Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why has Lucasarts jumped ship?

13»

Comments

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Originally posted by NyQuil81

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Originally posted by greenbow54

The name of the game is "STAR WARS:the old republic"

After everything that Lucas has done to protect his baby over the years, the writer of that blog must have severe mental disabilities if he thinks that they would completely drop the project, especially one with so much money invested in it.

From what I've seen, the also terribly misinterpreted what actually happened.

"LucasArts has dropped out from publishing Star Wars: The Old Republic and EA will be the sole publisher of the game. This was done “so that all publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities can be centralized for efficiency.”

LucasArts will take on a licensing role in The Old Republic and will be closely involved with the project. BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka said, “a key partner, collaborating on design and marketing, and as a licensor of the property.”"

http://www.gamersworldbd.com/2010/11/lucasarts-drops-out-ea-publishing-star-wars-old-republic.html

Space combat isn't a key part of the game - it wasn't a key part of the movies either for those who actually watched them (prove me wrong). After seeing the videos of the "on-rails" style that we're being given, I'm more than happy. People see the negative in things far too much on this site.

Uh.... the DEATH STAR was kind of a KEY PART OF THE MOVIE.

Consider yourself proven wrong.... Christ. Doesn't anyone remember the original movies?

I do, and you're right.  Aside from lightsabers and jedi, the most memorable things from the SW movies for me were the TIE Fighters, the X-Wings, the Imperial Star Destroyers, the Millenium Falcon, heck, even the Naboo fighters and the Droid Tri-Fighters from the second trilogy were more memorable than most anything else.  It was the space, the ships, using asteroid fields to evade Imperial chase, travelling to distant planets and sometimes landing inside a large creatures stomach, that made the most impact on me.  And these things seem lost in this game.

Yes, there were parts of the movies that "were" in space, but for crying out loud, it was NEVER the FOCUS of the movies.  Those of you that claim to remember the original movies, ask yourself this simple question.  What were the scenes that involved space used for?  The answer for every scene except the the Death Star scenes, yes there were 2, were for transport between worlds.  How many times did Luke say to Han, Hey let's get into the Falcon and just go cruising and look for a couple TIE fighters to blow up.  It NEVER happened. 

I'm about to go super geek for a second, but the TIE fighter was a short range fighter, remember Ben said this in the first movie when they came out of hyper space at Alderon.  This is because TIE fighters were Twin Ion Engine "TIE" that obviously need fuel and if you remember, TIEs aren't big and don't have a large fuel capacity.  The large space combat scene in Return of the Jedi was between 2 fleets of ships, so what class becomes the Captain's and Admirals?  Are we playing Star Trek online or TOR? 

The story of Star Wars never was about space combat and if you think it was, then you need to watch the movies again to understand it was about the characters and thier efforts to overthrow an evil empire.  In other words, good vs evil.  Space travel was just that, travel!  The combat always took place around planets or fleet concentration areas.  It kept the story going, it never was THE STORY.  The focus of the Episode IV was Luke discovering his idenity, and his entrance onto the  universal stage of the Rebellion's efforts to rid the universe of the Emporer.  The Death Star's destruction was a major scene, but only to enforce the fact that Luke was going to become a powerful Jedi, like his father, not because it was combat in space.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Latronus

Originally posted by NyQuil81

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Originally posted by greenbow54

The name of the game is "STAR WARS:the old republic"

After everything that Lucas has done to protect his baby over the years, the writer of that blog must have severe mental disabilities if he thinks that they would completely drop the project, especially one with so much money invested in it.

From what I've seen, the also terribly misinterpreted what actually happened.

"LucasArts has dropped out from publishing Star Wars: The Old Republic and EA will be the sole publisher of the game. This was done “so that all publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities can be centralized for efficiency.”

LucasArts will take on a licensing role in The Old Republic and will be closely involved with the project. BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka said, “a key partner, collaborating on design and marketing, and as a licensor of the property.”"

http://www.gamersworldbd.com/2010/11/lucasarts-drops-out-ea-publishing-star-wars-old-republic.html

Space combat isn't a key part of the game - it wasn't a key part of the movies either for those who actually watched them (prove me wrong). After seeing the videos of the "on-rails" style that we're being given, I'm more than happy. People see the negative in things far too much on this site.

