Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meaningful Defeat Feels Refreshing

Big_DataBig_Data Member UncommonPosts: 48

After being underwhelmed with Cataclysm (yes I know, how can you tell after only a few days?  I told myself if it didn't grab me immediatly I was out), I decided to try something different.

I had tried and enjoyed EVE last year, but always went back to what felt comfortable.

Last night, doing some newbie mission, my ship was destroyed by NPC smugglers, leaving me with little ISK, some crappy Ibis, and on the brink of rage quitting.

Then I realized, it was my fault.  I flew right into five enemy NPC's, and acted like EVE was like WoW.  Then I was upset that I didn't just turn into a ghost, float back to my body, setting me back only 15 seconds.

Truth be told, given my ISK and ship situation, losing my Osprey like that probably set me back 3-4 days.

Ironically, the more I thought about how pissed I was, the more I enjoyed the change of pace.

Just wait until I get my Osprey back.  Those NPC clowns are going down!

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

If it wont spoil your fun, please allow me to suggest a Caracal next time.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Osprey
    Caldari Cruiser Skill Bonus: 20% bonus to mining laser yield and 10% reduction in Shield Transport capacitor use per level.
    ===============
    you are doing it wrong :D

BestSigEver :P

• mikaleonmikaleon Member Posts: 9

I suggest you either go with a Moa (if you trained Turrets) or a caracal if your character is trained with missiles.

Having said that, the Caracal is undeniably the best missioning Tier 1 cruiser for a beginner. At first I had to fit a sensor booster and a medium Tech II shield booster, but it was rad.

I did my learning skills (all 5 basic/4 advanced)  while missioning with my Caracal, sadly it got WTFPWNED during a corp war.

Contact me in game: I will give you one.

Ingame:  Mikaleon

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by mikaleon
    the Caracal is undeniably the best missioning Tier 1 cruiser for a beginner.

Actually, the Caracal is tier 2, with the osprey being tier 1 and the moa being tier 3.
    You're confusing tiers with tech levels.

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

if  I had my account active I'll give u 30m, but.... xD

and yeah, u're flying the wrong ship, look up for some fits on battleclinic

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Well OP i'm glad you understood the harsh penalty of death and got over it to get back in and a determination to make those npc's pay for their transgressions. Not many can get past that kind of lossand thus rage quit and say this and that about the game.

EVE's PvE and PvP can teach many things on how to play better and when to sense when to get the hell out.

• OldBikerOldBiker Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by zombiocracy

Ironically, the more I thought about how pissed I was, the more I enjoyed the change of pace.

You, sir, "get" Eve.  Welcome to the club.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

And no eve'o forum post about how stupid the death penalty in game is? No whining about how CCP should change the game? My god man, you are acting like a grownup. This sense of accountability is troublesome in such a new player. I fully expect a quick petition filed to demand your ship be returned. /sarcasm.

Understanding the concept of loss is a foreign to most MMO players. Your post is refreshing. Good luck and welcome to this mistress we log into and call home.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Welcome to EVE :)  Where every death is a chance to learn what not to do.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Welcome to EVE!

Are you enjoying the larger attributes since the learning skill removal?

Glad to hear you're sticking around.

Fly Safe.

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335

What's your name in EVE? I'll send you a bit of isk to help replace that ship. It's always nice to see new players enjoying the game for what it is and "getting" it so to speak.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

I've been playing a while now and thought I'd add my 2 cents to this post...

I LOVE the fact that losing a ship or being podded hurts so much....it forces one to learn from EVERY SINGLE experience of their loss.

in corp wars, when a fleet battle comes up, you see where you made mistakes or realize you could have done so much MORE if you had just done this or that....  you start to think strategically, calculative.....

losing my FAVORITE ship in a battle or from a mission I took for granted......brilliant lesson after lesson.

Consequence, risk, REAL LOSS.....this is an element coded out of most mmo's now....

in AoC if you die you have a little skull by your name....they don't even require repair or have decay to items!..pathetic.

In swg, you had some real loss/decay before the NGE hit.

most fantasy mmo's are a joke compared to this.

but I have to say one thing...it DOES keep out the stupid kids....they hate loss or losing...so they rage quit most of the time.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by Faxxer

I've been playing a while now and thought I'd add my 2 cents to this post...

I LOVE the fact that losing a ship or being podded hurts so much....it forces one to learn from EVERY SINGLE experience of their loss.

in corp wars, when a fleet battle comes up, you see where you made mistakes or realize you could have done so much MORE if you had just done this or that....  you start to think strategically, calculative.....

losing my FAVORITE ship in a battle or from a mission I took for granted......brilliant lesson after lesson.

Consequence, risk, REAL LOSS.....this is an element coded out of most mmo's now....

in AoC if you die you have a little skull by your name....they don't even require repair or have decay to items!..pathetic.

In swg, you had some real loss/decay before the NGE hit.

most fantasy mmo's are a joke compared to this.

but I have to say one thing...it DOES keep out the stupid kids....they hate loss or losing...so they rage quit most of the time.

Exactly, adrenaline in a game makes it much more fun!

Keep on rockin'!image