Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you recommend EQII to me?

2»

Comments

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Il ltry to make my statement short - I realy like the big things like the general idea behind EQ2, and i realy like combat, graphics (not character models), textures, geometry, but the little things just killed this game for me. Navigation, questing, zoning, accessibility and other little things just blow. Questing is a HUGE pain since you dont know when someone is gonna give you a quest, they dont always speak up when they have a quest ready and sometimes when they did speak up they didnt have any quests. Once I finish a quest , sometimes its realy hard to know where I should go to complete it: I found myself often ALT+TABing and going to a website to find that specific NPC.

Crafting does suck too, takes too long to make one item, cant make several items and in order to make one item you gotta make a lot of subitems.
    Example:
    1 item = Subitem a1
    a2
    a3
    a4
    2 or 3 ubitems require 4 of their own subitems
    Its a bit too much complicated for me.

I dont want to go into a lengthy discussion, so ill summarize - EQ2 has strong major sides, but the small little details are realy bad. Trying the isle wont show what the game trully is because I realy loved it there, but as soon as i went out into the city I started hating quests and anything to do wit hthe city.
    This all is my opinion.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• swiftflowswiftflow Member Posts: 239

I keep noticing former players really laying the wood to this game and I am one of them. That should tell you something about EQ2 right there. It is a game I would recommend experiencing just to say you did but wait until they are offering it retail for $9.99 or less since that is about all it is worth.

I also noticed on the homepage that Everquest 2 is about to slip off the "Highest Ranked MMORPG's" list. This is justice since the game never deserved to be there to begin with. image

• cumbomcumbom Member CommonPosts: 544

I honestly wouldn't reccomend EQ2 to anyone unless I really didn't like them!

From level 1-20 the game is fun, but after that and until I quit, the grind was boring, uninteresting, and annoying.

From level 25-30 spend like 2 hours trying to find a group in RoV (at least the times I played).  Got a good group but need a healer?  Good luck to ya.

30-38 or so its RE grinding for you, and the same problems as RoV.

Quests to get Epic things were long and boring, however I did enjoy the racing quest for the journey man boots.

Waiting 6 hours for a spawn and then having it stolen by someone who walked past it is alot of fun.

EQ2 has some nice things about it, but overall it pretty much blows.

BIGGEST PROBLEMS

• Boring Grind, Long Boring Grind!
    • Finding Groups
    • No PVP
    • Longest Spawn Times for Named Mobs I have ever seen

BIGGEST PROS

• CRAFTING IS NICE
    • GRAPHICS
    • 1 OR 2 NICE QUESTS

SWG RIP
    moctodumegws
    Can't WAIT!

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Here's the conclusion that I came up with mmorpgs.

You either hate a game or you'll love the game.

There's nothing wrong with you if you don't like the game

There's nothing wrong with you if you do like the game

There is something wrong when name calling is introduced to further one's own agenda (whatever that may be).

Keep it nice folks. Opinions are nice, flaming isn't

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• NaczelnykNaczelnyk Member Posts: 3

I like EQ2. It has pros and cons, sure, but I have a feeling that those who posted against eq2 played only beta or given up early, before recent changes.

And grinding is not everything. For those who want to rolelpay and look for mature, active and numerous rp community there is no other choice than EQ2 and Antonia Bayle server. Thats because EQ lore and style makes it easy to rp all kind of relationships, intrigue and politics, contrary to WoW which imho is well suited only to Mickey Mouse style roleplaying (because of design and I guess also lower average age of players).

Another thing I noticed is that those who seem to hate EQ2 most are WoW players. Well...when I want to play something more fast paced than EQ....I play Guild Wars. And comparing to GW WoW is just a weak, expensive and overrated game.

So...if you have some patience, you are not Blizz fanboy, you like to rp, you dont like leetspeak...I can recommend EQ2 to you.

• NiberNiber Member Posts: 203

For the record, I quit a few days ago. But I'm still technically active since my month hasn't expired. So I've seen most of their latest content including the kill the vampire to end the plague quest.

But yes, I don't mean to flame anyone if you asked me a month ago I thought EQ2 was awesome. I was very much a fanboy. If you enjoy it, more power to you. I hope it continues. But I know I'm left with a bitter taste in my mouth after seeing the game from start to finish and the lack of innovation I feel it has.

I do like the advice given, to wait till it drops to $9.95 and then give it a shot. If you're going to try it out I think ~10$ is where I'd price it's gameplay. [You can pick it up for $19.95 at most places now.]