Uh.... the DEATH STAR was kind of a KEY PART OF THE MOVIE.

Consider yourself proven wrong.... Christ. Doesn't anyone remember the original movies?

I do, and you're right.  Aside from lightsabers and jedi, the most memorable things from the SW movies for me were the TIE Fighters, the X-Wings, the Imperial Star Destroyers, the Millenium Falcon, heck, even the Naboo fighters and the Droid Tri-Fighters from the second trilogy were more memorable than most anything else.  It was the space, the ships, using asteroid fields to evade Imperial chase, travelling to distant planets and sometimes landing inside a large creatures stomach, that made the most impact on me.  And these things seem lost in this game.

Yes, there were parts of the movies that "were" in space, but for crying out loud, it was NEVER the FOCUS of the movies.  Those of you that claim to remember the original movies, ask yourself this simple question.  What were the scenes that involved space used for?  The answer for every scene except the the Death Star scenes, yes there were 2, were for transport between worlds.  How many times did Luke say to Han, Hey let's get into the Falcon and just go cruising and look for a couple TIE fighters to blow up.  It NEVER happened. 

I'm about to go super geek for a second, but the TIE fighter was a short range fighter, remember Ben said this in the first movie when they came out of hyper space at Alderon.  This is because TIE fighters were Twin Ion Engine "TIE" that obviously need fuel and if you remember, TIEs aren't big and don't have a large fuel capacity.  The large space combat scene in Return of the Jedi was between 2 fleets of ships, so what class becomes the Captain's and Admirals?  Are we playing Star Trek online or TOR? 

The story of Star Wars never was about space combat and if you think it was, then you need to watch the movies again to understand it was about the characters and thier efforts to overthrow an evil empire.  In other words, good vs evil.  Space travel was just that, travel!  The combat always took place around planets or fleet concentration areas.  It kept the story going, it never was THE STORY.  The focus of the Episode IV was Luke discovering his idenity, and his entrance onto the  universal stage of the Rebellion's efforts to rid the universe of the Emporer.  The Death Star's destruction was a major scene, but only to enforce the fact that Luke was going to become a powerful Jedi, like his father, not because it was combat in space.

This, not sure why people cant understand this, just flipping through a new hope, and it has maybe, 1/2h of sdpace stuff, 15 minutes of which are the whole end death star scene, and the space spots that are there, are usually jumping between ground stuff on teh ship, and ships bigger than anything that would ever be playable.

Short version: heres the major space things that are going to happen in star wars.

Big battles with ships bigger than you would ever get to control. ( can be done without player flown ships)

Travel. ( can be done without player flown ships)

Escaping a planet (travel, but deserves something different) ( can be done without player flown ships)

big battles with ships you might actually be able to handle + big ships. ( can be done without player flown ships)

Dogfights (which arnt going to happen ins tar wars that often, at least not with any faction that has a fleet)

Now only one of these isnt possible to manage in this game, and its dogfighting, also happens to be the smallest one.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Just quoting this words from EA Louse http://ealouse.wordpress.com/ - proving again he was the real deal :

"And you know what they’re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That’s the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they’re panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can’t keep pushing back launch."

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Funny i thought they were most proud of their story, seeing as they keep talking about it.

Did you not get the notice that he was a disgruntled employee?

Edit:

As for the rest?

20 Gigs, not sure how big this will really be, but meh 20 gigs isn't really that much anymore, think AoC had something like 15G

as for it being VO work. Ten i guess they managed to fit all the animations, the planets, the fight sequences, the raids, the pvp, and all the space sequences into 5G, pretty amazing achievement.

