Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Account compromised - but what good service.

tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

I have not played eq2 in a while, so when I got the email from SOE stating thank you for the in game purchase, of course I was concerned.  It turns out that my account was compromised but interesting enough, I learned a few things from the ordeal.

The crooks were not able to steal my CC information so they just replaced it with some stolen card number and made the in game purchases then transferred the purchases to some other account.  Then, they stole all my in game money I earned.

I contacted SOE who surprisingly quickly helped me out.  They reset my account and restored my character and money back to the way it was before the account was compromised.

Maybe I'm over reacting since this has never happened to me before, but I was really impressed with how they corrected the situation so quickly as if nothing had happened at all.

Cheers SOE, nicely done.  

And was just wondering, does this kind of thing happen often in MMO accounts?

Comments

• MalcolmHexMalcolmHex Member Posts: 2

thumbs up on this one, i'll be sure to pass on the good news.

Should I Post my rig here? The Games I Play??? Both??+

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by tort0429

Depends who you ask. Some say it happens a lot some say that it's the fault of the player, etc.

As for me, I started playing mmo's in 2004 and never had an account hacked/compromised.

well, at least until today. image

Got an e-mail from turbine indicating they froze my account becuase it might have been compromised by a third party. I was floored.

I was able to log into the account on their site so no one changed my password. Then when I came home I ran virus scan. Twice. Found nothing.

The previous night i was creating and deleting characters so I don't know if for some reason their detection was bugged and they thought someone else did this? In any case they indicated that once I changed my password and ran a virus scan they would unlock my account.

Too freaky!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Smilex0311Smilex0311 Member Posts: 207

OP:

The same exact thing happened to me and a friend of mine.  I wonder whats going on over there?  The security really sucks thats for sure.  However, the SOE customer service was very helpful.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by tort0429

Depends who you ask. Some say it happens a lot some say that it's the fault of the player, etc.

As for me, I started playing mmo's in 2004 and never had an account hacked/compromised.

well, at least until today. image

Got an e-mail from turbine indicating they froze my account becuase it might have been compromised by a third party. I was floored.

I was able to log into the account on their site so no one changed my password. Then when I came home I ran virus scan. Twice. Found nothing.

The previous night i was creating and deleting characters so I don't know if for some reason their detection was bugged and they thought someone else did this? In any case they indicated that once I changed my password and ran a virus scan they would unlock my account.

Too freaky!

Are you sure that wasn't a phishing scam e-mail? I hope you didn't follow any links in the e-mail to log in to your account.