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

PVP will be in EQ2 :P

Theres big arenas and atm theres a law saying you can't fight in them set by antonia bayle and lucan d'lere

So PVP will be coming with the next expansion and it wont be effecting the main game!

John smed told us so :P

• OttomarOttomar Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by WinkEnt

Is there a deep community?  Do people actually Roleplay?  Or is it like UO/WOW where everyone acts like little kid teenagers???

1. Not really. 2. Not many. 3. Yes, for the most part.

Tried: Most MMO's, Playing: EQ2

• DrfeelgoodDrfeelgood Member Posts: 19

As the 2 guys  ( Niber and Carufin in page 3 ) said, its basically a grind fest, either in terms of adventuring or crafting .

This game have nice graphics but nothing more for it ; there is very little thoughts on the game design itself, its a dumbed version of EQ1. The community isn't bad and quite mature, there is actually 2 roleplay servers, now about Pvp , I dont know about  what kind of PvP do you refer.  If you talk about pvp with item loot , I dont think its gonna happen ( unless they have a special server for that) because in order to use an item , U need to attune it to you, that means than once attuned , it become no-trade

Maybe they will have some kind of arena duel or a WoW flavor where PvP means nothing and just attract the worst idiots.

The game is tedious and the mobs you fight at 20 , you will find it again at 50, just with more hp , that's all.

The 45-50 scene is also very boring, the "epic" instances are just mini zones with usually 1 or 2 big mobs around lvl 52-54^^^ and a few minions of same lvl but only ^^ . There is very few strategies involved with these mobs, once you took care of the adds and if you raid is not dead yet, you  will win the fight with uber mob, its just a question of time. These mobs have tons of HP so it takes around 15-20 minutes to take them down , no surprise at all.

The heritage quests, past lvl 40 generally require to camp rares mobs for hours at best, or days if you're unlucky , so you just sit there with your group ( guildies of course coz after 1 hour, anybody in pick up groups will get bored and leave ), whacking the same mobs over and over, just hoping that the next pop will be the good one.

There was some good ideas into crafting but implementation in the game just made it even more boring than adventuring and while it  used to be at least interesting in terms of income when they launched the game , due to city wrists,  now its not worth it. When you hit around lvl 40 and go hunting in xp group , you make generally more money adventuring than crafting ( And who want to spend hours and hours pushing the same 3 buttons over and over to gain 1 lvl ???)

The biggest problem with this game is the decline in population, I used to play on an Euro server who was rather heavily populated at any time of the day, till World of Warcraft arrived in Europe , it was in february I think. 2 months later, you will be lucky to find more than 10 people lfg in level 40-50 range at peak time.

And one advice, do not listen the fan boys around, I'm sure they find watching paint dry uttlery exciting -))

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Ottomar
    Originally posted by WinkEnt
    Is there a deep community? Do people actually Roleplay? Or is it like UO/WOW where everyone acts like little kid teenagers???1. Not really. 2. Not many. 3. Yes, for the most part.

Hmm

Truthfully, let me answer those questions.

1. Is there a deep community?

Answer is Yes. Just log on during any weeknight and Antonia Bayle server will be "heavy." All others during the weeknights tend to be light to medium

On the weekends, all the servers I have seen are Medium to heavy. In terms of community; yes, but I will tie that into question 3

2. Do people actually roleplay?

Answer: I have only played on three servers and I would say about 50% of people roleplay. On the unofficial roleplaying server (Antonia Bayle) I would say almost 70% of everyone roleplay throughout their time.

3. Or is it like UO/WOW where everyone acts like little kid teenagers???

Answer: I will not vouch for WoW when it comes to people acting like teenagers as I have had very minimal experience with WoW, however, I have to state that I have run into a VERY mature player base on EQ2. Ive played many many mmorpgs in my time and EQ2 is second on the list of mature players (With EVE being number one, in my opinion)

I hope that helps

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• PBskaterPBskater Member Posts: 228
    no i wouldnt cause GW is out and its great.image
  • TildenTilden Member Posts: 94

EQ2 is only fun in the first 20 levels.

SOE has a penchant for making a fast, easy, exciting game to hook you, then they slow you waaay down so that your time investment increases exponentially. That means you pay and pay and pay to play. image

If you don't like grouping, you will only enjoy the game to 20. If you love being forced to group and even raid to progress, this game is for you. image

To me, EQ1 was far better into the high end game. With groups of 5 and 6, I could LDoN my way to some of the best gear in the game - better than my friend in his UBER-guild who had crappier equipment than I did. But even then, LDoN was the only option in a game where almost all the content was about 500+ people raids that took weeks of questing to unlock, 8+ hours per day to get to and prepare for and all for 1 stupid drop for 1 stupid person of the 500. image

EQ1 was better, IMO.

