Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait a little on this one

This game looks cool, but it plays a little poorly atm.  One of 2 things will happen in the first 3 months of release:

1.  The lacking core aspects will improve to provide a longer lasting player experience.

2.  SOE will butcher this game JUST like every other title it has ever touched.

I have bought many SOE games, and most have been o.k. but never up to the potential, but I feel like this could be an break in the clouds, but all the same, I would wait to see if these forums fill with flames after launch before dropping money on this title.

Elite poster by 82

Comments

• KrilsterKrilster Member Posts: 230

Originally posted by smitty0356

This game looks cool, but it plays a little poorly atm.  One of 2 things will happen in the first 3 months of release:

1.  The lacking core aspects will improve to provide a longer lasting player experience.

2.  SOE will butcher this game JUST like every other title it has ever touched.

I have bought many SOE games, and most have been o.k. but never up to the potential, but I feel like this could be an break in the clouds, but all the same, I would wait to see if these forums fill with flames after launch before dropping money on this title.

Could you elaborate for the underlined part? If you mean in terms of performance, you just need to turn vysnc off because it caps at 30 fps instead of your monitors refresh rate. In terms of combat, that's personal preference.

I've been playing the beta since it first began and I don't see how it plays "poorly". Every large patch improves something or another significantly (ex. last patch fixed the ui so it wasn't a crappy console port, now it's made for PC).

• bverjibverji Member UncommonPosts: 722

As a solo game I think this game is a lot of fun. The combat is fast, fun, and diverse.  It's great to play along side iconic characters and does a great job of making you feel like you're part of the DC world. Although not the greatest voice acting it greatly increases the submersion in the game and adds depth to the quests.

However, as a MMO with a monthly fee it blows chunks. The characters are limited in scope and resigned to overly restrictive combat roles that the power sets don't fill well anyway. The powers are solely lacking in thematic customization and the limited power choices define what role your character is forced to fill.

There is no way I would buy this game in it's current form and given SOE's track record of totally changing things from one patch to the next, as they are doing now as they change fundamental base of the whole game less then a month from release (what’s the point of having a beta if your just going to release a different game untested), there is no way I trust them to do anything but make the game worse. I was hoping to find that since this game was made for the consol that this game wouldn't fall into the same patterns as other SOE MMOs, but the same rush to release, hidden agendas and constant limitation of players that is par for SOE exsist.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Krilster

I've been playing the beta since it first began and I don't see how it plays "poorly". Every large patch improves something or another significantly (ex. last patch fixed the ui so it wasn't a crappy console port, now it's made for PC).

On one hand you say the game doesn't play poorly, then you turn around and talk how each patch makes significant improvements to "crappy" features.

I think the original post is very accurate.  The game has the basic elements of an mmo, but much of the game needs a lot of work.  On top of that it seems to be missing all the little things that make a game much more than just a combat system.

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by Krilster

On one hand you say the game doesn't play poorly, then you turn around and talk how each patch makes significant improvements to "crappy" features.

I think the original post is very accurate.  The game has the basic elements of an mmo, but much of the game needs a lot of work.  On top of that it seems to be missing all the little things that make a game much more than just a combat system.

I believe what he was going for is that the patches help the game making it better and cleans up some of the issues the game has.  The problem I see people having is that they just don't like the game and that is fine so then others make the same determination before they have even tried the game.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

That's kind of the point of this website is to get reviews of other people on games. If your going to try every game to see if you lioke it your going to end up with some empty pockets and a lot of games you played once.

Originally posted by bverji

That's kind of the point of this website is to get reviews of other people on games. If your going to try every game to see if you lioke it your going to end up with some empty pockets and a lot of games you played once.

Most games open up free trials and open betas.  I know most games especially the new ones want you to get in and enjoy so you can come back so they offer limited free trials of a few days just to tempt you.  To believe you have to pay for every game before you try it means you haven't looked hard enough for free trials and their open betas.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

How I upvote a poster?  ....the OP definitely deserves a shiny star for this...

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

To the OP

I agree with a lot of what you said. currently the game is not up to par. the combat imo is fine its just more action than the good ol auto attack. the rest of the game is lacking. from character creation through power sets there is not much option out there. whats the point of creating a unique looking character, to only find that after you've done your first bunch of quests for your mentor, that you look the same as every other character who chose that mentor. I do find it funny that out of the choice for being like an existing hero that they are all bar one or 2 gadget hero/villains.

So basically i think for most people who have played CoX or CO, they will find this game a step backward in choice.

• OcirusskdOcirusskd Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by Shamorau

To the OP

I agree with a lot of what you said. currently the game is not up to par. the combat imo is fine its just more action than the good ol auto attack. the rest of the game is lacking. from character creation through power sets there is not much option out there. whats the point of creating a unique looking character, to only find that after you've done your first bunch of quests for your mentor, that you look the same as every other character who chose that mentor. I do find it funny that out of the choice for being like an existing hero that they are all bar one or 2 gadget hero/villains.

