Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift takes a dig at WoW in new trailer may the battle begin ?

14567810»

Comments

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Hyperfish

...comparing themselves with Wow does them no favours unless they release flawlessly, which isn't going to happen.

I don't know, for only being in closed beta they are in pretty good shape.  Unless they really mess something up between now and launch I think they are looking at a pretty smooth takeoff.

It's in a heck of a lot better shape than WoW was at launch, and it's still in beta.  I don't remember WoW working nearly this well with 6 or 7 weeks left in closed beta...

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by Warbs

Originally posted by Kothoses

They are right.... its more like outland.

Sorry Trion, I had high hopes for you but my VIP beta ticket has convinced me not to order, your game is too much of the same old seen it before with nothing unique.  The "story" is negligable (most of the interesting lore takes place on the website so far) the questing is dull and very much like TBC questing but with far fewer quests per hub. 

The design for Rifts was terrible basically scoring you based not on your input not on your healing, tanking, dps not even on activity but simply on how many mobs you tagged that were eventually killed.

Its a game that looks stunning but feels horribly out of date once you get past that.

I shall carry the flame of ToR and GW 2 and hope beyond hope that they will prove to deliver a new take on the familiar, not just a rehash of it.  The Fundamentals of MMO gaming is fine it just needs more unique aspects and different ideas.  Unfortunately aside from shiney graphics and a good QA department, Rift doesnt offer anything new.

I hope they do well simply to prove that releasing a fully functional MMO from day 1 IS the way to go and that it WILL do better than a half finished job, but sadly its not the game for me. 

Judging the game via the first 20 levels...you have not even seen PvP the raids you have seen 2 dungeons@max

Ive played wow, AoC, Warhammer online, EQ 2, Vanguard, FFXI and the beta for FFXIV (Called that one as being crap too) and Lotro.... and nothing so far in Rift is new or exciting.

I hope people do enjoy it because the QA values are what should be applied to EVERY GAME that is ever released but the game its self is nothing new or exciting.

So yes I am judging it on having played it, sampled it, this whole "beta" is nothing more than a pre-release marketing endevour anyway.  Also the early areas of any mmo the ones they offer in the inevitable free trials are always designed to be hooks, so if I am not hooked after leveling to 20 twice and playing a couple of dungeons, I doubt anything that comes beyond will hook me.  I can say this because everything this game has, has been done to death before.

I am quite sad actually, I really wanted rifts to compete with ToR and Tera for my sub for the next year or two... but it wont, it will sell well, look great to start with but unless Trion are holding back on some major new stuff, it will not retain subscribers simply because there is a difference between "Familiar" and "Clone".

• SinnSinn Member UncommonPosts: 93

Has people talking about it like wild fire surging through the internet non stop so that is pretty good for them

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Why all the red faces of WoW fan base, why so angry, why lie about not leaving WoW for just a min to try a new world, why the hate on something that is so good? See you all in beta suckas, yay!!!!!

• bigd525bigd525 Member Posts: 32

LOL WOW has become a run-of-the-mill average in every way MMO, but its cool you don't need to give this great game a try we don't want the wow QQ babys f-ing this game up anyways. See you in beta and going to rock your socks off lol.

• bonomorkbonomork Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Snesso

To everyone saying no WoW player will ever switch to Rift, well you are wrong, been a loyal Blizzard fan for almost a decade, been playing WoW since 1.4, seen all possible raiding content, vanilla Naxx included, and I'm goddamn tired of it,. They started losing control of their own game after TBC came out, and WotLK completetly ruined it, was hoping for some changes in Cataclysm but I guess its too late to fix things up now, Even Blizzard knows it, since they are working on a new, fresh MMO. Hope they will learn from their fails, at least.