Games:
    WAR, LotRO, AO, GW, EQ, EQ2, AC, AC2, Vanguard, CoH, EVE, HZs, SO, MxO, SWG, DAoC, WoW, WWIIOL
    --------------------------------------

“There's a world behind the world, Professor Robinson. Lie once, cheat twice and everything becomes clear. Do not mistake my deception for a character flaw. It is philosophical choice, a profound understanding of the universe. It is a way of life.” - Doctor Smith

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

If you are not in a reasonably large guild or on a low populated server, you will struggle to find groups.

I have played EQ2 on/off from day 1 and it is a hugely frustrating game.

If you enjoy standing around for hours trying to get a group to do some obscure access quest dont bother, EQ2 is going downhill as more suits try to run it than people who actually enjoy games.

This is from someone who has defended EQ2 in the past, overly complex graphics engine leads to a weakened game for the typical computer owner. Why design a gfx engine that can evolve etc, when not make one that works well NOW not 5 years down the road? You just annoy customers for a good year or two in the hope that machine spec catch up, by that time your old audience is likely jaded and new players will be too disadvantaged especially if PvP is introduced.

There are some good ideas like heroic opportunities, but after the 200th time, you've seen it before.

Yes good fun for the first 20 odd levels, complete hell after that.

I had two accounts and I cancelled both today, game is way too frustrating now. Crafting is deadly boring in it now and the number of macroers is quite staggering.

Originally posted by Hashman

If you are not in a reasonably large guild or on a low populated server, you will struggle to find groups.
    I have played EQ2 on/off from day 1 and it is a hugely frustrating game.
    If you enjoy standing around for hours trying to get a group to do some obscure access quest dont bother, EQ2 is going downhill as more suits try to run it than people who actually enjoy games.
    This is from someone who has defended EQ2 in the past, overly complex graphics engine leads to a weakened game for the typical computer owner. Why design a gfx engine that can evolve etc, when not make one that works well NOW not 5 years down the road? You just annoy customers for a good year or two in the hope that machine spec catch up, by that time your old audience is likely jaded and new players will be too disadvantaged especially if PvP is introduced.
    There are some good ideas like heroic opportunities, but after the 200th time, you've seen it before.
    Yes good fun for the first 20 odd levels, complete hell after that.
    I had two accounts and I cancelled both today, game is way too frustrating now. Crafting is deadly boring in it now and the number of macroers is quite staggering.

I quit a few months ago and all it took was a simple press of a button but I heard that when you quit now they ask you a series of questions and practically beg you to stay. Is that true?

Q1 How long have you played Everquest 2?: A

0-30 Days // 1-3 Months // 4+ Months

Q: 2 What level was your main EQII character? A:

Level 1-10 // Level 11-20 // Level 21-30 // Level 31-40 // Level 41+

Q: 3 Why are you closing your EverQuest II account? (Check all that apply) A:

I tried the game and did not understand how to play.

The game does not perform well on my system.

The game has too many bugs.

I primarily play solo or paired and I ran out of fun things to do.

I primarily play in groups or raids and I ran out of fun things to do.

I am primarily an Artisan and I ran out of fun things to do.

I feel that my character was not advancing fast enough.

I feel that the game rules are too restrictive.

I am leaving to play with friends in another online game.

I did not like the game world or characters.

I did not like the quests I was asked to do or the rewards they gave.

I did not like the items in the game.

I did not feel there was enough story in the game.

I did not get the level of customer service necessary to enjoy my subscription.

I do not want to continue with EverQuest II due to Station Exchange.

None of the above corresponds to why I stopped playing EQII.