Ea knows it? yeah guess that why they said they plan for the game to go 10 years cause they know it's a joke

Uh same as above LA still is involved, all they did was move the publishing rights to Ea (you did you know read the article right)

Yeah most of Mythic was moved because they needed someone on pvp and WH is not doing well.  Not sure cannibalize is the right word, more of moved to BW (they still have their name you know BW/mythic)

Like i said above hes a disgruntled employee that is over sensationizing to hurt the business when hes several thousand of miles away from the actual place it's being launched.  You know people can blow things out of proportion right? cause thats what he did there.  yeah hes a mythic employee, we known this about 2 days after it came out.  Still doesn't mean hes not blowing things out of proportion to make a shock statement.  He was fired, had a gruge and acted kinda childish.

Now if we can leave it at that and stop bringing him up, hes already been shown to be lying or at best incorrect in several instances.

I'm sorry but yeah hes a employee but he doesn't have any crediabililty any more with anyone that actually matters.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by whilan

Funny i thought they were most proud of their story, seeing as they keep talking about it.

I'm still waiting to see this so called proof that EALouse is th real deal that anti-SW:TOR posters kep touting.The only credible perosn I seen make any comment on the guy only commented to say he got the details of the incident she was involved in wrong and she never commented on any other part of his blog.

More anonymous people claiming to be (ex)EA/Bioware/Mythic employees posting on his blog claiming another anonymous claimant is right =/= to proof.Bioware/Mythic representative's choosing to ignore his blog rather thna give it more attention =/= to proof of blog's validity one way or another it's actualyl a good policy ofr Bioware/Mythic to take one way or another.

Now EALouse may turn out to be completely righ tin the end but thus far there is no reason to logically beleive his blog one way or another because there is no proof of his claims one way or another.

As to the original topic of this thread...jump to massive conclusions over very little info much?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

May not be a bad thing. Haven't been too impressed with many things LucasArts has touched in the past few years...longer in some cases. Leave it to creators that actually still respect the IP and are not merely trying to keep their pockets lined. Sure..making money is the goal of all business..just don't forget why you were able to make money off your creations in the first place . (Looking at you George)

Though I was happy they re-released a pimped out Monkey Island.

• CruncherSixCruncherSix Member Posts: 93

*snip*

20 Gigs, not sure how big this will really be, but meh 20 gigs isn't really that much anymore, think AoC had something like 15G

*snip*

20 Gigs is only for the voice overs the rest of the game might be an additional 10-20 Gigs.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by CruncherSix

*snip*

*snip*

20 Gigs is only for the voice overs the rest of the game might be an additional 10-20 Gigs.

Not sure what the big deal is anyway.

1TB HDD are how much nowadays?

Isn't the 'everything is voiced' the chief feature for SWTOR anyway?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• stevengwstevengw Member Posts: 53

Your all drifting to the dark side!

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) and Lucasfilm Ltd, announced today an updated global publishing agreement for the highly anticipated massively multiplayer online videogame Star Wars®: The Old Republic. With this new agreement, certain publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities previously designated to LucasArts will shift to EA, so that all publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities can be centralized for efficiency. Lucasfilm will continue serving as a key partner, collaborating on design and marketing, and as a licensor of the property. Star Wars: The Old Republic is designed to redefine the MMO category by introducing BioWare's signature storytelling and rich, emotional human performances to the genre. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Thats the part under dicussion and making people post idiotic post , Is Mike wrong ? nope

Does lucas arts dumps such promising successfull money venture !!!

OFFCOURSE NOT !! , 

Publishing Distrubution and Marketing (with in certain terms) is handled to EA , simply put in laymans term

That advertisement , distribution of the product in boxes and digital downloads will be solely in hands of EA .

So win win for lucas arts ,they still get part of the pie ,without having to do the dirty work .

I dont know what the big fuse is about this , other then people jumping to conclusion and making a fool of themself .

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Drakynn

I'm still waiting to see this so called proof that EALouse is th real deal that anti-SW:TOR posters kep touting.The only credible perosn I seen make any comment on the guy only commented to say he got the details of the incident she was involved in wrong and she never commented on any other part of his blog.

More anonymous people claiming to be (ex)EA/Bioware/Mythic employees posting on his blog claiming another anonymous claimant is right =/= to proof.Bioware/Mythic representative's choosing to ignore his blog rather thna give it more attention =/= to proof of blog's validity one way or another it's actualyl a good policy ofr Bioware/Mythic to take one way or another.

