Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lvling speed

LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

how quick is lvling in this game currently? Also how long does it take to cap on average? Any information would be great.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

Comments

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Im only level 23, but I would say the first 15 levels tend to go by at a decent pace. There is a lot to do and learn. Picking up collections take time and maybe its just me, but I always stop when i see something sparkle on the ground. I did find that I leveled very fast, maybe even to fast when I grouped up and did a instance. One thing that I would have to say is that if your going to play the game to race to the top level then maybe you should look at WOW. I have played a lot of MMO's and EQ2 seems more of an adventure then how fast you can make top level. I might be wrong though just because I am so new to the game.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

im not going to play wow I quit wow i was just curious of lvling speed in this game because its so top heavy I dont want to be lonely forever.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Leagolx

im not going to play wow I quit wow i was just curious of lvling speed in this game because its so top heavy I dont want to be lonely forever.

Lonely? Far from lonely. People talk a lot in chat. Most of it is actually decent talk and not like a bunch of kids talking in their own language.

At level 15 it took me maybe 3-5 min to find a group for an instance. I might have been lucky, but it does seem like all levels have groups going. im not in a guild yet, but I assume it would even be easier since a lot of vet's play alts.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

Im just saying what ive heard im getting ready to play it today.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

i'm a 6+ year veteran of EQ2, so i ain't gonna bs you.  The best and fastest way to level is by soloing.  Yes, there is lots of group and groupable content at all levels.  There are even some groups doing it.  But really, if you want to get to max level quick and to have decent AA (yes, AAs are very important too!)  then solo questing is the way to go.

I've seen someone go from 0 to 90 in under 24 hours of play during a double-xp weekend.  This was with all the possible xp bonuses stacked, so you won't be able to do it.

I'd say you're looking at about 100-150 hours of playtime if you dedicate yourself to leveling and have no help doing it.  

You should know, this coming week is double-xp week!  Very good time to start playing.  In general, this is a great time to get into the game, you have just over a month before the expac, so long enough to get to 90 and then enjoy it along with everyone else.

Make sure you roll on a populated server.  They've just merged a few of the servers, so most of them have good population.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• nobodycoolnobodycool Member UncommonPosts: 82

Leveling is actually very quick. But I do agree that soloing/questing is the way to go. You can cruise through really quick that way but I would also recommend you stop and smell the flowers as well. There is a lot to do and rushing just doesn't sound enjoyable to me. Also, AA exp is extremely important so you can shift the level gain between the two however you wnat to bottleneck your level gain or not.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

One basic rule is that if a game has occasional extra experience days or weekends, it's because it's rather grindy without them.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

the starting quests in the new starting zones will get you to 22 or so in the same time it used to take people to get to like 14.

i'd call it overall faster than LOTR but not quite as fast as wow to level.  but i'm relatively new.  (well, i played a long time ago when the game had a zillion memory leaks and etc but i really dont count that.)

also i think it's a fun game :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Quizzical

One basic rule is that if a game has occasional extra experience days or weekends, it's because it's rather grindy without them.

only time I ever found EQ2 anywhere near grindy, were original level 45 -50 and 53 or so - 60......but the old content been speeded up so much you hardly got space to do all the quests - which to me is a good thing, but you will be lacking AAs when reaching lvl 90, if you dont turn down adventure xp, converting them to AAxp, in lower levels.

I d like to know what game someone who call EQ2 grindy came from heh p

nah, it's not.  i mean.. unless you consider exploring new zones and doing new quests to be a grind.

EQ2 only has double-xp for like 2-3 days a couple of times a year.  Mostly to let people top up an alt or get those last 10AA points.  It's definitely not needed for regular leveling.  Although it obviously does help :)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by Hedeon

I d like to know what game someone who call EQ2 grindy came from heh p

Guild Wars, or more recently, Champions Online.

Above, arieste said 100-150 hours if you dedicate yourself to leveling.  I'd call that more grinding than I'd want to deal with, even if it's a lot less so than the stereotypical Korean grinder.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

The only part of EQ2 that you might say felt grindy was 70-80.  I didn't play very long once the new expansion came out, but I believe 80-90 is faster than 70-80 at least once was.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by arieste

i'm a 6+ year veteran of EQ2, so i ain't gonna bs you.  The best and fastest way to level is by soloing.  Yes, there is lots of group and groupable content at all levels.  There are even some groups doing it.  But really, if you want to get to max level quick and to have decent AA (yes, AAs are very important too!)  then solo questing is the way to go.

I've seen someone go from 0 to 90 in under 24 hours of play during a double-xp weekend.  This was with all the possible xp bonuses stacked, so you won't be able to do it.

I would disagree about soloing being the most efficient way to level. At least pre-50, you can easily get around 10-20 levels just by spending an hour or two in a dungeon.

Guild Wars, or more recently, Champions Online.

Above, arieste said 100-150 hours if you dedicate yourself to leveling.  I'd call that more grinding than I'd want to deal with, even if it's a lot less so than the stereotypical Korean grinder.

So let me put it another way.. if a new MMO said that it had approx 60 hours of content and 10 hours for every one of 6 available expansions, would you buy that MMO and all the expacs?

EQ2 has over 5000 unique quests.  Countless zones and dungeons.  Leveling one character in 100 hours won't even scratch a fifth of that.

I mean, SWTOR is promising 200 hours of content and people (including myself) are arguing that this isn't nearly enough.

We're talking about a "grind to cap", but you forget that these games aren't designed for "grinding to cap", they designed to be played and enjoyed from start to finish.  

- Raph Koster

• kevjards1234kevjards1234 Member Posts: 30

Have to say i,m playing this atm and loving it.i have had anything from wow to aion but i keep going back to vanguard and this game..they are both excellent.on the down side i checked out the shop..i am a gold subscriber.here is where sony really take the piss. it works out if i want to go plat and reach max lvl they want 1yrs sub which is £129..thats quite disgusting.for sentinals fate alone it works out about £35-£40.and even then if u dont pay them £129 then you cant take your char to max lvl..makes you laugh don 't it.

• toaster100toaster100 Member Posts: 45

I think soloing is probally the worst thing you can do in eq2. Yeah its the easiest way to get to top tier but in my opion the best tiers are from the beginging to Dof. So i would look for groups and balance your xp and aa so that you see all the lower dungeons because there are awesome.