Q: 4 I would recommend EQII to a friend. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 5 I would consider returning to EQII at some point in the future. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 6 I am already playing another online RPG. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 7 My current PC system is equal to or greater than the EQII recommended system. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 8 I feel that the EQII web site is useful to players. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 9 I feel that the EQII forums are useful to players. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 10 I used the Station Players service and found it useful. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 11 I was very satisfied with the responsiveness of in-game Game Master support. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 12 I was very satisfied with the responsiveness of telephone support. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 13 I was very satisfied with the technical performance/stability of the game servers. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 14 I was aware of the Knowledge Base and how to access it. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 15 I used the Knowledge Base and was very satisfied with it. (Please answer Yes or No) A:

Yes // No // N/A

Q: 16 What is your opinion on EQII's Grouping: Adventuring and doing quests with others? A:

High // Medium // Low // Never Tried

Q: 17 What is your opinion on EQII's advancement in short play periods? A:

Q: 18 What is your opinion on the effectiveness of EQII's User Interface to manage inventory, set game window preferences, and display chat? A:

Q: 19 What is your opinion on the pacing of advancement/leveling opportunities in the game? A:

Q: 20 What is your opinion on the quality and quantity of EQII's rewards and loot received? A:

Q: 21 What is your opinion on the uniqueness of your character's abilities as well as his abilities to acquire items? A:

Q: 22 If we were to add even more features to EQII, which of the following might cause you to continue to play? A:

Player vesus player (PvP) rulesets using your adventuring character and abilities.

A dedicated PvP advancement path.

The addition of even more content that doesn't require a group.

The addition of even more high level zones.

The addition of even more interesting and unique loot.

Faster combat speed.

Faster travel options.

The ability to hire NPC group members to assist you.

An alternative system to sell items in-game.

An alternative system to sell items in-game.

The ability to create adventures or quests for your friends.

Even more plot-lines, in-game events, and holiday events.

Expanded player housing options.

Broader avatar appearance options.

A concentration on fixing the existing game instead of new features.

Q: 23 During a typical week, approximately how many hours did you play EverQuest II? A:

1-5

6-10

11-20

21+

Q: 24 Finish this sentence. … Usually when I play EQII, I play … A:

... Alone.

... Online with friends that I know in real life.

... With friends I met online.

... With strangers I met during game-play.

... With someone watching me play.

... With someone in the room playing with me, but on a different computer.

Q: 25 If you are leaving EQII, which of these online games are you are leaving it for? A:

World of Warcraft

City of Heroes

EverQuest

Dark Age of Camelot

LineageII

No Other Game

Q: 26 If you are leaving EQII, is it because your friends are leaving with you? (Please answer Yes or No) A

Yes

No

Next Screen

We regret that you are choosing to close your EverQuest II Account. Your experience with EverQuest II is very important to us. And we're constantly adding more and more exciting content to the game! For example, did you know that you can stay in touch with friends with our new in-game mail system?

We've specifically dedicated 100 developers to the live team, assuring a constant flow of new quests and adventures, expanding the game from within! Since EverQuest II launched, we've added over 5 content updates, eight new zones, 1100 new quests as well as new game systems. We want you to grow with us!

Thank you for taking part in this brief survey. Your survey responses will assist us in developing solutions to enhance our game-play. By increasing our overall customer satisfaction, we hope to entice you to return to EQII in the future

The EverQuest II team has designers dedicated to adding new, interesting items to the game. Solo creatures have recently received a major boost in the amount and quality of items that they drop. We will continue to add new items to be acquired through loot, quests, and crafting as the game matures.

Did you know that, at level 20, you may embark on an Armor Quest to gain a little extra personal protection? Armor Quests start at level 20. Tip: Heavy and medium armor wearers may begin by speaking to Dyric Pire in East Freeport or Ian Cathlan in Qeynos Harbor. Light armor wearers may begin their Armor Quest by speaking to Kirsteh the Witch in East Freeport or Gildas Cedartree in Eldarr Grove.

As you continue to gain levels, you will be able to choose from a wider variety of armor and clothing appearances for your character.

The EverQuest II team is dedicated to making the game as fun as possible, and have created a variety of entertaining methods for advancing quickly. For example, we've dramatically increased solo experience, small group experience, and quest experience since release. Tip: If you want to go for maximum experience efficiency, be sure to perform as many quests as you can and join groups in dungeons, where experience gain is greater than it is in outdoor zones. Dungeons include:

If you're from Qeynos:

The Crypt of Betrayal(begin a quest here by purchasing "Guide to Collecting Crypt Plates" book from Sage Indis Surion in Qeynos South)
    The Ruins of Varsoon (this dungeon is entered through a grate located in the Thundering Steppes)

If you're from Freeport:

Nektropos Castle(find Nektulos Forest accessed via the Commonlands)
    Edgewater Drains (begin a quest here by purchasing "The Trainee's Test" book from Sage Nevarius Orvalis in Freeport North)

Tip: A good way to acquire better armor is to embark on an Armor Quest. These special quests start at level 20. Heavy and medium armor wearers may begin by speaking to Dyric Pire in East Freeport or Ian Cathlan in Qeynos Harbor. Light armor wearers may begin their Armor Quest by speaking to Kirsteh the Witch in East Freeport or Gildas Cedartree in Eldarr Grove.

