Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As dota vet disappointed.

XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

I played several days now and first this game was pure fun, but more and more the annoying things start annoy me too much.

Annoying things for me :

- HP pool grows too much compared to dmg. Caster is able to easy gain more HP then a tank ... and at the end caster even does better dmg compared to a tank (at least the ones ive seen in action).

I didnt play all tanks as i would have to play several months till i would be able to purchase them all. Or i just would spend money in item shop to unlock heroes. Heroes can be worth from 2-7 euros :/ So if you want to enjoy a variety like HoN or Dota offers, then you pretty fast reach a point where you spend over 30 euros.

- At start you can pick only 8 heroes and the rest you have to unlock by playing, which by it self wouldnt be a big deal, but the people who are able to purchase other heroes are able to shift the balance of match too far on their side, as we know there are always imbalanced heroes.

- Too many heroes are useless late game. Normaly i got used to be more or less support for late game as caster in dota, but in LoL if you arent carry you are pretty fucked up by being meat shield or support only and the abilitys to support are limited aswell, as i didnt discovered support items.

- Too much disraction. Its aint that bad, as you got used, but for me as old dota player it was terrible at start.

- You can concede only after 25 mins, even if you are wtf pawn rolled, you cant concede earlyer. A paradise for sadists, which are mostly winning team and try to strech out the game as much as possible.

I like things :

- It is something new and its aint a 1 to 1 copy of Dota compared to HoN so credits for it, although there are a lot of similaritys.

- If you can get past the cons, then this game can get very addictive (like Dota :) ) kudos for that aswell.

- New ideas (like skill tree, runes)

For me the annoying things outweight the positive ones. This game wont be something for me.

I wish the remaining players gl / hf and lot of kills :-)

PS : A single thing that i didnt understand, how the hell they want to create out of this game a competative enviroment, as long you cant choose all the heroes. Maybe you are able to unlock pretty all heroes till you are lvl 20, which takes a while. Dont know.

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

Comments

• borockborock Member Posts: 42

You unluck the heroes by earning IP through winning the game or buying them with cash. Its a way for them to make money since the game is free 2 play. You dont have to wait till your level 20 to buy them. you can buy any champion at any time. Its just whether or not you want to farm games or pay for them that decides if you can play them, not your level.  The game is extremely competitive, all champions rotate every week, and those of us into competitive play have bought all of the champions we want to use in tourneys so we dont have to worry about the free champion rotation.

Also. every hero has their role. From the sound of it, you may have been a Dota vet, but not a top dota player. My friends who are dota vets introduced me to this game and made the transition very easily. Casters can be built to have lots of health, you better be sure to be building ability power items that have health as well, which im sure they were doing because casters are squishy and are focused down. You HAVE to have a carry on your team, but you also HAVE to have a tank, cc, and casters. 

Its about team composition. You were probly werent doing so well because of a bad team comp. Want to play another hero that YOU believe is overpowered? then go buy it in the store or go play practice or unranked games just for the IP and earn them that way. No level requirement to purchase heroes...

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Xianthos

I played several days now and first this game was pure fun, but more and more the annoying things start annoy me too much.

Annoying things for me :

- HP pool grows too much compared to dmg. Caster is able to easy gain more HP then a tank ... and at the end caster even does better dmg compared to a tank (at least the ones ive seen in action).

This is simply not true. You must have gotten severely outleveled. A caster can build HP/Tank items, but then he'll hit like a wet noodles. The only ones you'll see building HP like that (that isn't a tank) is a melee dps and that's usually because that's the only chance they have to survive group fights. Once again, I think you just got outleveled and didn't notice it, happens easily at first.

I didnt play all tanks as i would have to play several months till i would be able to purchase them all. Or i just would spend money in item shop to unlock heroes. Heroes can be worth from 2-7 euros :/ So if you want to enjoy a variety like HoN or Dota offers, then you pretty fast reach a point where you spend over 30 euros.

You can unlock everything in the game that affects gameplay (note not skins) without paying a single dollar/euro. I've unlocked full tier 3 rune sets, dozens of champs, and haven't payed a cent. The bundle packs are nice if you need a variety to choose from.

- At start you can pick only 8 heroes and the rest you have to unlock by playing, which by it self wouldnt be a big deal, but the people who are able to purchase other heroes are able to shift the balance of match too far on their side, as we know there are always imbalanced heroes.