Now EALouse may turn out to be completely righ tin the end but thus far there is no reason to logically beleive his blog one way or another because there is no proof of his claims one way or another.

As to the original topic of this thread...jump to massive conclusions over very little info much?

Disgruntled FORMER employee and no proof to even that.  Seriously though, how many of you know someone that deserved to be fired and accepted responsibilty for his faults?  Pretty dang close to zero for me, so even if this guy is the real deal, his credibility is nil. 

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by MikeB

I believe he is referring to my column.

I couldn't answer the why for you, though Lucasfilm is still involved with the project's marketing and design on some level according to Bioware's Dr. Ray Muzyka.

The official press release can be found here. :)

I am confused.  The article states that marketing will shift completely to EA, then like 2 sentences later it says LucasArts will still be involved with marketing.  Which is true?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Just quoting this words from EA Louse http://ealouse.wordpress.com/ - proving again he was the real deal :

"And you know what they’re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That’s the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they’re panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can’t keep pushing back launch."

Nice quote, there's only one problem, the launch has never been pushed back. Not even once. Perhaps it will be in the future, but that would be no big surprise, most games usually go through at least one push back. Just more proof that EALouse didn't know what the heck he was talking about.

Not to mention the fact that we know much more about the game now and that it's soooo much more than sound. It's probably the largest MMO in history in terms of the physical world you can play in. I would tend to think that's where most of the 20gigs is invested...that's if he even guessed right at the installation size of the thing, which I doubt.

Edit: That bit in color...I'm thinking with the exception of Eve. Eve is vast, but it's also space, which I'm guessing is much easier to render than a ground based game.

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Originally posted by MikeB

I believe he is referring to my column.

I couldn't answer the why for you, though Lucasfilm is still involved with the project's marketing and design on some level according to Bioware's Dr. Ray Muzyka.

The official press release can be found here. :)

I am confused.  The article states that marketing will shift completely to EA, then like 2 sentences later it says LucasArts will still be involved with marketing.  Which is true?

Well marketing say anything about the SWTOR republic online can be handled completely by EA .

So any digiital goody involved in swtor mmo game , would belong to EA , profit offcourse has to be paid off with royalty .

Now example if SWTOR ever wants to make a cartoon or movie , that offcourse going to belong to lucas arts department.

Or has to be approved by them , now i hope you understand what i mean .

So basically my hunches about the deal , that wont be specified publicly , is probaly anything about SWTOR in digital or virtual goods can be marketed or sold by EA , without informing or asking Lucas Arts for permission .

Some other merchandise for example like authenticator also falls under this , but products like example WOOKIE DOLLS pyshically wouldn´t fall under that agreement .

Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Nice quote, there's only one problem, the launch has never been pushed back. Not even once. Perhaps it will be in the future, but that would be no big surprise, most games usually go through at least one push back. Just more proof that EALouse didn't know what the heck he was talking about.

Not to mention the fact that we know much more about the game now and that it's soooo much more than sound. It's probably the largest MMO in history in terms of the physical world you can play in. I would tend to think that's where most of the 20gigs is invested...that's if he even guessed right at the installation size of the thing, which I doubt.

Well this was one of the thing i liked about EA louse , between nose and lips he heard stuff thats very interesting .

20 GB Voice Over Acting can be correct , means most of the voice over acting are done , maybe we wont get 20 GB downloaded onto our HD, cause stuff might not be used or be used in future .

But thats how I interpeted it , Voice Over Quality Voice Over can be compressed and decompressed really quickly when times needed , but RAW Voice Over takes a lot of space .

But let people complain about it , its just like EA louse bloq small fry , even if people take seriously on the net .

It has no actual proof behind it , to me it means nothing , I can create a Bloq and write stuff that makes people cry for murder , but i still need actual facts to back it up .

So far the facts are lacking , just random old woman rumor monging thats getting very old indeed and making people look silly . Cause end deal , does anybody know EA louse ? Its just false Hype !

Same way reading gossip magazines about a man on mars must be true , with a well photoshopped picture ! ;)