Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next beta event can't come fast enough!

2»

Comments

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

I agree, I wish the betas were longer :)

Overall I found it an insane amount of fun watching mobs zerg around and then the people on the fly forming a zerg to take them out.  For a PVE focused gamer, its about the most fun I've had in a long time.  Lots of exp, lots of dying, lots of loot, and an overall great time.

My only worry is that will there be enough to keep that type of gameplay sustained after release?  Like down the line several months, will there still be random raids formed in the newbie areas to clear out invasions? or will it just be high level folks clearing house...The balance will be interesting to hear about in the future, but ftm - couldnt be more fun.

• BubafatsBubafats Member Posts: 52

Don't get me wrong, there was a lot i liked about Vanguard. But it just had too much work that needed to be done on it and no resources too do the work. Honestly i would agree with you, would love to see some one fix it and make it the great game any one that played it knows it could be. But instead we just more cookie cutter crap , like this game here. 

P.S. me liking vanguard does not change the fact thats it not EQ.

• ZYNCZYNC Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Yauchy

I agree, I wish the betas were longer :)

Overall I found it an insane amount of fun watching mobs zerg around and then the people on the fly forming a zerg to take them out.  For a PVE focused gamer, its about the most fun I've had in a long time.  Lots of exp, lots of dying, lots of loot, and an overall great time.

My only worry is that will there be enough to keep that type of gameplay sustained after release?  Like down the line several months, will there still be random raids formed in the newbie areas to clear out invasions? or will it just be high level folks clearing house...The balance will be interesting to hear about in the future, but ftm - couldnt be more fun.

Exactly what I was thinking. The server wide invasions..were really fun and tons of EXP. 

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by Emhster

Originally posted by BizkitNL

I wonder how many of you keep saying these things about mediocre games, only to be dissapointed after a while and move on to the next "hit" and saying the same :).

I haven't seen many games where the feedback were that positive. After few games like AoC, WAR, Aion, FFXIV... Sure I read few negative posts here and there; The biggest complain being "nothing new" (which in my mind sounds burned out-ish).

Even some posters who used to have negative feedbacks during the first beta events are changing their mind...

Well, all games have their pros and cons, people liking and disliking them. Im just seeing people using arguments that don't make sense to me, like "This genre isn't for you".

Anyhoo, the developers never stated they would turn the genre upside-down. They were clear on that. People just assume it because its a new game. So I went into the beta knowing this fully well. From beginning to end, through multiple phases, I had a constant "been there, done that" feeling, but in a new setting with some new stuff thrown in here and there.

I just dont understand why people would pay 50 euros for something weve all seen before (Aside from rifts). Not counting the monthly fee obviously. Its not my place to judge people on this, but I sure as hell will throw my opinion out there :).

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Originally posted by Emhster

I wonder how many of you keep saying these things about mediocre games, only to be dissapointed after a while and move on to the next "hit" and saying the same :).

I haven't seen many games where the feedback were that positive. After few games like AoC, WAR, Aion, FFXIV... Sure I read few negative posts here and there; The biggest complain being "nothing new" (which in my mind sounds burned out-ish).

Even some posters who used to have negative feedbacks during the first beta events are changing their mind...

Well, all games have their pros and cons, people liking and disliking them. Im just seeing people using arguments that don't make sense to me, like "This genre isn't for you".

Anyhoo, the developers never stated they would turn the genre upside-down. They were clear on that. People just assume it because its a new game. So I went into the beta knowing this fully well. From beginning to end, through multiple phases, I had a constant "been there, done that" feeling, but in a new setting with some new stuff thrown in here and there.

I just dont understand why people would pay 50 euros for something weve all seen before (Aside from rifts). Not counting the monthly fee obviously. Its not my place to judge people on this, but I sure as hell will throw my opinion out there :).

Not everybody is looking for innovation. For most of us that's a meaningless phrase. Fun can come in all different shapes and sizes. It doesn't have to have a revolutionary tag on it for it to be.

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

Originally posted by Rockgod99

It's a fun game. That's all it needs to be. My fellow old school players that can't seem to have fun with a game unless it's dripping with innovation need to leave the genre already. Why stick with a genre if your miserable? It's obvious noone will cater to you. Get the hint and go.

QFT^ There are some of those old school gamers you are talking about in this very thread. I am an old EQ vet my self and Rift is great fun to me. Good to see we aren't all getting grumpy in our old age.

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

People waste 40 bucks on the new WoW expansions which barely bring anything new to the game except a brand new gear grind treadmill, now that I don't understand.

I would much rather spend 50 dollars and buy an entire new package, which might not be totally different from a game mechanics point of view but at least introduces a new world with a fresh start (MMO's 90% of the time are always the best at the start).

• zasdzasd Member UncommonPosts: 45

I keep seeing all of this talk about innovation and all we get is the same thing that has been done over an over...  it made me think... automobiles as we know them today are about 100 years old, yet they are all basically the same and we buy millions of them every year just because they they add a number to the year and tweak a few things...

Televisions... they went 720p and millions just had to have them... then 1080p... now 3D... yet they still show they same crappy content they did before but now in life-like 3D clarity... wooo....

Really everything "New" is just a clone of the "Old" Model with a few tweaks here and there... we are stupid beasts and like Lemmings we continue on like little kids seeing snow for the first time...

I used to play UO and when I got bored I was always looking for a game with that feeling, then it was EQ and pre-ToA DAoC... a little Warhammer too... but this past weekend I had the same "fun" I had back in my days in  UO, EQ, DAoC.  Really having fun is what its about anyway...

I must ask....

How many ways can you design a hotbar thats innovative....?  its a bar thats basically linked to your top row of keys...

How many ways can you place a Chat box, Mini-map, hotbar, ect. on the screen and keep it innovative?

I can think of more but why...? "them people" complain about how nothing is "innovative" yet they themselves can not come up with specific ideas to do things differently. 

just my 2 cents

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by ViewDoo

Originally posted by Rockgod99

It's a fun game. That's all it needs to be. My fellow old school players that can't seem to have fun with a game unless it's dripping with innovation need to leave the genre already. Why stick with a genre if your miserable? It's obvious noone will cater to you. Get the hint and go.

QFT^ There are some of those old school gamers you are talking about in this very thread. I am an old EQ vet my self and Rift is great fun to me. Good to see we aren't all getting grumpy in our old age.

I think GW2 and whatever MMO 38 Studios produces in 2012 or 2013 may begin to advance the genre with some innovation. I don't think we're going to see holodecks in our lifetimes which is what some gamers seem to be asking for...without ever describing how THEY would get us there. When challenged they will argue it's not their problem, they're just players/consumers and insist on something that's "not boring."

Yes I like Rift, I have my issues with it but for me at least it's been greater than the sum of its parts. In others words, for me it's fun. Some gamers can yawn away...not a problem really, to each their own. I honestly would someday though like to see a game produced by all the yawning vets for which nothing is ever good enough anymore. /rant off