So basically i think for most people who have played CoX or CO, they will find this game a step backward in choice.

lol, ok

To be honest the char creation is lacking but the customization of how your char looks is by far better than most games I’ve ever played. I currently have 18 items in my chest and head slots that I can swap out to change my appearance (all without clogging my inventory)  by just clicking a drop down menu( no clumsy equip/unequip  or need to visit a npc) plus the ability to instantly change the colors of your gear by use of the same menu makes char personalization easy and option packed for me. I also come from both CO and CoX and do not consider those games better just different and right now I consider Dcuo my cup of tea out of the three

To the OP

I am a long time CoX player and short time CO player and I find this game a welcome change.  I remember all the yelling and screaming for all the new powersets they just added to CoX and all the wonderful changes they have made but it took them a whole 6 years to get to the point they are at now.  I love the customization in DCUO because as you unlock you can pick and choose your look on the fly.  I haven't seen anyone look the same in the game granted no one is runing around with the Iconic Armor which would be cool to have but you don't have to look like it to have it on.  I think some of the comments made about the customization is before they make it well into the game past level 10 and see new sets of items.

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156

To the OP

press escape go into styles tab and click lock all. Not only is the gear you took appearance voluntary but if you decide to take another piece later you can retain the look of the previous set. Please play the game before making a untrue statement.

Originally posted by vboydjr

Most games open up free trials and open betas.  I know most games especially the new ones want you to get in and enjoy so you can come back so they offer limited free trials of a few days just to tempt you.  To believe you have to pay for every game before you try it means you haven't looked hard enough for free trials and their open betas.

Your experience and mine are differen't. I don't agree that it's as simple or a wide spread practice enough that you can rely on free trials (which usually is years after a games release) or open beta (which betas have become less open and limited in content over the last 5 years) and certainly that's not currently the case with DCUO.

Your experience and mine are differen't. I don't agree that it's as simple or a wide spread practice enough that you can rely on free trials (which usually is years after a games release) or open beta (which betas have become less open and limited in content over the last 5 years) and certainly that's not currently the case with DCUO.

I don't believe you have actually looked at the website to games then.  Most have some type of 14 day trial you can use and it doesn't take years after release to get them.  Some come out a month after the original release.  Open betas have become more and more with people pre-ordering and getting in early.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Let me first say that I like the game alot but I have a big issue with it, not enough content at launch. The problem is that the game will last me about 2 months and all I'll be left with is the mindless pvp grind for gear. So essentially it will cost me almost $75.00 for 2 months for a mmo ? Because in a mmo I expect the content to last me a heck of a lot longer than 2 months. Sadly, I think this is just poor design and planning.

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Let me first say that I like the game alot but I have a big issue with it, not enough content at launch. The problem is that the game will last me about 2 months and all I'll be left with is the mindless pvp grind for gear. So essentially it will cost me almost $75.00 for 2 months for a mmo ? Because in a mmo I expect the content to last me a heck of a lot longer than 2 months. Sadly, I think this is just poor design and planning.

The thing is you expect them to not deliver on the content patch every month.  I am not saying it will be an entire expansion but a couple of new missions, new costume pieces, new story is fine with me.  If they do come out with a Green Lantern content then what you just come back.  I don't know how much content everyone is expecting at the launch of a new MMO but none have come out with a ton of year long content at launch.

• SiecefireSiecefire Member Posts: 23

Well lets talk about performing poorly...

First off....just like Global Agenda...THIS IS NOT AN MMORPG!  I am so damn tired of these companies trying to sell 3rd person action games as MMOs!  Why is this game even advertised on "mmorpg.com" when its not an mmorpg.  The site advertises as "rpg", however watch any of the development videos and they call it an mmorpg.

If you call this an MMO, then you have to say Call of Duty is an MMORPG also.  They are the same...just action games with leveling thrown in.  I can see this possibly doing well on the PS3, but there is no way you can move and jump around using a keyboard like you have to in this game.

People can argue all day long that this is an MMORPG due to the fact that:

1. Its massive multiplayer online

2. it has role playing aspects.

Ok sure...but it is not what true MMO players have come to recognize as the appropriate usage of this term.  The game is based on your ability to dodge, block, and jump around to avoid attacks.  Its just a shooter.  Sure you get gear, but do you really need it?  You can play Black Ops and kill a high leveler using the starter pistol if you are skilled enough.  

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

I agree with Siece...   even TF2 is more of an MMORPG  than this is.

....meanwhile the combat itself is becoming downright Turn-Based.  Might as well just be playing FFXI...

Well off the top of my head Conan, warhammer and DCO all had limited content betas. ANd I challenge you to find 3 games with a 15 dollar monthly fee, released in the last 2 years, that had free trials within the first three months.

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

The best thing DCUO has going for it is timing, there is literally nothing new out there right now and theres a good 3-6 months before anything promising hits. Regardless of how hollow it is, im willing to pay for it to stifle my boredom.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by Siecefire

Well lets talk about performing poorly...