Free available champions are rotated weekly. They offer a variety of ranged, tank, caster, physical dps. This is also a great way to sample a champion if you're unsure whether you should buy them or not. Also, a few weeks after release, champions go free so you can see whats up with the latest new toys.

Let me tell you, with the exception of Ezreal, all of the 6300 champions are completely subpar to most other champions. Ashe, Sivir, Soraka, Yi are all available for 450 IP and can be completely game changing (though YI to a lesser extent). Annie, Fiddlesticks, Trist, Janna, Zil, Twisted Fate etc are all EXTREMELY powerful champions available at just 1350. Price is far from everything. Not to mention, with the introduction of Draft mode, most of the OP champs are banned. Anyone of the champs I listed would be banned well before a 6300 champ except maybe Ez.

- Too many heroes are useless late game. Normaly i got used to be more or less support for late game as caster in dota, but in LoL if you arent carry you are pretty fucked up by being meat shield or support only and the abilitys to support are limited aswell, as i didnt discovered support items.

It's true some champs fall off late game, but you can't have every champ destroy things late game? Support/tanking doesn't lose out (I don't care how much damage you do, you can't initiate vs 5 people late game). Champs like Taric, Soraka, Heimer etc are powerful right now because of support and the ability to push. As a dota vet you should know how important pushing is.

- Too much disraction. Its aint that bad, as you got used, but for me as old dota player it was terrible at start.

Distractions? You have to get used to the particles, but they are usually pretty clear and consistant. I don't really understand what you mean here...

- You can concede only after 25 mins, even if you are wtf pawn rolled, you cant concede earlyer. A paradise for sadists, which are mostly winning team and try to strech out the game as much as possible.

It wasn't always like this, but it's current rendition is awful I admit. That's what I hate about this game, how nazi it is.

I like things :

- It is something new and its aint a 1 to 1 copy of Dota compared to HoN so credits for it, although there are a lot of similaritys.

- If you can get past the cons, then this game can get very addictive (like Dota :) ) kudos for that aswell.

For me the annoying things outweight the positive ones. This game wont be something for me.

PS : A single thing that i didnt understand, how the hell they want to create out of this game a competative enviroment, as long you cant choose all the heroes. Maybe you are able to unlock pretty all heroes till you are lvl 20, which takes a while. Dont know.

What? You can't use all the champions at once so what good would having them unlocked be anyway? I'm confused what you're getting at here. Champs have counters, certain champs are more useful in competitive play than others. This is something they constantly try to address, knocking off what they call the 'S tier'.

Do you mean how is it going to be competitive if you don't have all the champions right away? If you were that good that you could play every single champion at a competitive level, and your team needs you to be that flexible, you could always buy them all, or play long enough to unlock them with IP.

They crank out new champs about every 2 weeks, so that will be tough to keep up with

PS: Im' just curious, what champ(s) did you try?

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

Originally posted by helthros

Originally posted by Xianthos

Annoying things for me :

This is simply not true. You must have gotten severely outleveled. A caster can build HP/Tank items, but then he'll hit like a wet noodles. The only ones you'll see building HP like that (that isn't a tank) is a melee dps and that's usually because that's the only chance they have to survive group fights. Once again, I think you just got outleveled and didn't notice it, happens easily at first.

It was just an example. For my personal taste the HP pool is far to big compared to HoN and Dota and i dont like it. To clarify how i see it, i choosed the example of caster.

You can unlock everything in the game that affects gameplay (note not skins) without paying a single dollar/euro. I've unlocked full tier 3 rune sets, dozens of champs, and haven't payed a cent. The bundle packs are nice if you need a variety to choose from.

Yep and how long does it took you to do? And how much were you playing per day? IP amount per day? I never mentioned anything that you arent able to unlock everything by earning IP.

Free available champions are rotated weekly. They offer a variety of ranged, tank, caster, physical dps. This is also a great way to sample a champion if you're unsure whether you should buy them or not. Also, a few weeks after release, champions go free so you can see whats up with the latest new toys.

Let me tell you, with the exception of Ezreal, all of the 6300 champions are completely subpar to most other champions. Ashe, Sivir, Soraka, Yi are all available for 450 IP and can be completely game changing (though YI to a lesser extent). Annie, Fiddlesticks, Trist, Janna, Zil, Twisted Fate etc are all EXTREMELY powerful champions available at just 1350. Price is far from everything. Not to mention, with the introduction of Draft mode, most of the OP champs are banned. Anyone of the champs I listed would be banned well before a 6300 champ except maybe Ez.

