Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wow players controlling the mmo world?

odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

im starting to see a bunch of post of people hateing wow because it has gotten harder and for alot of the new changes ( dunno why but who doesnt like a challenge ) so what im asking is do you guys think that sence wow holds a majority of mmo community do you think they can make or break any new mmo out there ...i mean if most of the "good" wow players ***not the 7-13yr old players*** decide to dump wow and run to a new mmo ..lets say rift ...it will be a huge hit...then the masses would quit rift for a rocky launch or dont like it because its too challenging or dont like the way its played and float back to their theampark mmo ala crushing rift subs..what do you guys think..can wow players make or truely break new mmo's?  btw i dont play wow..

Comments

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

I see how a mass exodus of players from WoW to try out a new MMO can hurt a game when they decide to go back to WoW due to either a rocky start/different expectations. But I would assume (yay assumptions!!!) that game companies realise that the initial few months of platers does not equate to what longtime subs they will have, and so factoring in potential loss of subscriptions after the first free month and the few that follow should not be the great big alarm bell that people point to and say how a game is dying. "lol I TOLD you that game would fail, see 3 months in and they only have HALF the subs from Launch, total fail!!!! /smug" those comments are poison and only hurt the games becuase of ignorant attitudes (Granted 2010 was a complete bust for games, and the recent spate of rocky launches has created a breed of jaded cynical MMO'ers)

Hopefully, as a group, gamers can say "It wasnt for me" rather than "That game just plain sucked/is Fail" when asked how a game was, and then be able to identify what they did not like about it "Full loot PvP, Open PvP, Over reliance on Quest, no quests, Death Penalty, no Death Penalty" etc.

As for WoW players, everyone loves a good bitch session about WoW, it gives people with and axe to grind something to do, and the Fanboys something to defend. The players leaving en masse to test a new game then return to the old faithful can hurt a games launch, especially when people point to the loss in subs as proof that X game Fails, but the fact that people leave WoW for another game is a bit telling, everyone gets a bit burned out now and then, and a change is almost as good as a holiday, and if you dont like the change, go back to WoW.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

New MMOs always have tourists. It is expected that they leave. It has nothing to do with WoW.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• imanorcimanorc Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by odinsrath

im starting to see a bunch of post of people hateing wow because it has gotten harder and for alot of the new changes ( dunno why but who doesnt like a challenge ) so what im asking is do you guys think that sence wow holds a majority of mmo community do you think they can make or break any new mmo out there ...i mean if most of the "good" wow players ***not the 7-13yr old players*** decide to dump wow and run to a new mmo ..lets say rift ...it will be a huge hit...then the masses would quit rift for a rocky launch or dont like it because its too challenging or dont like the way its played and float back to their theampark mmo ala crushing rift subs..what do you guys think..can wow players make or truely break new mmo's?  btw i dont play wow..

With a presentation like that, there is no possible way that you DON'T play WoW.  It was like trade chat at any given moment of any given day.

Nice try though.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by imanorc

With a presentation like that, there is no possible way that you DON'T play WoW.  It was like trade chat at any given moment of any given day.

Nice try though.

i havent played wow sence BC and a lil WOTLK ...its just an question..dont flatter yourself

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I wouldn't say WoW players control anything, majority does.

I remember tons of people left wow for Aion. I'm pretty sure it happens on every major MMO release.

• NorseHammerNorseHammer Member Posts: 4

Will never happen.  And it wasn't or isn't about the challenger per say. It is more about the unpolished crap they released for cataclysm. the huge imbalance issues.

Challenge is one thing.. Level a toon in WoW, now to 85, A healer to be specific. Play said healer for heroics and endgame... Have fun with that. hope you have short hair, because youll be pulling it out.

Also i don't believe that 7-13 year old age bracket automatically make them terrible gamers?  im trying to find what you consider "good"? strike me confused here. 

Lastly, Are you asking people to leave wow for another game here? or are you simply stating obvious facts? Not trying to be a douche'-bag i just don't really see the aim and scope of your rant. Sorry

• RocksPodcastRocksPodcast Member Posts: 10

Well sure Wow is a big part of the gaming industry, but the interests are different in any person. It's just how your interests are like. 

I don't play Wow personal and i'm not gonna bring my opinion on it. I think there will be a better game in the next years. Because the auto target is shitty. I think the new MMORPG's with aiming can make the industry better.

• MasterDeadlyMasterDeadly Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by RocksPodcast

Well sure Wow is a big part of the gaming industry, but the interests are different in any person. It's just how your interests are like. 

I don't play Wow personal and i'm not gonna bring my opinion on it. I think there will be a better game in the next years. Because the auto target is shitty. I think the new MMORPG's with aiming can make the industry better.

I wouldn't say regular targetting is shitty. I believe the new aiming will be a lot like touch screens are for games like tetris. Its a good idea but its just not as fun as the old way of doing it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Not really. A game makes or breaks itself.

Some Wow players that temporarily move to anotgher game (happened when AoC and WAR released) and then move back again after a month or 2 will provide a nice extra income to a company but it is not what will make a break a game.

A well coded game that is fun will always do well. 

• MasterDeadlyMasterDeadly Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Loke666

Some Wow players that temporarily move to anotgher game (happened when AoC and WAR released) and then move back again after a month or 2 will provide a nice extra income to a company but it is not what will make a break a game.

But don't you think when the tourists all flood out of the new MMO it makes an influence on other players too as they will notice that the community is dying which then causes server merges and all the rest of it ?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

In that specific scenario, yeah, it's certainly possible. That doesn't mean it's going to happen though. A lot of WoW players (I don't know how many, but a lot) don't play any other games. They aren't "gamers". They play WoW like they watch T.V. Because it exists and it entertains. Your general "gamer" population is already trying other single player RPG, multiplayer RPG, single and multiplayer FPS, RTS, puzzle, etc. games on a regular basis anyway.

So, it's possible, but not likely.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Loke666

Depressingly a 'good game' doesn't always end up doing well. :(

2010 was so depressing; Vanquish/Bayonetta/Enslaved T_T

If it wasn't for Bioware with ME2 I would have lost all hope.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TotecTotec Member Posts: 220

WoW is like the President... He get's shit for things that he didn't even do. Why? Well because he's the one in charge! WoW has the majority of the MMO market, and is blamed by everyone for causing problems within the market because they can't get WoW's subs... Just my two cents, but if a game really is better than WoW it should overthrow WoW. 

• ObakiObaki Member Posts: 27

I don't know, there are a lot of developing MMO games especially in the free/browser sector. Dead Frontier and MojiKan jump to mind.