First off....just like Global Agenda...THIS IS NOT AN MMORPG!  I am so damn tired of these companies trying to sell 3rd person action games as MMOs!  Why is this game even advertised on "mmorpg.com" when its not an mmorpg.  The site advertises as "rpg", however watch any of the development videos and they call it an mmorpg.

If you call this an MMO, then you have to say Call of Duty is an MMORPG also.  They are the same...just action games with leveling thrown in.  I can see this possibly doing well on the PS3, but there is no way you can move and jump around using a keyboard like you have to in this game.

People can argue all day long that this is an MMORPG due to the fact that:

1. Its massive multiplayer online

2. it has role playing aspects.

Ok sure...but it is not what true MMO players have come to recognize as the appropriate usage of this term.  The game is based on your ability to dodge, block, and jump around to avoid attacks.  Its just a shooter.  Sure you get gear, but do you really need it?  You can play Black Ops and kill a high leveler using the starter pistol if you are skilled enough.  

Here we go again.  It's an MMO because it allows thousands of players to play together in a huge environment. It is nothing like a FPS multiplayer game with limited numbers of players on small maps. The devs for DCUO has all along stated that it is not a typical MMORPG, as it is designed to be different and more action oriented and player skill based. They have stressed many times that player skill is more important than character level. It is still an MMO with thousands of players and it still has certain RPG aspects, but it is meant to be different, and some classic MMORPG players will not like it.

It is more action oriented. Maybe that isn't for you,  That's fine. Don't play it. Some people adapt fine to games that are different, and the devs have stated over and over that it would be different. And it plays perfectly fine with a keyboard and mouse. That's what i use.  If I needed a controller to play, I would have left long ago.  Saying that you can't move and jump around with a keyboard and mouse explains why you have such a problem with the game.  You aren't good at it.  Yes, control in combat is more like an FPS, in terms of controlling your character, however, you only have to face the mobs to attack them rather than needing precise aim. You can also use keys to switch targets or lock onto targets, which is like an MMORPG, not an FPS.  In other words, combat control is somewhere in between FPS and RPG.

The game is far from perfect.  Those concerned about the gameplay style may want to wait, as the OP said, though maybe not for the same reasons. People expecting it to be like every other MMORPG will be disappointed with certain aspects. The UI, especially, will throw some people off. You can't use the mouse on the main interface until you open a window. That is by design, but many MMORPG people will not like it. Combat will be very different for most people. People that have played both MMORPG's and FPS's will have no problem adapting. Character creation seems a step back from many current MMORPG's, but it is still good. The chat interface is horrible in it's current state. I sure hope they have something in the works to replace it.  If that stuff doesn't scare you, you may want to give it a shot. If it does scare you, wait until after it's released. I'm sure they will have a free trial at some point.  Despite it's faults, I still find it fun to play, but it won't be for everyone.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

What?? A site is having a beta key giveaway?? HORDE HORDE HORDE!

Awesome.. I got 100 of them to give to my friends and stuff.. How many did you get?

I seriously used to care, I even placed a pre-order so I could get into the beta.. What happened? They ignored their ads, said screw you and closed the beta..

Now I bet you they think they forced me to buy a boxed copy to check the game out right? Nah.. Just made me pretty sure that I will not be picking this one up at launch.. I'm still debating if I will wait for a free-trial to be developed (of course when the game is starting to sink), or if I want to see where this forum goes when it is released.. Hmm..

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I was in the beta for months and DCUO doesn't seem like it will ever be anything more then an action console port. I'm even being pretty generous with action because the target locking takes a lot of the skill out of it. Really seems to me like SOE took a single player game and said "Hey, let's add instances and pvp and try to pass this off as a MMO".
  • GhostcamelGhostcamel Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Ocirusskd

To the OP

lol, ok

To be honest the char creation is lacking but the customization of how your char looks is by far better than most games I’ve ever played. I currently have 18 items in my chest and head slots that I can swap out to change my appearance (all without clogging my inventory)  by just clicking a drop down menu( no clumsy equip/unequip  or need to visit a npc) plus the ability to instantly change the colors of your gear by use of the same menu makes char personalization easy and option packed for me. I also come from both CO and CoX and do not consider those games better just different and right now I consider Dcuo my cup of tea out of the three

Yea same here. I spent a ton of time remolding my character on whim in DCUO, i often changed around the whole 'backstory' i had for my character when doing so. They added in all the items from character creator you couldnt choose(only get 1 of each@start) to ingame vendors, which really opens up a lot more themes easily.  I enjoyed the on-the-fly nature of it, in fact its what i did during any 'downtimes', i was crafting my persona constantly.

Also, you dont have to use the armor styles granted by the iconic designs, if you dont like them. I had several characters that relied on starter styles, just because i thought they looked cool, or fit my theme of the moment.

Edit: I forgot to say that i do agree in a way with the OP of this thread. I really think a bunch of PC MMO players will wait awhile before picking this up. I wonder though if DCUO will still be on their radar... They do have movie tie-ins, and all the media spending that brings. I think if the GL movie doesnt bomb the game will get a '2nd chance' around then. I do hope it shows well at that time, with some of the MMO-y aspects geting a more full treatment.