Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current non-combat activities?

s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Let me start out by stating I have no desire for this to become a negative discussion. I'm not wanting to read complaints or whining. I'm just researching the current state of non-combat activities in STO. I'd like to know more about First Contact missions, diplomacy, exploration, etc...

Please just report the facts if you currently play. I have not played since launch, so I missed out on Season 2 and beyond. I was looking forward to these types of activities. And I remember reading that these things were on their way. Do they exist in a meaningful, fun way? Or does everything still end in a fight? Do negotiations exist at all? Are exploration missions still just randomly generated and almost always end in combat?

I did not mind the combat. I understand that the Federation is at war in that universe. I just did not want that to be it.

Thanks in advance.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

Comments

• OzHawkeyeOzHawkeye Member Posts: 13

There remains essentially no non-combat missions in STO still. There's the Fed Diplomatic Corp, but you'll be Vice Admiral a long time before you've ground enough rep with them to get anything from them by way of non-combat missions.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Theres crafting, diplomacy and some player generated noncombat missions on the test server...but thats pretty much it.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by OzHawkeye

There remains essentially no non-combat missions in STO still. There's the Fed Diplomatic Corp, but you'll be Vice Admiral a long time before you've ground enough rep with them to get anything from them by way of non-combat missions.

I would not say "no non-combat misssions in STO still". You can start Fed Diplomatic (all non-combat) missions at rank 10. And, as far as I can see you can do only those missions all the way to Vice Admiral rank if you desire. The issue I have with them is that they are all pretty much bland missions with little variety in type. Basically, any mission in game that does not require combat is a "diplomatic mission" but these basically are pretty much cookie cutter type missions in very similar locales. Somewhat disappointing considering the fact that the introduction to the Diplomatic Corps has a rather interesting start of Vulcan with a story line. Point is, missions just get repetitive and flat after a short while.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for more, but I guess I'll have to wait. I promised myself that I'd give it a year, and I pretty much have.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Gruug

I would not say "no non-combat misssions in STO still". You can start Fed Diplomatic (all non-combat) missions at rank 10. And, as far as I can see you can do only those missions all the way to Vice Admiral rank if you desire. The issue I have with them is that they are all pretty much bland missions with little variety in type. Basically, any mission in game that does not require combat is a "diplomatic mission" but these basically are pretty much cookie cutter type missions in very similar locales. Somewhat disappointing considering the fact that the introduction to the Diplomatic Corps has a rather interesting start of Vulcan with a story line. Point is, missions just get repetitive and flat after a short while.

If I recall, Quarantine was a non-combat mission.  I'd like to see more stuff like that... if I were still playing, that is.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Gruug

Here's what it boils down to for me . Yes they've added crafting and diplo to the game , how integrated and useful is it in game? Most MMO's integrate all three aspects into game play to one level or another. Vanguard is a good example of crafting being intergrated to gameplay as well as diplo. Diplo is used for raid buffs and on it's own a mini game. Granted a little simplistic once a player learns the ins and outs , nevertheless it can be beneficial. So , here's my question . How useful and integrated is the crafting and diplo to STO ? If the answer is little to not at all , you can see the flaw in the game design. Just putting it in game is bad design , if it serves no purpose.