Fair enough. 

It's true some champs fall off late game, but you can't have every champ destroy things late game? Support/tanking doesn't lose out (I don't care how much damage you do, you can't initiate vs 5 people late game). Champs like Taric, Soraka, Heimer etc are powerful right now because of support and the ability to push. As a dota vet you should know how important pushing is.

Still with some heroes i have felt extremly useless. Just meat shield and barely able to contribute in the endgame. And for me its aint fun if i cant do just stay there and eat dmg :P

Distractions? You have to get used to the particles, but they are usually pretty clear and consistant. I don't really understand what you mean here...

Its ok. I told that you get used to it and there for it isnt a big deal, but it was still pain at start.

It wasn't always like this, but it's current rendition is awful I admit. That's what I hate about this game, how nazi it is.

I like things :

For me the annoying things outweight the positive ones. This game wont b

e something for me.

What? You can't use all the champions at once so what good would having them unlocked be anyway? I'm confused what you're getting at here. Champs have counters, certain champs are more useful in competitive play than others. This is something they constantly try to address, knocking off what they call the 'S tier'.

Do you mean how is it going to be competitive if you don't have all the champions right away? If you were that good that you could play every single champion at a competitive level, and your team needs you to be that flexible, you could always buy them all, or play long enough to unlock them with IP.

They crank out new champs about every 2 weeks, so that will be tough to keep up with

PS: Im' just curious, what champ(s) did you try?

Sry ive already uninstalled LoL and dont remember the names by hard. Ive tryed most of the heroes from this week and last week. Not all, but most.

About the champs. I like to have the diversity. So i can choose optimal heroe, which fits my team best and there for its kind pain for me to be locked only on 8-10 heroes :P Call me spoiled, but thats how it works. Ive already got spoiled by dota, that you are able to choose all the heroes from start without any restrictions.

Same is for HoN.

Let just say LoL doesnt fit my taste.

PS : I have bought HoN after all :P You are now allowed to hate me!

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

i have been playing since beta...well over 700 games now with about a 50-60 game lead over .500...and i do agree that starting out now will be a little hard...but it will be worth it. some call it a grind to earn the ip, but this is only if you do not enjoy the game as a whole. i played dota for a little over 3 years and hon for about a week. Hon is Dota nothing more, it is simply a repackage with new graphics and a worse community. LoL tries to help the new players and its free and TBH  i have yet to pay for anything....everything i have bought is with my ip (in game money) sure i don't have any skins but i have well over 20 champs unlocked and 2 full rune books.

the model is awesome and if they release a skin that is pure awesome I will have no issue about paying for it

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Game feels like DOTA for a younger audience really..

Very beginner friendly and discourages the strategy/teamwork aspect of dota...  It's there, but it's much different..

I'd rather play public dota games then this..

Originally posted by zellmer

Very beginner friendly and discourages the strategy/teamwork aspect of dota...  It's there, but it's much different..

That's so not LoL. It's highly unfriendly to newbies. The strategy/teamwork is very much there. YOu can't go into random pug games expecting to be wowed by teamwork.

• misterpetemisterpete Member Posts: 6

That's so not LoL. It's highly unfriendly to newbies. The strategy/teamwork is very much there. YOu can't go into random pug games expecting to be wowed by teamwork.

Permit me to disagree. The community is highly unfriendly to newbies, but the gameplay is about as dumbed down as you can get.

• Silas26Silas26 Member Posts: 51

By strategy, I guess you mean zerg & rax?

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Silas26

How many games you have under your belt?  I have over 600, this game requires a fair amount of strategy.  Sure, in any competitive game a zerg strategy will win sometimes.  Honestly, if you are not premade your taking a chance.  I'll go 20-1 in a premade, then get thrashed in solo queue the next ten.

Now I never played DoTA, so I can't compare the too, but I find the gameplay to be fun unless your just on the wrong side of that ELO in solo queue, then I find it is quite a bore and grind to get through that runt.  (Like I am usually around 60+ wins than losses, dipped down all the way until like +25 because everygame was a thrashing, it took me a few weeks to finally get that to +45ish and where it is sitting at mostly stable)

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159

Still don't understand why this game has a section even though its not an MMO. If this gets a section here so does HoN then.

