MMOs every delivered.

Setting aside the fact that Bioware essentially used a fraction of the HE tools, and most likely none of the rendering system, which as far as I am concerned is a total joke, I took HE training in St louis, and found it to clearly years out of date. there is no doubt the collaboration tools are good and extremely useful from a standpoint where you have a large team which requires a cohesive organization that requires alot of efficiency and quick turn arounds for features inputted. But for $1 million price tag i find it to be a joke with clear alternatives that are both cheaper, and are by far better from a Technology stand point such as rendering systems, API, coding/scripting and numerous other backend software solutions that kick HE to the curb. the HE cloud system was a clear stab at gaining more ground whereas their silly ass price tag did not work, and they were millions in the hole when they were bought by IF. to me there are far better solutions to chose vs HE. then again that's just me.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

Originally posted by nakuma

Setting aside the fact that Bioware essentially used a fraction of the HE tools, and most likely none of the rendering system, which as far as I am concerned is a total joke, I took HE training in St louis, and found it to clearly years out of date. there is no doubt the collaboration tools are good and extremely useful from a standpoint where you have a large team which requires a cohesive organization that requires alot of efficiency and quick turn arounds for features inputted. But for $1 million price tag i find it to be a joke with clear alternatives that are both cheaper, and are by far better from a Technology stand point such as rendering systems, API, coding/scripting and numerous other backend software solutions that kick HE to the curb. the HE cloud system was a clear stab at gaining more ground whereas their silly ass price tag did not work, and they were millions in the hole when they were bought by IF. to me there are far better solutions to chose vs HE. then again that's just me.

A shame that Bioware took the toolset and apear to disagree with you. And sadly I tend to feel that when deciding who I will side with Uhm yopurself or Bioware let me see, yes I think Bioware edge it.

Sad that you wasted your time in ST Louis.