Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: The End is the Beginning

13»

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by Everith

What I STILLLLL don't understand is why people say they won't buy the box because it's not worth 15$ a month.

If you don't like the game that's fine don't buy it. Not a problem there, if it's not for you don't pay 50$. However if you like the game but don't think it has enough content for a 15$ a month sub then why won't you buy the game?...

Since when did buying the game and playing it for 30 days mean you HAD to pay 15 a month?? When you by an xbox 360 game with approx 20hours worth of content for 60$ do you complain?

Buy the game play for 30 days enjoy however many hours you can rack up (which I'm possotive is more than most SP games) and cance your sub if they havn't added anything worth subbing for...

JEEEZ the MMO community has become fo fickle with spending money.

Your suggestion makes little sense.  If people do not feel the game is worth $15 a month, why on earth would they pay $50 just to play it for one month?

If people feel the game isn't worth $15 a month it certainly isn't worth spending $50 a month on.

^^^^ This

I agree why would I buy the game and pay 50 bucks, only to get 30 days of game time, when a months worth of game time is worth 15 dollars!!!!!!

I am glad I did the beta, it proved to me that I really did not want to play this game. It is not for me. I think there are a lot of button mashing type folks who will play it, and good for them, I hope they love it and they continue to play it.  Lets give it 6 months and check back to see how it is doing.

However anybody foolish enough to buy the game and spend 50 bucks who's not going to play it past the first 30 days you got to ask yourself why.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

What I STILLLLL don't understand is why people say they won't buy the box because it's not worth 15$ a month.

If you don't like the game that's fine don't buy it. Not a problem there, if it's not for you don't pay 50$. However if you like the game but don't think it has enough content for a 15$ a month sub then why won't you buy the game?...

Since when did buying the game and playing it for 30 days mean you HAD to pay 15 a month?? When you by an xbox 360 game with approx 20hours worth of content for 60$ do you complain?

Buy the game play for 30 days enjoy however many hours you can rack up (which I'm possotive is more than most SP games) and cance your sub if they havn't added anything worth subbing for...

JEEEZ the MMO community has become fo fickle with spending money.

Your suggestion makes little sense.  If people do not feel the game is worth $15 a month, why on earth would they pay $50 just to play it for one month?

If people feel the game isn't worth $15 a month it certainly isn't worth spending $50 a month on.

Yeppers. There are still many gamers that consider quality and value in their game purchases. If the game is already not worth a subscription fee AND the cash shop that will BE in the game, then why bother? ReallY? There are plenty of other proven, high quality console/PC games on the market that are more worthy of a $50 investment.

• EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

But when you play a single player game and "Complete" it do you feel like you wasted 60$?

I understand that if you think the game isn't as good as another one you're subscribed to why switch to this when it's content is lacking. I'm talking about the people who LOVED the beta and like playing the game. Why not buy it play it for 30 datys get 100 or so hours of playtime and then see if thwey added anything new.

I buy alot of games spending 50$ on a game and playing it for over 20 hours doesn't seem like a waste of money to me...

If you buy one game a year, yea maybe this isn't a wise investment for you but this is a game you're buying not a car.

Edit: I also understand if you play more casually and don't think you'll play enough of the game in the free 30 days.

I'm not saying everyone should buy the game I just think 50$ for playing the game for 30 isn't a bad purchase if you're in the "Single player with coop and possibility of more content later for 15 a month" mentality. At least for me it isn't I like the game enough for the price of admission and if they add more content between now and feb 11th I'll gladly pay 15$ like I would for any single player DLC.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by erictlewis

However anybody foolish enough to buy the game and spend 50 bucks who's not going to play it past the first 30 days you got to ask yourself why.

Because the first month is worth 50$! And there is not enough content for the second to be worth 15$. Its that simple. Given that a lot of the negative arguments revolve around lack of content, I see this as a possibility for DCUO. 

I simply don't understand your argument that despite the first month being fun, don't play at all because the 2nd-Nth month won't be fun enough to warrent 15. It makes not sense to me. I guess I consider the purchase price and monthly fees to be two or more entirely seperate transactions. You seem to link them more tightly than I do.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

In regards to the lack of downtime stuff argument, I'll agree that there is not much, but what is there is rather time-consuming and rewarding.

There is a fun little diversion in-game dealing with collecting various bits of information. As you are doing missions, you'll come across green "!" floating here and there. When you examine these, you'll get a little bit of story information to go along with the current mission arc that you are on. Once you have collected all 6 (usually), you get a new piece of gear in the mail. Most of these are easy to spot while doing the missions and thus, they are easy to complete.

Also, while running around the world, you will find blue "!". The blue "!" are extraneous story elements that add some depth to the overall lore of the DCUO universe. These range in size from 4 to 6 to complete the story and earn a reward. There are even additional rewards for completing multiple blue story sets in a larger set.

But wait, there's more. Also scattered throughout the cities are yellow "?" collectibles. Completing a set of these also grants a new style or piece of equipment. These are usually quite large, ranging from 6-10 pieces to complete the set. And, like the blue "!", there are sometimes sets within sets to award even more styles. These are randomly generated when you examine them, so it takes some time to get a full set.

