Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I havent played but

DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231

From what i gather this game is not for a true MMO'er right? seems more fit for a console?

from what ive read and movies ive watched just seems like lack of skills and no need for grouping?

and i assume there is no monthly fee for the PS3?

also it seems it is what people are calling a "button masher" which is hard to do with a mouse so more suited for a controller as well?

Comments

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

1: What the hell is a true "mmo'er" does that mean that only PC users get to be "mmo'ers" ?  cause that's stupid.  I play almost exclusively on the PC, and that's just a goofy statement to make.

2:  I don't know the answer to your actual question, I just think you need to expand your definitions of "mmo'er"

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231

What i meant by True MMO'er is the indepth gameplay not just the ability to use a few buttons on a controller

in most MMO's you have an action bar that you would keep 20 abilities on at any given time. not 2 specials and 2 normal attacks

a game where you have to know your "class" to play not one where all the classes are essentially the same with diffrent graphics.

leaning twoards the Console what i mean was it seems the game is more of an action type game then a traditional mmo thats all.

in other words someone with a keyboard and mouse most likely would not enjoy the game as opposed to someone with a controller.

like i said i havent played just what i have gathered.

• svbrucey23svbrucey23 Member Posts: 32

This isn't what i'd call a console game, this is more of an action mmo like APB, not your willy nilly "Faceroll your attacks to see the after effects" game like what most people here are complaining. Now, it is nothing close to APB and will do way better than APB, but it fits the action mmo category,which is why people are bothered by this. They want DC Universe to be something it's not.

• DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231

Which i dont mind. what im worried about is being able to move around while clicking with the mouse. it almost sounds like someone on the PS3 may destroy someone on the PC in pvp  because of the controls if you have to use the mouse to turn and attack while on the PS3 they can use the joystick while pressing B =/

or are the servers going to be seperate?

• Frets91Frets91 Member Posts: 4

Alot of people consistently perform better in twitch-based FPS games using mouse/keyboard inputs than people using joysticks on the controllers.

I dunno why you'd think the thumb joystick could be more precise than a mouse =/

EDIT: And yes, I'm pretty sure the servers are seperate.

• AndelithAndelith Member UncommonPosts: 20

Yes the servers are seperate, and you can use a controller or keyboard/mouse on either PC or PS3, you move with WASD keys on the keyboard and use you combos with the mouse,your power tray corresponds with 1-8 on your keyboard by default.

The game controls alot like Global Agenda mouse to aim and fire and keyboard to move.

• RaikoLivesRaikoLives Member Posts: 89

I haven't played either, yet, but it looks like (and people are saying that) it's an MMO but with more DIRECT control over your cahracter and their actions in combat. You can perform combos rather than just your hotkey'd powers, so while you CAN just mash your buttons, like in Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken or whatever, the people who'll be GOOD at it DON'T just mash but LEARN the game/controls. Just like in MMOs your powers have better times to use them than others, just now you've got combos of your basic weapon abilities to add to the timing as well.

Don't worry too much about it not being your "typical" MMO. It has quests, PVP, skill trees, an ongoing subscription fee, more content coming (promised, anyway) and (yes) grouping/multiplayer opportunities.

And there IS a monthly fee for the PS3 users. Just to clarify that point.

• Jaxon26Jaxon26 Member Posts: 23

I played in both the PC and PS3 betas and here are my thoughts

The PC version is much easier to handle with a controller. I appreciate that people want to mouse/keyboard it - I'm the same way. I've been playing PC games since things like X-com but using the controller is just a better fit for this game. You can either embrace it or resist it but it doesn't change the fact. 

The reason that the controller is a better fit is b/c, while it can be played as a button masher, skill will win. I frequently beat higher level NPCs and PVPers by using the skilled moves. For example - in Martial Arts tap-tap-hold on square (I think but don't hold me to it) did a kick to the head that stunned the player for 3-5 seconds which opens up the window to do another skilled move. Think of it in terms of other mmos - you wouldn't just use auto-attack to win a fight and that is exactly what button mashers are doing (except not winning against someone who is skilled)

Skilled players will win but it's not the same type of skill as say WOW. In WOW, you hit your hot keys and go to it - DCUO is much faster paced - you have to be able to think on fly, look a situation and know the move sequence (button sequence) that you want to open with and use throughout the fight. It's not just 1,2,4,3,1,2,4,3 but more like taptaphold, hold, taphold

All of the above is simply fighting (which would just be auto attack in WOW) then you mix in your other skills. So for example, a fight for me may look like Taser Pull (pulls enemy to you and stuns), uppercut with knockback, stun kick, uppercut with knock back, Taser Pull, fear gas (stun and fire) and so on. 

As an avid MMO player (you name it, I've probably played it) I can tell you that this is not a game that you master immediately. There is no skill in WOW when you press buttons to attack - the skill comes in knowing what to use when. In DCUO you can be a WOW-like player and button mash while throwing in some specials or you can learn the moves and become better. It kinda works in layers like that. 

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by justtires

From what i gather this game is not for a true MMO'er right? seems more fit for a console?

from what ive read and movies ive watched just seems like lack of skills and no need for grouping?

and i assume there is no monthly fee for the PS3?

also it seems it is what people are calling a "button masher" which is hard to do with a mouse so more suited for a controller as well?

The game is, indeed, not a traditional MMO.

The game is, also, more suited for controller from my subjective opinion.

There is indeed a call for skill and a need for grouping in nearly all the end game content and a few select missions while leveling.

Yes, there is a monthly fee for the PS3.

And yes there are seperate PS3 and PC servers. They will not be able to interact.

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by justtires

What i meant by True MMO'er is the indepth gameplay not just the ability to use a few buttons on a controller

in most MMO's you have an action bar that you would keep 20 abilities on at any given time. not 2 specials and 2 normal attacks

a game where you have to know your "class" to play not one where all the classes are essentially the same with diffrent graphics.

leaning twoards the Console what i mean was it seems the game is more of an action type game then a traditional mmo thats all.

in other words someone with a keyboard and mouse most likely would not enjoy the game as opposed to someone with a controller.

like i said i havent played just what i have gathered.

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if this has already been clarified. you have 6 power slots for your powers. In a powerset you choose between 2 trees. As an example if you pick mental you'll have access to a teleknesis and a illusion tree. The rest of it is by your fighting style which comes complete with combos that have different status effects. They are not overly involved combos (except for the very end of the staff tree) and they only involve the left and right click of the mouse. So as you unlock the combos you need to use them in certain circumstances. As an example using my hand blaster's fighting style :

holding right click  is a block breaker attack if your opponent uses a block and you use a blockbreaker they will be stunned for  a short time.

holding left click is a lunge attack if your opponent tries to roll out of the way he will be stunned for a short time.

L, L, L, Hold L is a knock up attack which I feel is self explanatory.

So its not a simple button masher. What alot of people don't seem to get is that you don't just mindlessly mash the buttons when donig the combo its about timing. So using my knock up example you can't just keep mashing left click and then hold right click. You are timing it with the animation if you do so you'll find its very easy to play with keyboard and mouse. Personally I perfer it as it gives greater control then a ps3 controller does.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

What the hell is...   a true MMO'er?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I think that was meant to be Traditional not true.

The game will have a great appeal to those who like the mortal combat and streefighter types of combat games.  It has a FEEL of those with some MMO stuff tossed in the mix to keep the long term play more viable.

In other words, you would be bored to death if you had all of your abilities form the get go.  The ability to customize which powers you use and add them as you level gives you ample time to "Learn" the skill and how when to use it.  Just like a traditional MMO.  

The challenge comes into not just knowing when and what skill to use but, remembering how and the abilitiy to pull off this skill combo.  To be honest, there is a kind of rythem to the combat flow.  If you get the rythem going you can chain massive combos together for devestating effects.  Even on PvP and not just PvE.  PvP challenges feel like going up against a boss mob.  While not as simple as the computer AI you do not automatically get ganked by someone you come across.  Ok, maybe if there is like a 5-10 level difference at the lower levels. 

Mouse/kb vs. Game pad.  I would agree that gamepad would prolly be the preferred controller here.  I have only played it with the mouse and KB so it is definately doable.  The BIIIIG issue with my control is the mouse speed.  With the mouse you are looking at 2-7 buttons ( normally) for mapping.  Also, the mouse clicks are really alot faster ( IMHO ) than button mashing with your thumb on a gamepad.  So, this means to be effective in combat you REALLY have to slow down on the clicking in the game.  It is not click clickclickclick click.  It is more of a click pause click click pause click-hold click pause click.  Takes a bit to get used to but the rythem is definately there and not quite as fast as you would expect or can pull off on a mouse. 

The one thing that keeps me from embracing a game such as this is the fact that it is a TWITCH based game play.  Fairly well executed I might add.  I have not grouped much in the game but, the combos and twitch style tend to elevate my stress level in playing the game.  Getting frustrated on missing the timing or someone blocking and ruining that timing to me is more frustrating than in a traditional MMO where the strategy is more mental and knowing when to use the skills in which order.  Traditional MMO's have artificial time constraints in the game to manage combat.  Most ( there are some timers on some skills ) of the combat in this game does not have that.

So, while I think it is a very good execution and I have high hopes for the game.  I will not be playing it or picking it up unless it is like included in a game pass and I even decide to subscribe to that.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.