So I'll be playing Rift instead. Sure, it does look like a WoW copy, but remember that WoW itself copied everything it has from other games and simply made them better. Still, this looks way better than most of the MMOs that came out the past years, trying to throw blizzard off of its throne, so I'll be betting all into this. And if it will fail, well, no way I'm going back to WoW, thats for sure.

same here.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

This is beyond sad. Next thing will be "Hey, you don't need to spend hours, days, years of your life fishing for that turtle mount in WoW, we give you one from the get go and added a second head FTW"

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by SpandexDroid

This is beyond sad. Next thing will be "Hey, you don't need to spend hours, days, years of your life fishing for that turtle mount in WoW, we give you one from the get go and added a second head FTW"

This is now my excuse to my wife for her to play, she never got her turtle in wow :( I lucked mine.

• ThedrizzleThedrizzle Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Originally posted by SpandexDroid

This is now my excuse to my wife for her to play, she never got her turtle in wow :( I lucked mine.

Good god why fish forever just for a turtle mount?
  • ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by Zookz1

While funny, there's no way this game or any other upcoming game for that matter, is going to compete with WoW. AoC was the next WoW-killer, WAR was going to be the end of WoW, LOTRO was going to give Blizzard a run, oh no... Aion, surely that will be WoW's undoing. Hmmm, still not close. FFXIV? No. TOR? No. GW2? Unlikely. There's really no point in these companies trying to compete with Blizzard at this point. WoW has dug it's heels in, and there's simply no way a run-of-the-mill average in every way MMO is going to dethrone WoW.

Although no game to date has been able to "kill WoW", they certainly stand their ground against it.  You seem to be under the impression that a game must have millions of subs in order to be "good".  This is hardly the case.  Ever hear of EVE?  It doesn't have the "uber" playerbase possible, but it's a solid game and takes some degree of skill to play (yes, I went there.  Flame on.)

To think that WoW will live forever is just plain naive.  To believe that WoW is the only "good" MMO out there is naive.  To insinuate that WoW is a monopoly is naive.   In short, take off the WoW blinders and look around instead of following that carrot dangling in front of your face.  You may be surprised how many "good" games are out there.

Or head on back to spamming anal links in trade with the rest of your kiddy friends thinking you're "uber 1337".  Either way, I'm done ranting to those too narrow minded to listen.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Wow. Finally. Someone who can spell "naive" correctly. Thank you.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

unnecessary, and they really dont even have the quality to challenge WoW in its own field...

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Talk is cheap. Put up your shut up.

What I find amusing is the various people that post their whole "I played WoW for X amount of years and the game has been getting worse and this and that" Uhh... are you sure you're just not getting burned out?

Try eating the best and most expensive steak/food in the world for 6 years straight. You won't still feel the same way about that steak/food. No the steak didn't suddenly get worse, you just got over it.

I played WoW a lot. I stopped playing because I didn't like it anymore. This doesn't mean OMG the game is going downhill and it's going to crash and burn. I hope Blizz realizes this and fixes their failing game. No, I'm pretty sure they are doing just fine without me.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

RIFT is not even a AAA MMORPG how they claim to be. They have some cool ideas, but nothing to steal  players from better games that are already ourt there or to keep them from better games on the horizon.

This game is trying to brnig in customers fast before Star Wars, Guild Wars 2 and the acttual good MMORPGs of 2011 launch.

I can almost assure you that RIFT will go F2P after a fail launch and game in about 6 months to a year. All depends on how fast the real AAA MMOs are released and take all their customers(which won't even be that many).

I recommend all MMO fans to just play DDO, LOTRO, EQ2 and other  free games for now and wait til the better games are released.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Well done tirion atleast know everyone is talking about you.

Hey smart one about me how can you say its not an aaa mmorpg. did you even play the beta have u even saw the world,designs,quests not any of this u can find in a f2p mmorpg so plz shut up.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Just saw part of the trailer in a MMORPG.com advertisement.

Really, mentioning Azeroth like that? Talk about aggressive marketing... pity they use that to attempt to siphon from another already stabilized and successful title.

For me it just meant I had to put definitely on a "wait for trial" state and that is because I definitely hate this kind of strategy based on personal experience, this biased me pretty negatively, and I am one that used to be pretty interested in Trion Worlds, they're new yet they're taking multiple big works already.