I wish I could figure out how to post screenshots here, because I have completed a few of the collections and got some nice gear. I earned a nice set of "divine" wings for one collection, an "Arkham Riot" pouch belt, "Jester" shoulders and backpack (which looks like a jack-in-the-box box) and some other stuff that I personally didn't want for my character.

There is also the vault which can be run daily for new styles including "streetwear" like hoodies and ball caps with hero/villian logos on them. Also in the vault are some nice trinkets which turn you into other things like a Toyman doll or a Manhunter robot. I managed to get a pair of speed boots and a Joker's Jetpack that allowed my speedster to fly while it was equipped.

I had come across some of all the little sde tasks you mentioned and I did find them fun but they just didn't really change the "way" you play the game just "why" you are playing the game for that moment.  I'm really just right outside of the box with this game right now.

I got the same feeling playing this game I got from COH, unlike some other games we leave for negative reasons I just grew out of button mashing high on combat games for the moment, it's how I am as a gamer I know I would never have alot of draw to play a game like that as opposed to playing mmo's which I play very much like I did offline rpg's before it.

I think for the right people the features you named could have a pretty big impact and it is to me features like that that will set this game above the two hero mmo's before it in COH and CO.  Just for the type of gamer I am there is no way for me to justify paying monthly for this game.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• VantrasVantras Member Posts: 124

I think there is a problem with this site when the "journalists" turn from objective observers to outright fan-boys. 

While I understand that our esteemed author likes this game and has continued to review it well-it seems as though liking a game and outright advocating for the game, essentially becoming an extension of the game companies public relations and marketing might be a bit over the top for an author from an "official" site.

This article essentially boils down to the author saying "hey I enjoy it, some people dont but there reasons for not liking it (no crafting) are sort of silly.  And yes the game needs more content-but SOE promises more content and thats good enough for me!".  I mean-for real?

I think perhaps a better way to have phrased it is:

"Yes I love it.  Yes not having tradeskills is a major absence for a sustainable MMO, Yes having no "side things" to do other than quest/pvp/combat is atypical for an MMO that is asking for a long term committment from its players-these are huge factors and a huge risk for SOE-  But I believe that the gameplay makes up for it, I believe that the "newness" of the game will trump these large deficits.  And I believe (despite other companies including SOE failing to deliver in the past and despite the fact that SOE has been purposely opaque about details) that there will be plenty of monthly content."

Instead we get outright-the game is great, people who say its not-dont get it, tradeskills arent important and I am CERTAIN the content that will be coming is going to be amazing.

I am not sure even SOE fans would be so blindly fan-boy'ish about their own game. Bill I am not sure what is going on here-but I suggest you step away from DCU for a moment, go back and read some of the things you've written about the game and ask yourself "am i serving the MMORPG.com community with this sort of advocacy".  It doesn't seem as though you are.

I intend to play DCU when it releases.

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252

Hold that thought Bill.  Are you seriously suggesting that people spend money not based on what the condition of the game currently is, but instead based on the PROMISES of a game developers?

I'm shocked that you are even trying to suggest players overlook what they have experienced in the game and get aboard the HMS Developer Promise as if that is some valid reason to think the game is worth shelling out $60 and a monthly fee.

I've got to agree here. The promise is that new content is coming out monthly and it is a new instance every three months. Yet the pre-order beta group was locked at lvl 20 for the majority of the beta time and no new missions were added, just a few revamps here and there.

And this is on a game that indicated a November 2 launch date that it missed, followed by a beta start date that it missed for PS3 players.

DCUO isn't worth the sub fee because it is shallow. Since the December patch that slowed combat - it didn't add any skill to the game, other than 'lead with a power' - it's obvious SOE are trying to stretch that shallowness out a bit. If it goes F2P, it might be worth considering, but for $15 a month it is not worth it.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Sort of OT but: I just pre-ordered this for 35$ from D2D (used the "wootdc" promo code for 15$ off). 

Would those who say its not worth 50$: is it worth 35$?

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by vesuvias

Sort of OT but: I just pre-ordered this for 35$ from D2D (used the "wootdc" promo code for 15$ off). 

Would those who say its not worth 50$: is it worth 35$?

Not this one.

• NipashnakaNipashnaka Member Posts: 169

But when you play a single player game and "Complete" it do you feel like you wasted 60$?

The quality bar for content in single player games is lightyears higher. What you pay for in an MMO is quantity over quality, with the understanding that the quantity means the game has effectively "infinite" content. MMOs that fail are the ones that don't. Guild Wars has "infinite" content, it was called PvP. WoW has "infinite" content, it's called a grind. EvE has "infinite" content, it's called politics. And so forth. But I don't judge the content of any of the three games as I would a single player game; for example I don't expect EvE to have better content than any half decent single player space conquest game. Because the "M" in MMO means other players, and the social connections you form with them are a huge part of why the (otherwise crappier) content is fun.