Originally posted by Silas26

Zerg might actually mean something when you're new and another team might not be able ot handle more than 1 person working together. Watch some of the competitive games if you care to see how the strategy is involved. Group make-up is EXTREMELY important, almost too important.

If you want to bag on something bag on how some champs/make-ups are more OP than others. However,  to say it's 'zerg and rax' implies that you can take any mix of champions and win just becaues you "zerg" which is entirely not true. Even that has its limits now since there's draft mode where the same champions are banned regularly.

As a matter of fact, to show you how wrong you are. Healing and poking teams were the latest popular fad. Neither of these concepts utilitze anything thtat would resemble a zerg. If anything, it's quite the opposite of a zerg because it's about wearing your opponents down.

About the forum thing. I think Riot advertised here a bit. Money talks.

• DOUbleJESusDOUbleJESus Member Posts: 1

Requires less teamwork than dota? Are you insane I'm sorry but in dota you can farm up an agility carry and if you get fed you can pentakill with little support from your team. In this you HAVE to have team play or you lose. Example I made a smurf(level 1 account to thrash on newbies) when there was a problem with solo queue for the good 5v5 map I went something like 16-3-0 and my team lost because I had a leaver and a caster that got attack power items and was feeding them. I was just melting their faces but I could not kill them all when they grouped up. I could come close cause I was playing twitch but I just couldn't quite ace their whole team.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying dota doesn't require teamwork, if you want a fat and farmed agility carry you gotta hand him a few kills on a silver platter early game, which requires teamwork I know, I've played my fair share or dota.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

You guys have played so little DOTA it's insane..  No point trying to argue with them is there...?

As far as DOTA games, thousands is an understatement for me..  This just doesn't compare whatsoever..

"Dude if u screws up in first 5 mins ur'ed skrewwwwwwed kekekke!!  It's so strat oriented!!"  doesn't mean much really..  Just proves that there's next to no strategy involved in the game..

"U can be an agl and pwn everyone!"  agl's are fragile, generally offer next to nothing in team fights, and absolutely don't have a chance ignoring and ricing vs a real team that pick's well and/or works together..

Would be like me coming here saying "I played 3 games of Leage of Legends, it's so crap becuz i played a cpl games where 1 hero beat my team easily!  WTF this game is the sux, any game where a hero can sometimes beat another team because the team sucks is fail, kekekekke!"

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

I just finished a few matches in LoL and i play it pretty much everday. LoL is not a newbie friendly game at all. Why? Because I hate it when I get some guy on my team that doesn't understand what UNIQUE passive means and tries to stack madred because it makes him win!.... A well played champ in LoL can slaugther  a team of failures but this is rare in my 500+ matches I've achieved this once with mordekaiser, solo  quadra kill without any help from my team at all.

LoL is a  fun game and matching is based on a rating/level system so starting out in LoL you will have some pretty weak players but by level 30 you will start to see those vlads that just will not die.... or the poppy that  makes you scared to be near any solid  object on the map, or fiddles/nunu/garen/shaco that makes you think twice before entering that bush.  Teamwork is key in LoL as much as it is in dota and team makeup is also important (lol ashe...)

• XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

This is just plain wrong! If you use team work you destroy a team that doesn't. I mean you HAVE to use strategy/teamwork if you are anything but bottom ELO. You may not have played this enough to know, but the game seems simple in its complexity. Yes it is a bit nicer for beginners than DOTA, but ELO allows it to scale with personal exp and skill. Always note that a team that plays together regularly will teach you alot more than just a pug group. Making friends in this game is more important than people think.

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

@ The OP:

I didn't really understand how intense LoL was until I hit the 28~ level range. I started getting queued in the guys that were 30 with over 500+ wins, and let me tell you, things severely changed.

Being a long time MMORPG player, I did notice "most" of the community is a bunch of punk kids who think their tough because they beat up on some noobs. Try grouping with one of those people when your team gets stomped - nothing like watching some kid flip out on everything that his team does, Lol.

Personally, I would get a few buddies and roll arranged queue.

Feel free to add me (Bedlem Wildfire)

BTW - I noticed the community became a lot more mature as I hit the late 20s (Just in general)