We want questing to be a fun and rewarding part of playing EverQuest II. We recently increased all quest coin and experience rewards to be commensurate with your accomplishment. There are thousands of quests in EverQuest II, and while the rewards given may be intended for certain levels of characters, we try to make the quests entertaining for all players.

Did you know that there are many types of quests available to the average player? Types include:

Collection Quests allow you to gather items and earn rewards from a Collector NPC. Collector NPCs can be found on the Isle of Refuge, East Freeport and North Qeynos.

The most notable Hallmark Quests will allow you to gain your City Citizenship (at level 7), your Class (at level 10), and your Subclass (at level 20). Others help you gain status points, or help you gain the loyalty of one or more groups in your home city.

Slayer Quests offer new players a starting path to becoming the greatest killer of Orcs, Gnolls, Skeletons, etc. The Slayer "system" tracks the number of times you are victorious in battle against certain monster types. You gain titles by accumulating a certain number of mob kills. Slayer ranks include Killer, Initiate Hunter, Accomplished Hunter, Initiate Slayer, Accomplished Slayer, Master Slayer, and Destroyer.

Armor Quests start at level 20. Tip: Heavy and medium armor wearers may begin by speaking to Dyric Pire in East Freeport or Ian Cathlan in Qeynos Harbor. Light armor wearers may begin their Armor Quest by speaking to Kirsteh the Witch in East Freeport or Gildas Cedartree in Eldarr Grove.

A Betrayal Quest is a long challenging path that takes you from one EQII world to another (good to evil, or evil to good). Tip: If your character is going from Good to Evil, you can acquire the quest from NPC Cordun Brenland in Qeynos Harbor. If your character is going from Evil to Good, you can acquire the quest from NPC Stilus Graphium in East Freeport.

If you would like a friend to try EQII, send them to www.trialoftheisle.comto download the 7 day trial offer. This is the best way to give your friends a taste of EverQuest II.

EverQuest II is a very friendly game. If you find yourself friendless, there are a number of ways to make new friends:

Join a guild

Meet other players through temporary grouping for specific encounters

Tell friends about the trial offer of Trial of the Isle. This will introduce them to your game

Mentor lower level players – Find out about our new in-game mentoring system.

Newer players will be glad to have the assistance and you'll make some new buddies in the meantime.

Two options followed, I chose number 1.

Option #1: I know, and I want to quit anyway

Option #2: Ok I'll give it another try

You have cancelled your subscription. Thank you for your patronage

LOL....holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!
    Note: You HAVE to answer majority of questions before it allows you to continue and to be fair an exit survey is better than nothing. Of course SoE are aware they are loosing players to WoW and other mmorpgs, look at the q's they ask and the A's they provide. Anyway swiftflow you are a troll and your attitude stinks I've answered your question for the rest, now do everyone a favour and fuck off.

Note: You HAVE to answer majority of questions before it allows you to continue and to be fair an exit survey is better than nothing. Of course SoE are aware they are loosing players to WoW and other mmorpgs, look at the q's they ask and the A's they provide. Anyway swiftflow you are a troll and your attitude stinks I've answered your question for the rest, now do everyone a favour and fuck off.

I ask a simple question and the panties get into a bunch....typical of the EQ2 crowd.
  • TildenTilden Member Posts: 94

Did you know that, at level 20, you may embark on an Armor Quest to gain a little extra personal protection? Armor Quests start at level 20. Tip: *************

The tip here is that when you want to start this rather necessary quest-chain, you better have at least one, full, solid group to fight the constant 3^s that are few and far between that everyone else is standing around for. If you do not have a solid group with 2 fantastic
    "Johnny-on-the-spot" healers - forget it.

Still, I am impressed by the effort Sony has exerted in a cancellation poll. They certainly are interested in finding out why people are quitting to make the game better.

Much like other games, EQ2 needs a lot of time to find the stream that carries the profit. Until then, it ain't worth it.

Games:
    WAR, LotRO, AO, GW, EQ, EQ2, AC, AC2, Vanguard, CoH, EVE, HZs, SO, MxO, SWG, DAoC, WoW, WWIIOL
    --------------------------------------

“There's a world behind the world, Professor Robinson. Lie once, cheat twice and everything becomes clear. Do not mistake my deception for a character flaw. It is philosophical choice, a profound understanding of the universe. It is a way of life.” - Doctor Smith