So when I play a single player game and "complete" it I usually feel like I get my money's worth if it's a fun, compelling game. Sometimes I play it a second time, or even a third time if I really like it. Don't really have that choice with an MMO, you aren't buying the game you're leasing it.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I'm just going to say this, even though it'll likely be skipped over or dismissed.

My DCUO Weekly columns are just that: columns.  As in, my opinion on the subject.  If you don't agree, that's cool.  Just try not to attack my integrity, as it's completely uncalled for when conversing about an opinion piece.

Though I must say thanks for inciting my personal column for next week. 

Cheers, and see some of you Tuesday in DCUO.  Those who are passing, that's cool too.  ;)

-Bill

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Get'm Bill!  I like your articles.

People are especially vitriolic of late though due to the recent POOR MMO releases, IMO.  The jaded becoming increasingly so with each new crap MMO.  It's strange to find one that's DIFFERENT (and enjoyable).

• Justley3Justley3 Member Posts: 48

Sorry Bill. I enjoyed your article, but you are to much of a fanboy to be writing a proper review as you are off in many topics.

For 1: The beta event was horrible. Crashes NON STOP for PS3, and half of the PC community,where the game couldnt hold a couple hundred people within a zone vacinity. The game needs a lot of work, Alerts are extremely buggy.

Bill you said the beta is a judgement of how SOE Will treat this game? You mean letting bugs continue throught he past few months of beta and are still there? How they ruined group play, classes, and balance. I could keep going on, but sorry, Its before Jan 11, and I had to do it, because they are ruining their product, which is TYPICAL of SOE, not your typical fanboy hype about it, Bill. To biased, but that's how a lot of reviews are and bill of course has to follow the same, instead of change.

Gamer-4-Life

• GoldiusGoldius Member UncommonPosts: 42

It's pretty obvious from the tone of this review that..

1.SOE spends advertising dollars here so MMORPG obeys.

From a players perspective it's an SOE game so don't assume they listen or give two hoots but anything you say here.SOE's track record speaks for itself in this area.

Gamers are much smarter now days and many like me will continue to watch the boards for a few months to see if it pans out ...all these "promises".

There's plenty of guppies willing to  "pay to test" these games so i'll be waiting 3 months to see how it goes.

Sorry SOE you don't have a monopoly anymore with EQ so you can't discard the player voice like you used to.

Plenty of new games on the horizon we will see if your worth my time/money and effort.

Thanks to he beta testers for their comments and saving me some hard earned $.

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

Nice to see the tinfoil hat brigade are putting in a good innings.

Currently Playing: The Game

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Oooohhhh.. you really have to wonder about these big-brother type posters.  You really think Sony is going to pay people for this stuff? LOL.  (puts on my tinfoil hat and runs for cover)

ZOMG he said something nice about a game!  He musta been paid!

ZOMG he said something mean about a game.  Must notta been paid enough!

FOWL!   (get it? Whacka whacka!)

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Ikeda

Oooohhhh.. you really have to wonder about these big-brother type posters.  You really think Sony is going to pay people for this stuff? LOL.  (puts on my tinfoil hat and runs for cover)

ZOMG he said something nice about a game!  He musta been paid!

ZOMG he said something mean about a game.  Must notta been paid enough!

FOWL!   (get it? Whacka whacka!)

I'm not saying one way or another if there are employees here making fake reviews, but it does happen.  Sony has been caught a number of times doing things of this nature.  In fact both parent divisions that controlled SOE have been caught doing it.

Sony Computer Entertainment busted for putting up a fake blog pretending to be a user hyping the PSP.  SOE is currently managed by this division.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/dec2006/id20061219_590177.htm

Sony Pictures Entertainment busted, sued and lost for creating fake movie reviews in publications AND using employees in their advertisements.   SOE just happened to be managed by this division during this time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4741259.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1870618.stm

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

This is a DC Comics IP... Some of the most Iconic Artists and Writers in DC are directly involved in the games direction.

This isn't a Lucasfilm or Paramount "take the cash and we'll tell you if it's acceptable to canon" scneario  DC's artists and writers are actually playing this game as well and it has a direct reflection on an active and persistent IP.

My thoughts on SOE is that even a broken watch get's it right twice a day and DC is going to protect their interests. Trust them or not, they have an excellent chance of doing this one right as their interests are not the only one's present in regard to this game.

If you don't trust SOE to do it right or keep their word, give it a few months and check in on it later... I really don't think the community is going to be hurt by those that don't care to play at launch.

For my part, I'll be there on launch day though.

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261

William I gotta call you out on this "I hear a company promise significant monthly content updates, that is more than enough reason for me to sign up for a subscription. There will be something new every month."  I see that as being a load of crap.  Every month huh?  Just like all the other MMO's that were going to have stuff every month.  Depending on the response and sales of fans beyond the frst month we'll see how long that holds true.  I myself have just seen too many games NOT deliever on those same types of words.  I'm also going to bookmark your article so if it is indeed not the case, your nose can be rubbed in it.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

Asheron's Call used to ( and may still ) have monthly updates

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda